Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne's World

Villa are all but relegated now. Hopefully we are on the phone and try and snap up Grealish as quick as possible

Clermontois

Supports
France
I don't get it either. Must be some kind of mancrush some have on him because he is not a very good footballer. For 25 millions max I'd probably take him as a back up option but that's it.
Think it must be something like that. I would have 30 mil as my max but not a penny more.

If that's the level and the criteria we are judging then we're never going to get back to being serious contenders. We've had enough stop gaps in the last 5 years
At this club I doubt he would look much better than Lingard. He has no outstanding attributes that I can see unless you count his ability to dive as one. In the very least Lingard has pace and you can't coach that.

He'd be a good signing for Everton
Up in lights mate.

Slysi17

The Cafe darling is so overrated in here. We should look at other options. He's not quick enough to be a backup winger on the left behind Rashford, not better than Pogba, Fred, Matic in a deeper role, and would get a limited amount of time in the AM role when Bruno needs a breather. Better options elsewhere for that kind of money.
Also I was called a wum for not wanting him and saying I thought he wasn't good enough. It's like people on here think he is the second coming of zinedine zidane.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think we will sign him if the price is right. Can cover all front 3 positions. Mata and Lingard would be moved out. Pogba, Matic,Fred and Scott for the 2 midfield spots. Rashy, Bruno,Sancho,Grealish,Greenwood,James,Pereira for the 3 attacking spots, Martial, Ighalo and Greenwood for striker.

Verminator

I don't see him fitting our fluid style at the moment.
He would suit a counter-attacking team at mid table level. Us before Bruno and without Pogba, maybe.

I would be underwhelmed if we bought him at any price. And increasingly disillusioned as the price rose.

Sancho as cover in AM and also across the front, makes far more sense, and is infinitely more desirable.

Walters_19_MuFc

The hype has gone because he's had a dip in form, but he's obviously still a good player. Statkstically, Grealish is still one of the most creative players in the league, where he has registered 2.6 key passes per game.

With Villa looking very likely to go down now, I would still love to have him as a squad player.

25-30M should do it.

Idxomer

I like him with reservations. I think he's one of the players who love to draw fouls with any contact and get a bunch of freekicks every game. Sometimes it's an advantage when the team isn't seeing much of the ball, but more often it slows the game for no reason. Hazard is usually an expert using it to the team's benefit. If he comes and improves that aspect from his game, he will be a success. It's difficult to see whether he would be able to do that if he's just a squad player.

Cloud7

He seems like he would be a good addition to the squad, although can’t see him breaking into the starting lineup, especially if we get Sancho.

I’m not averse to the signing, however I wouldn’t say we should spend any large chunk of money on him until the first team is optimized. First team first, squad after.

Suvvernmanc

I dont hate him, I dont love him (as a person). But I do think he's a top player and he would do very well for us.

His flaws as a player is that he can be a tad greedy and holds the ball too long at times but that's because he is by far Villas best player and his team mates are shit in comparison, so I feel he doesn't trust them sometimes. I think he would shake those flaws very quickly for us. That's my opinion.

His qualities are that he is versatile in playing different positions, fast (ish), can play a quality pass from anywhere, can score good goals, and his ball retention/press resistant qualities are superb. Nobody in the league compares in that regard.

He would, even for £50m give us much needed cover for Bruno and Rashford and would mean that we have a top creative central force for all competitions next season. This is the key! He could easily get 30 starts next year with Bruno still being the go too player. I personally dont see how anyone can say this would be a bad signing. I think too many on here say he's not good enough when in reality its because of their opinion on him as a person. A few will say hes not good enough and is Everton level but that just wrong. It seems bonkers to me how anyone can say he's not a good player. He if he doesn't come to us he will get a move to another top club and he'll be class for them instead.

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

It all depends on price. I think in the current environment, 30m is fair for him, maybe 40 max. If Villa ask more than that, then move on. We could get Buendia for cheaper probably, or Brooks from these relegated teams.

Prodigal7

I dont hate him, I dont love him (as a person). But I do think he's a top player and he would do very well for us.

His flaws as a player is that he can be a tad greedy and holds the ball too long at times but that's because he is by far Villas best player and his team mates are shit in comparison, so I feel he doesn't trust them sometimes. I think he would shake those flaws very quickly for us. That's my opinion.

His qualities are that he is versatile in playing different positions, fast (ish), can play a quality pass from anywhere, can score good goals, and his ball retention/press resistant qualities are superb. Nobody in the league compares in that regard.

He would, even for £50m give us much needed cover for Bruno and Rashford and would mean that we have a top creative central force for all competitions next season. This is the key! He could easily get 30 starts next year with Bruno still being the go too player. I personally dont see how anyone can say this would be a bad signing. I think too many on here say he's not good enough when in reality its because of their opinion on him as a person. A few will say hes not good enough and is Everton level but that just wrong. It seems bonkers to me how anyone can say he's not a good player. He if he doesn't come to us he will get a move to another top club and he'll be class for them instead.
Agreed. His agent gave a recent interview saying he could move to Europe and play CL there as an option

Judas

Open to offers
You just can't judge him fully when he's playing for such a truly terrible team who are totally relying on him to do so much. I find it a bit strange people are so quick to write him off. But then that's what the Caf does.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think he’d absolutely thrive if we signed him. So difficult to judge him based on performances in this villa team which look absolutely hopeless

Infestissumam

I'd still absolutely love to have him. It's obviously difficult for him right now, he clearly stands out in a poor Villa squad and teams will always focus on shutting him down. But even against us, he caused some problems in the first 20 with his movement and I'm sure he'd thrive in a strong team that plays positive football. He'd be a phenomenal addition.

kitress

People shouldn't be so snarky writing him off while we have Daniel fkin' James as the first backup option on the wings. Now that was a waste of money.

Andersonson

Villa are all but relegated now. Hopefully we are on the phone and try and snap up Grealish as quick as possible
Hopefully not. Not good enough. And he'd be to expensive for a backup role.

As a captain for a team that is about to be relegated, he has failed to impact them. Looks like he has given up already.

Donald Silverbridge

Last post of the day, Shay Given has said he expects Jack Grealish to join us this summer, I hope that's true, He would be a good signing for us in my opinion.

He’s a very busy player.

It’s a shame he’s not played internationally as that would give us more of a picture of how effective he would be in a better side. That’s the risk.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don’t rate him personally. Watched him a bit more in recent games I just think we should be aiming at players in the level above him.

He’s like a good Europe league level team. Not a Champions League level team player that we should be looking at. If we get Sancho he doesn’t start and probably doesn’t even without Sancho IMO

m1tch

People shouldn't be so snarky writing him off while we have Daniel fkin' James as the first backup option on the wings. Now that was a waste of money.
If he costs the same as James then it won't be so bad, he's not worth anymore than that. Unless of course we're looking to announce a new official ankle sock sponsor and then it would at least make commercial sense to sign him.

vodrake

I think his style of holding on to the ball too long to draw in tackles and win free kicks is fine for a struggling team that relies on set pieces, but could become frustrating in a team that wants to play fluid attacking football with lots of quick passing

SaboTaj

IF Villa do get relegated, I’d actually want us to have a good look at Douglas Luiz too. He is a tidy DM, and would play that role better than either Fred or McTominay.

mu4c_20le

I think his style of holding on to the ball too long to draw in tackles and win free kicks is fine for a struggling team that relies on set pieces, but could become frustrating in a team that wants to play fluid attacking football with lots of quick passing
Haven't thought of this but actually sounds useful for when we're struggling to break down 10 men behind the ball.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don’t rate him personally. Watched him a bit more in recent games I just think we should be aiming at players in the level above him.

He’s like a good Europe league level team. Not a Champions League level team player that we should be looking at. If we get Sancho he doesn’t start and probably doesn’t even without Sancho IMO
I wouldn't judge him too much on his post lockdown form but that being said if the transfer goes ahead and we keep Pogba his role would be as a squad player and he's most definitely a step up from the likes of Lingard and Andreas in that regard

If he was being brought in as a Pogba replacement as was initially suggested then yeah you would look at this post lockdown form and be slightly concerned but again as a squad player I think he'd be a step up on what we've got

JohnnyLaw

He won’t have the licence to strut around here the way he does at Villa.
Still, pretty useful skill to use when you’re winning.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its not exactly his style and you see it happen with creative players who don't play without alot of quality around them like Pogba at United when playing with the likes of Pereira and Lingard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
IF Villa do get relegated, I’d actually want us to have a good look at Douglas Luiz too. He is a tidy DM, and would play that role better than either Fred or McTominay.
Why not go for McGinn as well? :lol:

Nah seriously there's a reason Villa are where they are

PoTMS

Admittedly don't watch him often but the games I have seen, he seems to lack a footballing brain. Is that being overly harsh?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So it works for a struggling team but not a bigger team.

Crazy suggestion, so perhaps he’s told to do it then because he’s on a struggling team and it works. And if he was on a better team he’d be told to do it less. It’s only a theory but I think players can do different things in different circumstances.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I wouldn't judge him too much on his post lockdown form but that being said if the transfer goes ahead and we keep Pogba his role would be as a squad player and he's most definitely a step up from the likes of Lingard and Andreas in that regard

If he was being brought in as a Pogba replacement as was initially suggested then yeah you would look at this post lockdown form and be slightly concerned but again as a squad player I think he'd be a step up on what we've got
Would he be happy to sit on the bench most of the time. He’s the main man right now, I think he’d want to be valued more and given more assurances than we can give him.

I’m assuming Pogba stays so he’s not a starter. You’re right about being a Pereira/Lingard upgrade but I’m sure we can get someone better than them for less than Grealish. I’ve watched him more recently but I’ve also seen quite a bit of him over the last two seasons. I just don’t really buy into the hype. IMO he’s another Zaha who likes being a big fish in a small pond and would be too much of a financial risk to see if he can play at the level we want to be at.

mu4c_20le

A clear upgrade for our bench. I think Ole appreciates his versatility, and it'd be interesting to see how he does alongside some quality players.

JohnnyLaw

Would he be happy to sit on the bench most of the time. He’s the main man right now, I think he’d want to be valued more and given more assurances than we can give him.

I’m assuming Pogba stays so he’s not a starter. You’re right about being a Pereira/Lingard upgrade but I’m sure we can get someone better than them for less than Grealish. I’ve watched him more recently but I’ve also seen quite a bit of him over the last two seasons. I just don’t really buy into the hype. IMO he’s another Zaha who likes being a big fish in a small pond and would be too much of a financial risk to see if he can play at the level we want to be at.
Palace never got relegated though. If Villa go down it’ll be completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.