g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

yan man utd

Yeah, this. I cant believe people still are hammering on about possible game time when it is right in their faces precisly now, almost literally, what happens when you only have 10-11 «starters» in the club.
Exactly. If we don’t get Grealish then god help us. In the last 4 matches Pogba has turned into Carlton Palmer and Bruno has shown he cannot be relied upon in a possession based game.
Can anyone remind me of any other technically gifted midfielders in our squad who have an ability to keep the ball in tight situations, creativity and ability to pass accurately.
Unfortunately that brings us to the next question. How many times do we have to spend 50 or 80 million to land a half decent player. We seem to have to buy 2/3/4 times to fill one position never mind revamp the squad.
We have 2 perennially hospitalised centre backs or maybe it’s 3. We loan out Smalling who has been our best defender for the last 5 years, we spend 130 million on 2 defenders when it seemed obvious to me that we lack players who can retain the ball in tight situations in central midfield Including a proper dynamic and savvy DM like neves or kante and a player to replace Herrera.
We simply cannot rely on the following players if we want to dominate the opposition with an aggressive and possession based game:

Lindelof
Wan bissaka
Pogba
Fred
Mctominay
James

this is based on performance, and under the current management the above players are simply being exposed for their weaknesses time and again and don’t seem to improve.

For instance, If I had Pogba in my squad I would be working very closely with him in terms of muscle memory and changes in tempo (leg movement) and direction. He seems to be regressing! Then again the movement in the team and ability to score goals through synergy rather than individual technical ability is lacking

Either we change management and trust that they Are getting the best out of the players or if they truly are getting the best out of the players then we need not only Grealish ( because one attacking midfielder - Bruno is not enough) but replacements for all of the 6 above players and I haven’t even included de gea - with who we won’t go anywhere.

the above 6 players are decent squad players. I honestly have to say that it’s literally been down to our front 3 and Bruno to allow us to stumble into 3rd and yet I can see it going horribly wrong on Sunday.

how can we be confident when we have seen Southampton and West Ham expose our weaknesses with a more sophisticated game plan. Can anyone remember the misery during the final games of last season. Where is the evolution?

gajender

Exactly. If we don’t get Grealish then god help us. In the last 4 matches Pogba has turned into Carlton Palmer and Bruno has shown he cannot be relied upon in a possession based game.
Can anyone remind me of any other technically gifted midfielders in our squad who have an ability to keep the ball in tight situations, creativity and ability to pass accurately.
Unfortunately that brings us to the next question. How many times do we have to spend 50 or 80 million to land a half decent player. We seem to have to buy 2/3/4 times to fill one position never mind revamp the squad.
We have 2 perennially hospitalised centre backs or maybe it’s 3. We loan out Smalling who has been our best defender for the last 5 years, we spend 130 million on 2 defenders when it seemed obvious to me that we lack players who can retain the ball in tight situations in central midfield Including a proper dynamic and savvy DM like neves or kante and a player to replace Herrera.
We simply cannot rely on the following players if we want to dominate the opposition with an aggressive and possession based game:

Lindelof
Wan bissaka
Pogba
Fred
Mctominay
James

this is based on performance, and under the current management the above players are simply being exposed for their weaknesses time and again and don’t seem to improve.

For instance, If I had Pogba in my squad I would be working very closely with him in terms of muscle memory and changes in tempo (leg movement) and direction. He seems to be regressing! Then again the movement in the team and ability to score goals through synergy rather than individual technical ability is lacking

Either we change management and trust that they Are getting the best out of the players.If they truly are getting the best out of the players then we need not only Grealish ( because one attacking midfielder - Bruno is not enough) but replacements for all of the 6 above players and I haven’t even included de gea - with who we won’t go anywhere.

the above 6 players are decent squad players. I honestly have to say that it’s literally been down to our front 3 and Bruno to allow us to stumble into 3rd and yet I can see it going horribly wrong on Sunday.

how can we be confident when we have seen Southampton and West Ham expose our weaknesses with a more sophisticated game plan. Can anyone remember the misery during the final games of last season. Where is the evolution?
Please tell us more about these teams sophisticated plans I am really curious because there was none.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We beat City & Chelsea 2-0 with Fred instead of Pogba in midfield. You really think we'll do anything much better than those results with Grealish instead?
And I can point to a number of games we lost with Fred in midfield. Grealish has different qualities to Fred and is more dangerous going forward.

I just find it really bizarre that we don’t seem to want good footballers in our club, I know when I’m back at old Trafford I’d love to see Grealish and others in red, and no I’m not going to worry about fitting them in or upsetting other players.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No way should we pay anything close to 80 mill for him. He is a 30-40 mill player at max.
Then we shouldn't even bother going to Villa with that. They'd laugh us and everyone else out the door at that price.

You know and they know, we were willing to offer £30m for Bellingham? What are they going to say when we come to them with similar for Grealish? A seasoned PL player?

Berbasbullet

Then we shouldn't even bother going to Villa with that. They'd laugh us and everyone else out the door at that price.

You know and they know, we were willing to offer £30m for Bellingham? What are they going to say when we come to them with similar for Grealish? A seasoned PL player?
Don’t disrespect Jude, Birmingham don’t retire shirts just for anyone....

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And I can point to a number of games we lost with Fred in midfield. Grealish has different qualities to Fred and is more dangerous going forward.
If those number of games are the ones when we played Lingard & Pereira before Bruno came that's kinda unfair isn't it. Those two are pretty much worse than McGinn, the player that Grealish is playing with right now.

But Fred's role isn't about going forward since he plays in the double pivot not in a 10. Sancho, Pogba & Bruno would offer much more than Grealish in going forward when they play in a 10. So if there is a choice who should play in a 10 if let's say Bruno injured, Pogba & Sancho will be better candidate to replace the no 10 spot since they offer more than Grealish, don't you think?

Berbasbullet

If those number of games are the ones when we played Lingard & Pereira before Bruno came that's kinda unfair isn't it. Those two are pretty much worse than McGinn, the player that Grealish is playing with right now.

But Fred's role isn't about going forward since he plays in the double pivot not in a 10. Sancho, Pogba & Bruno would offer much more than Grealish in going forward when they play in a 10. So if there is a choice who should play in a 10 if let's say Bruno injured, Pogba & Sancho will be better candidate to replace the no 10 spot since they offer more than Grealish, don't you think?
Grealish will eat Mata, Perreira, and Lingards minutes, which is plenty.

Tbh I’m not sure why we’re talking about Fred, and don’t see the point of moving players out of their regular positions to cover Bruno, and we haven’t signed Sancho.

Let’s agree to disagree I don’t care anymore.

King_Cantona07

For the right amount, he will be a very good addition to the squad. He is pretty good at resisting the press, showing up under pressure and breaking the line with passes to run onto (the kind of passes pacy forwards like to deal with, who we have plenty in Rashford, Martial, James and Mason). The drop of quality in the team after starting 3 attackers, Bruno, Pogba is there to see. This is where he will be useful either to rotate or start in games when rotation is needed. Else will end up having tired Bruno and Pogba for key games resulting in defeats.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We clearly need him but I'm surprised people are still talking with optimism that we should get him given Villa are looking likely to stay up and he would cost a lot more

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Grealish will eat Mata, Perreira, and Lingards minutes, which is plenty.

Tbh I’m not sure why we’re talking about Fred, and don’t see the point of moving players out of their regular positions to cover Bruno, and we haven’t signed Sancho.

Let’s agree to disagree I don’t care anymore.
Technically Bruno is the one who eat those three minutes right now. Those three barely even play ever since Bruno came.

The reason why we are talking about Fred is because he can also provide the rotation option.

Sancho is our no 1 target, it makes sense to talk the potential what he can bring to the squad. He provides 7 goals and 2 assists in 10 games as a no 10. If we don't sign Sancho then I have no issue spending that big money fees on Grealish & I also have no issue getting Sancho & Grealish since I do think Grealish is a good player.

However, if we are going to spend big money again for our 2nd signing, we might want to spend it on defense first before Grealish.

SecondFig

Logically, we need a defensive midfielder (someone who can control the tempo) and a better CB far more than we need Grealish (assuming we get Sancho).

But despite that, I'd still love us to get Grealish - he just strikes me as a United player

Berbasbullet

Technically Bruno is the one who eat those three minutes right now. Those three barely even play ever since Bruno came.

The reason why we are talking about Fred is because he can also provide the rotation option.

Sancho is our no 1 target, it makes sense to talk the potential what he can bring to the squad. He provides 7 goals and 2 assists in 10 games as a no 10. If we don't sign Sancho then I have no issue spending that big money fees on Grealish & I also have no issue getting Sancho & Grealish since I do think Grealish is a good player.

However, if we are going to spend big money again for our 2nd signing, we might want to spend it on defense first before Grealish.
Yes and those three don’t play because they aren’t good enough, hence why we had to run Bruno into the ground.

I agree with your second paragraph, and I’m the same if we get both I’m happy but I mostly want Sancho anyway.

Swearing Budgie

Grealish is class. He won't go anywhere to be a squad player or someone to come off the bench. Some of you are so deluded.

yan man utd

Please tell us more about these teams sophisticated plans I am really curious because there was none.
well - mate. We are the biggest club in the world and to put it politely we did not outplay either team.
In fact, with lesser players both teams outplayed us with superior ball retention combinations and more organised patterns of play.

I don’t want an argument, but I’m curious to know why we should not expect more. Even, if you like not because we are Manchester United, but because we have a far more expensive and talented bunch of players.

Other than having more sophisticated tactics, how do you explain both of those teams getting the better of us for large parts of the game?

please enlighten me

theklr

Grealish is class. He won't go anywhere to be a squad player or someone to come off the bench. Some of you are so deluded.
He'll stay in Villa then? City seems to be the only one also looking at him, and he would have had alot of bench time there as well.

yan man utd

Logically, we need a defensive midfielder (someone who can control the tempo) and a better CB far more than we need Grealish (assuming we get Sancho).

But despite that, I'd still love us to get Grealish - he just strikes me as a United player
you’ve hit the nail on the head. I would add that without a commanding goalkeeper we will not challenge for top honours, in the modern game. We can’t survive a hard press against West Ham or Southampton and without a confident goalkeeper and as you have said CB to displace Lindelof and a DM who can keep ball and dictate tempo (as well as Grealish and sancho), then - assuming we keep the current management that can’t do klopp like transformations of average players to marathon/world beaters - We simply need to buy the footballing equivalent of the Harlem globe trotters

I hope I’m wrong but something tells me that we’ll still be blaming the players after another 6 signings

Redlyn

He can play every minute where he is or go somewhere where there is a chance for trophies and fight for his place. He will be getting good minutes regardless as there are too many games in a season. Players not getting enough minutes are really just not good enough.

croadyman

Yeah he just seems like the type of player who was just destined to wear that Utd shirt. We shouldn't turn down the chance to sign him just because it would affect Fred or Pereiras game time either.

I agree that we desperately need a DM this summer but for some reason the club just doesn't see it as a high priority.

In regards to a CB I still think we could bring one in after we have sold at least a couple of them first.

theklr

Well, with the amount of fouls Grealish gets he can for sure at least lower the tempo if we needed too.

Would be so good to have him in those games where we get pressed to bits lately.

Might be why Solskjær want him too.

croadyman

We clearly need him but I'm surprised people are still talking with optimism that we should get him given Villa are looking likely to stay up and he would cost a lot more
I suppose I am naively hoping that he has already agreed he can leave at the end of the season for a certain price whether they stay up or not

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
But neither can he expect to join a top club and start over other good players. That's not how it works these days.

If he wants continuous game time, stay at Villa

gajender

well - mate. We are the biggest club in the world and to put it politely we did not outplay either team.
In fact, with lesser players both teams outplayed us with superior ball retention combinations and more organised patterns of play.

I don’t want an argument, but I’m curious to know why we should not expect more. Even, if you like not because we are Manchester United, but because we have a far more expensive and talented bunch of players.

Other than having more sophisticated tactics, how do you explain both of those teams getting the better of us for large parts of the game?

please enlighten me
There were no sophisticated tactics by either Southampton or West Ham ,United were just too poor and look completely out of gas at moment ,Southampton did press us but it wasn't some new tactic which was sprung on us West ham Sat off us most of the game but we kept giving away the ball inexplicably which allowed them to grow in confidence nothing more .
I do have higher expectations from United and we should be dominating these teams but we being poor was more on us than them and absolutely nothing to do with sophisticated tactics you must be adept at some real mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion.

sherrinford

Why do folk think Villa staying up or going down will heavily impact the amount they would want for Grealish?

croadyman

Apparently Mitten thinks Utd won't go for him due to the lockdown incident. I hope that isn't the case and Ole gives him chance to prove him wrong.

yan man utd

There were no sophisticated tactics by either Southampton or West Ham ,United were just too poor and look completely out of gas at moment ,Southampton did press us but it wasn't some new tactic which was sprung on us West ham Sat off us most of the game but we kept giving away the ball inexplicably which allowed them to grow in confidence nothing more .
I do have higher expectations from United and we should be dominating these teams but we being poor was more on us than them and absolutely nothing to do with sophisticated tactics you must be adept at some real mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion.
Mate this is not an explanation on any level let alone for Manchester United. ‘Out of gas’... ‘inexplicably giving the ball away’. And it’s not just these 2 games!
Why are we ‘out of gas’?
Why are we ‘inexplicably giving the ball away’?

ok as I said I don’t want this to be a tit for tat debate. You questioned my post, so I will explain further.

in simple terms Manchester United should never look like they are defending for their lives, let alone against West Ham, southAmpton not to mention Crystal Palace!

if you are set up correctly with the right dynamics and game plan then with patently vastly superior resources, better players as well as what should be a more sophisticated management and coaching team, then the worst that can happen is that you dominate these types of teams but can’t beat the goalkeeper or create enough chances to win - not spend the match chasing the ball. Let me elaborate - and I have experience playing. You get gassed out CHASING the ball if you don’t have possession- it’s a classic tactic! keep ball and dominate and tire the opposition. Yet as I said - SOUTHAMPTON are giving us the run around!!!!

yes more sophisticated tactics because the players in their team - with inferior natural ability are better drilled and have better movement and more intricate patterns of play, so when we lose the ball it takes an age to win it back

as United fans we surely have much higher expectations and are not obliged to offer excuses of tiredness, and when we consistently give the ball away it is has to be questioned!

unfortunately there are clear flaws in the team - it starts from de geas lack of confidence and a passive Lindelof and a casual pedestrian Pogba.

Are you telling me the set up of the team looks right when the ball is getting shuttled between gk and cbs along our 6 yard box then one of them pelts it out of play?

There is something seriously wrong mate...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No manager is going to start Grealish's quality over Pogba & Bruno quality in the final game of the season that determine the top 4 spot. This is not mid-season, it's the final game of the season.
Maybe, maybe not. He would have started at least a couple of games during this run-in, which would have meant that the other players weren't so exhausted.

Ultimately this entire thing depends on how highly you rate Grealish. You, and some others, obviously feel there is a significant gap between him and the likes of Rashford and Bruno. Others feel that the gap isn't that big, so he would play some games in rotation and have periods where he's first choice ahead of somebody else because he's outperforming them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Apparently Mitten thinks Utd won't go for him due to the lockdown incident. I hope that isn't the case and Ole gives him chance to prove him wrong.
He’s been reading my posts then ;)

I do think it’s a serious enough show of everything Ole has said he doesn’t want for it to put him off. Especially when compared to Rashford.

It’s a shame he did it because he’d be a good signing if he wasn’t such a knob.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He won't go to a top top team then if he doesn't want to be a squad player. Won't start at Liverpool with their set up. Won't start at City over De Bruyne, Bernardo, they have Foden who is getting better and better. Won't start at United over Bruno/Rashford/Pogba. Chelsea is getting Ziyech and likely Havertz. No difference between him and Maddison for Leicester, but maybe on the left for them. So he's already looking at best for the current 5th place team if he wants to go somewhere as a starter. There's loads of creative players around. He's squad player level for top clubs, starting level for Europa League level.

Redlyn

No way should we pay anything close to 80 mill for him. He is a 30-40 mill player at max.
AWB went for 50m for a fullback and hardly as essential to his team as Grealish. I reckon lower end for him is 50m not 30m.

poleglass red

Problem for selling clubs is that post covid a lot of clubs won't be as quick on the trigger to splash the cash. We've already seen Liverpool back out of the Werner deal, Real making noises about not being active in upcoming window. Pre covid media were quoting 80 million each for players like Grealish and Rice, I don't think they get anything close to that. There just simply won't be the demand that normally would be there, if either club gets 50 mill I'd say they've done well, maybe even mid 40 with add ons

croadyman

Problem for selling clubs is that post covid a lot of clubs won't be as quick on the trigger to splash the cash. We've already seen Liverpool back out of the Werner deal, Real making noises about not being active in upcoming window. Pre covid media were quoting 80 million each for players like Grealish and Rice, I don't think they get anything close to that. There just simply won't be the demand that normally would be there, if either club gets 50 mill I'd say they've done well, maybe even mid 40 with add ons
Yeah it could actually be Ole's view on him that decides whether we pull the trigger rather than the price

Right now my gut feeling is he has blown his chance of a move to Utd by that incident.

Last edited:

Daverson

If he must sign for us can we stipulate in his contract that he must have a haircut? Like a proper one?

Status
Not open for further replies.