Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
I was in the beginning against a Grealish transfer but after watching the West ham game and seeing the lack of composure from Bruno Fernandes and Rashford in the final third i wouldn’t mind having Grealish as an option in certain games.

theklr

Yeah it could actually be Ole's view on him that decides whether we pull the trigger rather than the price

Right now my gut feeling is he has blown his chance of a move to Utd by that incident.
Must be quite the bad hangover that one, antagonized half of England in press and social media and possibly ruined your chances for playing for your dream club while earning 150-200k a week.

Anyone remember us signing other players with that sort of bad reputation btw?

Superunknown

If he's there and the signing is achievable, then we should look at it. We do need additional options in pretty much all areas of the field, and there will be a time where fatigue and injuries come into play.

With regards to his attitude, maybe we could help him with that side of things. Ole seems like a very professional manager who will show him how to conduct himself in a certain way. It might actually be a great move for Grealish for that very reason. I do look at him and see qualities that could make him a great United player, but he won't just casually turn up and be the best player here like he has done at Villa; he will have to work at it.

I would pursue the move, but it's not going to make or break us for next season. We have other priority areas too, such as the defensive positions. In fact, that entire back 5 needs looking at, annoyingly the goalkeeper position, too. If we've got limited funds, we need to look at those areas first. I would like to see Grealish come, but I would be more than fecked off if we prioritised him over a quality centreback, for example.

croadyman

If he's there and the signing is achievable, then we should look at it. We do need additional options in pretty much all areas of the field, and there will be a time where fatigue and injuries come into play.

With regards to his attitude, maybe we could help him with that side of things. Ole seems like a very professional manager who will show him how to conduct himself in a certain way. It might actually be a great move for Grealish for that very reason. I do look at him and see qualities that could make him a great United player, but he won't just casually turn up and be the best player here like he has done at Villa; he will have to work at it.

I would pursue the move, but it's not going to make or break us for next season. We have other priority areas too, such as the defensive positions. In fact, that entire back 5 needs looking at, annoyingly the goalkeeper position, too. If we've got limited funds, we need to look at those areas first. I would like to see Grealish come, but I would be more than fecked off if we prioritised him over a quality centreback, for example.
Very good post and maybe Ole needs to have a chat with Axel who would have seen what he's like on a daily basis whilst on loan there

Reyoji-Utd

Its a squad games nowadays. You cannot have only 11 best players to play all the time. Just look at what we have played the last few weeks and the last few performances and you would be crazybto think we do not need him if we have the option to buy him.

croadyman

Its a squad games nowadays. You cannot have only 11 best players to play all the time. Just look at what we have played the last few weeks and the last few performances and you would be crazybto think we do not need him if we have the option to buy him.
Totally agree with you

Redlyn

If he must sign for us can we stipulate in his contract that he must have a haircut? Like a proper one?
And wear normal sized shorts. He needs to hand down his current ones to his son or nephew.

Tony247

Its a squad games nowadays.
tbh it was a squad game even yesterday. There are always few untouchable players who play when fit and then there is rotation. We cannot dream of winning a long run competition without a decent squad. We are at least 2 years away from challenging title imho.

In addition of buying likes of Grealish we should also invest in james like cheaper options.

Bondi77

It will be interesting to see how he plays in his final game of the season as it is a must win for Villa so there will be pressure on Grealish being the Captain and main man after all;
We do have players who go missing on the occasions they should be stepping up so I welcome his addition if he turns it on for his boyhood team one more time.

Reyoji-Utd

tbh it was a squad game even yesterday. There are always few untouchable players who play when fit and then there is rotation. We cannot dream of winning a long run competition without a decent squad. We are at least 2 years away from challenging title imho.

In addition of buying likes of Grealish we should also invest in james like cheaper options.
Yes, i agree. Its been a squad game for years but what i dont understand is that many on here trying to say that buying Grealish is not good or unnecessary because hes not going to want to be here challenging Bruno, Pogba or he cant get mins playing.

Even with the ones you saying that are untouchable, they would still need time to rest, injure or lose form. Theses things happens with the ways and speed of game are nowadays esp with the injuries we seems to have most time during season.

So i think its crazy not to buy him if we be able to.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It will be interesting to see how he plays in his final game of the season as it is a must win for Villa so there will be pressure on Grealish being the Captain and main man after all;
We do have players who go missing on the occasions they should be stepping up so I welcome his addition if he turns it on for his boyhood team one more time.
If he turns up and they end up staying up there is less chance of us getting him cause they will demand over 50m for him.

Alemar

But the likes of James don’t bring a lot to the table, whereas the likes of Grealish not only do, but frankly have a chance to even get a starting spot over someone (depending on performance)

Tony247

But the likes of James don’t bring a lot to the table, whereas the likes of Grealish not only do, but frankly have a chance to even get a starting spot over someone (depending on performance)
We need another 6 to 7 players to give us good depth. But it is impossible to spend 50m+ on each addition. And if we decide to spend that much then It will take years. May be better strategy could be to buy say 3 50m+ players and go buy cheap "stop gap" purchases like james for now. Eventually replace them with better one if they don't work out. It would also be easier to roll them off.

Slysi17

Exactly. If we don’t get Grealish then god help us. In the last 4 matches Pogba has turned into Carlton Palmer and Bruno has shown he cannot be relied upon in a possession based game.
Can anyone remind me of any other technically gifted midfielders in our squad who have an ability to keep the ball in tight situations, creativity and ability to pass accurately.
Unfortunately that brings us to the next question. How many times do we have to spend 50 or 80 million to land a half decent player. We seem to have to buy 2/3/4 times to fill one position never mind revamp the squad.
We have 2 perennially hospitalised centre backs or maybe it’s 3. We loan out Smalling who has been our best defender for the last 5 years, we spend 130 million on 2 defenders when it seemed obvious to me that we lack players who can retain the ball in tight situations in central midfield Including a proper dynamic and savvy DM like neves or kante and a player to replace Herrera.
We simply cannot rely on the following players if we want to dominate the opposition with an aggressive and possession based game:

Lindelof
Wan bissaka
Pogba
Fred
Mctominay
James

this is based on performance, and under the current management the above players are simply being exposed for their weaknesses time and again and don’t seem to improve.

For instance, If I had Pogba in my squad I would be working very closely with him in terms of muscle memory and changes in tempo (leg movement) and direction. He seems to be regressing! Then again the movement in the team and ability to score goals through synergy rather than individual technical ability is lacking

Either we change management and trust that they Are getting the best out of the players or if they truly are getting the best out of the players then we need not only Grealish ( because one attacking midfielder - Bruno is not enough) but replacements for all of the 6 above players and I haven’t even included de gea - with who we won’t go anywhere.

the above 6 players are decent squad players. I honestly have to say that it’s literally been down to our front 3 and Bruno to allow us to stumble into 3rd and yet I can see it going horribly wrong on Sunday.

how can we be confident when we have seen Southampton and West Ham expose our weaknesses with a more sophisticated game plan. Can anyone remember the misery during the final games of last season. Where is the evolution?
Jack Grealish is going to cost a bomb. There are other and better we could go for instead of Grealish.

croadyman

Jack Grealish is going to cost a bomb. There are other and better we could go for instead of Grealish.
He might have already agreed a price with Villa no matter what happens against West Ham tomorrow.

Slysi17

I'm a big fan of Grealish, and depending on Villa's PL status could be reasonably priced. Who do you think is better value?
Donny Van De Beek obviously. There are also other options across Europe. I just think people are overhypying Jack Grealish. People talk like he has proved it at a high level which he hasn't. He has only played one season of premier league and the rest has been in the championship at the age of 24. That's why I said there are better options.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Donny Van De Beek obviously. There are also other options across Europe. I just think people are overhypying Jack Grealish. People talk like he has proved it at a high level which he hasn't. He has only played one season of premier league and the rest has been in the championship at the age of 24. That's why I said there are better options.
Its whether VDB is achievable though and i suspect he'd be considerably more expensive than Grealish. He's as good an option as there is in my view, and i think would be good value.

ArjenIsM3

I don't know why people are insisting on comparing Grealish and Van de Beek. Donny is more of a box to box midfielder that can also play as a 10 whereas Grealish is more of a 10 that can play on the wings as well. I think right now Grealish fits our needs better than Van de Beek does, although I'm not against either coming in. Both could provide Bruno with competition, but Grealish could also challenge Rashford on LW and do a job as a RW whereas VdB can't.

theklr

But doesnt he have most open play chances created this season in PL? Could be misleading, but still.

Slysi17

Its whether VDB is achievable though and i suspect he'd be considerably more expensive than Grealish. He's as good an option as there is in my view, and i think would be good value.
Good point but I seem to recall the transfer fee was quoted at 40 million euros. Can't remember where I saw that. So Donny Van De beek would be cheaper than Grealish.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.....I just think people are overhypying Jack Grealish. People talk like he has proved it at a high level which he hasn't. He has only played one season of premier league and the rest has been in the championship at the age of 24. ........
Grealish had 2 years in the EPL before Villa were relegated aged 19-20. playing over 30 times

Swearing Budgie

Be amazing if we could have squad players as good as Grealish/Cantwell/Mahrez instead of Lingard/Fredge/McTom

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Where did you get those stats from out of interest? Sky didn't have him in the top 5 for chances created. KDB led those which seemed a lot more believable
It’s players that are at clubs outside of the top 6 so KDB won’t be there.

Terminator

Very good player. No brainer really, if we have any ambition to be a top team we need players like him either as a squad option or fighting for first team place.

yan man utd

I don’t agree. I see him as a protagonist- a bit like Bruno in that way but I Always see talented British players as more accountable and they have more natural synergy with what is a British based squad
I also think that he is fantastic at keeping the ball, that he can - with the right players around him control a game.
He has character in spades and works his socks off

who are these better players who would be as good value for money

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Very good player. No brainer really, if we have any ambition to be a top team we need players like him either as a squad option or fighting for first team place.
My reservation would also be that, would he accept that he may start on the bench from time to time? He's not used to that at Villa

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don’t agree. I see him as a protagonist- a bit like Bruno in that way but I Always see talented British players as more accountable and they have more natural synergy with what is a British based squad
I also think that he is fantastic at keeping the ball, that he can - with the right players around him control a game.

I've no idea personally, not being the expert on Euro leagues but there are plenty on here who'll give you names who might be better and cheaper.
Some coaches are masters at identifying talented up and coming players. Wenger used to be a master

JohnnyLaw

Literally.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I agree with you. It's a very hard thing to talk about talking about why a british club benefits from british players. It's maybe that extra bit of loyalty, dedication and team work than straight up skill.

I'm not surprised at all that Pep's City team arent consistent in win PL's every year and even if they are; they are hardly ever a scary team in the CL. Whether its directly related or not - Sterling is the only player consistently used in that team who is british and stones isnt picked either. Likewise I wasnt surprised that Arsenals dedication to a french based team during Wengers prime deteriorated and didnt do anything in Europe and was just a competing rival to United in the league.
Yet on the other hand Klopp plays with Henderson, Robertson, Milner, Gomez, TAA, Llalana and wins all the trophies whilst talking about how he wants to create a team full of Liverpool homegrown youngsters.

Barcelona's spanish homegrown players had always been important to their fluidity and their successes. One of personal favourite teams AC Milan's italian players were vital for them back in the day. SAF won 2 CL's with the same class of 92 of 4-6 players expanding over two decades. I wonder how successful Real Madrid would be without Sergio Ramos because he seems to be the player that delivers when that team needs it the most.

A British club needs a good selection of British players; if we wasnt then being a British club is no more than just a location in a world map. If Grealish is good enough for United must first be decided by scouts, coaches and manager but him being British is definitely a positive.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I've no idea personally, not being the expert on Euro leagues but there are plenty on here who'll give you names who might be better and cheaper.
Some coaches are masters at identifying talented up and coming players. Wenger used to be a master
It also held Wenger back in a lot of ways, his reluctance to buy a proven player and instead go for someone cheaper from another league is in a lot of ways why Arsenal are so far off the pace (there are a number of other reasons for that too of course, and it’s not solely down to Wenger).

crossy1686

career ending
And how many sub €50m options are there across Europe that won't take 6 months to bed in and we're absolutely certain will be able to adapt to the pace and rigour of the PL? Or we could just buy Grealish for around the same price and watch him hit the ground running?

Status
Not open for further replies.