Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just like De Bruyne isn't a guaranteed starter at City (since we like to bring them up when talking about depth)
If De Bruyne was in poor form or knackered, you'd expect someone of top quality to replace him. We haven't got that luxury at the moment, but it's something we certainly need to be aspiring to (God I sound like Moyes).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Strange that the two sites have such different numbers.

Whoscored:

RW: 14 games - 5 goals and 7 assists
LW: 10 games - 6 goals and 6 assists
AM: 8 games - 7 goals and 2 assists
Sub: 8 games - 1 goal and 3 assists

transfermarkt:

RW: 21 games - 8 goals and 11 assists
LW: 11 games - 8 goals and 7 assists
AM: 12 games - 4 goals and 2 assists

Wonder if he's swapped position during some of the games and the one site has him down in one position and the other site has him in the other? If any Dortmund fans are here (or anybody has watched him a fair bit), how has he done when played at #10? Good enough that it's actually a viable position going forward or is it obvious that it's a fair step down from when he plays on the wings?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And you'd take a huge, lets say 33% wage drop?
To secure a longer term future at the top, yea. His Real contract will expire soon, he could start a new contract here but with longer term security. I doubt Real are planning to offer him a new one!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So why is he coming here? To replace Madrid’s bench with ours? On less wages?
Because we want him and Real don’t, if that were the case. We’d give him a longer term contract than Real would.

And if he has any sort of hunger left, then I don’t think he’d necessarily be a substitute here anyway.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
James Rodriguez is the last player we want to sign. The ultimate luxury player. Fair weather and powder puff.
Are you saying that based on watching him, or just because that’s just what you think people say about him? He’s a luxury player because most teams don’t play #10s. For some weird reason, we do.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
To secure a longer term future at the top, yea. His Real contract will expire soon, he could start a new contract here but with longer term security. I doubt Real are planning to offer him a new one!
So we'd really want a player on high wages, with a transfer fee?
While Real would rather let him go on a free than give him a new contract?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think we'll get a CB and then a DM the season after next.

As for an attacking midfielder, next season we'll have loads of games, where we'll find ourselves in the same situation we've been in of late with very tired players. When Bruno is knackered next season, who would you bring in for him?
Pogba. If Bruno is rested I don't think moving Pogba forward and bringing in Fred or Mctomminay is a bad shout.

I'd rather sign a world class DM, CB and maybe even a new Fullback too.

However I certainly won't moan if we get Grealish. He is a lot better than our fringe players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Strange that the two sites have such different numbers.

Whoscored:

RW: 14 games - 5 goals and 7 assists
LW: 10 games - 6 goals and 6 assists
AM: 8 games - 7 goals and 2 assists
Sub: 8 games - 1 goal and 3 assists

transfermarkt:

RW: 21 games - 8 goals and 11 assists
LW: 11 games - 8 goals and 7 assists
AM: 12 games - 4 goals and 2 assists

Wonder if he's swapped position during some of the games and the one site has him down in one position and the other site has him in the other? If any Dortmund fans are here (or anybody has watched him a fair bit), how has he done when played at #10? Good enough that it's actually a viable position going forward or is it obvious that it's a fair step down from when he plays on the wings?
Jadon Sancho is not some kind of winger like Willian though. He's more a player who knows how to make the right decision with good vision, which is why the manager gave him that 12 appearances as a 10.

Classical Mechanic

Are you saying that based on watching him, or just because that’s just what you think people say about him? He’s a luxury player because most teams don’t play #10s. For some weird reason, we do.
It’s the kind of dumb transfer we would have made in LVG’s day. The guy barely even plays these days. We’d be bonkers to put the required money into a transfer like that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jadon Sancho is not some kind of winger like Willian though. He's more a player who knows how to make the right decision with good vision, which is why the manager gave him that 12 appearances as a 10.
Obviously he 'can' play there, but from watching him play on the wings I wouldn't have thought he'd be better there than what Grealish would be (which you said in one of your other posts). I will admit I haven't actually watched any of the games he's played centrally though so maybe I'm wrong.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So we'd really want a player on high wages, with a transfer fee?
While Real would rather let him go on a free than give him a new contract?
He’s a football player, he has a value. Would Grealish not coat money and presumably be paid a salary? This is an alternative option I am suggesting, for probably half of the transfer fee, maybe less than half.

Real don’t play with a 10, we do. We’d find him more useful than them. And if we are after another option at 10, for £25m or so, we won’t find much better than James in my opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Obviously he 'can' play there, but from watching him play on the wings I wouldn't have thought he'd be better there than what Grealish would be (which you said in one of your other posts). I will admit I haven't actually watched any of the games he's played centrally though so maybe I'm wrong.
End of the day it's not for long term but as an option. So the Grealish argument is debatable if you only want to use transfermarkt stats. On the other hand player with variety in their games, good decision making & good vision with passing as one of your strength is good enough to play anywhere across 3 different roles of attacking mid.

Classical Mechanic

He’s a football player, he has a value. Would Grealish not coat money and presumably be paid a salary? This is an alternative option I am suggesting, for probably half of the transfer fee, maybe less than half.

Real don’t play with a 10, we do. We’d find him more useful than them. And if we are after another option at 10, for £25m or so, we won’t find much better than James in my opinion.
Why would you put the astronomical figures required to sign Rodriguez when he can only cover one position, a position taken by a player that has missed like 4 games in his career through injury?

marktan

For around £40m I'd be up for it, as a squad player who'll get 30-40 games over the season. He's not going to be a starter automatically though, we have Rashford, Bruno and Pogba who play in his position. He'd need to outplay one of those and take their positions.

I don't think Villa will sell for £40m though. Captain, boyhood club and they've stayed up? They'll be looking for £50m+

Dan_F

Just because he's leaving does not mean he's coming to United. That being said, I would have liked to have Grealish in place of Rashford play against Leicester today.
Of course. I didn’t say he would be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why would you put the astronomical figures required to sign Rodriguez when he can only cover one position, a position taken by a player that has missed like 4 games in his career through injury?
So why are we here, in this very thread? To discuss prospective left-backs?

JustinC00

Imagine a window of Sancho and Grealish.

go with a rotated side to a place like St. James Park

-----------Greenwood
Grealish-Bruno-Sancho
-----McTominay--- Fred

and feel confident we'll get the 3

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
For around £40m I'd be up for it, as a squad player who'll get 30-40 games over the season. He's not going to be a starter automatically though, we have Rashford, Bruno and Pogba who play in his position. He'd need to outplay one of those and take their positions.

I don't think Villa will sell for £40m though. Captain, boyhood club and they've stayed up? They'll be looking for £50m+
plus the massive extra fund they get by starting up would make for a very decent transfer kitty. They will need to dramatically change the way this team plays if it wants to stay up again this season.

Plus if United do come in with an acceptable offer, doubt they will be able to ask him to stay, in good faith. Its a genuine career opportunity for him, and he has done so much for them already.

I think it just depends on if Ole thinks there is a requirement for him.

Classical Mechanic

So why are we here, in this very thread? To discuss prospective left-backs?
This is a guy that signed for Real, did well at first but got benched after his first season, got unhappy and asked to leave. Went to Bayern, did OK at first but got benched mostly in his second season, got unhappy and asked to leave. Went back to Real at got added to the scrap heap. He's on massive wages and is a South American who would have to settle in Manchester. It’s got disaster written all over it. The kind of transfer Woody would have been all over in his early days.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Surely there's every chance he stays put now? Being a Villa fan and all?

Would be a brave move to go now.
He’d be a complete idiot to stay put now. He’s got them promoted and scored the goal that kept them in the Prem. If he’s serious about being a better player and winning something in his career he’ll leave this season.

Regardless of what I think of him as a person I hope he moves somewhere bigger to see his real level.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember that Ighalo will leave, so we should be back to 3 strikers, one of whom is Greenwood who is obviously exciting but a kid, and another is Rashford who has never really shown enough as a 9. There will be attacking midfield spots for sure.

Adding both Sancho and Grealish would basically sort out our main issues.

Wouldn't solve the dmf problem, but we've made McSauce a literal poster child and kept Matic on til hes about 75 so I feel like the club doesnt view it as an issue.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is a guy that signed for Real, did well at first but got benched after his first season, got unhappy and asked to leave. Went to Bayern, did OK at first but got benched mostly in his second season, got unhappy and asked to leave. Went back to Real at got added to the scrap heap. He's on massive wages and is a South American who would have to settle in Manchester. It’s got disaster written all over it. The kind of transfer Woody would have been all over in his early days.
I’m aware at who the guy is, I brought him up. He is a footballer with a value. You can word your assessment any way to support a view. I could summarise Jack Grealish as ‘this is a guy who has spent most of his career in the Championship and only at Villa’, vs ‘a guy who has played for Real and Bayern and starred in a World Cup’. Players falling out of favour at Real happen all the time. In his case, they literally do not use his position. We do.

As for him being a South American, so what? I don’t know him as an individual, and any signing we make, Colombian or Midlands, I’d expect us to be satisfied of his motivation. Real Madrid has a way of doing that to players anyway. They are painted as some sort of mercenaries or something. There is life after Madrid. If a player isn’t being used, why could he not be keen to move on and rebuild his career? United are a top club, PL is an attractive league. It is a proposal anyway, but seeing as we are discussing number 10s, I proposed one who will likely cost less as an option. His stock is low because he’s not currently a star player at Madrid, but he has quality. If he was keen to come here and give his best, he’s not a rubbish #10. Just watch the player and don’t be so concerned with the ‘storyline’ of football.

Classical Mechanic

I’m aware at who the guy is, I brought him up. He is a footballer with a value. You can word your assessment any way to support a view. I could summarise Jack Grealish as ‘this is a guy who has spent most of his career in the Championship and only at Villa’, vs ‘a guy who has played for Real and Bayern and starred in a World Cup’. Players falling out of favour at Real happen all the time. In his case, they literally do not use his position. We do.

As for him being a South American, so what? I don’t know him as an individual, and any signing we make, Colombian or Midlands, I’d expect us to be satisfied of his motivation. Real Madrid has a way of doing that to players anyway. They are painted as some sort of mercenaries or something. There is life after Madrid. If a player isn’t being used, why could he not be keen to move on and rebuild his career? United are a top club, PL is an attractive league. It is a proposal anyway, but seeing as we are discussing number 10s, I proposed one who will likely cost less as an option. His stock is low because he’s not currently a star player at Madrid, but he has quality. If he was keen to come here and give his best, he’s not a rubbish #10. Just watch the player and don’t be so concerned with the ‘storyline’ of football.
We’re not talking about signing a number 10 though. Bruno is one of the most reliable players injury wise in football. You’d sign Grealish because he’s so versatile, he’s desperate to play for United and because they’ll be no settling in period. It matters that he’s South American because it’s very much hit and miss on how those players settle, sometime disastrous. It often takes a year for players from such countries to adjust anyway, see Fred. Rodriguez has shown himself to be a player to get restless pretty quickly at Real and Bayern. I highly doubt we’ll be looking at Rodrigue. He’ll probably end up at a Newcastle or Everton.

Wing Attack Plan R

You've literally watched Bruno get run into the ground over the last 5 weeks yet you've managed to reach this conclusion?

Grealish would offer cover for Bruno first and foremost, but also for Rashford on the left and at a pinch, Pogba in the deeper midfield role.

There would be plenty of games for all of them.
Hardly likely that Bruno will be playing 10 matches in 4 weeks next season. Grealish is not moving to a new club to sit on the bench, and it's ridiculous to suggest he will.

kidbob

Any other Irish reds struggle to warm to Grealish and Rice?
Not in the slightest to be honest. At the time then yes I was bitter but I find myself happy at their progression. They'd both already be our superstars and to be honest I reckon neither are ever going to have the International career that they thought they would have with England (I just think there's better players coming through for them), but I hope they do. At the end of the day whether by 'feeling' or for footballing reasons they chose their course but Ireland have benefited greatly from players coming to us from England. Funnily enough I still view Rice and Grealish as our own and would love to see them reach the level where they could come to United and be legends. In fact I wouldn't be against us signing the two of them if we can because they have both progressed excellently this year.

Off topic but if I'm right I believe that all of our very good U21 side are only eligible for Ireland and that excites me because i think it might be our best group in a long time, playing under a good coach. I remember watching them play an Italy side with Tonali and Kean off the pitch with good football.

Dante

Average bang
He's one of the top 10 key passers in Europe if you're measuring it per 90 minutes. Nobody above him is available or would be any cheaper.

But it's clear from the positions he drifts into that he's a natural central player and not a winger. His crossing is a bit shit compared to the likes of De Bruyne. If you focus on his key passes through the middle, it actually places him even higher on the list.

And given how poor United have been at beating the press, it would be invaluable to have a player with dribbling ability and a tight touch. His ability to win fouls could be crucial in difficult games. It's definitely a weakness for the team right now. Grealish is the most fouled player in Europe.

There are definitely things he's better at than Pogba or Bruno. And the gap in quality isn't that big to start of with.

He'd get plenty of games, and wouldn't be considered a bench player by default. The three of them would be rotated and/or selected according to the opponent's tactics.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Can't see Grealish leaving Villa now they've avoided relegation. They have no need to sell and he has a long term contact. Only way to get him would be to do a Barcelona and offer an insane amount for him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't see Grealish leaving Villa now they've avoided relegation. They have no need to sell and he has a long term contact. Only way to get him would be to do a Barcelona and offer an insane amount for him.
You think keeping Villa up is the height of his ambitions? You think he wants to be in a relegation scrap every season? He'll leave Villa with their blessing if the right bid is made

Status
Not open for further replies.