Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okey

Now that Villa have stayed up, how about we dangle Lingardinho and the legendary Phil Jones (who scored his first goal for us at Villa Park all those eons ago) in front of them as part of a deal? They're a pretty poor side. Those 2 would make a big difference to them, even if P Jones only does it for a third of the season.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Now that Villa have stayed up, how about we dangle Lingardinho and the legendary Phil Jones (who scored his first goal for us at Villa Park all those eons ago) in front of them as part of a deal? They're a pretty poor side. Those 2 would make a big difference to them, even if P Jones only does it for a third of the season.
I don't think those two would make much of a difference for them at all.

Wayne's World

I love him and I have been on this forum for a year begging United to sign him. He can become a key player in a title winning team and his ability is so underrated only because he plays for Villa (I know Villa fans know his quality but other fans don't in some ways)

Pay 40-50 million and he'll make a massive difference to the club, I have no issues spending that type of money on him

He would do well at Utd.

Hopefully someone gives him a no 2 all over any buy him a pair of men’s shorts.

I think if Villa get a decent offer, then he’s off. He kept them up, and had been brilliant for them, but now needs to move on and play for a better club. Must have aspirations to play for England, he needs to leave.

Red00012

Can't see Grealish leaving Villa now they've avoided relegation. They have no need to sell and he has a long term contact. Only way to get him would be to do a Barcelona and offer an insane amount for him.
Ya because if a club come in offering European football he’ll say no I’d prefer another battle fighting relegation.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He's one of the top 10 key passers in Europe if you're measuring it per 90 minutes. Nobody above him is available or would be any cheaper.

But it's clear from the positions he drifts into that he's a natural central player and not a winger. His crossing is a bit shit compared to the likes of De Bruyne. If you focus on his key passes through the middle, it actually places him even higher on the list.

And given how poor United have been at beating the press, it would be invaluable to have a player with dribbling ability and a tight touch. His ability to win fouls could be crucial in difficult games. It's definitely a weakness for the team right now. Grealish is the most fouled player in Europe.

There are definitely things he's better at than Pogba or Bruno. And the gap in quality isn't that big to start of with.

He'd get plenty of games, and wouldn't be considered a bench player by default. The three of them would be rotated and/or selected according to the opponent's tactics.
Feck it I’m in.

He’s a twat but he’s a good footballer.

No point being on a high horse if it won’t get you in the title race. Sign Grealish and hope to god he’s finally realised you can’t be a knob.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ya because if a club come in offering European football he’ll say no I’d prefer another battle fighting relegation.
Unless he goes on strike what difference does what he wants make? In fact even if he does go on strike Villa don't have to let him go.

Had Villa gone down they would need to sell to balance the books. They don't need to sell now they're staying up.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is the kind of player I want us to sign someone with a bit of fight and passion. Would add great depth.

Red00012

Unless he goes on strike what difference does what he wants make? In fact even if he does go on strike Villa don't have to let him go.

Had Villa gone down they would need to sell to balance the books. They don't need to sell now they're staying up.
He’s there since he was 6 , if he says he wants to move on they won’t stop him provided they get a decent fee

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Absolutely no way Villa stand in his way. He’s definitely given them enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They won't stand in his way but they'll expect a certain valuation. I think that's where it might cause friction, if say Spurs or ourselves walk in and offer £30m and it's not enough.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They won't stand in his way but they'll expect a certain valuation. I think that's where it might cause friction, if say Spurs or ourselves walk in and offer £30m and it's not enough.
To be fair £30m won’t be enough now they are staying up. I’m expecting £50-55m

Agreed. I’m sure he has an agreement with Villa.

Similar to when Ronaldo gave Fergie the extra year, and then didn’t stand in his way.

Would be very surprised if he’s there next year. He’s been brilliant for them, but it’s clear to everyone he needs to move on.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agreed. I’m sure he has an agreement with Villa.

Similar to when Ronaldo gave Fergie the extra year, and then didn’t stand in his way.

Would be very surprised if he’s there next year. He’s been brilliant for them, but it’s clear to everyone he needs to move on.
I would be staggered if a gentleman’s agreement isn’t there for him to move on.

He’s done all he can at Villa.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
To be fair £30m won’t be enough now they are staying up. I’m expecting £50-55m
You reckon? In a normal year maybe. But Id be shocked if he went for that sort of figure in covid circumstances.

I mean, we paid £50m for AWB who was standout for Palace and we desperately needed a right back so sure. But 1) no top club desperately needs a player like Grealish and therefore 2) no top club will allocate £50m when they need other positions.

For example: Liverpool passed on Werner and they will probably bag Thiago if reports are to be believed so no need for Grealish. City have Foden to step in for Silva and more urgent needs in defence to attend to. Arsenal can't afford that sum, Chelsea have already got Mount/Ziyech and will go for Havertz. Spurs will likely bid but I doubt Levy will succumb to £50m for him (covid).

Out of all these, I see us / spurs / maybe city going for him. Only 2 would offer champions league football and neither is desperate for his position. With him intent on wanting out on top, it likely loosens Villas position.

My bet is he goes for £40m or less. Not because Villa are desperate for cash but because Grealish will push for leaving this season.

Wayne's World

Noway he will go for 30 million, I reckon 40 million with an agreement from Grealish that he could leave for that money. Just worried City might get him instead as I don't see any other club going for him

Alemar

Very good player. No brainer really, if we have any ambition to be a top team we need players like him either as a squad option or fighting for first team place.
We don’t need players who don’t want to fight for first team place (we have enough of those already).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You reckon? In a normal year maybe. But Id be shocked if he went for that sort of figure in covid circumstances.

I mean, we paid £50m for AWB who was standout for Palace and we desperately needed a right back so sure. But 1) no top club desperately needs a player like Grealish and therefore 2) no top club will allocate £50m when they need other positions.

For example: Liverpool passed on Werner and they will probably bag Thiago if reports are to be believed so no need for Grealish. City have Foden to step in for Silva and more urgent needs in defence to attend to. Arsenal can't afford that sum, Chelsea have already got Mount/Ziyech and will go for Havertz. Spurs will likely bid but I doubt Levy will succumb to £50m for him (covid).

Out of all these, I see us / spurs / maybe city going for him. Only 2 would offer champions league football and neither is desperate for his position. With him intent on wanting out on top, it likely loosens Villas position.
I think because of the AWB deal Villa are well within their rights to stick to £50m

The money won’t help them more than the player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Noway he will go for 30 million, I reckon 40 million with an agreement from Grealish that he could leave for that money. Just worried City might get him instead as I don't see any other club going for him
£40m is the top end if see him go at I reckon. City I think have other areas to focus on, as do we.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think because of the AWB deal Villa are well within their rights to stick to £50m

The money won’t help them more than the player.
They won't reasonably expect pre covid prices, and if they are expecting that I'm quite sure we won't go for him. £50m is too much if our budget is £150m.

Wayne's World

£40m is the top end if see him go at I reckon. City I think have other areas to focus on, as do we.
Hopefully City will focus on their defence more which would give us a clear run at him. Right now I only want the club to sign Sancho and Grealish and I'd already be buzzing for next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

The key passes stat can be a bit misleading. If I'm correct, it's just a pass that ends up leading to a shot.

Surely there's a progressive passing stat that better measures creativity.

The amount of times Grealish gets fouled though is definitely intriguing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hopefully City will focus on their defence more which would give us a clear run at him. Right now I only want the club to sign Sancho and Grealish and I'd already be buzzing for next season.
I want a proper center back! That's why I'm hesitant on spending a lot on Grealish (although he will add a great amount to the squad).

Agree on City, they have to get a CB, maybe even a striker if they plan for life without Augero? Perhaps they need to look at replacing Sane in which case Grealish can pop up on the radar.

Don't think Pep will take to his profile with off field stuff though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They won't reasonably expect pre covid prices, and if they are expecting that I'm quite sure we won't go for him. £50m is too much if our budget is £150m.
Why not? Worst case they don’t sell him and keep their best player.

I don’t want is to pau it but if the tables were turned you wouldn’t sell him on the cheap

Wayne's World

I want a proper center back! That's why I'm hesitant on spending a lot on Grealish (although he will add a great amount to the squad).

Agree on City, they have to get a CB, maybe even a striker if they plan for life without Augero? Perhaps they need to look at replacing Sane in which case Grealish can pop up on the radar.

That''s the worry but I'm hoping they see Foden as the one who can replace Silva and play Bernardo Silva more wider next season instead of central.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Like who?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why not? Worst case they don’t sell him and keep their best player.

I don’t want is to pau it but if the tables were turned you wouldn’t sell him on the cheap
They might risk pissing him off? Not sure they want to be a dick to him either. The fact he openly wants to go coupled with no one desperately needing him means Villa won't be able to make their own market easily. If he was fine with staying then sure, but as mentioned before I see this situation getting toxic if they agreed with him that he can move on, but hold back because they want to squeeze clubs who can pass and move on.
Like who?
UPENCAMO! I shout his name like I've watched him a lot. I haven't really but he's highly rated and I'd imagine a strong target. Alaba, Koulibaly also examples of players who would improve our defence.

Alaba probably wouldnt be interested in us, but Koulibaly perhaps. He's probably going city though. I'm sure there's maybe 1-2 others. Even Ake for the sake of pace in the cb position, he might come in of better use next year when Werner runs riot.

I'd love a top center back, or a high potential one. But I'd settle for at least a solid squad option with pace. Lindelof and Maguire fill me with worry, because they're too slow.

Infestissumam

UPENCAMO! I shout his name like I've watched him a lot. I haven't really but he's highly rated and I'd imagine a strong target.
German media only confirmed today that he's signing a new contract. Simply not happening this summer.

yan man utd

What? Hes single handedly has carried a terrible Villa this year. Would be an amazing transfer for us.
well said.
We clearly need more than a first 11... lets be honest we have just scraped over the line.
Don’t get me wrong - we have progressed- but not much.

Ole deserves some credit - but he has hardly shown he can improve players who we already knew were good, maybe with the exception of Martial, mason and Rashford. But then these are players you could argue are destined to be brilliant and they have carried us over the line without us dominating games.

I worry about the decline of Pogba, and our inability to improve a shaky defence over the course of season and a half. Let alone the disappearance into oblivion of Jones, pereira, mata (who was once amazing), rojo and the obvious loss of confidence of de gea one good game does not mask the mistakes.

then you have Lingard who - the only reason to keep is because he is a manc and integrated in the group.

grealish is a no brainer, because he grabs a game by the scruff of the neck, has art, confidence and ability in spades. Attack is the best form of Defence and we can’t put all our eggs in one basket (Bruno)

however, we must acquire a dynamic CB, DM and RW. the jury is still out on wan bissaka and James so we probably need sancho too - mason is still in his apprenticeship and can play across the front anyway

Dante

Average bang
The key passes stat can be a bit misleading. If I'm correct, it's just a pass that ends up leading to a shot.

Surely there's a progressive passing stat that better measures creativity.

The amount of times Grealish gets fouled though is definitely intriguing.
That's a fair point if the team in question was taking lots of pot shots from outside of the box. But Villa are fairly ordinary in terms of the positions from which they shoot.

Grealish is the only real chance provider for the team (91 compared to the second best who only has 38), so these figures are going to be reasonably representative of how his key passes are reaching his teammates.

TeamTotal number of shots% from out of box% within the penalty area% from 6 yard box
Sheffield United
352​
25%​
64%​
11%​
Liverpool
591​
29%​
63%​
7%​
Arsenal
406​
31%​
60%​
9%​
West Ham
417​
31%​
59%​
10%​
Manchester City
746​
32%​
58%​
10%​
Burnley
387​
32%​
53%​
15%​
Everton
469​
33%​
57%​
11%​
Watford
424​
33%​
61%​
6%​
Crystal Palace
376​
33%​
59%​
9%​
Chelsea
625​
34%​
58%​
8%​
Wolverhampton Wanderers
461​
35%​
56%​
9%​
Bournemouth
389​
36%​
56%​
8%​
Brighton
462​
37%​
53%​
10%​
Aston Villa
456​
37%​
54%​
9%​
Leicester
540​
37%​
54%​
9%​
Southampton
499​
39%​
50%​
10%​
Tottenham
444​
40%​
53%​
7%​
Norwich
409​
40%​
54%​
6%​
Newcastle United
399​
44%​
51%​
5%​
Manchester United
544​
45%​
49%​
6%​

I know there are extra considerations to be made about teams who put in a lot of crosses for headers, but Grealish is hardly the best at crosses so I don't think it applies to him too much.

The worrying thing is how much United rely on out-of-the-box shots. That number has probably gone down since Bruno joined, but we'll have to wait and see how things shape up next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

That's a fair point if the team in question was taking lots of pot shots from outside of the box. But Villa are fairly ordinary in terms of the positions from which they shoot.

Grealish is the only real chance provider for the team (91 compared to the second best who only has 38), so these figures are going to be reasonably representative of how his key passes are reaching his teammates.

TeamTotal number of shots% from out of box% within the penalty area% from 6 yard box
Sheffield United
352​
25%​
64%​
11%​
Liverpool
591​
29%​
63%​
7%​
Arsenal
406​
31%​
60%​
9%​
West Ham
417​
31%​
59%​
10%​
Manchester City
746​
32%​
58%​
10%​
Burnley
387​
32%​
53%​
15%​
Everton
469​
33%​
57%​
11%​
Watford
424​
33%​
61%​
6%​
Crystal Palace
376​
33%​
59%​
9%​
Chelsea
625​
34%​
58%​
8%​
Wolverhampton Wanderers
461​
35%​
56%​
9%​
Bournemouth
389​
36%​
56%​
8%​
Brighton
462​
37%​
53%​
10%​
Aston Villa
456​
37%​
54%​
9%​
Leicester
540​
37%​
54%​
9%​
Southampton
499​
39%​
50%​
10%​
Tottenham
444​
40%​
53%​
7%​
Norwich
409​
40%​
54%​
6%​
Newcastle United
399​
44%​
51%​
5%​
Manchester United
544​
45%​
49%​
6%​

The worrying thing is how much United rely on out-of-the-box shots. That number has probably gone down since Bruno joined, but we'll have to wait and see how things shape up next season.
Wow we lead the league in that. That's a bit alarming.

Do you have the graph for how that stat looks after Bruno joins?

SmallCaine

Lots of peeps in here thinking he might go to City. :lol: I doubt he'd leave Villa for them when he's been a massive United fan since at least 2012...
Why do you think it matters who he or any other sportsman supports? He isn't just a fan, he a professional player who does this for a living. If city come calling or they pay more than utd would to him, no one around him would advise him to pick utd over city and nor should he.

Status
Not open for further replies.