Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That’s your opinion
It's not my opinion that he's widely rated across the spectrum. He's tipped to be called up to the England squad, we are reported to be keen on him, Arsenal registered an interest, ex players/pundits rate him highly too. His stats back him as a very good player in chance creation too.

So yeah, it's not just "a few ITKs" that rate him, and it's not an opinion to point to that.

croadyman

This one just seems impossible unless we can cover the fee from sales.
Yeah can only see it happening if we can sell both Lingard & Pereira which looks a stretch with how crap we are at getting decent value for our deadwood

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One player that i can see of having Bruno's impact. That's if he plays regularly. I just can feel it.
(PS: had this feeling when we bought Mata too :nervous:)

croadyman

One player that i can see of having Bruno's impact. That's if he plays regularly. I just can feel it.
Yeah that is how I see it as well and still harbour slim hopes we can get both Jack & Jadon if we can sell Lingard & Pereira

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes but... where will he play? Honestly. I'm all for getting him at a reasonable price as we need depth, but he wouldn't start ahead of Bruno or Pogba, he never plays on the right and he'd at best rotate with Rashford for the left. Its a lot of money for him where he won't come in instantly. Get van de Beek who is more natural as an 8 but can also play 10, at half the price, to be that depth player. It'd just be a waste of budget to throw so much at Grealish when we have other issues to fill. If we're throwing it all at one guy, than that has to be Sancho.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
So we should only sign players from top half clubs who are not rated? :lol:
In short, he'll be shite and in a couple of seasons his 'perfomance' thread will slagging him off left, right and central.

croadyman

Yes but... where will he play? Honestly. I'm all for getting him at a reasonable price as we need depth, but he wouldn't start ahead of Bruno or Pogba, he never plays on the right and he'd at best rotate with Rashford for the left. Its a lot of money for him where he won't come in instantly. Get van de Beek who is more natural as an 8 but can also play 10, at half the price, to be that depth player. It'd just be a waste of budget to throw so much at Grealish when we have other issues to fill. If we're throwing it all at one guy, than that has to be Sancho.
He would get plenty of gametime and there are going to be times where we will be facing teams that press us more so you would utilise Jack in more of a CAM role, however if the team we are facing are more likely to sit off then play Bruno in that role and have Jack/Marcus out on the LW

bsCallout

Everyone in our squad needs competition. The reason you're specifically saying Rashford is because he had a poor end to the season, but he's arguably been our best player over the stretch of the season.

Going forward, if we want to be able to compete on all fronts, then as you said, we need competition for places.

Personally, I would love Grealish at United. Big fan of him. If not, then the three main options of Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho(RW Signing) are enough, providing no big injuries. Then we'd have James as a backup option.
The reason I said it is because I actually think it is the position with the least genuine competition. Particularly because Rashford posesses that quality, he's undroppable. No player at that age should feel undroppable.

That may well be the reason for his drop in quality.

I'd strongly disagree with him being considered our best player over the course of the season though.

Walters_19_MuFc

The reason I said it is because I actually think it is the position with the least genuine competition. Particularly because Rashford posesses that quality, he's undroppable. No player at that age should feel undroppable.

That may well be the reason for his drop in quality.

I'd strongly disagree with him being considered our best player over the course of the season though.
Is it? I think the whole front four have little/no competition, hence why Ole has been so reluctant to use his subs. When you look at our back-ups in Mata, James, Lingard, and Ighalo, despite them playing a part in our season, there's a significant drop if you take any of our starting four out and replace them with one of the aforementioned players. Fact is, we need to bridge the gap in quality, and that's not just Rashford's position.

As for him being our best player, that's something we'd have to agree to disagree with, but he really got us through some games at the start/mid of the season.

croadyman

Even if he costs £40M it doesn't alter the fact we need 4 players before even looking at him and what he brings.
Which four would you put above him and wouldn't bother suggesting a DM or LB because all indications are that Ole wants to keep faith with Shaw & Matic next season.

SAFMUTD

He's the new Zaha, good but not great, hyped because he's english and will be priced out of a move until he turns 28 and Aston Villa realises he is not worth the 80M so they'll let him go for 40-50M.

Thats my prediction.

Devil may care

Which four would you put above him and wouldn't bother suggesting a DM or LB because all indications are that Ole wants to keep faith with Shaw & Matic next season.
Sancho to finally fix RW, a holding midfielder, a CB and a RB to compete with AWB. If Ole prioritizes Grealish over a proper holding midfielder it'll cost him his job imo, thinking Matic can play a key starting role next season is utterly stupid on his part if it's the case..

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sancho to finally fix RW, a holding midfielder, a CB and a RB to compete with AWB. If Ole prioritizes Grealish over a proper holding midfielder it'll cost him his job imo, thinking Matic can play a key starting role next season is utterly stupid on his part if it's the case..
Fred has shown over the last couple of games that he can play his part there, so we have the player who can rotate with Matic. Matic tends to play well until he gets overplayed game after game so that's what we need.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yes. Sancho is priority. Others are icing on cake, that includes Grealish.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah that is how I see it as well and still harbour slim hopes we can get both Jack & Jadon if we can sell Lingard & Pereira
I see similar trait of Bruno in him. Other than so talented, he's not afraid on taking responsibility. I like that in player.

SATA

He’s the alternative to Sancho, not Costa or Dembele although we would all prefer Jadon. But it isn’t too bad as it leaves us enough funds probably for another midfielder and a centre back. I still think we have started talking to Villa about a possible deal

SAFMUTD

He’s the alternative to Sancho, not Costa or Dembele although we would all prefer Jadon. But it isn’t too bad as it leaves us enough funds probably for another midfielder and a centre back. I still think we have started talking to Villa about a possible deal
Hopefully not, I would lose my mind if we pass on Sancho because we dont want to pay 120 but we end up paying 60-70M for Grealish.

The difference in quality is way above their difference in price.

bsCallout

Is it? I think the whole front four have little/no competition, hence why Ole has been so reluctant to use his subs. When you look at our back-ups in Mata, James, Lingard, and Ighalo, despite them playing a part in our season, there's a significant drop if you take any of our starting four out and replace them with one of the aforementioned players. Fact is, we need to bridge the gap in quality, and that's not just Rashford's position.

As for him being our best player, that's something we'd have to agree to disagree with, but he really got us through some games at the start/mid of the season.
I agree it's not just Rashford's position. Of course. I just feel Rashford is the least likely to even be subbed due to alternatives.
James for Greenwood is a fair sub. Both young inexperienced players.
Ighalo for Martial is a fair sub. Hold up & goal scoring.
Mata for Bruno and you still get creativity.
With Rashford I don't think there is even a sub for him.

Sancho and Grealish are such good buys for this reason, they can play in any of those positions.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think missing Sancho isn't a big deal imo if we can get two attackers in return. He's quality but do we really think 108m can sort it all out, I think if we can get Grealish who can cover the left flank with Rashford and a loan move (Dembele or Coman) who can cover the right flank with Greenwood, I think that's still a good business for attackers. Next season we can give a try again to sign Sancho since Dembele or Coman is just gonna be a loan deal.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No idea who Brad Jones is but he seems to be a journalist, he's saying on Twitter that Grealish is signing a new contract at Villa.
Would be absolutely stunned if that’s the case. Unless Villa are seriously investing in the team and wanting to put for Europa places.

Amazed Grealish would change his mind to stay if there were serious offers for him.

pascell

Would be absolutely stunned if that’s the case. Unless Villa are seriously investing in the team and wanting to put for Europa places.

Amazed Grealish would change his mind to stay if there were serious offers for him.
I must admit, I was very surprised when I saw the journalist running with it, as I thought United would've been in for him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I must admit, I was very surprised when I saw the journalist running with it, as I thought United would've been in for him.
It’s not even necessarily just United that I’d expect to be in for him.

I know for a fact Grealish was positioning for a move a few months back and for all intents and purposes him moving on from Villa was an expectation not a speculation maybe we’ve underestimated what staying up combined with coronavirus will allow Villa to do in the market?

I still think he’s more likely to leave.

pascell

It’s not even necessarily just United that I’d expect to be in for him.

I know for a fact Grealish was positioning for a move a few months back and for all intents and purposes him moving on from Villa was an expectation not a speculation maybe we’ve underestimated what staying up combined with coronavirus will allow Villa to do in the market?

I still think he’s more likely to leave.
Hopefully he stills wants to move and comes to United, I can see him being a massive hit here.

redshaw

I'd be more surprised if he left. He's Mr Aston Villa and desperately wants to see them in the Premier League.

If they were relegated I think he understands he can't play anymore in the championship but Villa now have another big chance to stay up and even make top 10 if they can spend right in the next couple of years. I just don't see him leaving to be a squad player at United and don't see Villa letting him go for 40-50 million unless in dire straits, it was looking like that for much of the season but not anymore so it will take a big fee for any club as he has a long contract still and will probably get a wage increase.

Devil may care

Fred has shown over the last couple of games that he can play his part there, so we have the player who can rotate with Matic. Matic tends to play well until he gets overplayed game after game so that's what we need.
Fred hasn't played the holding role well, he has hunted the ball well and even used it well, but positionally he kept ending up ahead of Pogba a number of times, the fact is Fred is a box to box, Pogba needs a pure holder who'll provide a safety net, not an energetic box to box who chases the ball rather than reads the space in behind. Buying this decent but nothing special AM with questionable professionalism to back-up Bruno, instead of buying a starting holder first is like buying a satellite dish before you've even put the roof on the house.

Litch

Like him a lot, the problem is, he not a starter and there are other positions that need more prioritising

Xaviboy

Panic mode if we dont get Sancho and Grealish signs new contract with Villa.

Who do we get in if that scenario happens :confused::confused:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No idea who Brad Jones is but he seems to be a journalist, he's saying on Twitter that Grealish is signing a new contract at Villa.
The only way I can see that happening is if they include a definitive release clause for next season. So he stays there one more season and then if a top club comes in for 50m or something like that he can then leave without Villa standing in his way yet again.

I still doubt that he's signed a new one if we're still seriously interested in signing him now. Maybe if we've told him that we can't make it happen this year because of finances.

DannyDee

Hopefully not, I would lose my mind if we pass on Sancho because we dont want to pay 120 but we end up paying 60-70M for Grealish.

The difference in quality is way above their difference in price.
Not even just quality. Sancho fills a bigger need and likely will retain a much higher re-sale value. In 5 years Sancho is 25 and in his prime (barring obvious injury risks), whereas Grealish will be 30 with reduced value. It’s unlikely Grealish will ever have higher value relative to the market if bought at 70m, whereas with Sancho, it is a very possible situation. I remember when SAF thought all the fees attached to Hazard were insane, but Chelsea got 7 strong seasons out of him and sold him for way more than they paid even when factoring in the massive inflation in the transfer market caused by the Neymar and Mbappe deals.

croadyman

Maybe someone should ask that Gregg Evans or Stuart James if they think there's anything in the new contract stuff

Mind you apparently Ornstein is now reporting that he's closer to City than Utd then again he has rubbished links to us since Pogba was staying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.