Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

How are we going fit Rashford in the team then?

Grealish’s heatmap.

Rashford’s heatmap

Are we going to buy the next shiny object we can get our hands on, never play him at his preferred position and then lambast him publicly again?
Play them on the same side. Grealish will operate as an 8 on the left side to Bruno's right with a CDM in the middle be that Fred or someone else. The team would have a nice balance with McTomminay as alternative option to the 8 or CDM and if Pogba stays added world class bonus.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He is playing his best football as a LW in top flight league, but no, we are going look at what he did in the championship. Players have an idea of their best position all the time, that is the only irrelevant thing here.
He isn’t playing his best football. He was just as good centrally. Goals doesn’t mean better. Aye, the player himself and his own manager saying he is a central player are irrelevant but some stupid heatmap is relevant.

We aren’t a bottom table team nor play like one. Get some common sense and realize we obviously require different roles than them. He’s a central player, always has and always will be best centrally.

Teja

He is playing his best football as a LW in top flight league, but no, we are going look at what he did in the championship. Players have an idea of their best position all the time, that is the only irrelevant thing here.
He's more of a left sided attacking midfielder than a winger though. Pogba played this role for us for a bit - Graelish can hang out in the half space and provide a passing option for Rashford when he's out wide and try to find through balls / crosses when Rashford makes a run inside. I don't think he'll be out of position for us there.

Njord

His versatility is one of the best reasons to buy him. If we don't want to run Rashford and Fernandes into the ground next season, there will be plenty of games for Grealish at both LW and AM. Against lesser opposition he can also come in as CM to add creativity.

thepolice123

Play them on the same side. Grealish will operate as an 8 on the left side to Bruno's right with a CDM in the middle be that Fred or someone else. The team would have a nice balance with McTomminay as alternative option to the 8 or CDM and if Pogba stays added world class bonus.
He's more of a left sided attacking midfielder than a winger though. Pogba played this role for us for a bit - Graelish can hang out in the half space and provide a passing option for Rashford when he's out wide and try to find through balls / crosses when Rashford makes a run inside. I don't think he'll be out of position for us there.
Neither Fred nor McT are natural CDMs, I don’t think Matic is good enough to play there anymore too. The only way I can see that set-up working is if we sign a pure DM like Casemiro/Ndidi. The double pivot midfield has featured constantly throughout the season, in both the 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 variations. It would be incredibly daft because if we do sign him, we are essentially overhauling the midfield with an entirely new set-up and personnel, which tbh is quite unlikely to happen.

tjb

This will be nice assuming Pogba leaves.
We aren't City. Who is going to implement this. City are the only team currently that play with that sort of 433. Kroos is a deep-lying player, both Liverpool's tandem ahead of Fabinho are box to box and for Bayern Thiago is also a deep lying player. Remember what we brought Fernandes for. It was for his ability to create chances for himself and others, not for controlling the game. Defensively we already have enough issues on the counter, with that team we would be conceding 2 goals a game. We would be asking a lot of Ole to ask him to try and implement this.

Teja

Neither Fred nor McT are natural CDMs, I don’t think Matic is good enough to play there anymore too. The only way I can see that set-up working is if we sign a pure DM like Casemiro/Ndidi. The double pivot midfield has featured constantly throughout the season, in both the 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 variations. It would be incredibly daft because if we do sign him, we are essentially overhauling the midfield with an entirely new set-up and personnel, which tbh is quite unlikely to happen.
Fair point, but I don't know if this is as much of a change as you're saying because all three (Grealish, McTominay and Bruno) are fairly hardworking midfielders and can cover a lot of ground. We're not carrying a proper #10 here and the only real question mark as you say is if McTominay will be able to function as a pure DM. I personally think these players are flexible enough tactically to implement a system like this.

What do you think the system will be if we do sign Graelish (and Pogba leaves)? If we use our current system, it'll have to be:

---------------- Bruno ------------------
--- McTominay --- Grealish ----

in which case I don't think Grealish will be the right player at all.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I rate him so highly that I think he might be able to restore the sanctity of our number 7 shirt number. Although it should obviously go to Sancho if we manage to pull that one off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His versatility is one of the best reasons to buy him. If we don't want to run Rashford and Fernandes into the ground next season, there will be plenty of games for Grealish at both LW and AM. Against lesser opposition he can also come in as CM to add creativity.
Yep. People are forgetting we'd be getting him from Aston Villa who are fighting to stay in the league but might well get relegated, in which case they'll be fecked. Plus out of loyalty to the player for sticking around, they'll sell Grealish for a fair price, which is around £50-60m for him anyway (unless a bidding war ensues). Anyway point is he'll know hes not just going to jump from Villa to United/Liverpool/City/Spurs and instantly have the same key role. He'll be in a squad of top players, or add to that. Spurs have Ndombele and Lo Celso competing for the same spot basically. Liverpool often have Keita on the bench. City are always loaded everywhere. United would have Bruno, Fred and Grealish fighting for 2 positions, with Bruno and Grealish being versatile enough to cover in the attack as well. More than enough games, and space to push your way into a key role. Which is how it should be. None of them have a "world class reputation" like Pogba that you buy, pay 300k a week to be in and know if hes fit, hes in. All of them are quality players but they'll have to prove themselves worthy of indispensable tags.

arthurka

Taking him away from Villa and giving them Lingard the other way is beyond crappy from us. Villa loosing Grealish is enough on any set of fans not to be having to watch Lingard play every week too.

tjb

Taking him away from Villa and giving them Lingard the other way is beyond crappy from us. Villa loosing Grealish is enough on any set of fans not to be having to watch Lingard play every week too.
Imagine if Lingard flopped in the championship

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we can't offer him his best position, he'll go somewhere else. He has many options. It's just that simple.

Unless we pay him twice wage as other offers. But then you'd know he comes here just because of the money.

Sambob

Firstly, I'm a huge Grealish fan and I want him to come to United. Secondly, Grealish winning the Championship and securing promotion to the PL is good no doubt but I won't call him a winner based on that achievement. It's like calling Ole a winner since he won those trophies with Molde. Lastly, Bruno has won individual honors as well as team honors with Portugal. Once again I don't think Grealish is a less of a player but on the international side, Bruno is far more accomplished and therefore, I don't think we should be paying for Grealish more than what we did for Bruno.
Ed Woodward, is that you?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we can't offer him his best position, he'll go somewhere else. He has many options. It's just that simple.

Unless we pay him twice wage as other offers. But then you'd know he comes here just because of the money.
That's pure speculation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just like almost every other post in this thread.
haha. Sure. But you say "it's that simple" as if stating a fact. For all we know he might just really fancy coming to United. And the rumours linking him to Real and Barca may just be bs, who knows. They've not got a record of overpaying for English talent like Premier League clubs do.

Italian league is a step down, as is the French league, German clubs are not going to be spunking upwards of 60-70m on players like him (I don't think). So what are the alternatives: Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs. City are embroiled in that controversy so leaving them aside for the moment. Spurs are a realistic option and they've held interest in the past. Liverpool are unlikely to offer him a starting role if they retain their world class frontline. Chelsea are also a realistic option, if they're interested. I don't think he's some highly unattainable superstar with loads of options. Seems a realistic fit for United and not at some silly wages or way over the top transfer fee.

My opinion anyway.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
haha. Sure. But you say "it's that simple" as if stating a fact. For all we know he might just really fancy coming to United. And the rumours linking him to Real and Barca may just be bs, who knows. They've not got a record of overpaying for English talent like Premier League clubs do.

Italian league is a step down, as is the French league, German clubs are not going to be spunking upwards of 60-70m on players like him (I don't think). So what are the alternatives: Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs. City are embroiled in that controversy so leaving them aside for the moment. Spurs are a realistic option and they've held interest in the past. Liverpool are unlikely to offer him a starting role if they retain their world class frontline. Chelsea are also a realistic option, if they're interested. I don't think he's some highly unattainable superstar with loads of options. Seems a realistic fit for United and not at some silly wages or way over the top transfer fee.

My opinion anyway.
Rashford has that LW for life. Unless other teams also couldn't offer him his best position, we seriously don't have a big pull. The only thing United can offer him is mega wage. Yeh, it's all speculation, but high possibility.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Rashford has that LW for life. Unless other teams also couldn't offer him his best position, we seriously don't have a big pull. The only thing United can offer him is mega wage. Yeh, it's all speculation, but high possibility.
He isn't a LW nor does he want to play LW so its not a high possibility at all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Grealish’s heatmap.

Rashford’s heatmap

Are we going to buy the next shiny object we can get our hands on, never play him at his preferred position and then lambast him publicly again?
Grealish is playing as a left winger currently, but it doesn't mean he can't play midfield as he's done that before also.

Anyway Rashford might never be the same again who knows? we need another top class left sided player.

MadMike

Grealish is playing as a left winger currently, but it doesn't mean he can't play midfield as he's done that before also.

Anyway Rashford might never be the same again who knows? we need another top class left sided player.
This is beyond bizarre. Why would a young player not be the same again after a back injury of all things? And why do we need another top left sided player, before we even see how he is next season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is beyond bizarre. Why would a young player not be the same again after a back injury of all things? And why do we need another top left sided player, before we even see how he is next season.
It's really not bizarre. You've clearly never had a serious back injury! RVP and others have said they never felt the same with the same sort of injury.

Obviously there's a high chance Rashford will be fine, but we shouldn't stop future planning just because we hope Rashford will be fine.

The fact we also lack a proper replacement for Rashford is exactly the reason he's got over played and injured in the first place.

Scholsey2004

Well according to transfermarkt it is but of course you'll know better as you've watched every game he's played.
Transfermarkt is about as inaccurate about in match specifics as it's possible to get. Whoscored is better but still only takes into account starting positions in matches.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
He isn't a LW nor does he want to play LW so its not a high possibility at all.
Don’t spoil the party with facts. He is a winger and that’s it.

like stated before: his best position is in the middle and he wants to play there too.
I think this is our, most likeliest, big money signing this summer and I would welcome him with open arms.

MadMike

It's really not bizarre. You've clearly never had a serious back injury! RVP and others have said they never felt the same with the same sort of injury.

Obviously there's a high chance Rashford will be fine, but we shouldn't stop future planning just because we hope Rashford will be fine.

The fact we also lack a proper replacement for Rashford is exactly the reason he's got over played and injured in the first place.
It is bizarre, and the more you post the more bizarre it gets.

Our backup for Rashford is already in the team, and it's Dan James. He's been a LW all his career until he came here and got shunted on the right because of our lack of RW. We don't need to splash >£50m in a position we are already covered, while we have more urgent gaps to fill elsewhere in the squad. I'm pretty sure our future planning is more coherent than splashing big money for a position occupied by one of our star players.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I would understand this post if you were talking about Mbappe or some phenomenal player. But like I said previously, what are the alternatives?

Scholsey2004

I wonder whether we might play grealish as an inside left and Bruno as a (very) inside right if we signed Grealish. Grealish would then be able to help Rashford and Martial overload defenders. We seem to have played that lop sided system a lot in the last few years with Mata playing almost central. Obviously with very mixed results.

sherrinford

We aren't City. Who is going to implement this. City are the only team currently that play with that sort of 433. Kroos is a deep-lying player, both Liverpool's tandem ahead of Fabinho are box to box and for Bayern Thiago is also a deep lying player. Remember what we brought Fernandes for. It was for his ability to create chances for himself and others, not for controlling the game. Defensively we already have enough issues on the counter, with that team we would be conceding 2 goals a game. We would be asking a lot of Ole to ask him to try and implement this.
You mentioned City. Leicester play that way - neither of Tielemans or Maddison stick to a high position between the lines or a deep-lying position, or to either side of the pitch. Lazio are using Milinkovic-Savic and Luis Alberto with Lucas Leiva, beat Inter with that midfield last week and currently sit second in Serie A. Leverkusen adopted a system with Brandt and Havertz playing in midfield with a holder for the second half of the season last year and went from ninth to fourth. I saw Brandt playing in a midfield two, in a 3-4-3, earlier this season and being the best player on the pitch.

By all accounts, Grealish played in this way himself last season, alongside McGinn, and performed. The notion really isn’t that unusual or fantastical.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well according to transfermarkt it is but of course you'll know better as you've watched every game he's played.
Yes, a good number of games and I don't need to be dependent on Transfer market for this.

Alternatively check with any resident Sporting fans and they will confirm.

Hate it, when people argue by looking at some random websites.

jamesjimmybyrondean

All the positions Grealish can play in - LW, AM, CM are surprisingly occupied by our best players.

LW - Rashford
CM - Fred
AM - Bruno

He's certainly not going to sit on the bench so should he start over these players? I don't think we need to splash cash on him when he plays in positions that our best players occupy already. Even these positions have good bench options.

LW - James
CM - Mctominay
AM - Pereira. This is where I feel we need to spend money on because Pereira and Lingard are not even good enough for the bench. Spend money on some cheap AM that will be a solid bench option eg Cantwell, Buendia, Eze etc

I think a DM, deep lying playmaker specifically is all we need for a solid midfield not Grealish. This midfield looks solid enough and balanced.

........... Bruno........

.. Neves.......... Fred..

Just my two cents but I honestly wouldn't complain if we get Grealish. I love the way he moves on the pitch like a vintage footballer and he has that Fergie United character

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Grealish’s heatmap.

Rashford’s heatmap

Where did you get that heatmap from? Sofascore?

Is there any site which gives these for entire season.

croadyman

All the positions Grealish can play in - LW, AM, CM are surprisingly occupied by our best players.

LW - Rashford
CM - Fred
AM - Bruno

He's certainly not going to sit on the bench so should he start over these players? I don't think we need to splash cash on him when he plays in positions that our best players occupy already. Even these positions have good bench options.

LW - James
CM - Mctominay
AM - Pereira. This is where I feel we need to spend money on because Pereira and Lingard are not even good enough for the bench. Spend money on some cheap AM that will be a solid bench option eg Cantwell, Buendia, Eze etc

I think a DM, deep lying playmaker specifically is all we need for a solid midfield not Grealish. This midfield looks solid enough and balanced.

........... Bruno........

.. Neves.......... Fred..

Just my two cents but I honestly wouldn't complain if we get Grealish. I love the way he moves on the pitch like a vintage footballer and he has that Fergie United character
There is no doubt we could really do with a DLP but getting the distinct impression Utd have no intention in signing one.

Would be delighted if we could somehow pull off the Grealish & Sancho miracle this summer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Havertz over Grealish or Madison. Although I like the fact Madison is a utd fan. He could nearly have been a dan James type signing a few years ago and would have been playing first team For us since last year! We dropped the ball. I know Playing young players guarantees noting but playing the very best young players In a balanced and tough side is the only way to go!

thepolice123

Fair point, but I don't know if this is as much of a change as you're saying because all three (Grealish, McTominay and Bruno) are fairly hardworking midfielders and can cover a lot of ground. We're not carrying a proper #10 here and the only real question mark as you say is if McTominay will be able to function as a pure DM. I personally think these players are flexible enough tactically to implement a system like this.

What do you think the system will be if we do sign Graelish (and Pogba leaves)? If we use our current system, it'll have to be:

--- McTominay --- Grealish ----

in which case I don't think Grealish will be the right player at all.
Personally, I'm all for the signing of Grealish if the price is right. 40-50m is a fair amount for him. If its 70-80m we need to look elsewhere.

If we do sign him, we have to either play him on the left side of midfield 3 or in the AM position. He can be a backup for Rashford in the LW postion too.

IMO

--------- Bruno ------------------
--- Fred ------McTominay ----

looks better and more balanced than:

--- Grealish --- McTominay ----

McT has good working relationship with Fred on the pitch. Dismantling them to fit Grealish would be daft if you ask me.

It also looks better than:

----- Grealish ------ Bruno --------------
---------- McTominay/Fred -‐---------

So the question is are we really going to buy him for 70-80m and have him sit on the bench? On top of that we need to re-mould McT into an anchorman and drop Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.