Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is bizarre, and the more you post the more bizarre it gets.

Our backup for Rashford is already in the team, and it's Dan James. He's been a LW all his career until he came here and got shunted on the right because of our lack of RW. We don't need to splash >£50m in a position we are already covered, while we have more urgent gaps to fill elsewhere in the squad. I'm pretty sure our future planning is more coherent than splashing big money for a position occupied by one of our star players.
The feeling is mutual pal.

Dan James isn't good enough for starters, and he's used mostly on the right wing. Unless he improves I don't see him staying here for a long time.

Grealish can happily play as an 8/10 or LW. We play 50+ games a season, Rashford can't play EVERY match. Signing him is a no brainer.

TrueRed79

Seriously impressed with him this season. Has that bit of arrogance on the ball. Works hard and can score goals. Think he would flourish here and i'm pretty sure we'd be his first preference if he leaves Villa at the end of the season. That's purely based on what he said before we played them at OT this season. And he's in my FPL team all season, so basically, yeah sign him up.

Lee565

If we were to buy him I can only see one formation benefiting him, Fernandes and rashford and that is the same formation man city use at times with a very offensive 3 at the back formation

_____lindelof_maguire_shaw
_______Mctominay_fred
Rw___fernandes__grealish__rashford
_____________martial

It could have good balance to it if we are flexible in switching the formation to a 4411 when we lose the ball with shaw moving out to the left back position and mctominay filling in to the right back position, he has the stamina, discipline and good defensive capabilities about him to do a good enough job of filing full back position when its needed

Note this line up would be more against the teams we struggle to break down when they sit back and put up two blocks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Noticed Ole said in the post match press conference that in Bruno we have the number 10 position sorted, wonder if that means no interest in Grealish then :(

(or Maddison for that matter)

buckooo1978

I think (and hope) our budget will be eaten up by a RW and a DM for starters

we have a number of players we should be shifting - Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Sanchez and we will lose Gomes and Chong

Bruno needs to be playing where we should have played Pogba - closer to goal with a freer role - hard to see how Grealish and Fernandes play in the same team

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I think (and hope) our budget will be eaten up by a RW and a DM for starters

we have a number of players we should be shifting - Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Sanchez and we will lose Gomes and Chong

Bruno needs to be playing where we should have played Pogba - closer to goal with a freer role - hard to see how Grealish and Fernandes play in the same team
Grealish seems to play wide left alot for Villa when you watch him

Could be more Rashford hes competing with

IrishRedDevil

Grealish can replace Lingard, Pereira and Mata. Sell all 3 of them. He can play from the left or centrally. He probably even has the quality to play deeper, if required.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Noticed Ole said in the post match press conference that in Bruno we have the number 10 position sorted, wonder if that means no interest in Grealish then :(

(or Maddison for that matter)
He did clarify in another press conference that he's box to box, there's some games he sees him in a 2, others where he's a #10. He then compared him to both Scholes and Veron.

buckooo1978

Grealish can replace Lingard, Pereira and Mata. Sell all 3 of them. He can play from the left or centrally. He probably even has the quality to play deeper, if required.
I agree with this....we shouldn't be scrimping as if we are paupers.

We should be signing elite players like Sancho but filling the squad out with young quality like Grealish/Buendia - the other night against Bruges confirmed we cant really rely on players like Matic/Mata/Pereira and Lingard in the same team

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has? How much of an educated guess is it? Because if he is that versatile I'm certainly not against your proposition.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yes, and his creativity and movement could easily take Daniel James also out of equation, and so far rightly so.

yan man utd

Hope I’m not sounding over enthusiastic but Fernandes looks like a proper player who can move all around the midfield and he is even experienced in playing the pirlo role so he can receive from defence. Of course we have to get Grealish - can you imagine how daunting it would be to face Fernandes, Grealish and Rashford - all players who are not only gifted but take responsibility and run their socks off... honestly if Pogba goes and we get Grealish I would be v happy purely because Pogba for some reason doesn’t think he needs to put the same amount of physical effort. Fred is getting better and better and let’s not forget McTominay. Maddison would be great too but for me - sell Pogba , get Grealish and Sancho or another top class winger, one fast combative centre back (or recall smalling) and one high quality defensive midfielder like neves - but it’s surprisingly becoming the least of our priorities because of Fred and Matic form and McTominays versatility.
Simple right?! But Fernandes has made an obvious difference and shows what a difference a personality can make...

RooneyLegend

Our golden boy plays as a left forward. We now have bought a right footed midfield playmaker, which means he'll obviously gravitate to the left. There simply isn't any space to fit him in. Not just that I don't think he's ready to play for a club our size. While he's ridiculously gifted he isn't amazingly effective.

stepic

we only need him if Pogba goes. hopefully that isn't the case, given Pogba is a far superior player.

Adamsk7

Why are people talking like we can halve only one quality player in any position? We need to get away from that mid table club mentality sharpish! There was a time when we’d have players like Solskjaer, Yorke, Sheringham, Veron, Park, Nani, Berbatov on our benches!

Competition is what we want. If Grealish comes in and is better than Rashford, Bruno, McT or whoever then he plays. If he’s not, then he doesn’t. We should want people that are up for a fight like that and we should be looking for a full squad of players who are always looking over their shoulder.

romufc

Our golden boy plays as a left forward. We now have bought a right footed midfield playmaker, which means he'll obviously gravitate to the left. There simply isn't any space to fit him in. Not just that I don't think he's ready to play for a club our size. While he's ridiculously gifted he isn't amazingly effective.
We are one injury or loss of form to having Lingard and Perreira back.

The good thing about signing someone like Grealish is that he can do a job in more than one area of the pitch.

He will play alot of games considering we only have only 1 LW, 1 CAM, 1 St, 0 RW who you consider starting 11.

James is a rotation option and Greenwood is not completely ready.

So we need more quality and Grealish will certainly be it. He has shown leadership and maturity at Villa this season showing he is ready for the step up.

Mainoldo

The good thing about signing someone like Grealish is that he can do a job in more than one area of the pitch.

He will play alot of games considering we only have only 1 LW, 1 CAM, 1 St, 0 RW who you consider starting 11.

So we need more quality and Grealish will certainly be it. He has shown leadership and maturity at Villa this season showing he is ready for the step up.
Agree with this. He’d be perfect rotation back up for Rashford and Martial. Who can occupy two positions, the left and upfront.

Whilst he’s capable of being a CM option.

romufc

Agree with this. He’d be perfect rotation back up for Rashford and Martial. Who can occupy two positions, the left and upfront.

Whilst he’s capable of being a CM option.
This season has also shown us that we need more options. We will not go a season with Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood fit in every game.

Realistically if we play 4-3-3 we need 4 top quality players and 2 rotation. We have 2 in Martial and Rashford. Greenwood breaking though and James as a rotation.

Our squad has enough space for 3/4 more quality signings easily.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So we're gonna have him as a utility backup? A 60-80m player who's not guaranteed in our Best XI?
What have you guys been smoking?

romufc

So we're gonna have him as a utility backup? A 60-80m player who's not guaranteed in our Best XI?
What have you guys been smoking?
The reason we have seen players struggle is because there is no competition of places.

Grealish would walk into this team right now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The reason we have seen players struggle is because there is no competition of places.

When everyone's fit, he's in place of who? What would be our strongest 11? Next season, we'll need top CM/DM, RW, and backup striker. I'm not sure we have a 60-80m leftover for "just in case everyone's not fit, or for certain games" player.

And I'm not sure how you can sell this to Grealish also. Unless you doubled his wage over other competitors offers.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Where is he walking to if all our players are fit though? He can play LW so should he bench Rashford our best attacker and goal scorer? He can play AM so should he bench Bruno? He can play CM so should he bench Fred who is arguably our best and most consistent player this season?

romufc

Where is he walking to if all our players are fit though? He can play LW so should he bench Rashford our best attacker and goal scorer? He can play AM so should he bench Bruno? He can play CM so should he bench Fred who is arguably our best and most consistent player this season?
Firstly, when was the last time we played 5 or more games with everyone fit?
Name me the last time we played 5 games with the same midfield and attack.

Secondly, this whole season everyone has complained about our squad not being good enough.

He can play in a 4-3-3 with bruno and a DM. Some people say it is too attacking but Ole himself has said Bruno can play in a 2 or box to box.

We then have defensive full backs which will give us more attacking play.

romufc

When everyone's fit, he's in place of who? What would be our strongest 11? Next season, we'll need top CM/DM, RW, and backup striker. I'm not sure we have a 60-80m leftover for "just in case everyone's not fit, or for certain games" player.

And I'm not sure how you can sell this to Grealish also. Unless you doubled his wage over other competitors offers.
When was the last time everyone was fit playing regularly?

So how do you plan on getting creativity in this team? Teams are going to work Bruno out and then we will struggle again.

God Forbid an injury to Bruno and we will play Ligard and Perreira again?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When was the last time everyone was fit playing regularly?

So how do you plan on getting creativity in this team? Teams are going to work Bruno out and then we will struggle again.

God Forbid an injury to Bruno and we will play Ligard and Perreira again?
That's why we need to have a strong XI first, so we're not depending on one player or position to win games.

Btw, I'm not against signing Grealish, as I think he's a very talented player. But I'm just not sure he's a priority, as there are still massive gap hole in our best XI need to be addressed.

romufc

That's why we need to have a strong XI first, so we're not depending on one player or position to win games.
Up top lets say we go with

Rashford Martial New RW
Bruno
McT/Fred New DM

We have James and Greenwood.

Clearly we need a few more quality signings and cannot expect Bruno to play 50 games 90 mins of all.

RooneyLegend

He's too expensive to buy as an option.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Firstly, when was the last time we played 5 or more games with everyone fit?
Name me the last time we played 5 games with the same midfield and attack.

Secondly, this whole season everyone has complained about our squad not being good enough.

He can play in a 4-3-3 with bruno and a DM. Some people say it is too attacking but Ole himself has said Bruno can play in a 2 or box to box.

We then have defensive full backs which will give us more attacking play.
So if we want to sign him what do we say? "I can't guarantee you a starting place because all the positions you play in we already have our best players there but I can guarantee all our players won't be fit"

You're correct our squad is not good enough. But the positions we are not good enough in are the ones Grealish can't play in. We need an RW clearly. We need a DM because Matic is declining. We need a striker because Martial is inconsistent and we need a solid back up AM for Bruno that's not Lingard, Mata and Pereira

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Rashford Martial New RW
Bruno
McT/Fred New DM

Clearly we need a few more quality signings and cannot expect Bruno to play 50 games 90 mins of all.
What did we have as backup to Scholes when we were winning trophies left and right?

What does Liverpool have as backup for Mane, Firminho, and Salah? or City for Silva and KdB? or Barca in the past for Xavi and Iniesta? They don't need equal quality and expensive player as backup, because they have a strong XI where other positions can cover one injured player.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant

People think because he's fouled so often it's because he goes down too easy but that's far from the case.

Most of the times he's fouled it's because he's been kicked and kicked again because the opposition player just can't get to the ball. Under pressure he's so strong, and his technical ability and close control are on another level.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Rashford Martial New RW
Bruno
McT/Fred New DM

I think you're just creating your own narrative. Mine is:

Rashford New Striker New RW
Bruno
New DM Fred

Bench - Romero Mctominay James Martial Williams Tuanzebe Solid back up AM

MadMike

Of all the positions, AM/LW is the one we are most overloaded with at the moment. We'd have to fill our most urgent priorities first (RW, 2nd Striker, DM) and sell a handful of players before looking to get in a player in that position. And even filling our urgent priorities hinges on selling Pogba first.

You seem to be forgetting that apart from Mata, Lingard and Pereira we also have Alexis Sanchez returning from loan and eating up 350k pw. It's not easy to shift these players, never mind in one window.

RedCurry

People think because he's fouled so often it's because he goes down too easy but that's far from the case.

Most of the times he's fouled it's because he's been kicked and kicked again because the opposition player just can't get to the ball. Under pressure he's so strong, and his technical ability and close control are on another level.
People say he dives? I wouldn't have imagined that to be one of the criticisms against him. He is one of the physically strongest midfielders in the league and it's so hard to push him off the ball generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.