Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacifictheme

Grealish is a low rent version of what we already have. Now Bruno is here we have zero need for him, even if Pogba does go. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be happy warming the bench and would we put up with his antics if that's all he is going to be doing?
Pogba goes. Bruno gets injured or needs a rest, or even just loses form. Who covers him, go.

Hint, lingard and Pereira are not credible options. Gomes isn't either.

Pogba goes. Bruno gets injured or needs a rest, or even just loses form. Who covers him, go.

Hint, lingard and Pereira are not credible options. Gomes isn't either.
But what about the other 90% of the time? Are we going to be content with him sitting on the bench sulking and acting an idiot?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He killed someone when drunk driving though, right?
Every time he scores it gets talked about on here (which is understandable) so I'm amazed you don't know. Google is your friend if you are actually interested.

It's the same as people saying John Terry slept with Wayne Bridge's wife. Just a lie made to make something awful seem even worse.

Stacks

Every time he scores it gets talked about on here (which is understandable) so I'm amazed you don't know. Google is your friend if you are actually interested.

It's the same as people saying John Terry slept with Wayne Bridge's wife. Just a lie made to make something awful seem even worse.
"He was the driver of a car that collided with a wall, killing one of the passengers, a 22-year-old woman, having been driving at 112.8 km/h (70 mph) in wet conditions in a 50 km/h (30 mph) zone, with a blood alcohol level of 0.93 mg per millilitre of blood.He faced 21 months in prison when sentenced in February 2016, but his punishment was changed to a €61,000 fine and a driving ban of three years and four months, which had already been spent."

death by reckless driving

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The right characters. The maturity to play for United.

Watching him this season you would say that he fits.
I think on the pitch he seems a very good player and my opinion of him in that regard hasn’t changed. But in terms of people I could really get behind and think will cope with the pressure of playing for United. I think this incident for me is somehow different and I think he won’t cope with the pressure. His first reaction in a national crisis is to get pissed with his mates? What’s he going to be like with the media’s eyes constantly on him?
Feel like people saying a lot of the moral stuff are acting like they were born yesterday, none of this recent stuff will be a factor of if he joins us. It will be people on forums and twitter that might still go on about it, the wider population and world won't be losing their shit over his ignorant behaviour in a months time, let alone when the football season actually starts again, there's been far bigger crimes committed by footballers.
I know it probably won’t be a factor, but I think it should be. If the club is really wanting no drama queens and just dedicated professionals who will work for the team I see no greater example of a lack of team work a lack of leadership and a lack of maturity than Grealish’s actions.

I’ve actually previously defended Grealish and been a huge admirer of his but I think this for me shows true his character (sounding like Brendan Rodgers right now).

I think he hasn’t gone anywhere near far enough with his apology which seemed forced and completely insincere and I guess that is also what irks me. If there was a genuine sign of regret perhaps I could glean more into his redeemable qualities but the fact everything he has done has been to bury this as quickly and as quietly as possible with a forced donation of wages etc for me it’s not right.

pacifictheme

But what about the other 90% of the time? Are we going to be content with him sitting on the bench sulking and acting an idiot?
I am not saying him specifically but if pogba goes we 100% need someone to come in to compete with bruno. Remember how fecking dire we were before he showed up? We play about 55 to 60 games a season so there are plenty of chances for players to contribute.

Grealish actually would be a good fit as he can play 8, 10 or lw. That covers 3 positions, and by cover I don't mean he sits on the bench, I mean he is one of the players who can play any game if needed. Mctominay and Fred are not undroppable. Look at city, they have so much quality in midfield and attack and it works.

Realistically if bruno and rashford played 45 out of 55 to 60 games that's 20 plus games right there, he can easily play in midfield as well.

I think people forget how often united of old used to change lineups. All the time.

duffer

Scout
"He was the driver of a car that collided with a wall, killing one of the passengers, a 22-year-old woman, having been driving at 112.8 km/h (70 mph) in wet conditions in a 50 km/h (30 mph) zone, with a blood alcohol level of 0.93 mg per millilitre of blood.He faced 21 months in prison when sentenced in February 2016, but his punishment was changed to a €61,000 fine and a driving ban of three years and four months, which had already been spent."

You've quoted the wrong person I think. I'm not the one asking questions about this.

I remember it in all the papers when he was a Bolton player.

I am not saying him specifically but if pogba goes we 100% need someone to come in to compete with bruno. Remember how fecking dire we were before he showed up? We play about 55 to 60 games a season so there are plenty of chances for players to contribute.

Grealish actually would be a good fit as he can play 8, 10 or lw. That covers 3 positions, and by cover I don't mean he sits on the bench, I mean he is one of the players who can play any game if needed. Mctominay and Fred are not undroppable. Look at city, they have so much quality in midfield and attack and it works.

Realistically if bruno and rashford played 45 out of 55 to 60 games that's 20 plus games right there, he can easily play in midfield as well.

I think people forget how often united of old used to change lineups. All the time.
I think he's easily good enough to play that role. I just don't think he'd be happy as a Phil Neville/John O'Shea type being asked to fill in the gaps between better players.

pacifictheme

I think he's easily good enough to play that role. I just don't think he'd be happy as a Phil Neville/John O'Shea type being asked to fill in the gaps between better players.
Yeah you may be right. But then if he's good enough he will force someone else out.

laughtersassassin

Grealish is a low rent version of what we already have. Now Bruno is here we have zero need for him, even if Pogba does go. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be happy warming the bench and would we put up with his antics if that's all he is going to be doing?

Attitudes like this makes you a team with one creative player who can be man marked out of a lot of games......

laughtersassassin

It's not even compete with Bruno in atleast 80% of games you can play Bruno and another creative player together. They only compete for the other 20. People are insane if they don't want that.

Cliche Guevara

It was reduced to fingering, on appeal.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still think this guy is an upgrade on Maddison. Do I car that he went out when he shouldn't have done? Well, I remember Messrs Robson and McGrath so i don't give a monkey's. Is there better out there right now who will be available - if so, I'm willing to listen

Devil may care

Yet some people clearly think it’s just a bit of banter as NHS staff (of which I have several in my immediate family and friends) are literally out there dealing with the absolute horror of watching people die without family there to comfort them. But n’aw lets all lay off poor Ickle Jack because he’s just being a lad. Cretins
Exactly, the football world is coming off as utterly tone deaf in this whole thing compared to other sports and entertainment industries, people acting like this situation can ber compared to anything else when it's like nothing the world has faced before. Thanks to your family members in the NHS mate, hope they stay safe as they can.

sherrinford

If Ole is very detailed about this United character thing It might put him off. Personally i dont even care. What should matter is if he is good on the pitch, If he is professional, wants to be a winner and if he isn't toxic.
That’s exactly it. It’s about what he does on the pitch, in the dressing room and in training. And to be fair, if he’s doing the business on the pitch his teammates and coaches most likely won’t care if he’s a terrible trainer and a dick of a person anyway.

What he does outside of those things isn’t very relevant. The suitability of his character for a football team is being questioned when a week ago it was a very popular reason for signing him - leader etc. Does this incident shine a new light on his performances this season? Do people think it’s going to affect how he plays going forward?

It has soured a lot of folk and Solskjaer may well be put off, but if we were serious about signing him and had decided that he was someone we were going to actively pursue in the next transfer window it would be silly to call it off because of this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It wasn't his wife! It was his ex girlfriend.

If anyone thinks that's the same thing, I'd like them to consult their wives and post a pic of the resulting black eye!
She wasn't his ex girlfriend at the time

RooneyLegend

He trains hard and plays well. Everything else is neither here nor there. I don't want him here caus I don't think he'll fit in our side. All this other stuff is a waste of our time.

Alemar

Is it normal? I mean, a punishment for killing a person via drunk driving - a fine only? Unbelievable laws

royce987

Is it normal? I mean, a punishment for killing a person via drunk driving - a fine only? Unbelievable laws
Here is a quote from a article covering the story using google traslate.

He was facing up to four years in prison, which was subsequently reduced to one year and nine months and one day in prison, and the prison sentence has finally been changed to a fine, although in this case the fine is twice that of imprisonment, that is, instead of 21 months, 42 for 50 euros a day, 61,000 euros to be paid next week. In addition, the prosecution waived the sentence on costs, that is, the payment of his fees by the footballer that would have been about 100,000 euros. This reduction in sentence is largely due to the fact that Romero's client voluntarily decided to pay the victim's parents and siblings 200,000 euros for the moral damage caused, which in these cases serves as a mitigating factor. To this amount paid a few months ago, it must be added that later the parties agreed to another 300,000 euros. Total, The footballer has given half a million euros, an amount that adds to the 109,000 euros that Mutua Madrileña paid to the family for civil liability. But it is not only an economic question, the footballer at no time denied any of the three crimes that were accused, recognizing at all times the facts. What differentiates him from other cases, such as that of the bullfighter Ortega Cano.

In addition to taking into account the mitigation for damage repair, undue delays due to the delay of the judicial procedure have also been appreciated, since the case was in the Investigating Court of Plaza de Castilla for about four years, when the normal is it takes one or a year and a half.

As for the deprivation of the driving license, as it had been suspended since the accident, the truth is that more than the imposed time has already elapsed, so the footballer could return to driving at any time as long as he removes the license.
https://www.larazon.es/deportes/fut...cidio-imprudente-KK11829120/#.Ttt1tSnQmoUrNS5

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What the feck has Alonso killing someone got to do with Grealish?
Grealish is quality and would be a welcome addition.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thank you
Maybe for a bit detail:
"It wasn't just the fact Terry cheated on his wife, it was the fact that he did it with his teammate's ex-girlfriend very soon after their break-up. Bear in mind this was a couple that had been together for a few years and a kid together. Importantly Terry was the captain of the national team at the time and had been one of Bridge's best friends. "

duffer

Scout
Maybe for a bit detail:
"It wasn't just the fact Terry cheated on his wife, it was the fact that he did it with his teammate's ex-girlfriend very soon after their break-up. Bear in mind this was a couple that had been together for a few years and a kid together. Importantly Terry was the captain of the national team at the time and had been one of Bridge's best friends. "
He waited till they broke up, like a gentleman.

My captain.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He waited till they broke up, like a gentleman.

My captain.
:lol: Couldn't blame him. I wouldn't say no either if offered.

Maybe Terry knew how bad that woman was, so he made sure there's no way back for his best mate. He sacrificed for the greater good.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Yeah, think this one's not happening anymore. United cares about this sort of thing, even after Sir Alex's departure.
On to Maddison.

MattofManchester

People mentioning Sir Alex? Wasn't there several players who spoke about being hungover to death at training?

Didn't Nani say Sir Alex wasn't too worried if you showed up drunk during the festive period.

My thinking is this:
Grealish made his video telling people to stay home.
He got bored.
He got drunk(Plenty of us doing this if we managed to stock the liquor cabinet beforehand).
Judgment clouded, he got into his car against curfew.

I'm not condoning it, but I can picture the thought process involved.

Would still sign him though. He did a strange thing at a strange time, but that doesn't eliminate his professionalism as a footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.