Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I would really enjoy watching a young technical English/Irish lad like him at United I'm not too fussed if he likes his drink. Its something that's been in football for ages and some of our best players liked it and did drink driving to on their breaks even though it wasnt right.

He did do things wrong and at a wrong time with the virus but I feel I still can see that the lad has grown up and fumbled right at the end when it requires more thinking.

Hopefully he gets banned driving.

It can be toned down here and at a club like United with more eyes on Grealish is all he needs to stop the stupidity.

I still am open to the guy moving here aslong as things don't worsen anymore.
I find it very hard to believe he has any chance of joining Utd or any top six club after this incident, Ole is trying to instill professionalism and commitment in his players like we have seen demonstrated from Bruno, Ighalo & Co. I don't think it is helping Jack that he is obviously not someone looking to settle down his partying ways at the moment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The drink driving would bother me a lot more than breaking the lockdown.

Obviously the latter is stupid and cnutish, but it's a stupid and cnutish reaction to a very unusual situation that might never be repeated again in his lifetime. Whereas drink driving is the type of highly repeatable cuntishness that could well crop up again. Most people who are caught drink driving have done so multiple times before without being caught.

Withnail

The drink driving would bother me a lot more than breaking the lockdown.

Obviously the latter is stupid and cnutish, but it's a stupid and cnutish reaction to a very unusual situation that might never be repeated again in his lifetime. Whereas drink driving is the type of highly repeatable cuntishness that could well crop up again. Most people who are caught drink driving have done so multiple times before without being caught.
Also the fact that whoever was driving was so pissed they immediately hit some parked cars gives me a huge cause for concern.

The driver is lucky someone isn't dead.

I wouldn't do it myself but I kind of understand someone taking a chance after one or two.

However, if you're that hammered I don't understand why you'd even attempt to drive. Call a taxi and have someone else drive you home while you have a nap.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No excuse other than being a narcissistic moron. Our days of dealing with these types of egos should be a thing of the past. He might grow up but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We don’t know if he was drink driving for sure, the apology was in reference to breaking the curfew
This is the crux.
Has he just foolishly broken a curfew or has he drunk driven.

The former is just silly kid nonsense. The latter is horrible reckless idiocy we don't want to go near.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I really hope we don’t sign him now. This kind of attitude epitomises everything wrong with some footballers. Entitled reckless and completely self centred.

In terms of insensitivity the whole nation is making sacrifices at the moment and he decided to have a night out at his mates.

An absolute joke of a man and given how much we’ve seen the right kind of attitude helps a team I think he hasn’t got it. On the pitch no questions about his ability but off the pitch this for me is a huge red flag showing complete immaturity.

A lot of people referencing Giggs, Rooney etc but although it sounds bizarre their actions were not putting many lives in danger and while selfish are done in isolation without potential repercussions for more than a few people close to the incidents. I’m not condoning them but this incident feels very different. In a time where everyone in the country is probably appreciating things they took for granted a lot more he’s roaming around like a knob.

I was 100% for his transfer to United before this but I’d be greatly disappointed in Ole and the club if we pursue him now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This is the crux.
Has he just foolishly broken a curfew or has he drunk driven.

The former is just silly kid nonsense. The latter is horrible reckless idiocy we don't want to go near.
I completely disagree that it’s just silly kid nonsense. Dickens Heath is a densely packed suburban setting plenty of elderly and a lot of young families etc that he could be putting at risk by unnecessary travel. Regardless of whether he was drunk driving.

His apology was also completely lacking in genuine emotion he looked hungover and didn’t actually say I’m sorry. For me that’s a big indicator of someone who is not genuine. He just says it was stupid but recognising stupidity and an actual apology are different.

Kostur

海尔的老板
A week or so ago it was Maddison partying out fecking up the curfew, now it's this feck, we honestly should steer clear, those guys have got problems, either with alcohol or their non functioning brains.

RAVred

Wasn't crazy about him before and thought he'd be at least decent, but definitely a no go now

crossy1686

career ending
Jack's done a great job of lowering his valuation, I'd still take him if he is in fact guilty of drink driving.

He wouldn't dream of doing this shit at United anyway because he'd be out of the door the same season. Everyone makes mistakes, some bigger than others.

dev1l

Jack's done a great job of lowering his valuation, I'd still take him if he is in fact guilty of drink driving.

He wouldn't dream of doing this shit at United anyway because he'd be out of the door the same season. Everyone makes mistakes, some bigger than others.
Same here.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I think it would be completely against what we are trying to build. A team full of the right characters. Do you think Ferguson would sign him after that?

pacifictheme

I think it would be completely against what we are trying to build. A team full of the right characters. Do you think Ferguson would sign him after that?
You might want to take a look at cantonas track record prior to signing with us.

Canucantona20

I really don’t understand how footballers don’t pay someone to wait outside of a venue or house they are at if they know they are going to be drinking, to simply drive them home.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Suarez although a cnut, was a cnut on the pitch. Giggs although a cnut, was known as being very professional after his original Spice Boy image.

Rooney is the only one who is analogous in so far that he was unprofessional and we had already seen him decline at 27-28. I think everyone can accept the first Grealish incident as he was a teenager but with the stories I've read about him going out and getting regularly pissed in Birmingham and now this, I think it's obvious he isn't the most professional player. He's not a player we're desperate for so best to cast our gaze elsewhere.
Hasn't all that stopped the last couple of years though? From what I've heard he used to be doing that all the time but had really cleaned up his act lately. Obviously this incident is a throw-back to that though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Amazing how the fans who idolise Cantona, Paul McGrath, Rio Ferdinand, Bryan Robson and George Best can't handle some daft nighttime prank
What was the "prank" element of it, out of interest?

Bondi77

I find it very hard to believe he has any chance of joining Utd or any top six club after this incident, Ole is trying to instill professionalism and commitment in his players like we have seen demonstrated from Bruno, Ighalo & Co. I don't think it is helping Jack that he is obviously not someone looking to settle down his partying ways at the moment.
That is right.
The other thing is if he goes to a big club he is then going to be really in the spotlight and the pressure to perform is going to intensify and maybe this is his way of dealing with the pressure.
People in all walks of life use alcohol and maybe other substances and even gambling as their pressure release valve but when they are high level sportsmen it never ends well.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How do you find it hard to believe when Chelsea signed [Irrelevant point] who literally killed someone? Compared to this incident which the police report states was a minor accident.

Top 6 sides have signed drink drivers in the past and will continue to do so.

We’ve had and produced many a drink driver ourselves.

ColvaleGoa

I don't think this will deter us from signing Grealish if we are really interested. The Lad has made a mistake. Luckily for him, he hasn't injured anyone. He will realise that just by getting linked with United brings this much scrutiny. We have had mad characters before. I think the kid has learnt a lesson and don't think he is doing this sort of shite again. I don't approve of drink driving,,but I have done it in my younger days. I think Grealish will bring a lot of quality if we sign him.

Andersonson

With this and all of the things he has done in the past, it makes zero sense of us buying him.

Unless Ole is only talking bs about mentality etc. Which I dont think he does.

The one is off, and im glad it is.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You might want to take a look at cantonas track record prior to signing with us.
I’m aware of Cantona’s I just think this is very different to any previously selfish or stupid act by potential signings.

Grealish has essentially said feck the rest of the country I do what I want and that really doesn’t sit right with me. I was 100% for signing Grealish and this for me is a massive statement with regards to his character and he has been found wanting here irrevocably for me

United Pro

Paul Hirst in the Times saying that Grealish is expected to arrive at United (in the article about our interest in de Ligt).

crossy1686

career ending
Well yeah, he tried to sign Gazza after similar antics or knowing his *character. People make mistakes, it's not like he's made a name for himself as a drunk driver. Loris got banned the other season and no one seems to keep bringing that up, it was a one off. Yaya Toure was also done for drink driving. If this happens again then he'll a very short United career, if indeed we do sign him.

Oldyella

Amazing how the fans who idolise Cantona, Paul McGrath, Rio Ferdinand, Bryan Robson and George Best can't handle some daft nighttime prank
While you have a point, can you really say Grealish is fit to lace any of those players boots, hypocritical as that is.

Sweet Square

Yeah it's really odd although I understand the anger at someone drink driving. Here's Keane before the FA cup final in 1999

Keane accused of assaulting woman

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/may/18/newsstory.sport4
Manchester United skipper Roy Keane was under arrest today as police probed claims that he assaulted a woman in a bar.

The team's manager, Alex Ferguson, asked if reports of Keane's arrest were true, said: "Yes, it's true, I'm going along there in a minute."

Leanne Carey, 25, told The Sun newspaper that the United captain kicked her in the thigh after pouring a pint of beer over her friend. She said she met Keane and some of his team mates in a Manchester city centre bar as they celebrated clinching the Premiership title. Australian Leanne told the paper: "He gave me a good kick, I'll have a bruise tomorrow."

A Greater Manchester Police spokeswoman said: "At 9.25pm on Monday, following a complaint of assault from a woman, a 27-year-old man was arrested by police officers.

"The incident is alleged to have taken place at Henry's cafe bar in Manchester city centre shortly before the call to the police.

"The man is currently being held at Bootle Street police station and will be interviewed later this morning."

Ferguson, asked on GMTV if he felt like a teacher looking after kids, said: "Well, we'll have to straighten this out, but from what I can gather, it's inaccurate." Ferguson later arrived at Bootle Street police station with a member of United's security staff.

Keane's arrest is a headache Ferguson does not need as his side bids to win an unprecedented treble for an English club. United beat Tottenham 2-1 at Old Trafford on Sunday to clinch the Premiership from Arsenal by one point.

Keane will play a key role in Ferguson's preparations for Saturday's FA Cup final against Newcastle United, with a vital role on centre midfield. But he is out of the Champions League Final against Bayern Munich in Barcelona on May 26 through suspension.

The players had a day off yesterday after Sunday's nail-biting match with Spurs and some are thought to have played golf. They were due to have a photocall and meeting with the press later today.

croadyman

Paul Hirst in the Times saying that Grealish is expected to arrive at United (in the article about our interest in de Ligt).
Interesting that one of the more reliable UK Newspapers is reporting a renewed interest in De Ligt and expects Grealish to still join Utd despite what happened at the weekend. I realise that Hirst is only considered a tier 3 source on here but certainly has more weight than The Express or Metro reporting it.

I also found it interesting that all three newspapers look like they are getting their information from different sources as there is no mention of the words according to ...…. in any of them at all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Interesting that one of the more reliable UK Newspapers is reporting a renewed interest in De Ligt and expects Grealish to still join Utd despite what happened at the weekend. I realise that Hirst is only considered a tier 3 source on here but certainly has more weight than The Express or Metro reporting it.

I also found it interesting that all three newspapers look like they are getting their information from different sources as there is no mention of the words according to ...…. in any of them at all.
Hirst is tier 2

Judas

Open to offers
I think people are being a bit naive if they think this will destroy the chance of us still buying him. I think the future of Pogba is a much bigger deciding factor than any of this stuff.

Stacks

To be honest, I wouldn't be against him signing so long as he is focused at United and performs on the pitch. People like to be a bit romantic with this "united mentality" stuff but the reality is better teams than us have had some troublesome players and they make do and be successful.
Everyone is allowed to make mistakes and ultimately it is what you do on the pitch that will decide your success as a footballer. Our past players certainly were not Saints and I once read that Keane was raving a few days before FA cup final/semi final and assaulted someone, then Fergie had to bail him out as he was arrested!

United Pro

The de Ligt news is clearly a briefing as quite a few papers released that news at the same time - looks likely that it's our side trying to pressure Juve to either pay up for Pogba or give us a player we want and not deadwood they're trying to clear out. Hirst is definitely one of the more reliable journos - certainly not tier 3. I wouldn't judge the credibility of a journo purely from the newspaper they write for. E.g. the Mail have a few journos who have better sources from certain clubs than any other paper - even the Express has Luke Gardener who's relatively reliable and gets briefed United related news.

The Grealish comment is interesting from Hirst as it doesn't read like a throwaway comment you'd see at the end of some articles.
Can you share the article?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-juventus-defender-matthijs-de-ligt-rnr92xf0v

Haddock

While you have a point, can you really say Grealish is fit to lace any of those players boots, hypocritical as that is.
You are judging them on a full career. At Grealish's age Cantona was busy assaulting teammates and being suspended for insulting his manager on TV. At 25 he announced his grand David Bently-esque retirement (having achieved the square root of feck all) after being suspended for chucking a ball at the ref, then insulting every member of the FFF disciplinary panel who banned him for a month. He was more comparable to Nile Ranger.

Keane left Nottingham Forest when they flat bottom of the divison but he was still in the team of the year - something Grealish might well have emulated this year.

Footballers are always going to be given extraordinary leeway by clubs. Tony Adams MBE was a prolific drink driver. Years ago Schmeichel was accused of making a racial remark by Ian Wright and Fergie later told Wright that he 'never had him as a race card player'.

Football clubs will tolerate just about anything short of unforgivable criminal behavior and while a lot of posters will say "if I did that at my job.." , that simply doesn't matter because good players are gold dust. You think Chelsea will terminate Mason Mount's contract? They are at the absolute top of their profession while the caf poster is not. I'm sure plenty of morons broke the curfew this week. But only one of them can pop one in the top corner from 30 yards. So all this post 2010 moral grandstanding really counts for f--- all.

It's only when they retire and join the real world that they become as expendable as the rest of us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mail and Times talking like this is a done deal. Does he have a clause or something?
I want him. As far as I am concerned, we can never have enough ball playing technical players.
Sick of us bot being able to sustain possession in key areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.