Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Grealish has not only the technical ability but the personality to be a top Manchester United player. He plays without fear and works his socks off. We cannot rely on just 2 creative protagonists (Bruno and Pogba) and that’s assuming Pogba stays or neither player gets injured. Man City have rotated or played all of de Bruyne and the 2 silvas. We need 3 and in fact they can all play at the same time
For me grealish is born to play for United. You can’t have too many good players. I love the way grealish grabs a game by the scruff of the neck. We must get him.
He is English and he knows the premier league so he can hit the ground running....
Yeah I reckon that he was born to play for this club as well. He just looks like he has that Utd DNA about him and am certain he would get plenty of game time too.

Obviously we won't pay stupid money for him but expect us to be in for him if we can get him for around £45-50m.

Saw some Villa fans commenting that it looked like he has been going through the motions since the league came back. That sounds to me like he is ready for a new challenge in his career.

AneRu

Tough. They need to play better then to retain their place. If United want to return to the top level of English football they need competition for places and no players resting on their laurels.

You say that United need to fill other holes in the team first. Adding quality to the attack is exactly what they need. The only glaring hole is the right side of attack. You would hope they'll sign more than one player.

As for investment, they have a £190m back 4; Pogba, Bruno, Fred and Matic cost £240m. The last significant investments in attacking players (still at the club) were Martial under LVG and Mata under Moyes.
This is the crux of the matter for me, we will obviously sign more than one player but my understanding is that that one player will be Sancho and I think there is no way we will be able to pull off deals for both in this COVID market given what their respective teams will demand for them. I don't Villa will demand anything under 50m and that will make it difficult to justify paying that much for him unless if we are pulling out of the Sancho signing plus there is a risk of repeating what Mourinho did when he signed Sanchez whilst we had Rashford and Martial competing but had Mata and Lingard huffing and puffing on the right. Funds permitting we should sign him however I doubt we'd be able to do it.

Then he should not be going anywhere near City where Sterling, B.Silva and KDB are the first names on the sheet across the positions he plays.
Not sure why you brought City into it. But yeah, at 24 he would be daft to sign for anyone where he'll be a backup.

He'd be better signing for Spurs or Arsenal, then if he does well there he can move on to a big team.

Zoo

After Sherwood's comments now there are a few ITK's on both main Villa forums claiming that Grealish to United is happening.

MadMike

Not sure why you brought City into it. But yeah, at 24 he would be daft to sign for anyone where he'll be a backup.

He'd be better signing for Spurs or Arsenal, then if he does well there he can move on to a big team.
Because he's been linked with City as a Sane replacement.

And Sane himself was used in rotation with no guaranteed starting spot.

pascell

After Sherwood's comments now there are a few ITK's on both main Villa forums claiming that Grealish to United is happening.
Just had a glance on VillaTalk at the Grealish thread, couple claiming Grealish is better than Fernandez and they'll get £80m for him, then I closed the tab on my browser.

Absolutely delusional, noway anyone is paying anywhere near £80m for Grealish, just because he's English and has 'box office appeal' :lol:

romufc

Just had a glance on VillaTalk at the Grealish thread, couple claiming Grealish is better than Fernandez and they'll get £80m for him, then I closed the tab on my browser.

Absolutely delusional, noway anyone is paying anywhere near £80m for Grealish, just because he's English and has 'box office appeal' :lol:
£80m :lol: :lol:

£40m is what teams will look to pay for him. However talented he is, not a £80m player. If Villa go down, they will have to sell him, he is 24 now and I am sure he does not want to play his best years in the championship.

pascell

£80m :lol: :lol:

£40m is what teams will look to pay for him. However talented he is, not a £80m player. If Villa go down, they will have to sell him, he is 24 now and I am sure he does not want to play his best years in the championship.
Talk about overrating your own, he's a great player but £80m in this climate :lol:

I'd say £40m will be a fair price for him, especially if we added Sancho too, over midfield and attack would be brilliant.

Wan

Nope. Donny Van De Beek is clearly better but we are blinkered when it comes to English players. Clearly a British only transfer policy which is ludicrous.
Bruno Fernandes is English?
Use your freaking brain a little more.

Hawks2008

Then he should not be going anywhere near City where Sterling, B.Silva and KDB are the first names on the sheet across the positions he plays.
You could say the same about us where Pogba, Bruno, and Rashford are our first names on the team sheet in his preffered positions..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would you be happy if we only sign Sancho and Grealish in this window?
I'd be amazed if we made 2 big signings, bearing in mind the climate for one, and the fact we'll barely have much time to do it in the shorter off season.

And no I don't think we've been doing loads of work in between.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What would Tim Sherwood know about anything? Genuinely interested.

MadMike

You could say the same about us where Pogba, Bruno, and Rashford are our first names on the team sheet in his preffered positions..
You could. I think my point is Grealish based on what he's done so far will not be guaranteed a starting position in one of the top 3-4 teams in the league. Those teams either have talismanic players in those positions or are looking at players of proven high calibre like Thiago, Coutinho etc. He would have to join without a guaranteed spot, as a depth addition, and use his opportunities to outperform whoever he's competing against. His other option is to go to an Arsenal or Wolves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The "ITK" on the Villa forum said the below -I wouldn't be putting a wad of cash on it from this just yet!

(Villa ITK from their main forum)
"Two separate people in the last 24 hours have told me that Grealish to Man Utd has been agreed.

One mate told me that his mate is Petrov’s best mate and he told me last night. I know he has some sort of connection to Villa because he used to always post photos of him and Ashley Young in corporate venues.

Then this morning a separate mate told me the same thing, but his source is a guy he works with that manages some finances for a lot of the Villa Youth players.

I know all of the above sounds like a mate of a mate had a dog who had a cousin etc, so take it for what it is. I’ve been told the same thing by 2 separate people in the space of about 15 hours."

jamesjimmybyrondean

You could. I think my point is Grealish based on what he's done so far will not be guaranteed a starting position in one of the top 3-4 teams in the league. Those teams either have talismanic players in those positions or are looking at players of proven high calibre like Thiago, Coutinho etc. He would have to join without a guaranteed spot, as a depth addition, and use his opportunities to outperform whoever he's competing against. His other option is to go to an Arsenal or Wolves.
This isn't a bad thing is it? He'd be coming from a team that was relegated (if they relegate) so it's a huge step up. If he wants a place in England then he should also go to where he would play much more. He'd do well in Arsenal I think. He can be their Bruno.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Haven't really looked in this thread much but on one of our forums a few weeks ago a poster there said he'd heard at Cheltenham Grealish's Dad was there and told anyone who'd listen everything was agreed.

Given this rumour has been floating for about six months there's obviously something in it. We have 0% of keeping him getting relegated anyway.

Wondering if you'll throw any players in the deal? Tuanzebe is an obvious one given he did well for us in two loan spells and needs to go somewhere where he can play every week. Personally I'd love Daniel James given how decent he was for Swansea and we are very slow counter attacking. He isn't playing as much now all your attackers are staying fit and Grealish coming in to I presume play wide in front 3 would push him a little more down the pecking order.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Probably true. We have worked on several alternatives every year. Is Grealish our first choice?

izec

Probably true. We have worked on several alternatives every year. Is Grealish our first choice?
I think he is, for what we are looking for. He is versatile, a CM/AM/LW hybrid. We need squad depth and who knows with Pogba what will happen. The rumours were there from the start, and he fits the United and Ole profile.

E-mal

Haven't really looked in this thread much but on one of our forums a few weeks ago a poster there said he'd heard at Cheltenham Grealish's Dad was there and told anyone who'd listen everything was agreed.

Given this rumour has been floating for about six months there's obviously something in it. We have 0% of keeping him getting relegated anyway.

Wondering if you'll throw any players in the deal? Tuanzebe is an obvious one given he did well for us in two loan spells and needs to go somewhere where he can play every week. Personally I'd love Daniel James given how decent he was for Swansea and we are very slow counter attacking. He isn't playing as much now all your attackers are staying fit and Grealish coming in to I presume play wide in front 3 would push him a little more down the pecking order.
Yeah if we can work out some deals with player exchange then that will be good for both sides in this uncertain times.
I'd presume though that Tuanzebe will be on loan basis but I wonder if he will want to play in championship another season if you guys get relegated.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

You can have your pick from Jones, Pereira or Lingard.

Edit: Actually just take all 3.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You can have your pick from Jones, Pereira or Lingard.

Edit: Actually just take all 3.
No ta. We're not that stupid.....(then looks at our transfer history since 2010 and thinks we probably are!)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As exciting he is, I assume we'd only consider Grealish as an alternative to Sancho? In which case, I'm all for the latter. I can't see how we would be able to fit in both of these as well as Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Fernandes - and that's obviously neglecting the possibility of Greenwood being a shoe-in to start soon enough.

As exciting he is, I assume we'd only consider Grealish as an alternative to Sancho? In which case, I'm all for the latter. I can't see how we would be able to fit in both of these as well as Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Fernandes - and that's obviously neglecting the possibility of Greenwood being a shoe-in to start soon enough.
Not every shiny signing has to be an automatic starter. He'd be a backup to Pogba and Fernandes as well as an option at left wing if we need to rest/have injuries in any of those positions - providing he's willing to come in and play that role. You saw how big the drop off in controlling the midfield was on Tuesday night after Bruno and Pogba went off, the best teams have deep quality squads. He'd also get plenty of starts because those players just can't play every game.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's all about competition. You don't just not buy players just because you already have starters. You want several good players in each position competing. That is how the overall quality of the team increases. And your 'starters' will not manage to play every game in a season for a team that will be involved in 4 competitions.

Martial
Rashford
Greenwood
Sancho
James
Grealish

That is pretty amazing depth of quality competing for 3 positions. I know I'd rather have the above compared to the following:

Martial
Rashford
Greenwood
James
Pereira
Lingard
Mata

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Jacks dad really isn’t the type to blabber this stuff to random people.

His brother however might? They have similar names so maybe there’s some truth in it but I’d be amazed if it was his dad.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He would replace Lingard, Pereira and Mata, I would assume. Meaning he would be an option to Fernandes, Rashford and Pogba.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They don't play the same position. Grealish would probably replace Lingard/Pereira

MadMike

This isn't a bad thing is it? He'd be coming from a team that was relegated (if they relegate) so it's a huge step up. If he wants a place in England then he should also go to where he would play much more. He'd do well in Arsenal I think. He can be their Bruno.
It's not a bad thing at all, no. It's still a big step up for him. However he's neither on Bruno's level nor is Arsenal a Bruno away from tying it all together. They lack quality in many positions and that's about to get worse if they lose Auba. If he goes to there he'll get more games but he won't be chasing honours any time soon nor make as much money as being a squad player at City or United. So I guess it depends on what he values more.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Talk about overrating your own, he's a great player but £80m in this climate :lol:

I'd say £40m will be a fair price for him, especially if we added Sancho too, over midfield and attack would be brilliant.
Bayern just bought Sane 50m, with 1 year left in contract, doesn't need by City, and just back from a long-term injury. So why 40m is a fair price for Grealish? The opening bid will be 60m.

manutddjw

This would be a good signing for us. We have a very good starting 11 and we need to start adding quality of depth. Here’s a good example. Tomorrow we play Bournemouth who are a poor team. I wouldn’t be so confident if I woke up and saw Lingard and Pereira starting.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's not a bad thing at all, no. It's still a big step up for him. However he's neither on Bruno's level nor is Arsenal a Bruno away from tying it all together. They lack quality in many positions and that's about to get worse if they lose Auba. If he goes to there he'll get more games but he won't be chasing honours any time soon nor make as much money as being a squad player at City or United. So I guess it depends on what he values more.
Yeah pretty much. I do think our reputation and wage offer can draw him. Would be nice seeing a player of his quality on our bench. Or taking off Bruno for Grealish.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In the last 10 years we've replaced James Milner with Stephen Ireland, Ashley Young with N'zogbia, Benteke with Rudy Gestede and Tammy Abraham with Wesley.

Probably why I'm not that bothered what transfer fee we get for Grealish.80m and we probably would sign someone like Dominic Solanke for 30m.

Think it will be similar to when you signed Young anyway. People doubted he'd be a regular at Man. United but Fergie played him regularly then he dipped out of the team for a year or two before really coming back in favour in Van Gaal's last season and same under Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.