Jack Grealish

UpWithRivers

Is there any reputable source out there hinting at what his release clause might be? Has been suggested in numerous places there is one and it was increased when he signed his new deal.

Also he's developed in to a fantastic player but I do wonder where he would fit in at United?

• LW - Rashford here + it arguably might still be Martial's best position too.
  • RW - would be pretty wasted out here, also probably wouldn't provide the width Utd need out here as AWB isn't good enough going forward to do so either.
  • MF 3 - with Bruno as well this would be too attack-minded, especially without a pure DM at the moment which Fred isn't really.
The only way I can see this working is if we play Rashford, Grealish, Martial but they are all interchangeable. So even though the team sheet shows Rashford for example as RW he would spend as much time on the left or even the center and same with Grealish. Also he would be a good option to play at 10 and give Bruno a rest. I cant see VDB being that good as a 10.

Haddock

The most fun thing of all when watching Grealish is how opponents treat him in this all-action pressing age, they're not sure what to actually do. You barrel into him, you sell yourself and he skips past you; you stand off, he slowly advances towards you encroaching on the space you're hesitant to take up; he goes for a pressing run and you see players tracking him being unsure whether to go for it with all they have or try and time their stab-tackles whilst not over-committing or unbalancing themselves.

What he shows is that the skill is timeless and effective in any era. All those 'walking footballers' would be just as effective now as they were in their own day because it's never just a case of fitness or athleticism; skill of that sort buys time and creates a stream of doubt in the mind of defenders who don't know what the best option between sticking and twisting is. Further still, if they get done just a couple of times in a half, they're already conditioned to not have it happen again.
Mate, haven't you heard? He's an overrated ball hog who can't hack it at a big club.

But seriously, barrelling into him isn't all that effective either. He's built like an ox himself so any defender that clatters him is taking a beating himself. I'm amazed by the maturity in his passing. He almost always picks the right time to play a five yard pass or a through ball and uses that overlapping runner - El Ghazi or Targett so well.

simplyared

I think he means dribbling, otherwise the post is way off, by a number of players.
Not only his dribbling as I don't see him so much as a dribbler, more the way he goes past players as if he just brushes them aside. He possesses skills I haven't seen in a British player since the days of Paul Gasgoigne. Maybe I'm a bit early placing him above Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham etc. However going on entertainment value alone I'd have him above any of those players.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Mate, haven't you heard? He's an overrated ball hog who can't hack it at a big club.

But seriously, barrelling into him isn't all that effective either. He's built like an ox himself so any defender that clatters him is taking a beating himself. I'm amazed by the maturity in his passing. He almost always picks the right time to play a five yard pass or a through ball and uses that overlapping runner - El Ghazi or Targett so well.
Certainly has it in his locker, and does seem to relish the physical aspect of the game if it so happens to be there. It's just funny to me how far removed a player like that can make modern tactics as opposing players instinctively know over-zealously committing in a rabid pack is a bad idea, and with his reputation now preceding him, are playing with caution in their approach to him now where previously, they wanted to see what he was about and whether he could be put off his game.

His passing and ability to pick out his mark has been showcased this season. I think it's fair to say he warrants the majority of the hype he's getting. I know for myself, he's a highly entertaining player to watch and he would be sure to put bums on seats wherever he went.

It's a shame for the Villa fans that during what looks like his ascendancy, they can't go and watch him in capacity stadiums as full return may well coincide with him being on his way to a new club.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not only his dribbling as I don't see him so much as a dribbler, more the way he goes past players as if he just brushes them aside. He possesses skills I haven't seen in a British player since the days of Paul Gasgoigne. Maybe I'm a bit early placing him above Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham etc. However going on entertainment value alone I'd have him above any of those players.
Running with the ball and in consistency in those actions, sure. But you have a number of outstanding players in other aspects that Grealish is not going to get near in terms of what they themselves excelled at, which is no slight on him as, just as with ball carriage, you're moving into very specific territory. For example, never in his life will Grealish be able to pass a ball like Scholes or Beckham, or explode into world class actions like Rooney or Gerrard, but yes, for running with the ball, he's comfortably in the conversation as next in line to succeed Gascoigne if he keeps this level of play up.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Certainly has it in his locker, and does seem to relish the physical aspect of the game if it so happens to be there. It's just funny to me how far removed a player like that can make modern tactics as opposing players instinctively know over-zealously committing in a rabid pack is a bad idea, and with his reputation now preceding him, are playing with caution in their approach to him now where previously, they wanted to see what he was about and whether he could be put off his game.

His passing and ability to pick out his mark has been showcased this season. I think it's fair to say he warrants the majority of the hype he's getting. I know for myself, he's a highly entertaining player to watch and he would be sure to put bums on seats wherever he went.

It's a shame for the Villa fans that during what looks like his ascendancy, they can't go and watch him in capacity stadiums as full return may well coincide with him being on his way to a new club.
If he learns to just pull the trigger when he gets the chance a la Ronaldo I actually think he'll be world class. A world class player at Aston Villa. :lol:

Lentwood

Wasn’t his best game yesterday but he is a fantastic player. Love the swagger, love the arrogance, love the desire to keep getting on the ball, love the way he gets booted all over the pitch but keeps getting up.

This (for those who have forgotten) is what a “Utd mentality” looks like!

I genuinely think he would make the “13” (because few teams have a fixed XI now) in any team in the world

MetoTTT

I really like him. Excellent player (technique, vision), working hard, leadership and great attitude on the pitch. He has a lot in his game. My only question is where he'll slot in the team, will cost a lot. So he is mainly playing as AM on the left (not a traditional winger) kind of creative player/playmaker on the wing. We have a lot of players who could play on the left (Rashford, Martial). So who gonna go to the right if we sign him or be benched? Grealish, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood? Personally I would prefer him to Sancho but can we really get the best of our players...I don't know.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Undoubtedly class player but off the pitch issues and the fact we could get a cheaper younger alternative in Aouar (who would arguably suit our needs more) means the shop has sailed

dal

I don’t think we desperately need him but agree he is class and would only add another dimension to our depth.

I think the only way he plays would be off the left side unless we rotate him with Bruno.

I’ve not seen him play off the right side as you suggest in some of those lineups although I haven’t seen all his games.

When discussing our attacking options I think an elite Striker is of more importance but would still love to add Grealish for depth and in this form he would play his way into the side no doubt.
SAF brought players if they were too good to pass regardless of squad balance.

I believe however we have squad Balance, Rashford and Greenwood can play on the left and so can Diallo. We do not have a problem off the left I believe the problem still is creativity and Grealish solves this as well as having world class cover in Bruno’s absence.

This squad and first 11 requires cover for Bruno over anything else without him we are toothless. Ole knows this hence why he wanted both Sancho and Grealish, he needed creativity.

The way we play, the quick transitions, the counter attack, this type of player is key.

We have Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, they all came to life with the addition of Bruno.

Yes, if Grealish was a right sided player it would be infinitely better however the creativity we add with the sure-thing which is Grealish more than compensates for the risk of buying in a right sided player who I’m sure would now be a non-premier league player.

I actually believe we fix our problem of attacking with grealish rather than a right sided attacker.

Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Grealish, Bruno, Diallo, Cavani.

Ole would make it work and we would be absolutely scintillating.

sillwuka

One thing i do love about Grealish is you know he won't be phased by a 'big move'

He's been in the spotlight since he broke through and it's only made him stronger. He would excel at this club and it would make our team even more hated which i'm all for.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would take Grealish over Sancho, if he can operate on the right that is. Sancho is more "explosive" and can beat 4 players with a run, but Grealish is more physical, has a strong mentality and seems to look more polished. I think we already have Rashford as the explosive type, so Grealish would be a good option on the other flank.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Is there any reputable source out there hinting at what his release clause might be? Has been suggested in numerous places there is one and it was increased when he signed his new deal.

Also he's developed in to a fantastic player but I do wonder where he would fit in at United?

• LW - Rashford here + it arguably might still be Martial's best position too.
  • RW - would be pretty wasted out here, also probably wouldn't provide the width Utd need out here as AWB isn't good enough going forward to do so either.
  • MF 3 - with Bruno as well this would be too attack-minded, especially without a pure DM at the moment which Fred isn't really.
This is the problem. We get in Grealish and all it does is give us issues. He's the right player, but at the wrong time. The last thing we really need is a LW option unless we decide to sell one of Martial/Rashford.

RooneyLegend

As I said, get him in the side and figure the rest out later. This is like when Barnes played for Watford. He's the best player in the league playing with ineptitude all around him. Throw him some quality and he'll have opposition fans reeling. Just get him in.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
As I said, get him in the side and figure the rest out later. This is like when Barnes played for Watford. He's the best player in the league playing with ineptitude all around him. Throw him some quality and he'll have opposition fans reeling. Just get him in.
Best player in the league is a bit of a stretch. Top 10 maybe.

RedDevilzFox

Seems Jack will be this year's Sancho.

We need a 'Carrick' like signing and maybe even a long term 35 goals/year striker first.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
:lol: that is not good maths. Maybe he is a bit flavour of the month at the mo but at least he’s earned it, James Rodriguez had a bit of that before fading back into irrelevance.
I was referring to Hazard, and it’s a reasonable enough equation to refer to him as a forward.

Hazard is a brilliant player, I just personally have very high expectations of him and I feel he has a mental obstacle in that he prefers the artistry of the game more than anything else. He’s still great though.

Grealish is also a great player, but he also seems to relish being kicked too much, and the narrative seems to indulge it a lot too, constantly going on about how he gets fouled. I think there’s a small element of forgetting that the aim of the game is not to be fouled is all. I think it started from the football commentators, but also in my observation, Grealish has bought into it a bit too.

As for James, he’s been injured has he not?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems to me that you enjoy the attention you get from being controvertial.

Grealish is, in my opinion, the best progressive player in the PL. He is perhaps not the most progressive player. I’m sure their are a central defender or right back who moves the ball more yards than him in a progressive direction. But Grealish moves the ball into a dangerous space. No other attacker in the PL comes close to moving the ball as progressively as Grealish. He is also the ball player with most touches in the PL in the penalty box. This is factual and undisputable. You might understand the implication of it or you might not.

Only two players have completed more passes in the penalty box, Trent and KdB. He is also the player with most shots creating actions and shots creating passes per 90 min by a great distance. Only Bruno and KdB have made more goal creating actions (marginally), obviously benefiting from playing with better players. Yes, he has done this at Aston Villa.

To claim that he keeps the ball just to keep it is just ignorant. He is, along with Bruno and KdB, the most productive player in the league.
Ooh sorry, my apologies. Just copy and paste the consensus for me from now on.

And Grealish didn’t just start playing football, or earning plaudits, this season. Last season the only stat he was topping was the amount of times he’s fouled. It was constantly being used as some sort of praise for him, as if it is to be celebrated.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do people think he could play central midfield alongside Bruno and an athletic DM? That’s the only way we sign him I think and I’m not sure it would suit him.
Nope. Hes a left winger or a #10. The way he dribbles and moves and passes is like Hazard. He's an attacker, not a central midfielder. Bruno Fernandes is a #10 as well, one of the best in the world or could also be a half 8/ half 10 in the right system like KdB under Pep. Grealish and Bruno together would need an all time great holding midfielder behind them though to make it work.

Kaos

Seems Jack will be this year's Sancho.

We need a 'Carrick' like signing and maybe even a long term 35 goals/year striker first.
Yep, the prices quoted do concern me considering we still have gaping issues across the pitch that need rectifying first, namely in defence, defensive midfield, the right wing and perhaps up front if we aren't hoping to rely on 34 year old Cavani, or Rashford/Martial rolling the dice with their finishing game in and game out. We can't patch over any of those issues by shoehorning Grealish into the side, no matter how good he is.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Last season the only stat he was topping was the amount of times he’s fouled. It was constantly being used as some sort of praise for him, as if it is to be celebrated.
He was among the three best in the league on the same metrics I mentioned last season too;

- Progression with the ball and with a high degree of touched in the final third and penalty box,

- Numbers of completed passes in the penalty box,

- Shot creating actions and passes,

A player who hold on to the ball just for the sake off it would not produce great numbers in the PL on these areas. Other players who do are KdB, TAA and Bruno. Grealish did so for a poor team, and produce even better numbers as the level of his team mates has improved.

And to be clear, I have no problem with people trying to be contrarian. In fact, it is often a good thing. But sometimes people come across as contrarian due to the attention they get from it, and then it is often less well founded.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was among the three best in the league on the same metrics I mentioned last season too;

- Progression with the ball and with a high degree of touched in the final third and penalty box,

- Numbers of completed passes in the penalty box,

- Shot creating actions and passes,

A player who hold on to the ball just for the sake off it would not produce great numbers in the PL on these areas. Other players who do are KdB, TAA and Bruno. Grealish did so for a poor team, and produce even better numbers as the level of his team mates has improved.

And to be clear, I have no problem with people trying to be contrarian. In fact, it is often a good thing. But sometimes people come across as contrarian due to the attention they get from it, and then it is often less well founded.
And how, in your wisdom and qualification, do you discern who is being ‘contrarian for the attention they get from it’?

This isn’t fecking high school, what the feck do I care for shock value on Redcafe.

NYAS

Nope. Hes a left winger or a #10. The way he dribbles and moves and passes is like Hazard. He's an attacker, not a central midfielder. Bruno Fernandes is a #10 as well, one of the best in the world or could also be a half 8/ half 10 in the right system like KdB under Pep. Grealish and Bruno together would need an all time great holding midfielder behind them though to make it work.
I get your point, but Fernandinho was hardly an all-time great DM and he worked behind KDB and Silva. I know the style of play was different and it was Pep etc., but I don’t think it’s that far-fetched. The absolute crucial thing in that case would be finding that pacey CB (Konate/Axel) to allow us to play a higher line so that we’re not expecting Grealish to defend right outside his own box.

Gordon S

If we look at it positionwise, it doesn`t make a lot of sense since our options there are not too bad.
But if we just look at quality, and ability to play well week in week out, regardless of players around him and regardless of opposition, we are starving. Only really Bruno plays to a good level week in week out. Maybe Maguire belongs in that category as well?
I can`t remember the last time i watched Grealish and felt that he is just overhyped garbage. He is constantly among the best players on the pitch whenever he plays.

gazbradley

Huge fan of jack but feel the time to buy him was last summer when he actually seemed gettable for a decent fee. Unless there’s some agreement between him and villa just don’t see us signing him this summer for a realistic price

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I can`t remember the last time i watched Grealish and felt that he is just overhyped garbage. He is constantly among the best players on the pitch whenever he plays.
Same with me, I just don't know how player would react if Ole suddenly sends him on the right wing in hopes he can do same he did on the left and middle.

For a good price still the most obvious deal we could make in the summer, but feels like that right wing must be finally sorted someday.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
What a wonderful, wonderful player to watch. What a beautiful technique to watch.. Definitely one of my favourites to watch..

To be honest.. I really actually hope he will remain to stay at Villa and become a major star there (like Vardy at Leicester for example) in stead of becoming a rotation player at one of the bigger sides (like Mahrez).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
And how, in your wisdom and qualification, do you discern who is being ‘contrarian for the attention they get from it’?

This isn’t fecking high school, what the feck do I care for shock value on Redcafe.
I know! That is why it is so surprising!

But why would anyone claim that Grealish holds on to the ball just for the sake of it or to be flashy, when it is so far from the truth?

(And that is how I would discern it, someone making a postulate that is very controvertial and obviously wrong.)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know! That is why it is so surprising!

But why would anyone claim that Grealish holds on to the ball just for the sake of it or to be flashy, when it is so far from the truth?

(And that is how I would discern it, someone making a postulate that is very controvertial and obviously wrong.)
I watch Grealish play often enough. He gets the ball often, with players snapping around him, and it often doesn’t seem to hurry him, it’s like ‘challenge accepted’ almost, which results in a free kick. Bruno Fernandes, as an example, has a totally different approach to the game, and also creates plenty.

Southgate himself came out this season and said that while there was a clamour for Grealish last season, he did not feel he was putting up good enough numbers.

In any case, from the first post, my view was backed with reason and had no sensationalism about it, so I don’t know where you would get ‘attention seeking’ from, especially when a number of others have responded with an understanding of my same point, and we have discussed from there.

If I wanted a reaction on the Caf I’d say something nice about Paul Pogba or something.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Same with me, I just don't know how player would react if Ole suddenly sends him on the right wing in hopes he can do same he did on the left and middle.

For a good price still the most obvious deal we could make in the summer, but feels like that right wing must be finally sorted someday.
If we were to sign him he'd still be that Bruno/Pogba alternative

As good as he is for Villa I just don't see why any of our fans would want to swap our statistically more productive players (Rashford on the left, Bruno in the 10) for him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I get your point, but Fernandinho was hardly an all-time great DM and he worked behind KDB and Silva. I know the style of play was different and it was Pep etc., but I don’t think it’s that far-fetched. The absolute crucial thing in that case would be finding that pacey CB (Konate/Axel) to allow us to play a higher line so that we’re not expecting Grealish to defend right outside his own box.
Think its important to note that it was Pep coaching it, while also David Silva and De Bruyne are much better in possession than either Grealish or Bruno (maybe similar stylistically but probably both a cut above in overall quality, not to discredit Bruno or Grealish at all). And Fernandinho that year was fantastic and they've struggled to replace his impact.

It's just very unlikely, just like playing Pogba there hasn't really worked (and he is more of a central midfielder than Grealish is).

El Jefe

No player in the league consistently gets it done like he does.
Gets what done exactly? The overrating of Grealish is incredible.

I mean Salah and KDB have been 'getting it done' since Grealish was in the Championship.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I watch Grealish play often enough. He gets the ball often, with players snapping around him, and it often doesn’t seem to hurry him, it’s like ‘challenge accepted’ almost, which results in a free kick. Bruno Fernandes, as an example, has a totally different approach to the game, and also creates plenty.
Grealish creates a similar amount of shots and goals as Bruno.

- Grealish has an xA of 5,4 this season. That is exactly the same number as Bruno.

- Grealish has completed 40 passes in the penalty box this year. Bruno 36. (Only KdB, 44, has completed more.)

- Grealish has completed 70 «shots creating passes» according to Statsbomb. KdB at 51 and Bruno at 50 are the two in the PL that comes close.

- Grealish has completed 10 «goal creating passes». Same as Bruno. One more than KdB.

And he does it for a way worse team and losing the ball less.

Is it negative that he is good at not losing the ball? He obviously create a lot!

I get that it is frustrating with players who keeps the ball just for the sake of it. Especially if they are showboating, not producing anything. But Grealish produced more than basically every player in the PL. Maybe with exception of Bruno and KdB. Maybe not. The fact that he is press resistant too is great!

I’m not sure what you mean when you say that you back it up with reason. Your reason looks to be at odds with numbers.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Jack is a beast and I’d love to have him in the squad, but we need a 9 (unless we believe Martial will become one) and we need a DM first.

We’re creating chances but missing too many glorious chances. See Rashford v Leicester and Martial v Leeds, although we did score 6 on Leeds. Even just slightly improving on our conversion rate would make a world of difference in our points tally.

Then there’s the defending problem, but it’s clear as day that apart from Matic we don’t have a reliable DM. Some B2B midfielders and some attacking midfielders, but no one with youthful legs who can shield the back line. See the Barnes goal from last weekend.

If we do ship out Pogba in January I’d like to see Donny given a proper chance, but bringing Jack in would give us a new dimension on the left that’s missing at times with Rashford, who could move to the right.

I’d live to see a deal for Grealish happen, but surely it must be contingent on Pogba leaving.