Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondFig

I really hope Grealish isn't a fallback for Sancho. The gulf in class between the two is massive. But as a super sub at 50? Sure, but only if we've address the DM situation first.
I don't think so - Grealish plays on the left or centrally, Sancho is a right-winger. They're very different players and play in completely different positions. Plus, the most recent stories have us wanting a no.10 and CB in addition to Sancho

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why are people so convinced we need a number 10 more than players in some other positions? We have to fill at least 3-5 other positions before we bring replacement for number ten position.

Hackman2210

Great attitude and very tenacious - fits the mould ole is looking for. As for the fee £40 - £50m sounds about right. Let’s get him.

croadyman

Great attitude and very tenacious - fits the mould ole is looking for. As for the fee £40 - £50m sounds about right. Let’s get him.
Would need add ons or another instalment to get it nearer what Villa would accept

Dante

Average bang
Villa would be significantly weaker if they could only buy £50m worth of replacements. They don't need to sell either, so that amount would be a lose-lose for them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why are people so convinced we need a number 10 more than players in some other positions? We have to fill at least 3-5 other positions before we bring replacement for number ten position.
We don't need a #10 per se. We need quality options for the attack, and that is best provided by one or two players coming in who can play multiple positions. Hence Grealish who can easily play left wing and #10, and perhaps to a lesser extent right wing and central midfield. In a perfect world we bring in both Sancho and Grealish and we then have six quality players to rotate through four positions, keeping everybody fresh and hungry (and in theory would sort out our entire attack for 6-8 years to come).

sherrinford

We don't need a #10 per se. We need quality options for the attack, and that is best provided by one or two players coming in who can play multiple positions. Hence Grealish who can easily play left wing and #10, and perhaps to a lesser extent right wing and central midfield. In a perfect world we bring in both Sancho and Grealish and we then have six quality players to rotate through four positions, keeping everybody fresh and hungry (and in theory would sort out our entire attack for 6-8 years to come).
Even then, the pool of attacking players wouldn't offer enough variety for it to be a perfect scenario. We need more penetrative movement from our attacking players as things stand, and both Sancho and Grealish like and excel taking the ball into feet. We could do with someone who stretches the play more.

MadDogg

Even then, the pool of attacking players wouldn't offer enough variety for it to be a perfect scenario. We need more penetrative movement from our attacking players as things stand, and both Sancho and Grealish like and excel taking the ball into feet. We could do with someone who stretches the play more.
I actually feel we need options who can help the midfield more, rather than strikers and inside forwards. Something both Sancho and Grealish will do more than our current options.

croadyman

I actually feel we need options who can help the midfield more, rather than strikers and inside forwards. Something both Sancho and Grealish will do more than our current options.
Yeah would have been amazing to get both of them but at this point we will do well to just get Sancho

starman

Sancho is a worldclass talent, he worths what he worths because of the player he is. if he was italian, chinesse or african wouldnt make a difference.

With Grealish we all know is not the same case, there are better players than him for that price. He has the "english tax" the same one we paid when we bought Maguire and the one we would have to pay if we wanted Maddison, Chilwell, Rice, etc any above average english is priced as top of the notch. There's a reason why the top clubs in the world dont have english footballers, its not lack of talent its simply theyre on the vast majority overpriced.
PL coupled with English tax I think the point you are trying to make..

lex talionis

I don't think so - Grealish plays on the left or centrally, Sancho is a right-winger. They're very different players and play in completely different positions. Plus, the most recent stories have us wanting a no.10 and CB in addition to Sancho
I'm not on the Grealish bandwagon but he's definitely someone we could use to fill several gaps when they arise. But there's no question that Sancho and Grealish are very different players. What I question is whether Grealish would be satisfied being a squad players for us rather than a regular starter. And should Pogba leave us in a year or two, perhaps Grealish could step in to take his place.

CG1010

Problem with that last bit is that every time needs to refresh in max of 3-4 years to keep the desire in the team. After a point, accumulating 6 players for 4 positions in the same age group doesn't really help much for the long-run. But would certainly help now as they both will add a lot to the team so I would say go for it!

MadDogg

Problem with that last bit is that every time needs to refresh in max of 3-4 years to keep the desire in the team. After a point, accumulating 6 players for 4 positions in the same age group doesn't really help much for the long-run. But would certainly help now as they both will add a lot to the team so I would say go for it!
Yeah, that's why I said in theory. It's doubtful it would actually work out like that for such an extended period of time, as either one or two of them would want to move on or somebody else would come through that we want to make room for. But we'd then be coming into it from a position of strength. Like what City have now with Sane. He want's to leave? That sucks, but it's not a huge deal. You get good money and they've got enough strong options they can now take some risks with his replacement instead of spending huge money on a big name.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We let Herrera go and are willing to pay a lot of money for Grealish? That makes zero sense.

That said, I wouldn't want Grealish at United, even if he was free. He seems like irresponsible brat. A club captain that is dumb or brazen enough to break government COVID guidance for a party is not what we need. Small things.

onemanarmy

We let Herrera go and are willing to pay a lot of money for Grealish? That makes zero sense.

That said, I wouldn't want Grealish at United, even if he was free. He seems like irresponsible brat. A club captain that is dumb or brazen enough to break government COVID guidance for a party is not what we need. Small things.
Two completely different players. Herrera turns 31, he's only 24. Grealish would do a lot better than Herrera has ever done for us imo.

Mainoldo

Our club is not an institution for morality. So get a grip.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Our club is not an institution for morality. So get a grip.
Our club, or any team for that matter which wants to be high-performing, needs people who have brains and sense of responsibility. You may need to do some soul-searching, however, if you don't understand why what Grealish did (as a club captain at that) is a problem. A bunch of irresponsible idiots who can kick a ball slightly better than average (he is no Messi) has never made a title-winning club.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our club, or any team for that matter which wants to be high-performing, needs people who have brains and sense of responsibility. You may need to do some soul-searching, however, if you don't understand why what Grealish did (as a club captain at that) is a problem. A bunch of irresponsible idiots who can kick a ball slightly better than average (he is no Messi) has never made a title-winning club.
So you don't want Sancho too then? He also broke the rule for not wearing mask when he had his haircut and German Football League fined him, he didn't admit wrong.

'Absolute joke' - Sancho slams DFL after Borussia Dortmund star fined for breaking coronavirus lockdown to get a haircut

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I say the same, but I have to concede too that there's a lack of top talent available in CB/LB/holding midfield. Grealish is a star and can play multiple positions, it's probably wise to act even if we aren't desperate. He can take the spot of Lingard/Pereira/Mata in one and be less on wages.

Mainoldo

Ryan Giggs slept with his brother wife. There are plenty more examples. But maybe you need to soul search.

lsd

The Oracle
I hope we are already working on this transfer and not just standing around debating who we will go for

EwanI Ted

Id be happy with Grealish. Not to replace Sancho, who is the priority, but certainly I think he'd fit in well in our squad. I think the key thing is that he'd be a bench player who could also realistically challenge for the first team, not just a guy to give your first team a rest. Assuming he plays on the left or in the middle, I think he's nicely different from Rashford and Bruno (who he'd replace I assume). That would give us a more options for changing a game when needed.

croadyman

Id be happy with Grealish. Not to replace Sancho, who is the priority, but certainly I think he'd fit in well in our squad. I think the key thing is that he'd be a bench player who could also realistically challenge for the first team, not just a guy to give your first team a rest. Assuming he plays on the left or in the middle, I think he's nicely different from Rashford and Bruno (who he'd replace I assume). That would give us a more options for changing a game when needed.
Yeah I honestly think he would relish challenging for a place in this team

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope we are already working on this transfer and not just standing around debating who we will go for
Yeh. Hopefully the price is right, and we'll get him. One of those "too good to pass up" player, even though we don't really have an immediate need for him.

croadyman

Yeh. Hopefully the price is right, and we'll get him. One of those "too good to pass up" player, even though we don't really have an immediate need for him.
Yeah my thoughts exactly but what is the right price for the fans may well not be the right price for the club if Sancho saga is anything to go by

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I know that such deals never happen, but could it not be interesting for Villa to trade Grealish for 5-6 players from our selling list? I mean we make a lot of jokes about players like Lingard, Jones, Pereira etc. but those plus maybe others like Fred, Bailly, Mata etc. should be a spine of a team not fighting for relegation.
Probably a very naive way to look at it from me.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I know that such deals never happen, but could it not be interesting for Villa to trade Grealish for 5-6 players from our selling list? I mean we make a lot of jokes about players like Lingard, Jones, Pereira etc. but those plus maybe others like Fred, Bailly, Mata etc. should be a spine of a team not fighting for relegation.
I could see this happen and it doesn't have to be straight swap. United can give them pole position in contract talks while us having green light in talking to Grealish.

Jack's the only player who reached 10 goals for Villa this season, Trezeguet and Wesley - two strikers with 6 goals each... chances are even Lingard could outscore them if in decent form.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
1- Why would they want to take our players when they can get much better value for the money somewhere else?

2- why do you think these players would be okay in fighting relegation?

It may happen in fifa .

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I very much doubt we gave up on Grealish because we couldn't afford him and Sancho. I would imagine even if we did move on from Sancho 80m for Grealish would still be looked at as far too much for him

red thru&thru

1- Why would they want to take our players when they can get much better value for the money somewhere else?

2- why do you think these players would be okay in fighting relegation?

It may happen in fifa .
They did say it maybe naive of them to think this way, no need to jump down their throat. Haha.

But this window more than any will involve swap deals. Agree that a lot of our players may not want to play at Villa but these players will have a choice to make. Sit in the stands or pay at Villa. Because as it stands, not many teams will be handing over hard cash to bring players in.

croadyman

I very much doubt we gave up on Grealish because we couldn't afford him and Sancho. I would imagine even if we did move on from Sancho 80m for Grealish would still be looked at as far too much for him
Yeah Cooper made a very similar point to that when he was on the United stand today

Rolaholic

You could actually buy Partey + Thiago for the rumored valuation Villa have put on him since staying up :lol:

I wouldn't be mad if we signed him as he'd be a solid squad option, better than anything we have in reserve at his positons at least, but I'd be mad if we spent anything north of 50m

croadyman

You could actually buy Partey + Thiago for the rumored valuation Villa have put on him since staying up :lol:

I wouldn't be mad if we signed him as he'd be a solid squad option, better than anything we have in reserve at his positons at least, but I'd be mad if we spent anything north of 50m
Agree with Partey but sadly Thiago has his heart set on Liverpool which makes me feel proper sick inside.

Scholsey2004

I'll stick my neck out and say the kid Stefanovic we've just signed, who's a right footed left winger, is coming (after a season on loan at Partizan Belgrade) instead of Jack Grealish. If we're as determined to sign Sancho as it sounds then I don't see where the kind of money Villa want for Grealish comes from after any Sancho fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.