Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Laurie Whitwell (The Athletic) has said Grealish is "Ole's number one target".

We've been put off Maddison because we believe he's soon gonna sign a big contract extension.

Grealish is keen to come this Summer, thinking now is the right team to leave Villa and take the step up in his career.

Whether Villa are relegated or not won't affect the decision to move, but may affect the price (they could demand up to 80m if they stay up)

Oh, and Villa need to sell for FFP.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont think he would at all. Sir Alex seemed to move away from the individual talent and focused on consistency. Klopp seems to be from that same mould as well.
Yeah I dont think Sir Alex ever went for a player of Grealish's style. Hes a dribbler to hold on to the ball and break the lines, not really a passer. Definitely never went for someone like him in midfield. And in either of Ole's or Pochettino's play styles I dont see where he starts with Rashford on the left, Bruno as the most advanced mid, Fred as the #6 and McTominay as box to box. The only real place where he'd fit would be for Bruno or Rashford... and he isnt better than them IMO.
We'll see though.

Also on the flipside to this, we're desperate for depth. Whether that's as a challenger to Bruno or Fred. Getting Grealish means we'll be starting 2 out of him, Bruno and Fred in 2 of the 3 midfield positions, which is very good depth (McTominay/Matic the other midfielder which is needed). Or in situations where Rashford gets injured we put Grealish on the left. Full squad fit then I'd guess one is on the bench, which is still needed to change the game or just rotate during the game/provide something a little different.

They might see him as the perfect player for that role, which I dont disagree with. Also now is the time where hes leaving so might as well get him then. Priority would still be a right winger like Sancho though for me. And if we were ruthless enough a better attacking left back, but with Shaw and Williams there we wont touch that position. feck it yeah I've convinced myself, sign him up. If not we'll still be overly reliant on 1 player for creativity in midfield, and fecked if hes injured.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending

We've been put off Maddison because we believe he's soon gonna sign a big contract extension.

Grealish is keen to come this Summer, thinking now is the right team to leave Villa and take the step up in his career.

Whether Villa are relegated or not won't affect the decision to move, but may affect the price (they could demand up to 80m if they stay up)

This is the news I came here for

Lynty

I'd love him here. Similar to Hazard in that he forces things to happen when he gets the ball. I only watched the first half against Spurs, but he was a on different level to everyone else on the pitch.

Saying that. I have no idea where he'd play. Midfield possibly, but that would require a change in formation as we've rarely (if ever played 4-3-3) and changing Fred/McTom style of play to a more traditional holding midfielder. Or it may be a sign that the Martial project is over and Rashford will be moved central next season.

---------------------Rashford---------------------

Grealish-------Fernandes-------Sancho

----------------Fred--------McTom--------------

RedNed77

I don't think we'll try to sign Grealish and Maddison now we've signed Bruno. I'm not even sure we could accommodate both of them in the side with our existing personnel. I think we'll try to get which ever one of them we can to play at CAM. Unless we think one or the other could play on the right, which seems a stretch.

---------Rashford------------Sancho-------------
--------------------Maddison-------------------------
------Grealish-----------------Fernandes--------
-------------------------Fred-----------------------------
---Williams----Maguire----Bailly----AWB---
-------------------------DdG-----------------------------

S: Henderson, Shaw, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Greenwood, Ighalo/Dembele

Squad Players: Romero, Jones, Matic, James, Mejbri, Pereira, Ighalo/Dembele, Mata,

It could work. Whilst theres no stand out enforcer apart from maybe Fred, all 4 in the midfield are fairly industrious and will put a shift in. Theres a bit of a lack of wingers and our fullbacks aren't the best at providing width and crosses, but i feel that is something that could be worked on on the coaching side. Maddison maybe as a false 9 with the front two pulling wide and runs in from Fernandes and Grealish?

The bench options suddenly look better and allow you to switch that formation into anything from a 3412 to a straight 442 as well.

Hanky panky

I'd love him here. Similar to Hazard in that he forces things to happen when he gets the ball. I only watched the first half against Spurs, but he was a on different level to everyone else on the pitch.

Saying that. I have no idea where he'd play. Midfield possibly, but that would require a change in formation as we've rarely (if ever played 4-3-3) and changing Fred/McTom style of play to a more traditional holding midfielder. Or it may be a sign that the Martial project is over and Rashford will be moved central next season.

---------------------Rashford---------------------

Grealish-------Fernandes-------Sancho

----------------Fred--------McTom--------------
I like this but i would like to see some world class player in either Fred or McTominay position. They are ok players but are we going to challenge the best teams with Fred AND McTominay? I dont think so. But dont ask me who could be available. I just know Fred + Tom is not enough.

Lynty

I like this but i would like to see some world class player in either Fred or McTominay position. They are ok players but are we going to challenge the best teams with Fred AND McTominay? I dont think so. But dont ask me who could be available. I just know Fred + Tom is not enough.
Ye someone like Neves as well would be dreamland, but realistically...

Sancho and Grealish would be an amazing summer and might cost somewhere in the region of £190m, we'd only likely get a prospect on top (Bellingham for example)

Hanky panky

If we sell Pogba, like i think we will. I can think we actually could buy Sancho, Grealish and high rated midfielder. 70+120+70-100=160M. Maybe unlikely but not impossible.

sherrinford

Its consistency of output. Jack will have some great games when the play goes through him but theres times he becomes a passanger, hes doing nothing wrong but the team suffers for it.
Its why the likes of Veron, Kagawa suffered here or why he played Rooney ouy of the centre in big games and flat out wanted to sell him at one point.
Plus we never signed midfilders anyway!
His output has been consistent, and the only game I’ve seen him in where I would describe him as a passenger was against Man City which was like watching a training exercise.

Rooney?? The only reason he got moved out of a central position in big games was to accommodate Ronaldo.

reddevilchennai

If we sign Grealish and Sancho in the summer you can consider us back in business as a regular top 4 team again. Throw a striker or Maddison in there as well and we'll be in very good shape.
What is the need for Grealish and Maddison. We need either of them.
We need CDM before buying 2 CMs.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm still concerned that Villa will price us out of this. All this talk about Grealish being an 80m player is madness. Same with Maddison. They are not at that level yet and United wont pay it for either of them.

sherrinford

---------Rashford------------Sancho-------------
--------------------Maddison-------------------------
------Grealish-----------------Fernandes--------
-------------------------Fred-----------------------------
---Williams----Maguire----Bailly----AWB---
-------------------------DdG-----------------------------

S: Henderson, Shaw, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Greenwood, Ighalo/Dembele

Squad Players: Romero, Jones, Matic, James, Mejbri, Pereira, Ighalo/Dembele, Mata,

It could work. Whilst theres no stand out enforcer apart from maybe Fred, all 4 in the midfield are fairly industrious and will put a shift in. Theres a bit of a lack of wingers and our fullbacks aren't the best at providing width and crosses, but i feel that is something that could be worked on on the coaching side. Maddison maybe as a false 9 with the front two pulling wide and runs in from Fernandes and Grealish?

The bench options suddenly look better and allow you to switch that formation into anything from a 3412 to a straight 442 as well.
Why not just go:

_____________Rashford____________
Grealish___________________Sancho
_______Maddison__Fernandes_____
_______________.Fred______________

Member 39557

I'm still concerned that Villa will price us out of this. All this talk about Grealish being an 80m player is madness. Same with Maddison. They are not at that level yet and United wont pay it for either of them.
If Villa go down, it'll be nowhere near 80 million.

We paid 80 million for maguire, I know he has international experience etc but you'd still say we paid well over the odds. If you want the player, you'll pay the money!

wolvored

People need to move on from what fergie would do and look to the now. Would Grealish improve this team, absolutely. He can play cm and hes playing from the left as villa havent anyone of quality to play there. Get a proper dm in and with Grealish and Bruno as the cm pairing, both can pass dribble, get into the box, score goals etc we would have a proper top midfield again. One could be replaced to give a rest every now and then by mctom and fred

laughtersassassin

What is the need for Grealish and Sancho. We need either of them.
You buy Grealish for Multiple positions and to create.

Sancho for mainly RW to create.

And a DM to replace Pogba as Pogba's creativity will have been replaced by Sancho, Grealish and Bruno.

Then look at a spare striker.

That builds a very decent team and not crazy money considering Sancho will be bought for only a bit over Pogba money.

If it's doable it's a must.

romufc

And a DM to replace Pogba as Pogba's creativity will have been replaced by Sancho, Grealish and Bruno.

That builds a very decent team and not crazy money considering Sancho will be bought for only a bit over Pogba money.

This is 100% doable. If we can get our act together, we can have a great summer. But we have to remember we have Ed in charge.

If Ighalo scores 8/10 goals, I wouln't mind keeping him for 2 years letting Greendwood develop.

RedNed77

Why not just go:

That would work for me too, I'm just of the opinion that we should be going for Grealish, Sancho and Maddison. Even if they dont play every game, we could do with some strength in depth as we have very little at the moment.

Raw

Definitely doable but I have doubts that we'll pull it off. Part of me thinks we won't bother with a DM, and Sancho heavily depends on CL football.

Sancho for about £120m. Grealish for £60m. DM for £40m. Backup striker £20m at most.

That's £240m right there. Sales of Pogba, Smalling, Rojo, Sanchez, Lingard, Matic and others I could be forgetting could bring that down to £100m.

Lynty

What is the need for Grealish and Sancho. We need either of them.
Nothing suggests we are looking at defensive midfielders, and judging the way Ole has set us up since taking over, it's clear he insists on a double pivot. I just can't see that suddenly changing.

If I had to put money on our summer transfer business, i'd say it will be:

In:
Sancho
Grealish
Bellingham
Ighalo

Out:
Pogba
Smalling
Lingard
Henderson

laughtersassassin

Definitely doable but I have doubts that we'll pull it off. Part of me thinks we won't bother with a DM, and Sancho heavily depends on CL football.

Sancho for about £120m. Grealish for £60m. DM for £40m. Backup striker £20m at most.

That's £240m right there. Sales of Pogba, Smalling, Rojo, Sanchez, Lingard, Matic and others I could be forgetting could bring that down to £100m.
To me the only part the club have an excuse for is if Sancho won't join as non CL club. Im which case either spend bigger on a striker or buy our second choice RW whoever that may be.

Otherwise no excuses. We need a huge summer with Pogba leaving

Nori-

I feel like I'd prefer Grealish over Maddison.

He is doing equally as well in a poorer team. Seems more of a fighter too, something which we've lacked sometimes.

Could be a bit cheaper too.

AneRu

Its a tough ask for our negotiating team which takes the best part of a month to sell or buy a single player and part of the reason is our lackadaisical approach to transfer business. There are clubs that are willing to sell their players and be reasonable enough to do it like we saw with Ajax and Ziyech to Chelsea, we should be testing the waters for such deals for some of our targets e.g we could tap up Grealish and see whether a deal can be done or not. Also, depending on how Ighalo does between now and the rest of the season then one could say that we already have the back up striker sorted whilst for the DM, taking into account of what we already have in Fred/McTominay (i.e harriers in midfield) I think we need a younger version of Kroos who could help make our play more fluid and help build up play. In terms of importance I would say Sancho, Grealish and DM then see about making Ighalo's stay permanent.

LVGSdive

Nothing suggests we are looking at defensive midfielders, and judging the way Ole has set us up since taking over, it's clear he insists on a double pivot. I just can't see that suddenly changing.

If I had to put money on our summer transfer business, i'd say it will be:

In:
Sancho
Grealish
Bellingham
Ighalo

Out:
Pogba
Smalling
Lingard
Henderson
You would lose that money.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seeing Fernandes' peformance last night which was quite good, I don't see any reason why he can't operate deeper if needed or why he and Grealish can't work together in a three especially at home. I think we need a midfield two technically class acts. Bruno looks sound and is known to make an impact in the final third. Grealish has that magic on the ball. I think we should go for him and work on Mctominay, Grealish, Fred, Fernandes and NEW DM/CM being our new look central midfield. Don't think there's that many midfielders with Grealish's technical ability who are available.

Grealish and Sancho (#1) should be the priorities this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Good. I like Maddison as well but his price won't fit the ability of the player. And I feel Grealish is more naturally talented and can potentially (if he works hard and has the right mentality) reach a proper top class level whereas Maddison may always remain one notch below.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seeing Fernandes' peformance last night which was quite good, I don't see any reason why he can't operate deeper if needed or why he and Grealish can't work together in a three especially at home. I think we need a midfield two technically class acts. Bruno looks sound and is known to make an impact in the final third. Grealish has that magic on the ball. I think we should go for him and work on Mctominay, Grealish, Fred, Fernandes and NEW DM/CM being our new look central midfield. Don't think there's that many midfielders with Grealish's technical ability who are available.

Grealish and Sancho (#1) should be the priorities this summer.
Couldn't agree more with this, sums up my thoughts exactly. Although I am in the camp of being happy with either Grealish or Maddison, can see why so many would prefer Grealish as he's so techniclly sound and especially good in thight spaces. Having a quality DLP/DM would really complete our midfield and keeps it looking very healthy.

reddevilchennai

It was my mistake. I was suppose to type either of Maddison and Grealish.

The poster was asking to buy Sancho and Grealish. And if possible Maddison and a striker.

I was saying there is no need to buy both Grealish and Maddison. We need a CDM more than buying 2 CMs.

CM/AM - Grealish/Maddison and we already have Bruno

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
No reason to go for both Grealish and Maddison, not at least in the same window. I have actually changed my mind and I prefer Grealish to Maddison.

I don’t think we will go for a striker at all. We have Martial, Greenwood and I can see us making the Ighalo deal permanent. Rashford can play up top too, but I would prefer if we kept him on the right.

A dm is actually a must either. We have Fred and McTominay, and we will most likely extend Matic contract.

Play a midfield trio against ”lesser sides” like: Grealish Fred Bruno

And against better teams: McTominay Fred Bruno

I’ve also changed my mind about Pogba, I think he is going and we will get about 100 mil for him.

Out:
Pogba - 100
Lingard - 15
Sanchez - Free
Smalling - 20
Rojo - 5
Romero - 10

In:
Sancho - 120
Grealish - 60
Bellingham - 25 (loan back)
Ighalo - 10

Net: 75 million pounds.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Maddison is very similar to Fernandes. I don't see the point in having two dead ball specialists competing for 1 place, given the cost. Grealish is different enough to Fernandes to make sense. He can play in multiple positions and can carry the ball forward at pace, something United lack.

AneRu

No reason to go for both Grealish and Maddison, not at least in the same window. I have actually changed my mind and I prefer Grealish to Maddison.

I don’t think we will go for a striker at all. We have Martial, Greenwood and I can see us making the Ighalo deal permanent. Rashford can play up top too, but I would prefer if we kept him on the right.

A dm is actually a must either. We have Fred and McTominay, and we will most likely extend Matic contract.

I’ve also changed my mind about Pogba, I think he is going and we will get about 100 mil for him.

Out:
Pogba - 100
Lingard - 15
Sanchez - Free
Smalling - 20
Rojo - 5
Romero - 10

In:
Sancho - 120
Grealish - 60
Ighalo - 10

I still think we are missing a trick with Henderson, we still have De Gea playing at a high standard for a couple of years at least so why not sell Henderson with a buyback clause and use the funds to strengthen the team. I think we could do well with a DM in the Carrick mould who builds up play from deep and can cut through the lines and a proper attacking left back. We should also call time on Jones and Rojo's United careers and get whatever money we can get.

Lynty

Out:
Pogba - 100
Lingard - 15
Sanchez - Free
Smalling - 20
Rojo - 5
Romero - 10

In:
Sancho - 120
Grealish - 60
Ighalo - 10

My thoughts also

But I can't see Henderson wanting to sit on the bench, we'd look silly benching De Gea given his wages. And I can't see any way we can possibly get rid of Sanchez, even on a free.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Good to know this.

I'm not sure we need him in CM when we already have Fred who has proven to be a great CM for us this season.

Our priority should be a deep-lying / defensive midfielder that will offer us a better balance to our midfield.

The rest of our budget should be spent on a RW and striker.

But of course if resource allows I would love to add Grealish to our squad but only if we miss out on our primary targets
Depending on how Bruno adjusts, and if Ole plans to use him as an 8 or 10 in the long run, I think Grealish would be a great addition to our central midfield. He offers something completely different to our other CMs, and it's always nice to have different options. His press resistance and ability to carry the ball forwards, beating his man at will, would be so nice to have. Whenever he plays defence splitting passes, the way he passes and the perfect weight he gets on each pass reminds me of prime D.Silva, too.

As much as I'd love him here, I'd probably agree that, with us having signed Bruno now, a DM and RW are the more urgent signings. I'd still take Grealish over a CF, though, as I'm okay with Martial. Honestly, I wouldn't be too bothered with us prioritising Grealish anyway - he's that good!

amolbhatia50k

Couldn't agree more with this, sums up my thoughts exactly. Although I am in the camp of being happy with either Grealish or Maddison, can see why so many would prefer Grealish as he's so techniclly sound and especially good in thight spaces. Having a quality DLP/DM would really complete our midfield and keeps it looking very healthy.
I do like Maddison but he's more of a specialist AM for me. A final third difference maker. He doesn't really on paper add that much new in addition to Fernandes (who I need to learn about myself). Grealish to me looks like that midfielder teams cant get close to. Don't think Fernandes has that sort of technical ability with the ball at feet. He'd improve our possession play which I'd exactly what we need and something Maddison and Fernandes don't and can't offer. Sort of like our own Iniesta/Silva type player.

orjeve

Why not just go:

Because it's been proven again and again that rashford is at his best cutting in from the left or in a 2 man front and not as a lone man.

Status
Not open for further replies.