Jacob Ramsey

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He really is I think. Potential is massive. He has size, grace, can dribble and has vision. He doesn’t play with the same intensity as Ramsay, I find him more of a technician. I saw some of him at youth level as his name has been ringing out for a little while. Was bossing it at that level and was younger than the rest.

As much as I’d like us to snap him up for free this summer, I’m also confident that he’d be better served staying at Villa for a couple of seasons - just as all teenagers are who have not yet built a solid portfolio. This isn’t the place for kids now who haven’t built a first team reputation. Very unlikely Ramsey would be the player he is today if we grabbed him a couple of years ago.
Huddlestone Mk II
mark my words

Irrational.

For a young man, he took his goals exceptionally well and looks a real leader on the pitch. We have to be at least in for him in the summer.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Said last month, Carney is the one. Ramsey is special too of course, but I think Chukwuemeka is out of contract this summer and would be another Bellingham situation if we didn’t get in on it. Dead cert to be a top player.
I think he's the bigger "talent" so to speak, but he still has a ways to go before he reaches Ramsey's level of application. Granted, he has 2 years to get there! He plays very similar to Pogba in that he has exquisite technique and vision, but needs to operate further up the field. He isn't a legit box to box like Ramsey is.

He's at a similar stage in development to where Ramsey was last season. Couple of cameos and starts here and there where he holds his own, nothing special yet. A good preseason, and hitting the weights now that he knows what the physicality of men's football is like, and I reckon we'll see him blossom just like Ramsey has this season. Excellent work in bringing through the young players by our coaching staff (past and present, Dean Smith deserves a lot of credit too).

captaincantona

Hard to see any transfer from villa with Gerard there. This could would be good though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I really like that’s he from fighting stock. We need some guts and guile to go with all the money being fired around. This guy would be Fergie’s Ince or Keane. Pity we can’t just rock up and sign these lads anymore. Asking price would be silly surely.

phelans shorts

Been keeping an eye on him since we played Villa in September. He's got the lot. It won't be long until he's talked about in the same breath as Bellingham I don't think.
I mean, he is three years older than Bellingham, so he’d have to improve at a rate way beyond Bellingham for that to be the case. He’s clearly very good, and not a player to be sniffed at, but he’s significantly older than the competition you name.

For comparison sake, at the same age as Bellingham was a regular for Dortmund, Ramsey was making 1 Championship appearance for Villa and getting loaned out to Doncaster.

pascell

Ah okay. I mean do you think he wouldn’t fancy coming to United?
Money talks nowadays but it depends on if he's buying into Gerrard and what he's trying to achieve, I can see Ramsey staying at Villa 2 more seasons after this one. I can also see him seeing if Gerrard ends up at Liveprool, could see him move there before then too and he'd be a good Gundogan replacement for City.

TheReligion

Abusive
Money talks nowadays but it depends on if he's buying into Gerrard and what he's trying to achieve, I can see Ramsey staying at Villa 2 more seasons after this one. I can also see him seeing if Gerrard ends up at Liveprool, could see him move there before then too and he'd be a good Gundogan replacement for City.
So you think the only thing that would attract him to play at United is money?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I mean, he is three years older than Bellingham, so he’d have to improve at a rate way beyond Bellingham for that to be the case. He’s clearly very good, and not a player to be sniffed at, but he’s significantly older than the competition you name.

For comparison sake, at the same age as Bellingham was a regular for Dortmund, Ramsey was making 1 Championship appearance for Villa and getting loaned out to Doncaster.
2 years older.

Football isn't linear like that though. Bellingham may never become top level whereas Ramsey might. They're both young in general terms. I think Bellingham has just had a lot of exposure since a young age which has boosted his profile, whereas Ramsey has snuck under the radar. A lot of great players weren't the ones touted for big things in their early years and vice versa. Not saying Bellingham will drop off, but he wouldn't be the first to look good at this age then not quite hit the heights come the prime years of his career.

A bit like Bruno Vs Pogba.

Deery

Dreary

2 years older, hardly a massive difference in 18 and 20.

phelans shorts

2 years older.

Football isn't linear like that though. Bellingham may never become top level whereas Ramsey might. They're both young in general terms. I think Bellingham has just had a lot of exposure since a young age which has boosted his profile, whereas Ramsey has snuck under the radar. A lot of great players weren't the ones touted for big things in their early years and vice versa. Not saying Bellingham will drop off, but he wouldn't be the first to look good at this age then not quite how the heights on reflection of his career.
Oh absolutely it’s not impossible, it’s just highly improbably. I do like the look of Ramsey a lot too, but I don’t see him getting much further than the level Bellingham is at now (if he makes it that far even, which isn’t a knock, it’s a very high level). Whereas Bellingham is entering prime years for massive leaps.
2 years older, hardly a massive difference in 18 and 20.
I mean, it’s 3 years. By seasons end Ramsey is 21 and Bellingham is still 18.

Also 18 to 20 is a massive gap in football terms, it’s some of the key years in development not just in football but in general life. It’s not 28 to 30 where it makes little to no difference.

Deery

Dreary
Oh absolutely it’s not impossible, it’s just highly improbably. I do like the look of Ramsey a lot too, but I don’t see him getting much further than the level Bellingham is at now (if he makes it that far even, which isn’t a knock, it’s a very high level). Whereas Bellingham is entering prime years for massive leaps.

I mean, it’s 3 years. By seasons end Ramsey is 21 and Bellingham is still 18.

Also 18 to 20 is a massive gap in football terms, it’s some of the key years in development not just in football but in general life. It’s not 28 to 30 where it makes little to no difference.
By a month, why does the Caf always do this with number and figures?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Didn't think it'd take long for everyone else to cotton on to his talent, @FootballHQ @Winzaghi . It was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he's the bigger "talent" so to speak, but he still has a ways to go before he reaches Ramsey's level of application. Granted, he has 2 years to get there! He plays very similar to Pogba in that he has exquisite technique and vision, but needs to operate further up the field. He isn't a legit box to box like Ramsey is.

He's at a similar stage in development to where Ramsey was last season. Couple of cameos and starts here and there where he holds his own, nothing special yet. A good preseason, and hitting the weights now that he knows what the physicality of men's football is like, and I reckon we'll see him blossom just like Ramsey has this season. Excellent work in bringing through the young players by our coaching staff (past and present, Dean Smith deserves a lot of credit too).
He’s similar to Pogba I agree in that the margins are fine, but if things fall into place - then he’ll be better than Ramsey I think. Similarly the way Pogba had such an extreme skillset, when he joined us at 23 the potential maximum ceiling could have been in the argument for the best midfielder of all time. With the rare combination of physical strength, outrageous dribbling, shooting, two footedness, passing and goalscoring - he could have been anything, but it required a lot of perfect conditions.

I feel that with what Ramsey has, he is more likely to become a good player. If you can run around a bit that alone carries you a fair way in the PL. we have a pair of midfielders who have that as their greatest strength. He can compete physically in terms of intensity and can force his way into more games. With Carney, it could go horribly wrong, he’d need the right coach at the right time, right teammates but if he has the right conditions I am certain he will surpass Ramsey. But Ramsey will succeed in more settings.

philipos

He really caught my eye in the cup match without me knowing who he was. I was surprised when I found out who he was that I’d never heard of him. Since then he’s looked very impressive.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
He’s similar to Pogba I agree in that the margins are fine, but if things fall into place - then he’ll be better than Ramsey I think. Similarly the way Pogba had such an extreme skillset, when he joined us at 23 the potential maximum ceiling could have been in the argument for the best midfielder of all time. With the rare combination of physical strength, outrageous dribbling, shooting, two footedness, passing and goalscoring - he could have been anything, but it required a lot of perfect conditions.

I feel that with what Ramsey has, he is more likely to become a good player. If you can run around a bit that alone carries you a fair way in the PL. we have a pair of midfielders who have that as their greatest strength. He can compete physically in terms of intensity and can force his way into more games. With Carney, it could go horribly wrong, he’d need the right coach at the right time, right teammates but if he has the right conditions I am certain he will surpass Ramsey. But Ramsey will succeed in more settings.
Agreed 100%. Ramsey will be a good PL midfielder for years to come simply because he seems to have the physical traits. If you thought it was hard to stop him barreling through the midfield at 20, imagine him at 25. That engine and his baseline excellent technique should be enough to last him.

Carney is the more precocious talent, that with the right coaching and circumstances can go right to the very top, to quote 'Arry Redknap.

flameinthesun

we should go after this guy this summer if we can get him for less than 50-60mil, as well as Carney on a free. Would bolster the midfield with 2 talented english players. Add in Nkunku for 30-40mil, a good DM not called rice for less than 50 mil. That would pretty much solve the midfield issue. Add in hannibal and garner as well.

GledTheRed

we should go after this guy this summer if we can get him for less than 50-60mil, as well as Carney on a free. Would bolster the midfield with 2 talented english players. Add in Nkunku for 30-40mil, a good DM not called rice for less than 50 mil. That would pretty much solve the midfield issue. Add in hannibal and garner as well.
Tom Cairney?