Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

:lol:

always cute to see Manchester United fans acting as if we’re still an European of even domestic force. We need as many talented players as possible and I can assure you Sancho will not be struggling for suitors
If any of these "suitors" were genuine, they would be offering up what Dortmund was asking for already. As you said, it's not like United are the biggest fish around anymore so Sancho could easily get his wages elsewhere.

The fact of the matter remains no one is willing to pay what Dortmund want for Sancho so this thought that clubs will be lining up for Sancho at those prices is simply a fantasy.

Harold_Giles

Lets just keep pissing money way then, while Liverpool and City make players wind down their contracts and pick them up for 40-50m. That will get us back to the top in no time paying double the price for players :houllier:.

While we are at it lets put in a bid for 150m for Kane. That would be super cute. :)
What players are you talking about?

snk123

Sancho over Grealish is why we haven't gotten to the top since Fergie?
Give your head a wobble.
It's funny you got that from what I wrote. We went for Owen instead of Tevez, Valencia instead of others. Didn't pay 7m more to Hazard's agent and so on.

We're saving 30-40m on Sancho and that is similar and why we will not be the top team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's funny you got that from what I wrote. We went for Owen instead of Tevez, Valencia instead of others. Didn't pay 7m more to Hazard's agent and so on.

We're saving 30-40m on Sancho and that is similar and why we will not be the top team.
You're talking like Sancho is a mid level player from a mid tier club. This is a guy who has become one of the best players in the world in his position at the age of 21.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

We didn’t “go for Owen over Tevez”. Tevez, his agent and Man City screwed us over.

Siorac

He wasn’t the English talisman of a wealthy EPL team. Grealish in 2009 would have cost £30m+
Sure, he'd be a lot more expensive. But it was odd to hold up signing Valencia as a contrast to signing Grealish.

bsCallout

That's stupidity though isn't it? When we have a player ready made for us - proven in the PL - maybe a little expensive but isn't it worth it in the long run? The players also urged Ole to sign Grealish but he's preferring Sancho. These decisions is why we have never reached the top post Fergie. And it started happening in Fergie's time when we didn't renew Tevez's contract and went for Valencia and Owen instead of proven players (like RVP later on)
:lol:

Judas

Open to offers
Whats the big muppet transfer when this one is done? Or is this not really a big muppet transfer now that so many have gone off him? To the Grealish thread to be disappointed?

flappyjay

That’s kicking the can. Loan Amad for a year and then what? Say he’s ready in a year, what happens then?
What happens is exactly what happens at city, rotate without a huge fall in quality.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whats the big muppet transfer when this one is done? Or is this not really a big muppet transfer now that so many have gone off him? To the Grealish thread to be disappointed?
I can’t see us getting another attacker after Sancho, if we have any muppet CB/CDM targets then they’ll be the threads to take up residence in.

rotherham_red

It'll be the striker signing, though personally I think the DM is the most important.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He will, I trust Ole to manage this aspect carefully.
The problem is Ole doesn't like to make subs so if he's on the bench he won't be getting the necessary cardio.

This approach works with a skinny lad like Amad who needs to bulk up but Jadon is currently at an optimal weight.

This'll be Ole's first real test.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's more the Bernardo Silva type of winger than Sadio Mané or Rashford. One twos, changes of direction, lots of short passes and body feints instead of bursting past the defender. Rather drops back to receive the ball and initiate attacks than making runs in behind. Many actions on the ball, likes to let it circulate etc. Leaves providing width to the full back. Very good at opening up small passing lanes and playing through them but rather recycles possession than risks losing the ball through a long shot or early key pass. Good but nothing special in isolated one on ones on the wing but excellent at beating multiple players through close control and feints in tight spaces. Good pace bht also nothing special, maybe an 8/10. Stylewise a typical Barca player if that makes sense. Very close to Neymar overall but less direct I'd say.

Thanks that;s a really good summary!

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Really hope we get this one over the line before the Euros.

I’m always a bit sceptical when we sign a young player and people say “that’s our defence/midfield/attack sorted for the next 5-10 years” as things can change very quickly in football as players don’t always develop as you anticipate or may not stay at the club as long as you had hoped. However, in this case, the prospect of having Rashford 23, Greenwood 19 and Sancho 21 all at our club would be as close to a guarantee as you could get. All young. All English. Rashford and Greenwood both academy graduates and therefore hopefully would stay loyal. Sancho not from the academy but has already sampled playing abroad so would hopefully stay for his best years. All 3 bring something a bit different and could be effective together as a front 3. Of course we would need to have alternatives in the squad with different attributes such as a more orthodox number 9 but we know there is always a good market for some high quality short-term options that we could dip into (Zlatan, Cavani, Aguero etc) to keep the attack fresh.

For those discussing Sancho’s level and whether he’s good enough... what matters is that he’s another quality player to add to our arsenal. He may not come in and be our best player or have the impact that Bruno had but he’s another player that will come in and contribute goals and assists. There have been plenty of occasions throughout the season when we have been short of attacking options - the Europa final being the most obvious one - but also periods earlier in the season where Greenwood was struggling for form and Cavani was often unavailable. Having Sancho would mean we could hopefully avoid any of these lean spells.

Also, bear in mind we scored >120 goals last season despite our problems. So the prospect of having Sancho, who has always managed to be productive despite being a young player, and also hopefully a full season of the Greenwood and Cavani we saw in the 2nd half of last season, it’s all very exciting. We will have a formidable attack and at 21 Sancho still has room for improvement.
That's a bit of a balanced post, are you in the right thread ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No I don’t get your point
If a footballer is always going to shoot when it is not the right option then he is either depriving a teammate of a better opportunity or he is turning over possession and putting his team under pressure.....either one, he should not be on the football pitch.
Not every footballers are gift to have vision to be aware or able to see that there is player in better position to pass. This is common in football.

Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Cavani instinct are to shoot, they often choose to shoot more than pass/cross. The opposite with Sancho and Bruno, they have the talent with their vision. They know how to find players and pick a pass, if they can't find the player to pass then they know it's better to hold the ball or keep possession or shoot or dribble.

TsuWave

Lets just keep pissing money way then, while Liverpool and City make players wind down their contracts and pick them up for 40-50m. That will get us back to the top in no time paying double the price for players :houllier:.

While we are at it lets put in a bid for 150m for Kane. That would be super cute. :)
Sancho is one of the most productive attacking players in the world. One of the best in his position and he's 21 years of age. You're not picking up Sancho for 40-50M and buying him hardly qualifies as "pissing money away" when you're operating with an injured player, and/or Daniel James. I don't know about back to the top, but I know that with the likes of Sancho on the books we're less likely to be losing a bunch of semi-finals and/or finals to Villareal, and considering a trophy-less season and finishing 12 points off of the league leaders a "good" season.

Funny you mention Chelsea. The same guys that dropped +70M on Havertz.

Kaos

Remember that summer where we signed Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves near the beginning of the window and unveiled them all at once? We then had a really good pre-season and just so happened to win the league and CL double in that season. Go figure.

Seems a far cry away from our circus antics in recent years with Woodward dragging on transfer sagas literally over the course of years while seemingly being unable to multitask with sealing other deals.

Unfortunately I fully expect this deal to drag out over the summer, and wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea or Pool come in and nab him under our noses, meanwhile our rivals also beat us to our over transfer targets.

snk123

We didn’t “go for Owen over Tevez”. Tevez, his agent and Man City screwed us over.
We said he wasn't worth 30m. He so clearly was. We were looking for "value" in the market - which basically meant we weren't spending as much as we should have.

theklr

Interesting viewpoint on the RW/LW debate.

We will have to hope AWB and Sancho gets some chemistry and AWB keeps on improving in the offensive play..

At least it would be a stable relationship , since AWB has had both Rashford and Greenwood alternating there, which doesnt exactly always help

Could fit well with Trippier though!

TsuWave

If any of these "suitors" were genuine, they would be offering up what Dortmund was asking for already. As you said, it's not like United are the biggest fish around anymore so Sancho could easily get his wages elsewhere.

The fact of the matter remains no one is willing to pay what Dortmund want for Sancho so this thought that clubs will be lining up for Sancho at those prices is simply a fantasy.
I made no remark on whatever people think it's a fair price. Merely replied to a post that had the ridiculous notion/assertion that we should be picking up Sancho for 40-50M.

The whole thing about us being the closest to bag him is because not many clubs have our financial muscle. At 40-50M he becomes the most sought out player in the world, and no Manchester United allure will be enough.

Villa just dropped a reported +35M on Buendia, by the way.

CM

We will have to hope AWB and Sancho gets some chemistry and AWB keeps on improving in the offensive play..

At least it would be a stable relationship , since AWB has had both Rashford and Greenwood alternating there, which doesnt exactly always help

I think this is probably part of the reason why we're looking at Trippier. I'm sure he'd do fine with Wan-Bissaka too but it gives us plenty of options.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well all the games for England around the time of the transfer last summer window, coupled with his performances at the beginning of this Bundesliga season.

To be honest the one or two games you listed where he scored or assisted sound like his only decent outings for England.

You make if sound like he’s been electric for England. I’m not saying he’s been awful, just huffed and puffed in what I’ve seen.

Listen last summer I was one of the top posters in his transfer thread desperate for us to sign him :lol: Since then my opinion of him has just dipped somewhat, I naively had the lad on a pedestal though, must admit.
Fair enough, I'm just intrigued to know which games. I haven't insinuated he's electric for England at all, just that he's certainly not disappointing (up until yesterday of course). I think it's a bit over the top to glaze over his brief England career like that when he's had some very good showings for us.

rotherham_red

I think with Wan-Bissaka, you've seen what he can do when there is a live presence there (i.e. when Rashford was on the right). He does have a good and incisive short passing game, it's just that he doesn't look like he has it, if you get what I mean. The more they play together, the better the partnership will be.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think this is probably part of the reason why we're looking at Trippier. I'm sure he'd do fine with Wan-Bissaka too but it gives us plenty of options.
Also because teams give Wan Bissaka acres of space as they know he won't do much with it... and because Wan Bissaka has no depth or competition so he can't even be at his best without that push/rest when he needs it.

pascell

His partnership with Hakimi was brilliant, Hakimi would overlap a lot which afforded Sancho room to roam into.

Hakimi himself contributed a lot going forward too, he was a good outlet for Dortmund, someone who I think they've missed this season massively.

Sancho works best with full/wing back who overlap, taking a defender away from him so he can square up the remaining defender 1vs1. That's where I feel AWB, Shaw and Trippier (if we sign him) would help us get the best out of Sancho. I actually think AWB would be the best defender for Sancho to partner with, we know AWB isn't great going forward but offering an overlap and just sticking to his defensive duties will free up Sancho to work his magic.

CM

Also because teams give Wan Bissaka acres of space as they know he won't do much with it... and because Wan Bissaka has no depth or competition so he can't even be at his best without that push/rest when he needs it.
Of course. Part of the reason, those things are just as important.

Kaos

I actually think our best approach would be playing Sancho on the left (where I'd imagine he'd link up well with Shaw) and having Greenwood on the right, with maybe Diallo rotating with him as our orthodox right winger.

Its Rashford I consider to be the remaining weak link should Sancho come in.

BULB

Sancho is one of the most productive attacking players in the world. One of the best in his position and he's 21 years of age. You're not picking up Sancho for 40-50M and buying him hardly qualifies as "pissing money away" when you're operating with an injured player, and/or Daniel James. I don't know about back to the top, but I know that with the likes of Sancho on the books we're less likely to be losing a bunch of semi-finals and/or finals to Villareal, and considering a trophy-less season and finishing 12 points off of the league leaders a "good" season.

Funny you mention Chelsea. The same guys that dropped +70M on Havertz.
Show me where I mentioned Chelsea?

Next summer he will be 40-50m (which is the price he would be now if he didn't extend his contract). No one is going to pay 80m with one year left.

As far as Villareal goes, we all know why we lost and it has nothing to do with the calibre of our squad.

cyberman

I actually think our best approach would be playing Sancho on the left (where I'd imagine he'd link up well with Shaw) and having Greenwood on the right, with maybe Diallo rotating with him as our orthodox right winger.

Its Rashford I consider to be the remaining weak link should Sancho come in.
Then whats the point? Wouldn't we be better off with a top class DM or striker than upgrading Rashford and buying another left winger?

Kaos

Then whats the point? Wouldn't we be better off with a top class DM or striker than upgrading Rashford and buying another left winger?
Arguably yes, or a CB, which I've always considered our priorities this window.

Having Sancho in the team does give us an added creative flair in our attack though, and he still serves as a much needed upgrade over Rashford. It might hopefully start coercing Ole to actually make some subs too considering we're adding a bit more quality in our squad.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

While it is true that linking up with the full backs is very important for Sancho, I think the post misses the fact that his role on the left isn't just "mirroring" the role he played when Hakimi was still there. Hakimi didn't play as a full back, he played as a wing back in a 3-4-2-1 formation. Sancho played centrally back then as a right sided 10. Similarly to Reece James and Havertz in the recent CL final. This season Terzic plays him as a LW in a 4-3-3 formation. But it's important to surround Sancho with good movement, that much is true. He's not one to go into physical duels/one on ones with defenders. His dribbles utilize the runs of his team mates - he's very good at finding and utilizing space with body feints, short passing and great close control but not so good at beating defenders by pace and physique.

I think when you watch him play regularly on both the left and the right, you will also come to the conclusion that he's much better on the left. He just has much more options and is much harder to dispossess when he has the ball on the strong foot while cutting inside. And he always cuts inside.

bsCallout

Remember that summer where we signed Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves near the beginning of the window and unveiled them all at once? We then had a really good pre-season and just so happened to win the league and CL double in that season. Go figure.

Seems a far cry away from our circus antics in recent years with Woodward dragging on transfer sagas literally over the course of years while seemingly being unable to multitask with sealing other deals.

Unfortunately I fully expect this deal to drag out over the summer, and wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea or Pool come in and nab him under our noses, meanwhile our rivals also beat us to our over transfer targets.
The window isn't even open yet and it's the Euros.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Show me where I mentioned Chelsea?

Next summer he will be 40-50m (which is the price he would be now if he didn't extend his contract). No one is going to pay 80m with one year left.

As far as Villareal goes, we all know why we lost and it has nothing to do with the calibre of our squad.
Chelsea paid Dortmund 60M for Pulisic with only half a year left on his contract. Madrid paid Chelsea 140M for Hazard with only one year on his contract. With audiences back in the stadiums, prices will also rice until next year. They'll easily get 80M € for him if not 100M €. According to reports even the Havertz fee is now guaranteed to rise to 95M € with additional 5M € bounded to very likely conditions. 95M € is an absolute bargain for Sancho. Dortmund will be very, very happy if nobody buys him this season. Every Dortmund fan I spoke to is hoping that United doesn't pay the fee negotiated in the gentlemen's agreement.

Kaos

The window isn't even open yet and it's the Euros.
I know that, I just don't expect the club to act decisively early on when it does open and fully expect Woodward and his cabal of clowns to drag this on over the course of the summer again, as has always been the case post David Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.