Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

Leicester spend big money every summer and never get top 4. Lets stop with the over the top recruitment praise
I got shouted down at a couple of months back for telling someone on here that the recruitment from Leicester isn't that great, simply because they struggle to improve their league position with these 'brilliant' purchases.

If they were helping them win the league and CL then I'd hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong but they're not and they've bottled top 4 in the past two seasons on the last day.

RkkMan

I wouldn't have, I don't have that kind of money.

Its not like the club didn't know he would cost £108m? why pursue something if you cannot afford it?

I am not going to a Lamorghini dealership to negotiate a price if I cannot afford the car?

So instead we ended up paying £80m, makes alot of sense that? If you look at City, they didn't want to pay £80m for him so they didn't pretend they are in or him all summer, agree personal terms, they just moved on and signed £60m Dias the summer after.

That is the context.
This I fully agree with. I've said a lot of times the mistake we made last year wasn't not signing Sancho for that huge fee but not walking away earlier to pursue other targets. That we should have definitely done. That wasn't what made me reply to you though criticizing the club for refusing to pay exorbitant fees players aren't worth at all is what made me question you.
And if you're going to praise City again then at least mention that refusing to pay for KOULIBALY is what made them move on to Dias not Maguire who they missed out on a year ago. Otherwise you should be bashing them too for taking a whole year to switch to a plan B :lol: :lol:

romufc

In fairness Leicester are signing young players who are not on international duty typically so that makes things easier. I do expect the Sancho deal to get over the line fairly quickly after the last 16 and the inevitable England exit. We might have to wait til after the final for Varane though.

The thing is I wouldn't mind us not even going for Varane if the price is over £50m, we should be looking at other CB that could compliment Maguire.

Its obvious if Sancho gets done, most of our budget will be used up and we need a CDM too.

Gandalf

The thing is I wouldn't mind us not even going for Varane if the price is over £50m, we should be looking at other CB that could compliment Maguire.

Its obvious if Sancho gets done, most of our budget will be used up and we need a CDM too.
You may get your wish, the current gossip indicates that having been quoted 80m we have told Madrid to jog on and are now pushing hard to get Torres instead but negotiating to get him for less than his 65m release clause. Spain are actually in danger of going out tomorrow so that could move fast.

Oldyella

I got shouted down at a couple of months back for telling someone on here that the recruitment from Leicester isn't that great, simply because they struggle to improve their league position with these 'brilliant' purchases.

If they were helping them win the league and CL then I'd hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong but they're not and they've bottled top 4 in the past two seasons on the last day.
It's not brilliant but they are pretty good with their recruitment imo. They have generally stayed kind of competitive against some financial powerhouse teams.

We shouldn't be comparing ourselves to them though, we are shopping in a very different market. We are looking at potential signings that would be more than their annual budget, you can guarantee if they were spending those figures they would face similar issues.

UTD_Since_1978

Teams playing 4-4-2. Proper wingers. Defenders who could defend and head it as their key roles.
Two strikers.
Midfielders who did a bit of everything before this holding mid nonsense started.
Full backs who could defend as their first job.

Yeah, exactly & what's with this playing out from the back nonsense??? Just hoof it up to the half-way line, get it as far away from your goal as possible instead pissing about making stupid passes 20 yards (or less) from your goal & losing the ball & giving your opponents an easy chance to score a goal, just absolutely barmy!

GlasgowCeltic

Teams playing 4-4-2. Proper wingers. Defenders who could defend and head it as their key roles.
Two strikers.
Midfielders who did a bit of everything before this holding mid nonsense started.
Full backs who could defend as their first job.
Most sides were rubbish but they had their own individual charm atleast, and usually one magician, not a robot in sight

alexthelion

Fair points. I wouldn't be disappointed with Sancho signing, not at all. Just my priority vs the ones you've listed as yours, is really which has the less risk. Sancho for £90m, or Grealish for £120m? I think Grealish comes in and is instantly good for us, whereas with Sancho it's a bit more of a risk, because whilst I've seen him have great games against the likes of Bayern, I've also watched him be of little use in games in the CL and for England. So that's my main concern really, but as you say pros and cons to both so we'll see how it works out.
Where do you play Grealish? Left? Then you leave Rashford out. Centre? That's Bruno territory. He doesn't play right, so that's a no go. Which is why Sancho makes much more sense (as well as being a lot younger).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm sorry but is this Sancho guy worth his salt? I know he is talented blah blah blah but is not signing him means end of the title challenge? Come on now.. let's be real..

If he signs, he will get like what, 15 goals and 15 assists? Would you call that a success? Still wouldn't win us the league, a step closer but he alone won't win us the league..

Spend the money elsewhere where it's more needed. Let Amad and greenwood develop on the RW.

Jeezzzz...
Which individual player WOULD win us the league? Genuine question.

I don't think there is one.

So an English wonderkid who plays in our massively neglected right wing slot sounds ideal to me

laughtersassassin

This I fully agree with. I've said a lot of times the mistake we made last year wasn't not signing Sancho for that huge fee but not walking away earlier to pursue other targets. That we should have definitely done. That wasn't what made me reply to you though criticizing the club for refusing to pay exorbitant fees players aren't worth at all is what made me question you.
And if you're going to praise City again then at least mention that refusing to pay for KOULIBALY is what made them move on to Dias not Maguire who they missed out on a year ago. Otherwise you should be bashing them too for taking a whole year to switch to a plan B :lol: :lol:
In fairness city can afford to wait more than we can.

Being at the top gets you that.

As you said the real mistake was that we didn't reallocate some of the funds to a different position and go buy a Starting DM or CB. Both of which we are also still pursuing.

Tallis

Do we need a Sancho alternatives thread to keep up the pressure on Dortmund ?

Matthew84!

I can't help feeling that Utd won't up their bid, perhaps to much to pay out when we need other areas before hand, Greenwood and James will both be better next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Must be worse than Bukayo Saka. 25 goals and 27 assists in his past 2 seasons aren't as good as Saka and his 6 goals and 8 assists over 2 seasons, as that's how big skill gap is between the Bundesliga and the Premier League.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He plays in the Bundesliga and is not one of Southgate's favourites. Nothing he can do about that.

laughtersassassin

Well that puts to bed the but he doesn't start for England narrative.

Southgate very clearly has a problem with him and his opinion on Sancho should not be considered

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well that puts to bed the but he doesn't start for England narrative.

Southgate very clearly has a problem with him and his opinion on Sancho should not be considered
His opinion should definitely be considered. By Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.