Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Surely another term for the excitement factor, as you call it, is entertainment?
No, the excitement is just a byproduct of the transfer market signings. Clubs don't make transfers to entertain people during off season.

Gary never used the term entertainment, he just said the saga was boring. Which it was. Anyone in their right mind knows it was drawn out and boring, so quit being sensitive about someone sharing their feelings about it being so. He's not the only one saying it, guys who recycle news for a living on skysports have even gone on air saying they really can't wait for the end of this because they're tired of it too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Today is my birthday... I stopped caring about it ages ago and don't really like the fact that I'm getting older. I don't want attention, just wanna treat it like any other day... But today I'd love to get some attention from the club. A gift in announcing Sancho! Big day today :D
Happy birthday! They will throw a few extra million in the offer this weekend just for you, I’m sure of it! Hope you have a good one :)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you know what happened last summer?

We enquired early and were told it’s €120m and had to be completed by a certain date. We were never spending €120m last summer so we never followed up on it despite Dortmund talking about us needing to make a bid and the fact we know the price all summer.

We came back in this summer because we felt the price was likely to come down to something more realistic and within our financial resources and it looks like we have managed to negotiate the transfer before July in the middle of an international tournament.
Clearly you don't know what happened last summer.

If you think, naively, that we just walked away from the 120m eur price and never tried to have a long drawn out process of haggling it down, then youre just refusing to accept reality. You're basically explaining what clubs like Chelsea or Liverpool did when they were interested for him. We didn't do that.

It was United for Sancho pretty much all window until we really panicked and realized we can't bring them down, we tried to pursue with intermediaries and agree personal terms, we tried to sort out fee structures and the works knowing the price was something we weren't willing to pay. We called their bluff and lost. It's that simple.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Not pursue him until the dying embers of the last window. If we like him but he's too expensive, move on early. That's literally what Chelsea did.

He's spot on, just because it's highlighting a poor aspect about the club doesn't mean he's just a moaner for the sake of it.

Some fans especially here are so sensitive that a genuine observation about club efficiency is taken almost personally.
Not at all, but you could ask what the point is in moaning about certain aspects of the club from last year, when changes have been put in place since then..

We perused him because he was clearly our number 1 target.

In your situation, we could’ve moved on to our 2nd choice target and then been left this year to watch Sancho join another team for 30m less.. Can you honestly say that you don’t think the club would have received criticism in that case?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Clearly you don't know what happened last summer.

If you think, naively, that we just walked away from the 120m eur price and never tried to have a long drawn out process of haggling it down, then youre just refusing to accept reality. You're basically explaining what clubs like Chelsea or Liverpool did when they were interested for him. We didn't do that.

It was United for Sancho pretty much all window until we really panicked and realized we can't bring them down, we tried to pursue with intermediaries and agree personal terms, we tried to sort out fee structures and the works knowing the price was something we weren't willing to pay. We called their bluff and lost. It's that simple.
Did you actually listen to what Zorc said? We never negotiated with them last summer. We were told the price and date early on and he said multiple time that we had not been in contact, had not made a bid, were not negotiating and if we did want to make an offer we knew where to start.

It’s a massive difference to this summer where we have actually made a big and are actually negotiating.

I’d love to see you provide any evidence of your claims.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not at all, but you could ask what the point is in moaning about certain aspects of the club from last year, when changes have been put in place since then..

We perused him because he was clearly our number 1 target.

In your situation, we could’ve moved on to our 2nd choice target and then been left this year to watch Sancho join another team for 30m less.. Can you honestly say that you don’t think the club would have received criticism in that case?
If another club was willing to bid what we're bidding now for Sancho, you'd hear it. I don't think there's a club out there that wants to put in that much for him because they either can't afford him or are already well stocked in the wider areas.

As for the what's the point in moaning - you have to remember it's just a tweet. He didn't rant, he hasn't put out a whole article lambasting the club. He just put out a sentence about his thoughts around the whole saga being so long that it sapped the excitement out of it (clearly from a fan perspective). He also said its important to think about what's next.

You can say "oh what's the point in saying that" but just look at the context - it's fecking twitter and these guys share their thoughts all the time around footballing matters. Why posters are getting so sensitive about it I don't understand - half of them have bought into making this thread a parody and showing gifs from Groundhog day, insinuating it's boring as feck themselves.

Withnail

No, the excitement is just a byproduct of the transfer market signings. Clubs don't make transfers to entertain people during off season.

Gary never used the term entertainment, he just said the saga was boring. Which it was. Anyone in their right mind knows it was drawn out and boring, so quit being sensitive about someone sharing their feelings about it being so. He's not the only one saying it, guys who recycle news for a living on skysports have even gone on air saying they really can't wait for the end of this because they're tired of it too.
Fair point. I just thought it was funny because they mean basically the same thing to me. That's a bit rich from the 24hr news cycle lads on Sky though. All they do is repeat themselves constantly :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did you actually listen to what Zorc said? We never negotiated with them last summer. We were told the price and date early on and he said multiple time that we had not been in contact, had not made a bid, were not negotiating and if we did want to make an offer we knew where to start.

It’s a massive difference to this summer where we have actually made a big and are actually negotiating.

I’d love to see you provide any evidence of your claims.
Dortmund dealt with 3rd party intermediaries, Zorc never directly heard from the club because we never got to an acceptable stage of liaising with him on final stages. To insinuate that we just walked away from Sancho as a target early on is just naivety, I'm sorry to say . If you want to see an example of us not going for a player and ending interest for the window - see how De Ligt went down. Briefs were out from our side to let the media know that it's all off. All the credible outlets like BBC/Athletic/Luckhurst said United have cooled their interest, because they did.

This never happened with Sancho because we were out there trying to agree terms and push for fee structures so it gets to a stage where they can pass the third party process and agree a fee. Of course, nothing was agreed with the club so nothing was bid. Google is your best friend - I don't need to "provide evidence" to show water is wet.

Here's a strongly credible article from Athletic that showed how it went down: https://theathletic.co.uk/2115449/2020/10/06/manchester-united-jadon-sancho-transfer-window/

United banked on Dortmund accepting that selling to them for a discounted fee would be their best bet, but the German side never picked up the phone and were left bemused as to how United got the idea Sancho would cost less than £108m, given that had been the message all along.

Ali Dia

Perhaps times have changed. Demand is greater. And I agree that we shouldn’t wait for our ‘young players’ as a rule, I am viewing Amad as an exception to that, personally. More in a different bracket of ‘our special young players’.

In my time as a United fan, we’ve always, or often had good young players like a Rossi or whoever, but then there have been a few potential superstars who we have absolutely created a clear 3 year plan to harvest. Ronaldo was young on one wing, Giggs was seasoned on the other. We would have never just bought a 25 year old to start ahead of Ronaldo at 19, it was a development spot in our team, shared between him and Fletch because we saw obvious reward in the longer term that needed an investment in time.

I think Rashford’s emergence was similar. He was 18, and there was clearly no chance that we were going to just look for a Luka Jovic level 23 year old to put ahead of him after his flurry of goals when he came through. We went for Zlatan as part of some sort of succession plan to bridge the gap, but I think there was a clear sense of us betting on his talent. I remember talk of Vardy and others at the time, but word was that we didn’t want to put someone in front of Rashford. Similar with Greenwood and Cavani arguably, in terms of succession planning. I put Amad in that sort of bracket as a big money talent we clearly believe in, and it seems a clear change in strategy to then put another one a year or two in front of him. That’s not really how we’ve ever done it I don’t think. I’m not against another right winger, but having bought Amad as a potential superstar young RW, I wouldn’t have thought we needed to buy another potential superstar young RW. To me, we’ve already bet on one of those, and personally, I’d have gone for a different profile to bridge the gap, so to speak. Not necessarily Perisic, but that sort of profile perhaps, who can come in and be relied upon immediately for a couple of seasons. Someone around 30. That seems to me how we have always developed our special young talent with a clear integration plan. It’s been much discussed in the Varane thread that he turned us down due to us just signing Phil Jones at the same age for big money.

I respect that others may disagree, and a fans nature is also to want all the good players and want them now, but it doesn’t all add up to me. I can’t imagine we’d have spent what we spent on Amad last summer if we had completed the Sancho deal back then, for example. Sancho himself is young, and needs plenty of time to develop and adapt.
As much as some fans don’t want to hear it Sancho is going to be playing on the left as much as anywhere else. Amad will be developed on the right when Greenwood goes central. There’ll probably always be an odd one out like martial this season but that not a problem at a big club. It’s better to be buying and selling from a position of strength than always playing catch up.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Dortmund dealt with 3rd party intermediaries, Zorc never directly heard from the club because we never got to an acceptable stage of liaising with him on final stages. To insinuate that we just walked away from Sancho as a target early on is just naivety, I'm sorry to say . If you want to see an example of us not going for a player and ending interest for the window - see how De Ligt went down. Briefs were out from our side to let the media know that it's all off. All the credible outlets like BBC/Athletic/Luckhurst said United have cooled their interest, because they did.

This never happened with Sancho because we were out there trying to agree terms and push for fee structures so it gets to a stage where they can pass the third party process and agree a fee. Of course, nothing was agreed with the club so nothing was bid. Google is your best friend - I don't need to "provide evidence" to show water is wet.
The difference between De Ligt and Sancho is that one had agreements in place with another club and the other was keen to join United and was happy to wait for the right moment.

The press continued with the Sancho/United story last year because they knew the club and player were keen on each other and they knew the story generates clicks.

The closest comparison to this deal is Ronaldo to Madrid in 2009 after being told that he would be staying with us for another year but had a gentleman’s agreement to leave the following summer.

laughtersassassin

of course it’s a moan. We’ve saved 30m by waiting a year and effectively got Amad and Sancho for last years Sancho price.

We obviously didn’t think Sancho was worth the price they wanted last year, so what were we supposed to do?
Invest in another much needed position?

As of right now our first 11 still needs a CB a CDM and a RW.

Surely if we wanted to wait for Sancho you shift focus to another much needed position?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The difference between De Ligt and Sancho is that one had agreements in place with another club and the other was keen to join United and was happy to wait for the right moment.

The press continued with the Sancho/United story last year because they knew the club and player were keen on each other and they knew the story generates clicks.

The closest comparison to this deal is Ronaldo to Madrid in 2009 after being told that he would be staying with us for another year but had a gentleman’s agreement to leave the following summer.
The press continued nothing. If you're trying to suggest journalists like Laurie Whitwell for Athletic and other genuine sources are merely clickbait then you simply don't have a clue.

I've given the evidence you're after from top sources that show that we pursued him all summer, and Dortmund never picked up the phone to entertain because our fee suggestions weren't meeting the mark.

That's what happened, so either quit burying your head in the sand or quit being so sensitive about other people rightly saying the saga was longer than it should have been.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I actually feel sorry for Sancho. Germany hold him in high regard but England don't play him. He is told he is worth X but Utd don't want to pay it. I get the feeling that his moral will be crushed and when he eventually signs for Utd he will be a shadow of his former self. The pressure must be huge. I hope he doesn't crawl inside himself after this nonsense.

sewey89

If another club was willing to bid what we're bidding now for Sancho, you'd hear it. I don't think there's a club out there that wants to put in that much for him because they either can't afford him or are already well stocked in the wider areas.

As for the what's the point in moaning - you have to remember it's just a tweet. He didn't rant, he hasn't put out a whole article lambasting the club. He just put out a sentence about his thoughts around the whole saga being so long that it sapped the excitement out of it (clearly from a fan perspective). He also said its important to think about what's next.

You can say "oh what's the point in saying that" but just look at the context - it's fecking twitter and these guys share their thoughts all the time around footballing matters. Why posters are getting so sensitive about it I don't understand - half of them have bought into making this thread a parody and showing gifs from Groundhog day, insinuating it's boring as feck themselves.
It clearly is a moan. We’re on the brink of signing one of the brightest prospects in world football and we have 4.5m followers tweeting about how boring it is and how he’s not excited. Days after tweeting a picture of our new shirt, moaning about that too. Of course it’s dragged on, it got boring, but now it’s actually happening, how can you not be excited?!

And of course we’re already looking at other areas. We’ve been intensely linked with Varane and Trippier already this summer and it’s still June.

And I’m not buying for a single second that nobody else is in for Sancho at 77m. Most likely they were told by his agent that he was going to United.

Chairman Steve

Gary confirmed for transfer muppet. He’s lurking in the Varane thread now that this is pretty much done.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s right though.
Of course he's right. It's drawn out and boring, and guys on skysports said the same. He even says it's not the players fault, and we should look at whose next.

Some posters are just stupidly sensitive and hypocritical, given a lot of them insinuated it was boring themselves with parody posts and gifs from groundhog day.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I actually feel sorry for Sancho. Germany hold him in high regard but England don't play him. He is told he is worth X but Utd don't want to pay it. I get the feeling that his moral will be crushed and when he eventually signs for Utd he will be a shadow of his former self. The pressure must be huge. I hope he doesn't crawl inside himself after this nonsense.
If we go by this every player morale will be crushed. There is always negotiations in any transfer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It clearly is a moan. We’re on the brink of signing one of the brightest prospects in world football and we have 4.5m followers tweeting about how boring it is and how he’s not excited. Days after tweeting a picture of our new shirt, moaning about that too. Of course it’s dragged on, it got boring, but now it’s actually happening, how can you not be excited?!

And of course we’re already looking at other areas. We’ve been intensely linked with Varane and Trippier already this summer and it’s still June.

And I’m not buying for a single second that nobody else is in for Sancho at 77m. Most likely they were told by his agent that he was going to United.
He's not excited because its been close forever and almost a given now. The saga was very long, and that sapped the excitement out of it.

He doesn't say the transfer itself is bad or the payment is not right. He's saying he's not excited. A lot of fans aren't really excited at this stage. I'm not, I want to see whose next because the sancho signing was a given, and if it wasn't him it was always going to be a Grealish or Kane pursuit.

sewey89

Invest in another much needed position?

As of right now our first 11 still needs a CB a CDM and a RW.

Surely if we wanted to wait for Sancho you shift focus to another much needed position?
Fair point and in my ‘what were we supposed to do’ was purely in relation to Sancho and Dortmund sticking to their price last year.

Last summers window was poor. I’m not trying to defend it. But changes have been made within the club and this summer is already better

if we come out of this summer sill lacking a CDM and a CB, and we don’t challenge or win anything next season, then there is every right to complain

Withnail

We hear all the time that it can weigh on some players who come in for massive transfer fees and off the back of excellent performances elsewhere.

Sancho coming in to a team for what seems like a reasonable fee and after what looks like being an understated euros will surely mean there isn't much pressure on him at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As much as some fans don’t want to hear it Sancho is going to be playing on the left as much as anywhere else. Amad will be developed on the right when Greenwood goes central. There’ll probably always be an odd one out like martial this season but that not a problem at a big club. It’s better to be buying and selling from a position of strength than always playing catch up.
From your breakdown, it would make Rashford the odd one out, more than Martial, and I just don’t see that being likely tbh.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The press continued nothing. If you're trying to suggest journalists like Laurie Whitwell for Athletic and other genuine sources are merely clickbait then you simply don't have a clue.

I've given the evidence you're after from top sources that show that we pursued him all summer, and Dortmund never picked up the phone to entertain because our fee suggestions weren't meeting the mark.

That's what happened, so either quit burying your head in the sand or quit being so sensitive about other people rightly saying the saga was longer than it should have been.
You haven’t given any evidence. You’ve name dropped.

Ali Dia

From your breakdown, it would make Rashford the odd one out, more than Martial, and I just don’t see that being likely tbh.
I see Rashford as more of a provider from the right. He gets more assists out there. If we are setting up to feed a striker with a fluid front line I think he’ll be played on the right quite a lot. Martial looks to be on the way out so Cavani and Greenwood can rotate striker. 4d chess but maybe that leaves a space for Haaland or someone like him next year when Cavani bows out.

There’ll be enough minutes for Amad.

RUCK4444

I wouldn’t say it’s dragged on longer than it should have, not in this case.

We’ve got him for a LOT less this summer and Dortmund were asking silly money during the pandemic. They were basically trying to take us to the cleaners to help fund their buy-cheap-sell-high business model.

Thinking on it I’m happy we didn’t throw 100 million plus at them, it’s would have ultimately affected our spending this summer and lined their cringey pockets.

CM

I'd say that these days every transfer is tedious, what with the neverending twitter updates and ITKs and other silly stuff. I'm never as excited as I was, say, when we signed Rooney. Thought that might just be me getting older.
I think this is true. The social media age and oversaturation of tweets kind of blunts the excitement by the time most deals go through now.

That said, Neville is being a misery if he doesn't feel any kind of excitement about Sancho. He's one of the very best young players in the game.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Today is my birthday... I stopped caring about it ages ago and don't really like the fact that I'm getting older. I don't want attention, just wanna treat it like any other day... But today I'd love to get some attention from the club. A gift in announcing Sancho! Big day today :D
Happy birthday mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldn’t say it’s dragged on longer than it should have, not in this case.

We’ve got him for a LOT less this summer and Dortmund were asking silly money during the pandemic. They were basically trying to take us to the cleaners to help fund their buy-cheap-sell-high business model.

Thinking on it I’m happy we didn’t throw 100 million plus at them, it’s would have ultimately affected our spending this summer and lined their cringey pockets.
He's not talking about just this summer though. It's a transfer that's dragged over 2 windows. 99% of the frustration is how went about things last summer.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Let the kid focus on his tournament. Then we can sign those papers and the whole shebang. This is likely one of the reasons he isn't bein picked; it's a distraction.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
tbf United fans could have spared themselves a lot of grey hair in this saga if they hadn't irrationally and militantly refused to acknowledge simple, clear and unequivocal statements of the selling club last summer

Pickle85

I’d go a step further with Chadwick in that I actually thought he was quality, and then he was sold. It’s something I’ve always thought of for years. It may have been due to the fact that I was quite young at the time so my memory is hazy, but he was one of a few players who I felt was actually making a real impact, and then he left. Like, almost as if we sold Greenwood to West Ham or something this summer!

There are a few young players like that at different clubs who the few times I saw them, they looked like potential superstars, then the next time I saw them, they were in the Championship or something and I’m scratching my head as I must have missed a bit in between!
I’d go a step further with Chadwick in that I actually thought he was quality, and then he was sold. It’s something I’ve always thought of for years. It may have been due to the fact that I was quite young at the time so my memory is hazy, but he was one of a few players who I felt was actually making a real impact, and then he left. Like, almost as if we sold Greenwood to West Ham or something this summer!

There are a few young players like that at different clubs who the few times I saw them, they looked like potential superstars, then the next time I saw them, they were in the Championship or something and I’m scratching my head as I must have missed a bit in between!
Ha, I think we may be the same person. I thought he'd be a proper player. I'll also chuck Seth Johnson into the mix there. Thought he'd be class. He wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.