2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Hammondo

No he didn’t. Ten hag said other players had a higher level than Sancho in training that week, which is why he didn’t get picked. It simply means someone else worked harder than you, not that you didn’t work hard.
He didn't even mention other players.

Irwin99

No he didn’t. Ten hag said other players had a higher level than Sancho in training that week, which is why he didn’t get picked. It simply means someone else worked harder than you, not that you didn’t work hard.
I find it incredible that people act like this was some Jose level public insult (see him recently suggesting again that Chris Smalling wouldn't play through pain again for example) when it was so so mild, along the lines of 'I didn't pick Sancho because others were better in training'- I mean, good god! if that's an insult!

I'm really not sure about EtH anymore, but i do feel that he was brought in to set certain standards after the players were pretty disgraceful in Ole and Ralf's final season and he gave Ronaldo and Sancho more than one chance to redeem themselves. He also let Mctominay and Maguire back in the squad after being linked with moves away from the club which suggests he is fair and things are based on merit.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Thank goodness there are such sharp observers as you. I mean, you missed the fact that this "10 second clip" was in super slow mo but I guess that was just hard to spot ;)

And who can blame you, I mean it is obvious you would never get that much time and space against an EPL team, let alone a top 6 club.
That high line does you happen in the EPL

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JC6GvHs9W2s
Again, stupid point. Both there are quick passing moves leading to a player running in behind. Sancho is receiving the ball then running at defenders with not one even remotely close or thinking to close him down.

Plenty of pros who've played in the Prem and abroad note how much less time you get in this league compared to others. Don't take it personally. You might have a new champion this year which proves Bundesliga isn't one sided. Celebrate that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Again, stupid point. Both there are quick passing moves leading to a player running in behind. Sancho is receiving the ball then running at defenders with not one even remotely close or thinking to close him down.

Plenty of pros who've played in the Prem and abroad note how much less time you get in this league compared to others. Don't take it personally. You might have a new champion this year which proves Bundesliga isn't one sided. Celebrate that.
:nervous:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The refusal by some to accept that the Bundesliga obviously has a different style than than the prem, one that is more attacking focused, is very strange. Of course attackers have more space because of that. And obviously that’s part of the reason why there are more goals in the Bundesliga than other leagues have. It’s strange to me that someone would desperately try to refute something, that isn’t just obvious, but also in no way a judgement of quality. It’s simply a different style. And yes, players like Sancho benefit from this. The same way defenders in Italy benefit from the different style the Serie A has. Which is more defensive minded.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Again, stupid point. Both there are quick passing moves leading to a player running in behind.
True but what if I slowed the replay down so that it takes 10 seconds for those passes? Wouldn't look so quick, then!

Sancho is receiving the ball then running at defenders with not one even remotely close or thinking to close him down.

Let's be serious for a second. He received a pass, took a nice first touch and started dribbling at the defender. That happens 10 times in every EPL game. Only that now somebody slowed the clip down and you guys lose your mind because you see what you want to see. I never read anything like that when Neymar did it.

It is a testament to how insecure many posters in here are when it comes to the Bundesliga that this needs pointing out. I mean, not eve a single user has pointed out that the "10 second clip" is only 10 seconds long because somebody slowed it down.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The refusal by some to accept that the Bundesliga obviously has a different style than than the prem, one that is more attacking focused, is very strange. Of course attackers have more space because of that. And obviously that’s part of the reason why there are more goals in the Bundesliga than other leagues have. It’s strange to me that someone would desperately try to refute something, that isn’t just obvious, but also in no way a judgement of quality. It’s simply a different style. And yes, players like Sancho benefit from this. The same way defenders in Italy benefit from the different style the Serie A has. Which is more defensive minded.
I don't think anybody is refusing to accept that. People are not getting worked up about reasonable statements like these.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

But there is definitely some truth about this. Was thinking about this constant discussion on the weekend. Could you image this scenario: Burnley (weakest PL away team) is leading 1-0 away against Manchester City and commits five players to press City in their own half in the 94th minute? I honestly can't, but that's what Bremen did against Bayern.
I agree there was truth in the observations lots of clubs were going all-in on the high intensity pressing and high lines, which favoured certain types of player more than the other top leagues. It was certainly a better criticism than the usual "time and space" stuff, which is far too easy to bullshit with, and not something you can just easily split between entire leagues, as is often implied.

Rojofiam

Thank goodness there are such sharp observers as you. I mean, you missed the fact that this "10 second clip" was in super slow mo but I guess that was just hard to spot ;)

And who can blame you, I mean it is obvious you would never get that much time and space against an EPL team, let alone a top 6 club.
I watched an hour long interview with Szoboszlai not long ago after he signed for Liverpool. He himself said that in the Bundesliga, he always had twice as much time on the ball to make a decision, and a lot more space in front of him after receiving the ball.

It's not some myth that die-hard PL fans try to sell as the real thing, the players and managers are very aware of this as well.

In England, you will be closed down quickly and you won't have that much time on the ball to make a decision.

The clip you posted is from a game where Arsenal played like City usually does at Old Trafford, and they dominated us. They just made some mistakes and we had to be very clinical to win that game. Most teams in the league will not play such a high line at Old Trafford, because they know that even during this banter era of ours we've had deadly transition players like Bruno or Rashford. And Arsenal have very athletic defenders like Saliba, White or Gabriel who can play high up the pitch. White almost got back in time to stop this Rashford goal.

What I said doesn't make the Bundesliga a bad league, though, and Sancho could be a useful player for a side that is a well-drilled unit against low-blocks and knows how to unlock them. His link-up play is actually very good, but that's not enough to make it in the PL. Van de Beek also has really good link-up play in tight spaces, but he struggled even at Everton. I bet he will find way more success in Frankfurt.

I don't doubt that Sancho would look way better and actually be useful for City, Arsenal or Liverpool. Not as a guaranteed starter, though. More of an impact sub with some starts here and there. It's just that he could never replicate his BL numbers even at those clubs, because there are very few players in the PL putting up 30-40 G/A in the league and Sancho isn't someone of that mould who we've just ruined. He's just not a good fit currently and he's probably burned his bridges at United with his totally unnecessary hissy fit on social media.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Van de Beek also has really good link-up play in tight spaces, but he struggled even at Everton. I bet he will find way more success in Frankfurt.
I bet he will be benched after AFCON when Shkiri and Chaibi are back.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
True but what if I slowed the replay down so that it takes 10 seconds for those passes? Wouldn't look so quick, then!

Let's be serious for a second. He received a pass, took a nice first touch and started dribbling at the defender. That happens 10 times in every EPL game. Only that now somebody slowed the clip down and you guys lose your mind because you see what you want to see. I never read anything like that when Neymar did it.

It is a testament to how insecure many posters in here are when it comes to the Bundesliga that this needs pointing out. I mean, not eve a single user has pointed out that the "10 second clip" is only 10 seconds long because somebody slowed it down.
I think it's more to do with people not being able to stand Sancho, rightfully so in my opinion.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I would say Sancho is probably technical enough to play for Arsenal or may be Liverpool/City based on his BVB form. He was trained in City academy so he should have no problem play in that system. The problem probably is his transfer fee and wages.

Redstain

I think even if you had a clue, since you're fundamentally incapable of critical thinking in regards to your own club and echo chamber, it wouldn't matter.

He can't cope in the EPL for a club that plays outdated kick and rush football. Would be so funny if he plays great for Dortmund and then signs for Arsenal, Liverpool or even City. I mean, I really like to see him in Germany again but that would be great as well.
I think what Sancho struggles with the most is the intensity of the league. The high octane pressurized environment where it can get physical and many players are systematically outmanaged through the opposition tactically. Managers like Pep have spoken on this and also Kevin Prince who came from hertha to Spurs mentioned the same.

I also think German football is good, there's been a massive influx of the philosophy and culture in the English league and throughout Europe stemming from that region which has proven itself successful.

But the judgement of Sancho has nothing to do with comparative leagues but a player who lacks the mentality and application to play at a certain intensity, for that reason he wouldn't stand a chance at Arsenal, Liverpool or City.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
But the judgement of Sancho has nothing to do with comparative leagues but a player who lacks the mentality and application to play at a certain intensity, for that reason he wouldn't stand a chance at Arsenal, Liverpool or City.
If Kai can do it in Arsenal, Sancho probably can too. It really depends on the coach how he wants to use a player in his system.

RORY65

If Kai can do it in Arsenal, Sancho probably can too. It really depends on the coach how he wants to use a player in his system.
Can he? There's not a chance that Sancho is getting in your team ahead of Saka or Martinelli.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think if you put Sancho into a well oiled machine, preferably one which has its philosophy steeped in possession, front foot football, he'd do fine but I dont think he'd standout.
Its when that team is out of possession, is when the real question marks may arise over his application and work ethic.

I also think he needs to be around experienced level-headed pros/ players/individuals that would try to get the most out of him and keep him relatively grounded. Reus , from the outside, seems to have played a big part in Jadon's time at BVB. There's a obvious connection there between the two.

Last edited:

Redstain

I don't think so iv'e seen Havertz at Chelsea throw himself about and comes across as being more aggressive. Of his 23 league goals 7 of those were headed, that shows a willingness in his character to impose himself to a degree.

Seen Sancho in too many games lackluster in his play, it's not evident if your watching highlights, watching Jadon for 5 - 90 min games consecutively for the team last season and you'll see for yourself. He did do well as a center forward (false) but that's because he was operating in the half spaces where he could move around and receive the ball on the half turn (mostly pre-season). You throw him out wide and expect him to invert as you get with Saka, Salah, Martinelli, or Diaz he will get demolished.

Notice I'm not referring to his ability, it's his intensity that's his issue. It stands out like a sore thumb.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think if you put Sancho into a well oiled machine, preferably one which has its philosophy steeped in possession, front foot football, he'd do fine.
Its when that team is out of possession, is when the real question marks may arise over his application and work ethic.

I also think he needs to be around experienced level-headed pros/ players/individuals that would try to get the most out of him and keep him relatively grounded. Reus , from the outside, seems to have played a big part in Jadon's time at BVB. There's a obvious connection there between the two.
I agree here, I don't see much difference in Sancho and someone like Doku. Sancho in a Pep system will be a totally different player

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree here, I don't see much difference in Sancho and someone like Doku. Sancho in a Pep system will be a totally different player
Nah Doku is very different. He beats people for fun from a standing start. Sancho can’t beat his man like that, he can beat them with tight dribbles and interplay. Don’t get me wrong I think he would be better for Pep but I think his general lack of intensity would be an issue in all top teams. He reminds me most of a young martial (although Martial was more talented and miles better imo) in that they both have ability, and if they could play with the intensity of a Bruno or Alexis Sanchez you are looking at completely different players. But they don’t, they play with a languid style, don’t like getting hurt and don’t really have a sense for danger. In both cases this comes down to training and desire.

Redstain

Not anywhere near close as profile of players. Sancho is more similar to Grealish where they excel under very specific conditions, Doku is getting time over Grealish for those very reasons.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I understand that he didn't work out in United, but to completely discard him as a player is over the top. He is still young and has time to turn things around.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont think he'd be a different player. He'll shine alittle more but I still think there are fundamentals that will arise that would indicate that he may have shortcomings in this league.

I think he'd be abit like Nasri. Give him time and space, he'd do well, that's depending if he's mentally in the right frame of mind. But if you have a opposition player close on him throughout the course of the match, I think his productivity and work ethic will deteriorate throughout the course of the match. Self esteem issues ?

Sancho didnt like the physical aspect of this league. He didnt show enough willingness or ambition to attack his marker. He would go into his shell alittle too often.

But, to be fair, he's not a total individualist like Rashford. So, going back to my earlier point, he does need to be in the right set-up.

All in all, my questions regarding him aside, it makes you wonder what player United thought they were scouting. He's so clearly not a counter attacking player. You'd buy someone like Baily or Bowen for that.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Nah Doku is very different. He beats people for fun from a standing start. Sancho can’t beat his man like that, he can beat them with tight dribbles and interplay. Don’t get me wrong I think he would be better for Pep but I think his general lack of intensity would be an issue in all top teams. He reminds me most of a young martial (although Martial was more talented and miles better imo) in that they both have ability, and if they could play with the intensity of a Bruno or Alexis Sanchez you are looking at completely different players. But they don’t, they play with a languid style, don’t like getting hurt and don’t really have a sense for danger. In both cases this comes down to training and desire.
Different wingers have excelled under Pep at City
Whether its the cut in and shoot like Mahrez
Push and beat for pace like Sane
Pass and move like Sterling
Hold, protect possession like Grealish
Or the workhorse pressing midfielders like Bernardo
Now we are seeing a different profile in Doku who wants to take on and dribble

If all these could attain some level of success then Sancho can fit into at least one of these profiles

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Different wingers have excelled under Pep at City
Whether its the cut in and shoot like Mahrez
Push and beat for pace like Sane
Pass and move like Sterling
Hold, protect possession like Grealish
Or the workhorse pressing midfielders like Bernardo
Now we are seeing a different profile in Doku who wants to take on and dribble

If all these could attain some level of success then Sancho can fit into at least one of these profiles
I’d argue the one thing they all have in common is greater intensity though. Yes they are all different styles but they all work hard (both ways) and carry their own individual danger. From what I’ve seen of Sancho he just doesn’t have that.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s fascinating to come in here and read german football fans talk about the game. it’s like being a fly on the wall 15,000 years ago, watching cavemen talk about the wheel.