2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sylar

Amazing what happens when you show a bit of faith in the guy.

Still thanks to Ten Hag we will have Antony stinking it up for years to come instead
Don't understand if this is a troll or windup post or an actual serious post.

Sancho wasn't lighting it up under ole, rangnick or eth. We can't say all Managers have had no faith in him. He's also been horrible for England when he's had minutes.

Also eth gave the guy a break from football to get his head right. Eth was showing faith in the guy by allowing Sancho to do this to get him prepared for the last part of last season and start of this.

And Sancho repaid it with poor training and hardly any great appearances when he did feature.

With regards to Antony, he's not even a starter for us. He hasn't started in the league this year for us (his last two starts were cup games and he was subbed off in them). Eth clearly rates rashford and garnacho higher than Antony in his strongest 11. Heck even with rashford going up top and a place out wide up for grabs, eth plays MCT/Bruno rather than Antony out wide.

But whatever we think of Antony (for me he's not a United player), Sancho might be worse, if not the same. Antony at least tries to fight for his place.

Sancho has shown nothing to try and get back into this team and it would have been easy given the number of injuries weve had.

I hope he does well as @Bertie Wooster mentions, not because of fondness but in the hope united can get a good feeling and Invest it better

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really interested to see how the new regime handles this. Think it's going to tell you a lot about what to expect. If they bring him back under a different manager, hang up some motivational posters at Carrington, and have him talk to a sports psychologist instead of replacing him with someone better then I'm afraid nothing has been learned and nothing will change. Nice dribble earlier against psv.
There’s nothing to handle. His conduct of this season at our club has pretty much sealed his fate.

alexanderplatz

You can’t criticise ten hag for signing players from the Dutch league and then say we should take Sancho back cause he scored in a farmers league clash

whitbyviking

Glad to see him doing well at least in the stats over the past couple of games. I still think there's a big chance for him here post Ten Hag.

My view on it is that it was a false start from the beginning. When you sign a player coming off a hot streak, just play them...none of this adaptation etc stuff, just start them. Ole didn't do that with Sancho and then it just never got going.

I actually thought he'd looked good in pre-season in the false 9 and then lo and behold very little game time at the start of the campaign and getting called out whilst we have languid players in Martial and Rashford plus bad attitudes and hot and cold players in Bruno and Antony.
He never came straight into the side under Ole because he was sick when he arrived, had some time in hospital and then wasn't fit enough as a result. They didn't hold him out for adaptation, he just wasn't healthy enough to go straight in.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He’ll come back as soon as ETH is sacked, we just won’t sell him when he’s on £350k per week, I don’t get all the 5th place nonsense, United are too far behind to catch Villa or spurs, watching players like Darmian, Mkhitaryan and M Depay all playing in an elite round of 16 CL and all being more than decent?

Signing for united really does become the graveyard of your career under the Glazers, let’s hope the new regime can change that theory and upgrade the medical and training facilities to truly world class.
Darmian still plays like he hasn't gone through puberty.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He scored a goal, big deal, does that make him a World beater now?

He scored some goals for United too and we thought maybe he'd sorted himself out but how long did that last?

If he has one or two decent performances for Dortmund between now and the end of the season, perhaps we can con them into taking him off our hands.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
95th percentile for completed passes in the final third, 93rd for completed passes in the penalty box. 97th for progressive passes. 99th for progressive carrying distance with the ball. 93rd for carrying into the penalty area. 99th for dispossessed, despite having the ball more than most in attacking third and penalty area (87th and 75th percentile). Also 87th for expected assists.

For a player who came back after not training for four months those numbers make you sit up and take notice.
How did it go with Nick Powell, btw, since you're the expert?

NoPace

But why is he lazy for us? We have a bad reputation for our players being lazy and arrogant in recent years, so why focus on him?

Wasn't a good idea for our manager to say what he did either.
He was lazy yesterday. Did some really good stuff on the ball. I think he probably is just not a warrior type of guy/player, but I'd be fine with bringing him back and just spending our money on the other needs. If Rashford goes, in particular, you then need to sign 2 wingers, so signing one and bringing back Sancho is probably easier.

Teja

Sancho and Depay showing up on the big stage. Why does everyone at United get ruined
Was Depay ever good? He floated around a fair bit without doing anything of note for about 7 years now. No idea what he's up to this season.

There is something to be said about the personality it takes to succeed at United and us ruining players. If you go into a well oiled machine (like Gakpo with Liverpool) on a lowish transfer fee, the expectations can be managed. e.g., if Gakpo came to United at the time, I'm convinced he'd be in the same bracket as guys like Martial, Depay and Sancho.

I have a lot of admiration for guys like Bruno, Onana and Maguire for this.

crossy1686

career ending
Sounds like some of the graduate recruits where I work.
They're everywhere mate, I know fully grown men who are still angry at the world for self inflicted issues that they could solve if they just reflected on they're own behaviour. Too difficult for some it seems, but nice to know it extends to millionaire footballers also.

Woziak

Darmian still plays like he hasn't gone through puberty.
He looks a decade younger than his real age that’s for sure and he was like Dalot could play left or right back, I mean the fact that Blind and him are still performing at a high level in mid 30’s just shows how sh… we are at selling or keeping good professionals?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You answered your own question: mentality.

You can't be insecure or mentally be a child and play for United. Not everyone has the ability to reflect and grow, some need to blame everyone else for their issues.
Sancho on his performances after his first goal since his return:

The attacker had recently been in a slump, but he managed to break free with his first goal since his return against Werder Bremen. However, he's not entirely satisfied. "I'm disappointed in myself and my performance today," Sancho said about his appearance against Werder. Because: "I could have played much better and contributed more."

The high expectations, which also prevailed around the Westfalenstadion in the wake of his return, are something he wants to live up to again, emphasized the professional. "I can understand if the fans are upset with me in recent weeks because I haven't been scoring and contributing as much," Sancho continued.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Was Depay ever good? He floated around a fair bit without doing anything of note for about 7 years now. No idea what he's up to this season.

There is something to be said about the personality it takes to succeed at United and us ruining players. If you go into a well oiled machine (like Gakpo with Liverpool) on a lowish transfer fee, the expectations can be managed. e.g., if Gakpo came to United at the time, I'm convinced he'd be in the same bracket as guys like Martial, Depay and Sancho.

I have a lot of admiration for guys like Bruno, Onana and Maguire for this.
100% agree with this. Particularly with regards to Maguire.

big_jeffstar

There were plenty of stories about him preferring to be a big fish in a small pond ages ago, it really isn’t very surprising that he loves playing at Dortmund so much.. some players just don’t have the right mindset for the premier league

Bobski

He looks a decade younger than his real age that’s for sure and he was like Dalot could play left or right back, I mean the fact that Blind and him are still performing at a high level in mid 30’s just shows how sh… we are at selling or keeping good professionals?
Wan Bissaka offers 10 X what Darmian did going forward at Utd. Haven't see enough of him in Italy to see if he has developed that side of his game but if he still the full back who takes a nosebleed when he leaves his own half we are well rid of him.

alexthelion

He was lazy yesterday. Did some really good stuff on the ball. I think he probably is just not a warrior type of guy/player, but I'd be fine with bringing him back and just spending our money on the other needs. If Rashford goes, in particular, you then need to sign 2 wingers, so signing one and bringing back Sancho is probably easier.
:nono:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
For me Sancho is one of the biggest reasons we should stick with Ten Hag. If he goes players like Sancho and Rashford get another chance to “prove” themselves under a new manager. I’d rather we just cut our losses and bin players off like this. I’m done defending talented but ultimately useless players. The amount of energy I spent over the years defending Pogba and Martial and Sancho doesn’t even have anywhere near the same talent to even be bothered about. I hope regardless of the managerial situation he’s on the block.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So presumably bagging a goal against PSV makes him world class again? £70m would be a bargain to someone...

Glorio

Wish him all the best - hope he actually shines so it drives his price up and someone takes him off our hands

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Sancho may have been a failure for us but he seems to be having the last laugh…
That was always going to be the case with the contract he's on. A fine product of United's "asset" policy. Arrived at OT with the reputation of a slacker, saw the others playing upfront demanding and getting what they want from Solskajer and decided that he wanted the same. He didn't get it, so he just sat on his contract, waiting for the next permanent managerial appointment. When ETH's methods didn't suit him, he was basically sent on paid holiday to the Netherlands to sort himself out (whatever that meant) while the team was fighting on all fronts. When both he and ETH had enough of each other, he took a comment from the manager to the extreme and made himself unavailable for selection. Now, he's collecting his full salary to play where he wants and how he wants to play. At a club that can't afford him and without the pressure that usually comes with his salary. He's living the dream.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is the crypto market of football. When he does nothing everyone falls asleep then he starts throwing a tantrum which depletes his own value even further then once he finally does something good, everyone jumps back in and his price goes through the roof. Keep going Sancho so we can sell you.... for half our purchase price!!!