Jadon Sancho Borussia Dortmund loan watch (Has ended ten Hag)

TheGame

We need a manager and coaching team we can trust, yes.

Someone who can coach and manage players and individuals. No player is unmanageble.
To me it doesn't look like we are managing the players we have very well. We are among the biggest clubs in the world, with an enormous apparatus around the players, and their only job is to get the most out of a pool of 30 players. Dealing with someone who's unmotivated and comes in late for training should be easy to handle. It's the managements job to coach and if needed guide this player into better habits, making sure he understands what is expected of him in a way that makes sure we get the best out of him. What works for one player doesn't work for every player. Players that have shown WC-talent and performed well at other clubs, that fail here, is on us. Getting the best out of every asset we have is the managements responsibility. If the player just doesn't have the potential to play on the top level, that is another thing, but Sancho has that potential.

We failed miserably with him and it's obvious ETH doesn't have the right set of keys to unlock some of our players.
He's been here 3 fecking years and you are talking about Sancho having potential to play at the top level when he has shown nothing of the sort under 3 managers here. ETH even gave him time off to get his head together and still people have a go at him for answering a question in a fecking interview.

Castia

It’s like a kid having to go back to school after the summer break

He’ll be fecking fuming not being able to play fifa all night

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Good riddance. Hope he does well so we can recoup some of the fee in the summer. Can't see it though, he doesn't strike me as the character who would have kept himself fit during this break despite claims he will "fight for the badge".

Redstain

He's been here 3 fecking years and you are talking about Sancho having potential to play at the top level when he has shown nothing of the sort under 3 managers here. ETH even gave him time off to get his head together and still people have a go at him for answering a question in a fecking interview.
Sancho for me doesn't cut it in English football but the manager hasn't handled the situation adequately at all. To give an ultimatum of apology or exile is extremism as the situation wasn't severe enough to determine those course of events. It should have been resolved behind closed doors (even if there was an agreement for the player to leave). The hope should be that Sancho does well so the club can demand a good fee for him in the summer. Between him and Greenwood that's potentially 70-80 million if those within the new structure are worth their positions. A contribution towards FFP and the club which historically have undersold players can recoup value to reinvest into the market.

DavidDeSchmikes

Back in February 2023, I thought that maybe Sancho kickstart his career here.
It hasn't worked out, so it's another example of our recruitment (loaning out a £72m player back to the club we brought him from)

sugar_kane

Sancho for me doesn't cut it in English football but the manager hasn't handled the situation adequately at all. To give an ultimatum of apology or exile is extremism as the situation wasn't severe enough to determine those course of events. It should have been resolved behind closed doors (even if there was an agreement for the player to leave). The hope should be that Sancho does well so the club can demand a good fee for him in the summer. Between him and Greenwood that's potentially 70-80 million if those within the new structure are worth their positions. A contribution towards FFP and the club which historically have undersold players can recoup value to reinvest into the market.
I've seen this opinion touted around a lot but Sancho crossed a line from which their should be no return. If anything Ten Hag was generous allowing a path back to the squad if he apologised.

What would Fergie have done if one of his players called him a liar to the world? The player would have had to have gone into hiding.

cyberman

His complete lack of pace and pressing from the front kills him in English football. Hes good at ball carrying but not when he has an actual obstacle in his way. Otherwise it’s stand still and hope to wrong foot a FB time and time again

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Fergie held the line with much better players. And I mean MUCH better… Sancho doesn’t get in the match squads for most of our 90s and 00s

It’s not one thing in isolation, it’s about too standards and expectations and sticking to them so everyone knows they do that or will likely be leaving.

Im all for it

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he’s more brazen than a returning spouse who lost loads of weight and thought she could do better. she ran off with her gym instructor, who soon traded her in for a new model, and now she’s trying to worm her way back. he’s basically carol partridge.

Redstain

What would Fergie have done if one of his players called him a liar to the world? The player would have had to have gone into hiding.
I think the fundamental difference with Sir Alex is his man management was remarkable and preceded his credentials as a top manager. I don't see the same with Eth so there's no equilibrium as you would have with Sir Alex.

For instance, if Sir Alex falls out with a player given his credibility in this area (many of his former world class players big egos referring to him as a father figure etc) the consensus for me would always be that the player was at fault without question. But on the other hand, when I hear of a fallout with Erik I subconsciously already need more context considering he doesn't have the reputation for man management and his lack of charisma and very dry personality only consolidates that curiosity further.

It's subjective of course but if Erik and Sir Alex made the same decision over something it's not a black and white predicament one was a master of knowing how to manage, inspire, motivate and demand more out of people.

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What disappoints me is that he is a good player - better than some still at the club. He has all the ability, but seemingly the wrong attitude.

saivet

Good luck to him, hope he does well at Dortmund and hopefully he can sort out his professionalism issues too. He might not want to apologise for his statement but hopefully this will be a kick up the backside to start getting to training on time, all of the time. It would be a shame for a player to not achieve their potential because for whatever reason they can't or won't do some of the basic things right.

JB7

Exactly the type of comments I expected from him upon re-signing for Dortmund. Pathetic attitude, good riddance.

Redstain

I've seen this opinion touted around a lot but Sancho crossed a line from which their should be no return. If anything Ten Hag was generous allowing a path back to the squad if he apologised.
But that's my point the extremism lies in the apology or the exile. Eth would have made a more impactful decision sticking with one course of events. To be given an ultimatum in any professional field is poor practice. If the player overstepped the line and it's to the extent of no return (from the managers perspective) than let that be the case.

RedChisel

Not good enough for the Premier League. I'm sure he'll thrive now he's dropped down a few levels.

Rockets Redglare

he’s more brazen than a returning spouse who lost loads of weight and thought she could do better. she ran off with her gym instructor, who soon traded her in for a new model, and now she’s trying to worm her way back. he’s basically carol partridge.
Perfect analogy :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's sad times when Germany is declaring a national holiday because a mediocre player has returned on loan.

It will be even funnier when Kane gets a statue built in the centre of Munich because he scored a few goals.

I went to Germany once and I was actually the 187th best footballer in the country which says it all

TheGame

ETH got asked a question, he answered it, there was nothing wrong with what he said. If he lied, everyone would have called him out for lying. The reaction from Sancho was what caused the issue. Someone else would have used it as motivation to get ass into gear from a manager who supported him by giving him time off but he threw a strop then played video games for 3 months. He's been here 3 years, had 2 managers before ETH. He's been dreadful since he's been here when we had high hopes for him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His complete lack of pace and pressing from the front kills him in English football. Hes good at ball carrying but not when he has an actual obstacle in his way. Otherwise it’s stand still and hope to wrong foot a FB time and time again
His pace isn’t an issue at all. It’s his lack of ability to cope with pressure especially physical and also mental that killed his premier league career so far.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The cnut that keeps on giving. Tell you what Jadon, take a pay cut and feck off there for good in the summer if you love it so much.

We need to sign less of these “smile on my face” footballers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
... Everything all right at home rimmers?

stu_1992

Glad to see him gone, albeit temporarily for now. I will be rooting for him to do well enough that we can sell him for a decent fee.

mctrials23

He is, like so many young players, fragile mentally. Hes got all the ability to succeed at United despite us not playing a style of football that necessarily suits him best. He just didn't want to put in the work and didn't like running into the consequences of his actions in the form of a manager who won't put up with it.

I desperately wanted him to do well at United. Hes a great player and great to watch at his best. Its just frankly pathetic that people can get paid £300k per week and still act like children. Even more astonishing is the people that will defend him despite his silly wages.

SuperiorXI

I am so disappointed with Sancho's career so far at united, he hasn't come anywhere close to expectations. Whatever has happened behind closed doors, it's not reflecting well on him at all. I think it's best for both if he's moved on in the summer. Hopefully can get some form going so we can get a good price.

TsuWave

In fairness, I don't recall Ferguson ever saying a player is not performing in training in a post-match after a loss. Different managers will have different approaches of course, and I'm not saying Ten Hag lied, but I also don't think it was "needed". From most reports, and recollection, Ferguson was hard on players behind close doors, but extremely protective of them to the world.

TheGame

In fairness, I don't recall Ferguson ever saying a player is not performing in training in a post-match after a loss. Different managers will have different approaches of course, and I'm not saying Ten Hag lied, but I also don't think it was "needed". From most reports, and recollection, Ferguson was hard on players behind close doors, but extremely protective of them to the world.
How would you have answered the question about why he wasn't selected if it was put to you?

Mr. Ant

Why are footballers so dumb? Dortmund feels like home etc.. he'll be there until June.

He's still our player, the club is paying him to play for Dortmund because he's been awful. Our and his only hope is he'll score some goals and look like an actual footballer so we can recoup some money and he can get a fresh start elsewhere.

He should be saying things like I want to get my career back on track etc instead of that rubbish.

Rojofiam

The ones that are defending him vs ETH, do you forget that he gave Sancho like 3 months off last season to sort out his personal matters and mental health? Also there was nothing wrong with what the manager said in that press conference, no one would even remember it if Sancho didn't make a mountain out of it

jadaba

His comments are those of someone with only loyalty to himself. He'll be highly motivated to demonstrate that he isn't the problem but United / Ten Hag are, but I'm going to bet that months of improper training and all those late night FIFA sessions will show their impact when he plays.

TsuWave

How would you have answered the question about why he wasn't selected if it was put to you?
From "had a knock" to "illness" to "we felt the selected players were the right ones for the plan we had in mind" etc - it's not as if he was short of options. Managers lie all the time. I'd even argue it's a core tool set for the role.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ferguson didn't fell out with Ronaldo, though. ETH seems to have problems with most of the better players. He also burned bridges after his Bayern stint with that famous letter.

Guardiola let Sancho go, so probably not best suited for PL. However, i think he's still got it and will turn it on again. If he's eligble for CL i can see lots of fans eating their own words.

United could have provided a better environment for him. It's not a coincidence that most of the flair players don't work out, e.g. Di Maria, Mkhi, Sanchez and the list goes on and on again.

Irwin99

Looking forward to the inevitable comments when he scores a goal and people say EtH is toxic, Sancho is a good lad, big mistake etc etc.

As others have said, no one would be surprised if EtH got the sack and Sancho gets another fresh start next season. The survivor culture here is just like that.