Jadon Sancho (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I agree but I guess we aren’t flush with options. I assume it suits Sancho (comfort blanket) and it suits Dortmund (experience with the player and him in the league).
Dortmund‘s current coach was basically Sancho‘s nanny at Dortmund. I assume they (think they) know how to handle him.

Judas

Open to offers
He will be pampered and babied, and I’ve no doubt it will work in their favour. We couldn’t afford to do that, especially with his performances for us massively underwhelming.

I do think he’s got a chance to come back if Ten Hag is given the boot, but it wouldn’t sit right with me.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It makes even more sense then. Will be interesting to see how it plays out actually.
Wouldn't be surprised if now Nuri Sahin takes over "nanny duty" as new assistant who also has played together with Sancho. There should be some kind of connection between the former wonderkid and youngest captain Sahin and Sancho.

How this "Jobs for the boys" approach on Dortmund's bench will work however will be interesting to see.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wouldn't be surprised if now Nuri Sahin takes over "nanny duty" as new assistant who also has played together with Sancho. There should be some kind of connection between the former wonderkid and youngest captain Sahin and Sancho.

How this "Jobs for the boys" approach on Dortmund's bench will work however will be interesting to see.
That’s also interesting. Had no idea about those changes. Who have they got involved in some capacity?

Andy Moller should be brought in! Top character and doing some interesting work currently.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He will be pampered and babied, and I’ve no doubt it will work in their favour. We couldn’t afford to do that, especially with his performances for us massively underwhelming.

I do think he’s got a chance to come back if Ten Hag is given the boot, but it wouldn’t sit right with me.
We could do it but this Football club is poorly run., to the point where doing things that suit its interests is overlooked. If I spend that much on players, you can bet that I will do nearly everything to make it work in my favour and be damned my misplaced pride.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If I could follow posters like you can follow Instagram accounts this would get the follow. Absolutely brilliantly put from an outside perspective. From beginning to end.

Bravo Sir. Bravo.

85% of the times he posts good content and I agree with most of his takes. But the other 15% @Zehner is rambling about his hatred towards everything Bayern ;)
And I consider those 15% my best reads by far!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That’s also interesting. Had no idea about those changes. Who have they got involved in some capacity?
Nuri Sahin and Lars Bender just now start as new assistant managers to Terzic, they were Klopp's young midfielders. Their "predecessor" Sebastian Kehl who was a senior backup under Klopp is Dortmund's DoF. Terzic himself never played for Dortmund but started during Klopp's time as scout, later coached multiple youth teams (mostly as assistant) before becoming Lucien Favre's assistant and later his successor as manager. During Rose's season in charge he moved to a "technical director" position before taking over as manager again. So quite a bunch of "Klopp era" guys running the show now, and they even increased that after their terrible first half season.

Otto Addo, another former player is officially their "talent manager", which seems to be a similar role to what Fletcher does at United- helping young players transitioning from the academy to senior football.

Judas

Open to offers
We could do it but this Football club is poorly run., to the point where doing things that suit its interests is overlooked. If I spend that much on players, you can bet that I will do nearly everything to make it work in my favour and be damned my misplaced pride.
I’d agree if he had shown more in the league, but he’s been average at best. He got special treatment last year, and for what?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’d agree if he had shown more in the league, but he’s been average at best. He got special treatment last year, and for what?
I get why you say that but there is one small issue. Being sent away isn't a special treatment or at least not a positive one but most importantly, the "special" treatment isn't supposed to be a reward for the player but for the club, it's simply what man management is about, you treat everyone individually and try to find what trigger them positively. Some players, you leave them alone, others you nanny them and actively nudge them in the right direction.

Currently United seem to use a one fit for all approach outside of punishing players which has had no positive effect. It has just been a costly management approach that saw us have zero players fulfill their potential in the last decade.

didz

Dortmund‘s current coach was basically Sancho‘s nanny at Dortmund. I assume they (think they) know how to handle him.
There was an article from Honigstein earlier that suggested that part of the reason Sahin and Bender came in was to make it easier to sack Terzic if they need to. Sancho's nanny doesn't seem to be at all on solid ground.

As others have said, having former teammates on the coaching staff could help him. Hopefully he does well and gets a bit of value, but I'll be pretty surprised if achieves anything like the numbers he had there previously.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I won't be happy if he leaves. He still has so much potential and I feel like he could do much better with the right guidance. I suppose he can only really blame himself but it seems like we got it wrong somewhere too.

USREDEVIL

I won't be happy if he leaves. He still has so much potential and I feel like he could do much better with the right guidance. I suppose he can only really blame himself but it seems like we got it wrong somewhere too.
Dude had chances galore. Didn't cut it. Time to press on.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
The man has had long enough to get things right; he was given an awful lot of support last season to get his head right. He’s clearly not of the mentality that’ll succeed here and it’s better for both parties to part ways. I really don’t think there’s much more United could have done.

USREDEVIL

The man has had long enough to get things right; he was given an awful lot of support last season to get his head right. He’s clearly not of the mentality that’ll succeed here and it’s better for both parties to part ways. I really don’t think there’s much more United could have done.
To be fair he also cried when Rooney left. So...

Unam333

It's over. Potential means nothing without the right mentality and professionalism. It's also quite obvious that he doesn't really care about the club and the fans. So why should you?

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Sounds like it's SanchON for tomorrow.

choo choo

Redstain

It's a good move for him and club, I think Eth will be gone sooner or later this season but if he plays well the club can recoup some of his initial fee. It's a hit on FFP but end of the season there could be 100m (euros) in sales between Sancho / Greenwood. I hope he performs well for the good of his career.

Last edited:

marktan

This beyond any business model. When a generational talent is available for cheap you just have to pounce.
Do Dortmund have any money to buy him if the loan goes well? Around £30m feels like it'd be a good deal for both parties

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do Dortmund have any money to buy him if the loan goes well? Around £30m feels like it'd be a good deal for both parties
I don't think they were planning on spending a lot of money on an attacking player, so it kind of depends on how well Sancho does and maybe if Malen can get sold for a decent fee, it's been reported that Manchester United are considering to pursue him.

stevoc

For me it is rather the cult of personality that always gets you in these situations. Probably it is because of the unparalleled impact Ferguson had on your club but you're always looking for that one strong leader who saves you or the one player who lifts you on the next level. In this case, you have granted Ten Hag more say on transfer activities than any other manager in the world including Guardiola and Klopp. I mean, after ages you've finally adapted the best practice of implementing a DoF and shortly after you make him a lame duck again and grant the last authority over transfer activites to the head coach.

Ten Hag's seeming favoritism of Antony is arguably what started this whole story but solely looking at the conflict itself, did Sancho's misconduct really justify banning him indefinitely and demanding a walk of shame? A suspension of one or two months seem short in hindsight but at the time, it would have been seen as very strict. I mean, I struggle to recall any player who was banned by his own club for more than one game. But Ten Hag not only took it a level further, he chose to make it personal on top of it. I don't know why you allow him to roam that freely. It is an ego trip that cost the club millions already. If Dortmund didn't know that there was no way back for Sancho at United, your bargaining position would have been much, much better.

I don't think there's any other club in the world who is so focused on individuals as you. Always a player on the market that is far too good to miss out on. Immovable support of the manager. And when things go south, it turns towards the other extreme ("make an example out of Sancho and let him rot on the bench for the next two years, feck the 40+m that will cost us").
The whole incident has shown that there's no real leadership at United, Arnold and Murtagh were phoning it in as they probably both thought/knew they were getting shoved out the door when the new owners arrived.

The whole thing should have been nipped in the bud and sorted out months ago.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The whole incident has shown that there's no real leadership at United, Arnold and Murtagh were phoning it in as they probably both thought/knew they were getting shoved out the door when the new owners arrived.

The whole thing should have been nipped in the bud and sorted out months ago.
Yeah, that is an explanation

vanderpants

TBF, it's not his fault that he was bought to play in a system/position that doesn't suit him. But his lacklustre performance is on him.
Maybe the frustration is more on the people who sanctioned his transfer at such high fees & wages.
Yes I agree with this, I'm hoping he goes away to Dortmond, has a good few months under his belt and comes back ready to fight for his place

Woodenlung

Sancho has failed to perform under three different managers. I've no expectations that another change at the top would result in any sort of improvement. He just hasn't been a good footballer for Manchester United. He won't come back to United a changed player as he has never bothered to do it in the past.

I don't think the club realised what kind of player he was when we signed him either. He was used very similarly to Rashford whose strengths lay in isolating a full back and beating him in duels. Sancho doesn't have the explosive pace or dribbling ability to consistently separate from a defender.

The discipline issues are solely on him and if he can't be relied upon to train adequately he has to go. I don't blame Ten Hag for discipling him this season.

It's disappointing as I'm sure we all had such high hopes for him. But I think we bought the wrong player at the wrong time and didn't do our due diligence on helping integrate him into the side.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The Sancho situation was caused by Ed woodwork. Over paying a player. No duel diligence to find out he is lazy in training. Eth did as best as he could giver the hand he was played. I though he has handled the situation brilliantly.

I feel given how he binned Ronald, which also was brillant, that no matter what eth does you will be against him.

Fact is eth came into a mess. And imo has done a fantastic job dealing with it. I'm excited to see what happens when he gets it all sorted.

I don't know if you remember how SAF delt with pogba the first time. But he was pretty public about how unhappy he was with he agent and pogba. When you have a certain type of player you need to act accordingly. So I don't agree with you analysis.
It’s ok to disagree, but truth speaks. We are in deep shite under ETH management now, and turns out Fergie was right about Pogba too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some of the stick Jadon has received on here are unjustified, He goes out of his way to talk to staff, unlike some players, always in a happy mood and since he was moved out of the first team he has gotten his head down and got on with it, he was moved into the academy for months then in the past couple of weeks he was moved back into the u21s, we all thought he was getting ready to be moved back into the first team due to antonys performances, hope he does well in Germany and comes back in the summer when ETH has left the club
All that is good, how about on field performance and also apparently lack of training performance.

People are not blaming or criticizing Sancho for being a shit human, it's for professionalism and performance.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Longish shot but I think he’ll come back in the summer after an unspectacular loan and Brailsford will hire some psychologist and a minder to get him up for and into training and whatever else he needs to reach peak performance. If he gets the mental side right he’s got all the tools. If he shines at Dortmund and doesn’t diss Utd during this loan I think there’s a way back if INEOS want him and the manager to make up. I think he’ll want to be part of us going forward with new owners. Nobody is going to pay him the same as us either. I back the manager getting him out and laying down a marker but a determined and focused Sancho could still be a really good player. If he comes back and knuckles down they’ve both won.

glasgow 21

Longish shot but I think he’ll come back in the summer after an unspectacular loan and Brailsford will hire some psychologist and a minder to get him up for and into training and whatever else he needs to reach peak performance. If he gets the mental side right he’s got all the tools. If he shines at Dortmund and doesn’t diss Utd during this loan I think there’s a way back if INEOS want him and the manager to make up. I think he’ll want to be part of us going forward with new owners. Nobody is going to pay him the same as us either. I back the manager getting him out and laying down a marker but a determined and focused Sancho could still be a really good player. If he comes back and knuckles down they’ve both won.
If , maybe , hope and wish will lead to disappointment. The only wish I have is someone is daft enough to buy him after pulling the wool over some coaches eyes on load at Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.