Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roma just signed Kumbulla, are they still after Smalling?
Yes. Their coach said in the papers this morning that he hopes Smalling will be back with them in a few days. That will be the 20m or so we need to top up the Sancho deal.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They probably did since the CB that they brought is through a two years loan with a purchase option.
Fonseca was quoted saying he talks to Smalling all the time and they're working on it, I think they will edge closer to our price and we'll accept around £15m

Amir

I still think they value profits over trophies (like the Glazers) and would be happy to sell if we put £108m on the negotiating table. Not sure we will though
They were close to going bust not that long ago, and have learned from it. The know they have a ceiling and aren't going to endanger their future for trophies which they might not win anyway.

They're a brilliantly run club with a team that plays regularly plays lovely football and develops players beatifully despite those limits. They are worthy of respect, not ridicule.

Josep Dowling

We’ve made a lot of mistakes. However Fellaini is firmly on Moyes. He was insistent on a double deal of Fellaini and Baines, and we pursued that instead of just going for Fellaini at his release clause.

Very sensible post. It’s as if a large proportion of favs don’t understand that this pandemic will gave an impact on everyone’s finances for a generation. There is an incredible amount of uncertainty, which is still there. The north of England is pretty much in lockdown. United lose £5m every game that’s played behind closed doors.

This is in no way a normal summer, yet people seemingly ignore the blindingly obvious implications that corona is having on our finances in the short and long term.
It’s a valid point but the club knew for months Sancho would cost mega bucks. Surely knowing this you target options for RW until such time there is more certainty in the market? We need options at RW above anything. Greenwood and James are not naturally RW for starters.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What pisses me of the most is not that we didn't sign Sancho (yet) but the fact that getting CL place gives us 60 ish mln and also we didn't get punished by adidas and chevy for not getting to CL few times in a row. So that is around 100 mln and we can not afford to pay BvB what they ask for.

If we fail to finish in top 4, and lose those 100 mln, he will be here already and then somehow the money won't be a problem.

If you add to that 50 ish mln saved from Sanchez wages it just does not make any sense...

As long as United will earn enough to pay their debts, and pay dividends they will be happy, if we start to earn less being poor in terms of performances then this will be only reason to invest.

Our needs (fans) and their are totally different.

I don't know what is the difference in terms of income between finishing 3 in PL and going out in 1/8 or 1/4 of CL versus winning both trophies but unless its worth more than 108 mln plus wages it looks like its not likely to happen.

So from Ole POV getting us playing that well in the restart gives him lesser chance to strengthen our team. So to build a better team and play the way he and we want he need to play bad...

A Little like Grealish helping Villa stay in PL and blocking his transfer to a better team because of his value sky rocket after that.
The thing is that our owners, ED & Judge seem happy if we just make it to the 4th place and that's all.
They have no boiling blood in their veins for our club like we do!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fonseca was quoted saying he talks to Smalling all the time and they're working on it, I think they will edge closer to our price and we'll accept around £15m
"wuup2?"
"nm just brushed my teeth, u?"

Which rival clubs have signed big this window? We've got Chelsea, who signed no one last window and were banned the window before, and they're still sitting on more than £100m they got for Hazard. Who else?

Fun fact: As things stand, only Chelsea have a bigger net spend than us this window when it comes to top 6 clubs.
Stop this sort of fact based rational post.

I think it's more how they treat their players. They don't stop them leaving if that's their wish. They just demand top dollar.

But they don't go out of their way to sell them clearly like some suggest.

Are we going to pay 108m? Can't see it.
Dortmund have to sell their players, as it’s part of the attraction for them joining in the first place.

Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham don’t want to stay at the club long term. They want to go there, know they will get games in a less pressurised environment, get guaranteed CL games and then move to a big club.

If they aren’t able to move to a big club, then these young players won’t go there in the first place. There’s nothing special about the club, it’s just a stepping stone. The club knows that. Players they buy know that. Players who want those players know it.

gajender

Yes. Their coach said in the papers this morning that he hopes Smalling will be back with them in a few days. That will be the 20m or so we need to top up the Sancho deal.
I don't think it would help in our Sancho Pursuit that much , Even if we sell Smalling for 20 m which is highly doubtful we would most probably get 5 m as most deals are done in installments but Dortmund seem to want major money upfront for Sancho.

It’s a valid point but the club knew for months Sancho would cost mega bucks. Surely knowing this you target options for RW until such time there is more certainty in the market? We need options at RW above anything. Greenwood and James are not naturally RW for starters.
It’s just Fellaini was 100% on Moyes. We have made lots of other mistakes. I agree that we know Sancho will cost a lot of money. However, the fact we still pursuing him means we still think it can be done - we can’t move onto other option whilst there’s a chance we can get this done.

Andersons Dietician

I think Smalling is staying at United next season honestly. Roma probably felt United were asking too much for him.
Supposedly their first offer was 8million pounds. 8 million pounds for a defender who was one of the best in Seria A last year. Ed was right to send them packing. They’d be lucky to get Phil Jones for that.

Supposedly we want 15, which if we get it I would imagine will go towards the Sancho funds.

United58

They were close to going bust not that long ago, and have learned from it. The know they have a ceiling and aren't going to endanger their future for trophies which they might not win anyway.

They're a brilliantly run club with a team that plays regularly plays lovely football and develops players beatifully despite those limits. They are worthy of respect, not ridicule.
I'm not ridiculing them.

Josep Dowling

Supposedly their first offer was 8million pounds. 8 million pounds for a defender who was one of the best in Seria A last year. Ed was right to send them packing. They’d be lucky to get Phil Jones for that.

Supposedly we want 15, which if we get it I would imagine will go towards the Sancho funds.
Their first offer was 13 million euros which was crap. Think that works out around £10 million. Liverpool just sold a young prospect with no match time for more.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
First time I’m wavering. I think we’ll not sign him.

RUCK4444

I think Smalling is staying at United next season honestly. Roma probably felt United were asking too much for him.
You ask any Italian team other than Inter to part with actual money for a player and they think it’s too much. They probably wanted us to let him go for free ‘because he likes it there.’

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
About 160 more posts to break the longest thread record.. THAT is the point where Ed makes the bid. We all know it. Today’s the day. HSD

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Stop this sort of fact based rational post.

Dortmund have to sell their players, as it’s part of the attraction for them joining in the first place.

Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham don’t want to stay at the club long term. They want to go there, know they will get games in a less pressurised environment, get guaranteed CL games and then move to a big club.

If they aren’t able to move to a big club, then these young players won’t go there in the first place. There’s nothing special about the club, it’s just a stepping stone. The club knows that. Players they buy know that. Players who want those players know it.
Do we have to be so arrogant about other teams not named Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern or Real Madrid?

Dortmund are big club who get 70k fans at every single home game, have one of the top supporters in Europe, legendary stadium with great atmosphere, have won CL once and been to the final more recently than us. Obviously they don’t have the same revenue or global recognition but they are not some tiny club who should bow down to the big guys and let their players move at a price that the ‘big clubs’ deem appropriate.

If they feel Sancho is worth €120m and are confident they can get that value elsewhere in the future, and he’s content to stay with them for one or two more reasons, then it’s their right.

I truly hate it how some of our fans seem to think there are literally 4 worthwhile clubs outside of Premier League.

Do we have to be so arrogant about other teams not named Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern or Real Madrid?

Dortmund are big club who get 70k fans at every single home game, have one of the top supporters in Europe, legendary stadium with great atmosphere, have won CL once and been to the final more recently than us. Obviously they don’t have the same revenue or global recognition but they are not some tiny club who should bow down to the big guys and let their players move at a price that the ‘big clubs’ deem appropriate.

If they feel Sancho is worth €120m and are confident they can get that value elsewhere in the future, and he’s content to stay with them for one or two more reasons, then it’s their right.
There’s no arrogance.

Their model is to attract players who want to use Dortmund as a stepping stone to a big club. To attract those players, they need to sell them. Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham don’t go there with the intention of staying there.

They have been actively trying to sell him all summer.

dal

This. I don't understand how the other bigger clubs wrap up their deals days after the window opens or sometimes even before (Werner, Ziyech, Ake, Torres etc) and yet united take forever. Take for example Havertz at Chelsea. Yes that took longer than the above mentioned deals, but there was no saga, it dragged on a couple of weeks and then was signed, Havertz was in training and able to start the first game of the season. Surely United knew the asking price for Sancho before this window opened, they also must have known what they are willing to pay so what is the point in dragging it out for months only to get fleeced in October for a player who has no pre-season with the team and comes into a squad 3/4 games into its season, all for the same price as you could have had him at the start of August? Makes absolutely no business sense.
Because it’s a huge transfer and when paying that amount of money you have to negotiate or try to negotiate even if it’s to satisfy shareholders.

We’ve brought in AWB, Maguire, Bruno, VDB and when we get Sancho this window we will be very well positioned even if it is after our first game.

Van Persie, Rooney, Berbatov, the best always take longer to sign especially for us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Because it’s a huge transfer and when paying that amount of money you have to negotiate or try to negotiate even if it’s to satisfy shareholders.

We’ve brought in AWB, Maguire, Bruno, VDB and when we get Sancho this window we will be very well positioned even if it is after our first game.

Van Persie, Rooney, Berbatov, the best always take longer to sign especially for us.
Indeed and we did those in much more stable times.
Losing out on £5m every home game plus the rest has to be factored

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

I truly hate it how some of our fans seem to think there are literally 4 worthwhile clubs outside of Premier League.
Agreed to a point.

Sancho is their player, they've developed him and have a contract. If Sancho is happy to respect that and not kick up a fuss Dortmund are in a strong position.

Why shouldn't they set their price?

But it's true they know that players they develop will most likely move on. It's a fairly well established model...if they get 3 years or so out of a player and a hefty profit they are operating well tbf.

I like Dortmund, as a club and think their support is quality.

MrSingh2002

We'll offer the money cos Ed always does. Even for players he knows we can't get. Question is whether Dortmund accept.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We'll offer the money cos Ed always does. Even for players he knows we can't get. Question is whether Dortmund accept.
We waited a year for Maguire and 6 months for Bruno. Im not entirely convinced we pay up this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.