Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posh Red

That’s up there with making money from extra shirt sales.

Sancho is not a high profile player. Most people in the UK have probably never seen him play, and he’s only got a handful of caps. Stick him in a line up and most wouldn’t even know who he is.

Compare Sancho to Bale, and Bale is is a high profile player.

That’s not to say he’s not a fantastic player, with great potential.

Man Utd buying Sancho will have minimal effect on sponsorship. We get sponsorship because of the club, and the name. The occasional players makes a real difference, but those are the players of the magnitude of Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.
Surely you have to account for the players profile though? He might not be the most marketable now, but he has more marketing potential that almost anyone I can think of if he comes to United.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thing is, I really don't think Dortmund give a feck if we are struggling to pay what they want due to Covid, or whatever reason. If we are still, after all this time, attempting to get them to reevaluate, we truly are as clueless as people seem to think when just about every fecking reliable outlet has confirmed they will continue to tell us to get fecked for anything under their value

If they were desperate to sell, they wouldn't have forced us to go through intermediaries who had a hard stance on valuation and Dortmund wouldn't have left it to the last 2 weeks of the window to begin being open to negotiate, potentially destabilising their season

That being said though, I'd hope we are smarter than that and knew this, which is why I think this was dead a while ago. It's no surprise that they were probably loving the social media presence as a result of being continuously linked to him, they've even admitted that they appreciate being linked to players they have no interest in in the past etc. due to the social media presence it accompanies.

It was always a matter of pay the fee, or feck off and as much as I'd love for us to do so and think any excuse these incompetent parasites could muster up is bullshit, it's not looking likely at this stage
Who knows? They may have a solid poker face and be doing all of this hoping to goodness we blink first. It's so hard to actually call, but I believe it's not a bluff and we will fold or come out empty-handed, personally.

Just, if you are going to play this showdown out, you've got to do it right, on both sides with no flinching or signs you're about to buckle. For that reason, this being wrapped up with time to spare looks completely unlikely.

The fans can twist themselves up in knots, but the reality is there's a fair amount of days left before this goes from amber to red.

3KDré

But as it stands I genuinely do not understand what they are up to leaving us short as the season starts, and letting this drag so long.
It would not surprise at all if Woodward and co wait till the end of the window to do the big money transfers to get more social media attention.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
What are they?
Pretty much that the club intends to progress at the current rate, but the club also needs to be responsible with finances and wont throw stupid money around at the moment.

Doesn't really say things aren't happening, but rather he's indicating that the club wont just match transfer fees because of what another club asks in the current climate.

Personally I think this deal is done but is subject to agreement on the terms of the payment which is what is holding this up.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I think it's the squad that just needs expenditure to have a competitive 11 and strength in depth to compete on the highest stages of football. Unfortunately, we've wasted a vast amounts of sums on flops and people not even good enough sat on higher wages than they'd get anywhere else.

United have spent high on a lot of players regardless the manager: di Maria, Lukaku, Pogba, Maquire.

Unfortunately, what happens is a manager comes in spends a bit to get top 4. Then they stop getting signings waived on, we makes excuses. Rinse & repeat with new managers and you end up with a mish-mash squad of certain players not fitting into the style of the new manager. One thing is for certain, though. We haven't had a top class, proper winger on the right flank since Ronaldo. And although Sancho is still a prospect in a lot of sense, every United fan knows he'd fit Ole and United's attacking way of playing like a glove. Which is one of the reasons I got excited finishing top 4 this year, because of picturing the age and talent of the 3 forwards we already have and adding Sancho. I have learnt not to get too carried away with finishing projects of managers with this board.

It would be a state of intent kind of signing, hopefully it happens. But I'm 50/50. :houllier:
I m 80/20 that it will happen. No other clubs have spent over £100m on a single player this window and if we sign Sancho, our spending will start to look as ridiculous as Barcelona. Which is why I believe there is a delay in transfer fee agreement.

I disagree that we don’t have a competitive 11. Our current 11 is good enough to challenge for the league. Signing Sancho will have the van Persie effect that takes us over the line. We will have a great squad, but what happens if we come out this season with the same result as last season after spending so much on players? The board will start closing their checkbook. Ole need to inspire confidence that with Sancho, we can win the league and challenge for the champions league.

Rolaholic

I m 80/20 that it will happen. No other clubs have spent over £100m on a single player this window and if we sign Sancho, our spending will start to look as ridiculous as Barcelona. Which is why I believe there is a delay in transfer fee agreement.

I disagree that we don’t have a competitive 11. Our current 11 is good enough to challenge for the league. Signing Sancho will have the van Persie effect that takes us over the line. We will have a great squad, but what happens if we come out this season with the same result as last season after spending so much on players? The board will start closing their checkbook. Ole need to inspire confidence that with Sancho, we can win the league and challenge for the champions league.
I would've agreed before the summer but Liverpool's XI just upgraded with Thiago and Chelsea have pretty much erased whatever gap existed between our first XI and theirs so it feels like we might have at best the 3rd, at worst the 4th best XI in the league right now.

Sancho in attack would put us right back up there though

Fox outside the box

Surely you have to account for the players profile though? He might not be the most marketable now, but he has more marketing potential that almost anyone I can think of if he comes to United.
I wouldn't say he's not very marketable, at all. Already been one of the faces of Fifa and is a well known/popular player regardless of how many people have watched him for 90 minutes. Not to mention that a trio of Rashford, Mason and Sancho could be a forward 3 for both club and Country, all similar ages and very appealing from a brand/marketing point of view.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Pretty much that the club intends to progress at the current rate, but the club also needs to be responsible with finances and wont throw stupid money around at the moment.

Doesn't really say things aren't happening, but rather he's indicating that the club wont just match transfer fees because of what another club asks in the current climate.

Personally I think this deal is done but is subject to agreement on the terms of the payment which is what is holding this up.
Didn’t see that but not unreasonable from Woodie in fairness, hopefully we get it done but if Dortmund don’t budge I personally wouldnt blame the club from walking away from the deal.

Red71

And Lingard, and Jones etc etc etc. Its clear we are being miss managed.

Yes because its not about 1 window, we have seen this for many windows and we are shite at transfers and until the people in charge are changed (Woodward/Judge) then we will continue to be crap
Now we’re shite at transfers [full stop!]...alright! Let’s leave it there. Black and white for you. I’m not going to try and convince you otherwise and you’re only going to get more entrenched in your position if I try.

Like I said, I see a ton of posters on here with the glass 2/3rds empty and knocking the club they support which is a shame...I wish I had your inside knowledge of all of the discussions we have with the other clubs so I could be so sure how crap we are...

Come on Ed, land us Sancho and we might convert a few that we’re getting our act together (not Cassidy though...).

It’s not really a consideration for Utd. It’s all about the club, not individual players.

Certainty he won’t make the club extra money in terms of sponsorship. The original point that was being made is that the fee didn’t matter because the club would Make it back through increased sponsorship revenues, that’s just not the case.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

As long as we're in the top 4, it's about making up quite a bit of points to close the gap. 80+ points would be a very clear indication that we're progressing.

Bratt

Noticing Sancho's no longer on the men's apparel page on the official Dortmund site. You'll see him on the menu rollover but he's gone from the rest of the page.
Was he there like yesterday or a couple of days ago? You know?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Can't say I agree that this first 11 is good enough to win the league, but I get that there is quality and hopefully they continue to develop.

The issue is 11 don't win you the league, they haven't in 30 odd years. Quality throughout your squad wins you league titles unless you get the mother of all luck.

It would not surprise at all if Woodward and co wait till the end of the window to do the big money transfers to get more social media attention.
How would that get more social media attention? Most transfers are don’t in the last week, so at that point any big transfer will get less attention, and the news cycle will move in very quickly to the next deal.

No one is delaying a transfer to get extra likes on social media. Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

MattyB1986

I agree with you that our 11 is competitive, and no doubt if we was to sit and write it out, I bet the vast majority of us would all have the same 11. I think this is what Ole was trying to show the board last year, towards the end, even when that 11 didn't have any fitness cards. :lol: He didn't trust the full squad. To be competitive on both the league and CL you need real depth. The signing of VDB may have addressed this problem in midfield.

I'm pretty worried that an injury to Greenwood, Martial or Rashford, with the options in those positions after is a dramatic decline in actual quality. If we can get lucky like Liverpool have done last few years and avoid serious injuries to key players, then yeah, our 11 that picks itself is definitely good enough to compete.

UncleBob

Not sure the point you're making here is, because eBay would be the perfect example of what's going on as brinkmanship on auctions goes down to literal seconds before closure. Unless someone puts down a massive inital bid on it, they won't be the one coming out with the item some days later.
The point is that only in rare cases are bids actually made unless you know they will be accepted....

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Now we’re shite at transfers [full stop!]...alright! Let’s leave it there. Black and white for you. I’m not going to try and convince you otherwise and you’re only going to get more entrenched in your position if I try.

Like I said, I see a ton of posters on here with the glass 2/3rds empty and knocking the club they support which is a shame...I wish I had your inside knowledge of all of the discussions we have with the other clubs so I could be so sure how crap we are...

Come on Ed, land us Sancho and we might convert a few that we’re getting our act together (not Cassidy though...).
Well we definitely have been crap based on the past 5 years (especially in getting rid of deadwood). Only time will tell if we have improved and one window wont show that will it. Yes you are right no point trying to convince anyone, the results is the only thing that can do that.

Its not about inside knowledge everything that I have been speaking about is public knowledge, or did you think Woodward speaking about getting in a Director of Football (not that I even want one) was just for laughs?

Red71

This makes a lot of sense to me...

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Didn't want to have to ask but can you embed autoplaying Youtube videos on here?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lets just buy Perisic for 15 mil and see what will happen next year. Perisic would be very useful buy for us. And cheap

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I would've agreed before the summer but Liverpool's XI just upgraded with Thiago and Chelsea have pretty much erased whatever gap existed between our first XI and theirs so it feels like we might have at best the 3rd, at worst the 4th best XI in the league right now.

Sancho in attack would put us right back up there though
Still not convinced with Chelsea. They didn’t improve their defense and their signings didn’t impress on day one. I don’t see them having an impact as significant as Bruno did with us. It seems more like they have closed the gap with our 11 only slightly. Liverpool signing Thiago is good business, but we signed DVDB. Thiago didn’t command a huge fee for a reason, and their defense seems to be getting leakier. They can be caught and as Leeds showed, they are vulnerable in the back.
As long as we're in the top 4, it's about making up quite a bit of points to close the gap. 80+ points would be a very clear indication that we're progressing.
True, but at United and most fans on here has been saying, trophies are more key than point tally progression. We aren’t Spurs.

bsCallout

We're paying for the sins Woodward has made in the past. They're all on big contracts and barely 2 or 3, who is going to pay a transfer fee and their wages? We've overpaid on mediocrity and this is where we find outselves.
Are they really all on big contracts?

Chief123

Are they really all on big contracts?
They are on big contracts in terms of wages. They are getting paid more than any other club would pay them. The likes of Lingard and Jones getting over £100k a week would not happen at any other club because they are crap. Even shaw is reported to be on £250k a week. I like Shaw but I don’t see any other club paying him that much.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Dortmund kick off the same time as us, imagine if we go behind and Sancho puts Dortmund ahead. Oh the scenes

Andersons Dietician

If he drops a, “I don’t feel in the right head space to be able to play tonight“ this thread is gonna go crazy. Run a black light through the many pages and it’ll look like a Jackson Pollock.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He played in the cup last weekend, no reason to think he won't start today

Red71

Well we definitely have been crap based on the past 5 years (especially in getting rid of deadwood). Only time will tell if we have improved and one window wont show that will it. Yes you are right no point trying to convince anyone, the results is the only thing that can do that.

Its not about inside knowledge everything that I have been speaking about is public knowledge, or did you think Woodward speaking about getting in a Director of Football (not that I even want one) was just for laughs?
In terms of public knowledge, you mean paper talk. Neither of us know what was behind the things you’ve written about.

As for the director of football, again, who knows. There might be a 1001 reasons why we’ve not appointed one yet but the only reason that a majority want to accept is that we’re crap. Anyway, if the top quality players keep arriving, I couldn’t give a monkeys as to whether or not we get one.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In terms of public knowledge, you mean paper talk. Neither of us know what was behind the things you’ve written about.

As for the director of football, again, who knows. There might be a 1001 reasons why we’ve not appointed one yet but the only reason that a majority want to accept is that we’re crap. Anyway, if the top quality players keep arriving, I couldn’t give a monkeys as to whether or not we get one.
No our actual transfers and contract renewals announced by the club itself.. Clearly you have no idea what I am talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.