Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkydaz

[QUOTE="Sphaero, post: 26182038, member: 70116"

Let´s be real here for a second, the whole base of this saga was the before mentioned agreement. The willingness by Dortmund to open a window of opportunity to sign Sancho. Nobody took advantage of it so the matter was closed from Dortmunds side. United tried to chance their mind, it did not work. The rest of this whole saga was the English Sport press and Twitter "experts" fabricating vague statements to generate clicks, follows and retrweets.
[/QUOTE]
Yep. Squeeze a United story till the end

tjb

I don't think this thread is open for much longer and I'm pretty spent, so I'll bow out of a full reply.

Suffice it to say the clubs you cited, it's not a litany of disastrous transfer windows being compounded by a nadir like we've had now. Fans are at the end of their tether with how things are being handled and I think this 'saga' is the straw that broke the camel's back, not even for failing to land the player, but for how we've conducted ourselves and how scatterbrained we've been in the fallout.

Woodward is ripe for the picking because of compound interest/failure with this being his masterpiece; the ridicule and very probable downright lies that will come his/our way have been earned, unfortunately.

I don't think there's a way to spin this that doesn't make it look like a disaster. If we had a number and couldn't go beyond it, kill the story and move on, otherwise, why sign all those players before securing your #1 target - those funds getting you over the line in reaching the valuation. None of it makes sense.
If depth is our major issue, then those transfer help us now. However, I do understand where you are coming from. We all want a director of football at least and at best get Woodward out. The only problem is that, the cloud of negativity from both media and fans even before the season started affects the players and manager too.

Siorac

They did not really do that? They did not speak about a potential Sancho transfer unprovoked since they called it off on August 11th. What you call "running their mouth off" was them answering interview questions with the same mantra over and over again: that Sancho stays this season. The only thing they started to add towards the end of the window was the confirmation of what they had already communicated via their media mouth piece Röckenhaus in the beginning of August: the existence of an agreement between player and club that if their terms (120 Miil. € until August 10th) were met, he was allowed to leave.

Let´s be real here for a second, the whole base of this saga was the before mentioned agreement. The willingness by Dortmund to open a window of opportunity to sign Sancho. Nobody took advantage of it so the matter was closed from Dortmunds side. United tried to chance their mind, it did not work. The rest of this whole saga was the English Sport press and Twitter "experts" fabricating vague statements to generate clicks, follows and retrweets.
Basically, that "Dortmund say NEIN" thread title should have been left up because, as the less optimistic among us kept saying, the matter was pretty much decided back then.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Guessing United will miss the boat on this kid and he'll eventually end up at Barca or Real, or maybe Bayern, or perhaps Inter or Juve, or possibly Chelsea or Liverpool.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If depth is our major issue, then those transfer help us now. However, I do understand where you are coming from. We all want a director of football at least and at best get Woodward out. The only problem is that, the cloud of negativity from both media and fans even before the season started affects the players and manager too.
It has to be noted that Sancho covers 3 positions and afford any one of our frontline or even Bruno to rest whilst seamlessly slotting into that role. Him alone, would've gone a long, long way to flexibility and options. As is, if Rashford goes down - which is not improbable - we're in huge trouble, for example.

Telles could've been done post securing Sancho.

And yes indeed: Woodward has crushed morale for the whole club with his handling of the window. Quite a feat and something else to add to his CV.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sure, but it's not that in isolation I have an issue with.

Its the no mark upside down head waiting until October 5th when the deal is absolutely dead to reveal to everyone how, actually, he knew everything all along, how United were stupid for this reason and that reason, and another reason, and he can reveal it all, now, when there's absolutely no way whatsoever for it to backfire on him. A quick scour of his Twitter feed shows no indication he shared any of these insider scoops when they actually occured.

When you consider how the story he's telling is liberally sprinkled with just the exact sort of anti-United clickbait that sounds sort of plausible, but is ultimately unverifiable, and consider that he's a Liverpool fan, alarm bells should be ringing.

That's not to say we're not a fantastically incompetent club, we've seen more than enough to know we are already, but because we are it gives chancers the opportunity to write fan fiction about us, too. Everything about this whifs of the latter, and that can be true AND Sancho can be incredibly unlikely to ever play for us.

I would say his way of telling the story is rather fair. E.g. as far as I remember there was a concentration of "the deadline is artificial" reports from relatively serious British papers days or even hours, before Dortmund's officials came out and basically staked their honor on him staying, you still see that phrase on every other page here. I take the rest of his thread as more of a critique of the media and the suckers who buy their drama than something anti United.
Of course it's entirely possible he's just milking this story for the last drop of twitter transfer fortune telling, especially if he suddenly popped up out of nowhere with insights. But to be honest I don't care enough to go through his posting history.

Strats

At least I won’t have to get pissed off every time Fjørtofts name comes up anymore

Glorio

United haven't covered themselves with glory here.

That said, that fee was way too high in this climate, let's be honest, and I'm not so convinced about the generational talent tag in fairness. There was a sizeable risk that he could have underwhelmed, much like Dembele, Mikhi, Kagawa, etc, even with his numbers, particularly as Dortmund play a system that makes players look a lot better than their individual talent, and Jadon hasn't looked extra special with England.

He is a class player, but I'm just not sure he's so good, and would definitely elevate us so much that we shell out £100M in the middle of a pandemic.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway :lol:

I do like him though, and I hope we get another run at him. We have another year to plan and either get this right, or bite the bullet and walk away.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
So I really hope this just means we're gonna agree a contract in January and he signs in summer for free.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Beginning to look a little unlikely at this point.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I have to seriously keep myself from gloating because I believe a small number of posters kind of had it coming. However it very much feels like kicking someone when they are down.

I am definitely happy to keep him though I really was rather sure he would stay. You never know though in football so a small uncertainty was always there, especially when following this thread where a lot of theories were thrown around.

I would not attribute the teams performance in the last two matches to him not playing. I was actually very happy to see that they were able to cope without him so well. I mean realistically he won't be here for more than the coming season. Concerning his talent and how I would expect him to do outside of Dortmund? Honestly I am not sure I have ever seen a player this mature at his age (footballing wise). The only one I was this sure about was Götze and we saw how that turned out :lol: (he did have health issues though). Keep in mind that at 31 I am not that old ;) I just think that his talents should translate to any league rather well. He is strong at beating a man or two, he has a brilliant eye for his teammates and he rarely makes a wrong decision under pressure. It is a joy to watch him play and I will follow his career wherever it may take him. That said, I believe any player in the world can be made to look shit when used in a setup that robs him of his strengths or when played in a team that does not perform as a unit. One thing I believe is very important for the management in Dortmund is to buy players that fit the playing style of the team and the philosophy of the club. If the team does not form a cohesive unit any player will have problems.

So overall, I don't watch overly much football from Italy, France or Spain, but I honestly believe Sancho is already one of the best players in the world in his position. I think any team should count themselves lucky to have him join them one day and if it does not work out it will not only be down to the player.
Cheers for the detailed answer and yeah those are kind of my thoughts.

I was only a bit afraid, considering our team doesn't look that cohesive, that he might struggle a bit if transfer went through and it is an awful lot of money. But, that wouldn't be on Sancho then, but more on the manager and coaches to fix it. He definitely looks like the best talent in his age group and already one of the best in his position in the world and we really might end up regretting this one badly for years to come. All that in a position we desperately needed to strengthen.

Enjoy him for another year at least then. Oh, and don't gloat. There is so much doom and gloom around our club atm even if we exclude this transfer and its failure. :)

Last edited:

K_Ash

I was told that Mason was the next RVP..starting from the Wing to eventually move to the 9?! The project is still fully on. Sancho would have compromised that project

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Think I’m going to go to bed now, going to wake up to some good news in the morning.

starman

BREAKING NEWS: Apparently an 120m offer just went in, lets see if Dortmund accepts in time before the deadline..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See you in 3 months;

Actually now we've given Cavani the 7 shirt looks like this is over for good. What a shame.

United are too bad to be true.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
See you in 3 months;

Actually now we've given Cavani the 7 shirt looks like this is over for good. What a shame.

United are too bad to be true.
We signed Cavani for 2 years. Other number are also available. It's just a number which can be changed whenever we want to

Status
Not open for further replies.