Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyLuke10

I hope we get CL next season & can genuinely compete for this kid.

Forward options: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Ighalo, Sancho, James, Mata

Midfield: Matic, Fred, Scott, Fernandes, Pogba/Saul
I honestly don't think whether or not we get CL will matter much in our attempt to get Sancho. As long as there is a good vibe about the club and positivity for the project and direction we are heading in, like there has been since we signed Bruno (specifically since the Chelsea win). In other words, assuming this season gets finished - things cannot finish disastrously. If we were to come very close but fall short, I still reckon Sancho would want to come.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo was just as fast as Bale and quicker off the line.

Salah, Neymar and Messi are very different pace wise. Strange comparisons. Firmino isn't even close to being fast though.
No chance. Ronaldo was quick. But Bale was absurdly fast, different level.

NoPace

He seems like a great fit as the chief supplier for Greenwood and Rashford considering their strengths and weaknesses, as he's a clever passer on the ground and those two are more about shooting than getting on the ends of crosses.

---------------------Martial---------------------- (Greenwood)
Rashford--------Bruno----------Sancho (James)

looks pretty exciting. Not a ton of depth but Sancho could back up Bruno and James comes. 6 guys for 4 starting spots, if we play 52 games (38 + 14 for cups and Europa League/CL) that's 208 starts, so basically 35 each or maybe closer to 40 for the starting 4 and 25 for James and Greenwood with lots of sub appearances if everyone is relatively healthy. Probably would want someone like Ighalo or another veteran striker but one could be found in January if need be and one of Gomes or Chong not on loan should be able to get a few minutes, or instead of a 6th attacker being a striker, one final year for Mata (fine), Lingard (ugh) or Pereira (same) if we can't grab a striker but there's really no reason they shouldn't be sold while they have value.

Then we just need to keep Pogba (or replace him with another creative #8), Fred, McTominay and either sell Matic and sign a younger DM who can play 45 times and the 2 holding spots should be covered well and sign an LB to challenge Shaw and we're in decent shape? Maybe a CB too depending on your Bailly/Lindelof views. Thats' a doable summer, though it gets tougher if Pogba leaves and we don't get a proper player in a swap back. If we get someone injury prone or older like Ramsey back we need to keep Matic and sign a CM/DM.

Mark Pawelek

How would Dortmund putting out a rumour about Liverpool wanting to sell Mane/Salah get Liverpool in a bidding war. :houllier:
Don't know. But who knows what goes on in the minds of agents and club bosses? I'm pretty sure that 95% of news media about transfers is BS, or what-if. BTW: United now employ at least one full-time publicist. You need to direct your question to one of them.

Mark Pawelek

I dont think we will pay more than 90 million for him. He is a great attacking player but just isnt worth that amount in my opinion. 120 million shows insane commitment to a player that doesn't have multiple silverware to his name. Personally the only way I would pay 120 for an attacker like him was if he had Daniel james pace. His playmaking abilities with that sort of pace would be game breaking in this league.
More an issue of not having the money than what we'll pay. United recently lost lots of TV money and sponsorship. The virus lock down is going to cost every club hundreds of millions. United are still massively in debt. There comes a point when bankers and accountants have more of a say in transfers than managers, scouts and coaches. We're long past that point. Two scenarios I imagine where United buy Sancho: either DeGea or Pogba are sold to raise the funds; in addition to whoever else we can sell. Who can afford to buy either?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't mind the only one player we sign this summer is Sancho.

Imagine this line:

Fred
Bruno Pogba
Sancho Martial Rashford
Absolutely breathtaking, Bruno and Pogba will keep supplying Sancho, Martial and Rashford with quality pass. And Sancho, Martial, Rashford are all very fast and skilful and can easily score 20-25+ goals each.

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Similar to Bruno, he will take us up a level as he would solve a big hole in our starting eleven. We have been without a proper right winger for ages, let alone one of Sacho's quality. A team with him, Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Pogba and someone holding looks scary on paper.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I see the space he gets in Bundesliga and I get sceptical about how well he'd do in the Prem.

But still, a right winger is a right winger.

Fahad Jawaid

If we sign him i think we will have enough cover in the front three positions with Martial, Rashford and Sancho starting and James, Greenwood and Ighalo as bench options is very handy.

In the midfield Bruno, Pogba and Fred is also scarily good. However the back ups for Bruno and Pogba is poor and pointless with Mata, Lingard and Perriera Fred can be covered with Scott and Matic.

Therefore this is where Grealish comes in we can easily sell Lingard and Perriera and sign Grealish.

Our defence is fine with two defensive fullbacks and Maguire. We could improve on the other Cb. However i think we can go next season with Maguire and Bailly with Lindelof and Tuanzebe as backups.

Rolaholic

With Grealish proving himself to be quite the dickhead, would love if we focused all our efforts on him this summer...

Make it happen Woody!!!

SSSSnake

Omg are we really discussing pace and Sancho!? That’s not going to be an issue lads. He’s quick on the ball and has great acceleration.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He need stay at one more season because his current club are very excited team at the current moment
His current club will always be a ‘very exciting team’. It’s their M.O. He’s had his ‘excitement’. Now time for the real thing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I see the space he gets in Bundesliga and I get sceptical about how well he'd do in the Prem.

You have to look at the whys and wherefores of top teams to see why this isn't a particularly big issue. The better the team, the more unfeasible it is to contain the unit over a full game.

Rashford, Martial, Sancho
-----------------Bruno
-----Pogba

If you're not going 1on1 with those players and are doubling or tripling up on an isolated threat, you're leaving gaping holes for others to exploit, which is how top teams breach the dam before it eventually bursts its banks and overwhelms.

Sancho is a great passer and user of the ball. Even if he wasn't a dribbling, close control etc. talent, he could easily get by as a passer and mover. So drawing men in (them closing down and occupying space) simply opens up the field, via passing, for others to exploit, and if a FB and a CB have gone over to Sancho, there immediately materliases space for Bruno to run into, or Martial to go across to, which in turn sets off the chain reaction for their markers and our other players joining attacks whilst having their own men blindsided as they've turned towards the ball all the way over on the right side of the pitch.

Ask yourself which defence wants to be blindsided with Rashford on their outside and Pogba lurking 20 yards off the play. It's then a question of whether a side allows themselves to be drawn towards a single player and/or the ball, or keep their lines/banks compact and organised. Either way, space presents itself.

Sancho, or any player of that calibre, keeps opponents honest and really balances out an attack like ours. Trying to isolate any one of the aforementioned players come with a large element of risk, just as we've seen with other top attacks over the last few years.

Strelok

Those welsh are quick eh?
Definitely. Wonder between Giggs, Bale and James who is the fastest in their prime?

Still remember when Giggs first busted into the scene he seemed flying to me tbh, he was really really fast.

RedDevilRoshi

I don't mind the only one player we sign this summer is Sancho.

Imagine this line:

Fred
Bruno Pogba
Sancho Martial Rashford
Absolutely breathtaking, Bruno and Pogba will keep supplying Sancho, Martial and Rashford with quality pass. And Sancho, Martial, Rashford are all very fast and skilful and can easily score 20-25+ goals each.
I agree. Don’t mind it either if we end up signing just Sancho in the transfer window and keeping Pogba. First time for a while, we will look like we have a good balanced team.

ricky-romeo

Definitely. Wonder between Giggs, Bale and James who is the fastest in their prime?

Still remember when Giggs first busted into the scene he seemed flying to me tbh, he was really really fast.
Giggs in his teens and early 20s was super fast.
Those problem with his hamstring probably lost him a yard or so eventhough he was still fast.

RUCK4444

I’m a Cardiff boy myself, not that makes any difference to my opinion, however having seen them all live I would say prime Bale is the fastest by a distance. Then James and then Giggsy.

However Giggsy never needed to be electric to influence the game, he was levels above.

Bondi77

Did you watch Kanchelskis play?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he is Hazard-esque I have no problems with his speed/pace acceleration. I have hardly seen him play, but it seems some are concerned that he isn’t fast enough.
Hazard is the best fit to his style tbh.

They both are quick but more importantly use their balance/agility to beat a man. His top speed is good but not lightning fast, but he's more likely to be the ball carrier that feeds the final pass anyway. He's a dribbler.

markhughes

Andre was rapid for sure, the quickest Man Utd (first team) player that I am aware of is probably Valencia, he never really seemed THAT fast but actually he clocked a speed of 35.1 km/h, I read some where that Bale was the fastest player in the world at just shy of 37km/h! That is ridiculous speed for a footballer.

Usain Bolt's top speed though.....44.72 km/h, dear god.

OL29

No chance. Ronaldo was quick. But Bale was absurdly fast, different level.
I don’t think there was much in it either way, look at Ronaldo’s goal against Arsenal in the CL in 2009 or when he set up Rooney against Bolton in 2007. Prime Ronaldo was just as quick as Bale imo.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So the rumour circulating right now is that Sancho is coming to Manchester United regardless of CL, since he believes in the project here. And that Manchester United and Sanchos agents are discussing terms. BVB will play hardball with the valuation though, so this will be a lengthy one.

KennyBurner

I would have been more sceptical about this if we didnt already have creative players like Bruno, Pogba and Martial already in the team. The beauty of our transition is that we are currently close to the end game when it comes to team building. We have so many creative threats that doubling down on Sancho will be impossible because of Rashford and martial being open. The burden of him having to be a creative force is significantly lessened. I also see pogba having more pressure lifted off him if he were to stay.

KennyBurner

You have to look at the whys and wherefores of top teams to see why this isn't a particularly big issue. The better the team, the more unfeasible it is to contain the unit over a full game.

Rashford, Martial, Sancho
-----------------Bruno
-----Pogba

If you're not going 1on1 with those players and are doubling or tripling up on an isolated threat, you're leaving gaping holes for others to exploit, which is how top teams breach the dam before it eventually bursts its banks and overwhelms.

Sancho is a great passer and user of the ball. Even if he wasn't a dribbling, close control etc. talent, he could easily get by as a passer and mover. So drawing men in (them closing down and occupying space) simply opens up the field, via passing, for others to exploit, and if a FB and a CB have gone over to Sancho, there immediately materliases space for Bruno to run into, or Martial to go across to, which in turn sets off the chain reaction for their markers and our other players joining attacks whilst having their own men blindsided as they've turned towards the ball all the way over on the right side of the pitch.

Ask yourself which defence wants to be blindsided with Rashford on their outside and Pogba lurking 20 yards off the play. It's then a question of whether a side allows themselves to be drawn towards a single player and/or the ball, or keep their lines/banks compact and organised. Either way, space presents itself.

Sancho, or any player of that calibre, keeps opponents honest and really balances out an attack like ours. Trying to isolate any one of the aforementioned players come with a large element of risk, just as we've seen with other top attacks over the last few years.
Nice post. More detailed than mine. We have so many attacking/creative outlets that will make it costly to double/triple down on one individual player. I like how weve assembled this team through Mourinho and now Oles tenure. Sancho really is the missing piece. Its shame that this global pandemic has come at a time when it seems more certain we were actually back and fully equipped.

Adam-Utd

Of traore and sancho who is better dribbler? IMO traore is pacier and better dribbler.
better dribbler? not a chance. Traore can only run into space, that doesn't make him a great defender. Cut his straight lines off and he can't do much.

Macedonian Red

Of traore and sancho who is better dribbler? IMO traore is pacier and better dribbler.
Traore is pacier and better dribler. But he is poor at decision making. Sancho is far more better decision maker, better pass and shot and better tehnique. Better ball control too.

Sancho is better player but Traore is not far behind. If we somehow strugle to sign Sancho I will be satisfied if we go for Adama.

Handré1990

I don’t think there was much in it either way, look at Ronaldo’s goal against Arsenal in the CL in 2009 or when he set up Rooney against Bolton in 2007. Prime Ronaldo was just as quick as Bale imo.
Yeah, different level is far from the truth. While with us, there wasn’t much between Ronaldo and Bale. Difference is Ronaldo had it all, he used his speed when he thought best, Bale had shooting and speed as his best traits.

Strelok

Yes a bit but I was too young back then so I don't remember much tbh. However I don't think he impressed me as much as Giggs did. I still have some flashes of him flying in my head.

amolbhatia50k

Traore is pacier and better dribler. But he is poor at decision making. Sancho is far more better decision maker, better pass and shot and better tehnique. Better ball control too.

Sancho is better player but Traore is not far behind. If we somehow strugle to sign Sancho I will be satisfied if we go for Adama.
:lol: Not far behind?!

amolbhatia50k

He simply wasn't. Ronaldo was very quick. But he didn't have absurd pace in the way that Bale did or Mbappe does. When he Mbappe gets going he's in flight mode. IMO these players seem to have an extra gear of pace. That doesn't mean others can't gallop the length of the pitch or do great things with their pace.

Control, presence of mind etc are just as important when on the counter.

James Peril

Sancho, Bellingham, Grealish, Ighalo. That would be an epic transfer window.

For me Grealish is a must - we cannot rely on Pogba staying (even if he does, he'll be gone soon enough) and I certainly don't want to see Lingard or Pereira in the team if Fernandes needs a break/gets injured.
Only Sancho would be a certain starter out of this bunch, the rest is up for discussion. We are 5th in the table and having a terrible season, I would not put this down as epic at all. So we sign Ighalo, that leaves us with Martial and Ighalo as strikers - it leaves out signing a player to challenge Martial. And Greenwood of course. Good enough to win the PL and CL? Martial is lacking consistency, he is not the poacher we need. Bellingham? He is 16 isn’t he? Youth is awesome, but we need to think about here and now as well as tomorrow. Grealish to complement the rest? Great. To replace Pogba? Immediately we take one step back.

Getting Sancho would be sublime, I’m sold on him obviously, but we need better players in the first team to compete at the top level.

OverratedOpinion

Only Sancho would be a certain starter out of this bunch, the rest is up for discussion. We are 5th in the table and having a terrible season, I would not put this down as epic at all. So we sign Ighalo, that leaves us with Martial and Ighalo as strikers - it leaves out signing a player to challenge Martial. And Greenwood of course. Good enough to win the PL and CL? Martial is lacking consistency, he is not the poacher we need. Bellingham? He is 16 isn’t he? Youth is awesome, but we need to think about here and now as well as tomorrow. Grealish to complement the rest? Great. To replace Pogba? Immediately we take one step back.

Getting Sancho would be sublime, I’m sold on him obviously, but we need better players in the first team to compete at the top level.
We have had an up and down season but overall it has been very promising.

Also Bruno is Pogba's replacement.

El Zoido

We are not having a terrible season, we’ve been inconsistent like everyone else apart from Liverpool. We’re definitely on the up and that should be cause for optimism right now.

Adam-Utd

How would you describe good dribbling?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Sancho is multiple levels ahead.

Rolaholic

:lol: Not far behind?!
:lol:

Although Traore is good, Sancho has all the looks of a generational talent that could be challenging for the ballon d'or in a few years. He's put up comparable G+A #'s to Lionel fecking Messi over the past year and he's not even 20 :houllier:

I don't think Traore has ever had that type of ceiling even when he was coming through La Masia

croadyman

:lol:

Although Traore is good, Sancho has all the looks of a generational talent that could be challenging for the ballon d'or in a few years.

I don't think Traore has ever had that type of ceiling even when he was coming through La Masia
Yeah would be one of the most generational game changing signings we have made in years.

Rossa

I've not seen either of those things happen and while I don't have imperial evidence myself, just watching James this season I feel his pace isn't quite as fast as it's made out on here. Seen plenty of times that he's got away from a defender but not had that extra gear that puts daylight between him and the chasing defender. He's still absolutely rapid but it'd be surprised if he's much quicker than Rashford at top speed and a notch below someone like prime Bale or Mbappe.

I don't think James would be capable of the type of pace that Bale showed against Inter. Smaller players look quicker and have better acceleration (which is more important than top speed for the most part anyway) but there is a reason that the average WR sprinter over the last 120 years is 6ft4. When it comes to top speed, I'd always back the taller speed merchant to reach a higher speed beyond the first 20 yards.
Look at this one:

Giggs claiming James being the fastest player he had ever seen, also watching Bale every day, not evidence enough? I think it is clear that he is a fair bit faster in terms of acceleration than Bale and at least matches him for top speed. I actually think the runs Bale made against Inter are hyped. Maicon was just coming back from injury, and in later matches, Maicon pretty much matched Bale. Bale was very fast for sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.