Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

I am not thinking like a fan. I am in fact thinking like a business owner. If I was thinking like a fan would I give a shit how much money goes on a player?
Of course oil clubs wouldn't care they have billions. 200 million is peanuts but how many of those clubs are there - just a few and they are totally distorting things for the market.

Youre talking about a cant miss player being quantifiable but you have also cast hyperbolic aspersions on revenue streams that you cant possible know about.
Do you know the total cost of ownership for Messi vs Revenue he has directly brought into the Barcelona? same for Ronaldo? Wages + Transfer fee
How much does a club get for winning domestic league and the CL etc? How much of a shirt sale goes to the club when the complete supply chain have had their cut including players (image rights) and manufacturers ( Lions share)?
Clubs get only a fraction of the price a shirt sells for.

If you told me Sancho would have a stellar 15 year career in the worlds top 10 then of course you can plan for ROI to justify your investment, maybe sponsors would be lured in by his name in time, But there is no such thing as a sure thing so the businesses like United have to analyse the the potential ROI, from the football and the money side. Getting the Investment vs ROI number right is where its at - and there is no such thing as a sure thing. Sancho might be the next George Best - or the next Ravel Morrison. You just dont know and when you have to balance the money men and the football me it becomes complex.

Right now United Inc are in no position to be considering massive fees for players nor should they be and FYI I think you are off your rocker if you think Mbappe might fetch 350 million from Real Madrid. Maybe from an oil company as they are a law unto themselves but 300/350 mill for a player is just not sane.
Business is a risk vs. reward dynamic.

If you are risk averse, you won't buy Sancho. No guarantee he will pay off, true. That risk averse philosophy can permeate every decision made as a club, down to your most insignificant transfer fee. We paid 15m for Dan James -- will he pan out? That's the same risk, the numbers are just smaller.

I think we can agree that United won't stop buying and selling players as this is how football works -- you try to improve your team. If you say that we shouldn't OVERPAY for footballers, I agree with you. We should pay market prices. But given our aspirations as a club (PL titles, CL titles), we need a high level of talent throughout the squad, and elite talent is very, very expensive.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Business is a risk vs. reward dynamic.

If you are risk averse, you won't buy Sancho. No guarantee he will pay off, true. That risk averse philosophy can permeate every decision made as a club, down to your most insignificant transfer fee. We paid 15m for Dan James -- will he pan out? That's the same risk, the numbers are just smaller.

I think we can agree that United won't stop buying and selling players as this is how football works -- you try to improve your team. If you say that we shouldn't OVERPAY for footballers, I agree with you. We should pay market prices. But given our aspirations as a club (PL titles, CL titles), we need a high level of talent throughout the squad, and elite talent is very, very expensive.
Yeah agreed and we'll have the Man Utd tax as well.

Unless we get bought by an oil billions we're not at the very top table anymore.

But I do think it'll balance out eventually.

RUCK4444

Clubs have to spend to sustain any sort of consistency and that’s what ultimately pays the owners.

I hope beyond hope that the board back Ole again this summer especially in light of the form we were in prior to the season being halted.

Devil may care

If Sancho is the only deal we get done I'd be happy, I think we are a ways of challenging anyway so we can address midfield and a partner for Maguire later, even if it means stupid;ly playing Pogba in the double pivot we'd should still have enough to get top 4 and we can build from there. RW is the disease and Sancho is the cure....

Nigel Refalo

At this point we should start to consider moving for Zaha seriously as our main back up option.

In Rainbows

I'd be happy with just Sancho. Sancho is a player who just turned 20 with end product well beyond his years. Above all his technical ability is frightening and plays in a position of need. He's a potential United player for 10+ years who could form the core along with Greenwood, Rashford, Henderson, AWB, etc...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd be happy with just Sancho. Sancho is a player who just turned 20 with end product well beyond his years. Above all his technical ability is frightening and plays in a position of need. He's a potential United player for 10+ years who could form the core along with Greenwood, Rashford, Henderson, AWB, etc...
Sancho and Ighalo alone would be a great window. If Pogba also left, then it wouldn’t be nearly enough.

RUCK4444

Sancho and Ighalo alone would be a great window. If Pogba also left, then it wouldn’t be nearly enough.
This. I would snap your hand off now for Sancho, Ighalo and Pogba to remain.

That, all things considered, would be great window for us.

Strengthening three areas of the pitch, one of which is key (RW)
For now I’m quite happy with the rest of the starting 11 when fit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Zaha isn't elite, would be a waste of money. At least with James we know what he is.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Zaha isn't elite, would be a waste of money. At least with James we know what he is.
Also James' output and effort in his first transition season is far more encouraging than 'big fish' Zaha IMO. Also now that he got the goal after an awful drought I expect his confidence to rise. Ironic we had to have the break just as he did

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also James' output and effort in his first transition season is far more encouraging than 'big fish' Zaha IMO. Also now that he got the goal after an awful drought I expect his confidence to rise. Ironic we had to have the break just as he did
To be fair he had had more than enough time.

Nigel Refalo

No thanks. File him under ‘headless chicken’ along with Adama Traore please Nigel.
Harsh talk.. yes he needs to polish some aspects of his game but i'm convinced he got what it takes to succeed in a big club! Maybe not with United.

Time will tell i guess.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agreed.

vanderpants

in my opinion and listening to football financial experts in the media we could be in trouble if the COVID 19 virus lasts into next season, we could lose £200m in gate and TV revenue (they also said up to 50% of lower league clubs could go bust, I wouldn't put pass Ed not evening buying players this summer transfer window just to steady the ship. So a few months ago Jordan looked set for united but now there's a huge question mark.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Ah is this a we can't get him so no one else can either train of thought?
No. There is a global pandemic where players are being asked to defer wages and clubs are going bust, and then you really think signings of £100m etc will take place?

Woodward was being sensible and quite correct. To even think differently is just daft. You cannot blame any manager or club for refusing to pay money of that size for anyone in the next year or 2. Which is why it is entirely plausible that all these supposed big money deals, wont happen and the player will remain for an extra season

Rolaholic

Another tier 1 source shining a positive light on a potential move, he also said Dortmund haven't received any bids yet but that's to be expected given all the uncertainty with the global situation right now.

All in all sounds like the club are willing to do whatever it takes to get him whenever the market opens which is absolute music to my ears :drool:

I just hope we might have the possibility of CL footy on top of all the money in tandem for an offer he can't refuse

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I have been listening to it and he basically said it was almost a formality before Covid-19. However he doesn't think there will be any mega money moves this window coming up due to the pandemic and losses each club will have made.

He talks about swap deals being the go to choice this year between big clubs. Interesting.

Sancho won't join this summer. Can't see how we can justify 100m in the current climate.

SAFMUTD

Another tier 1 source shining a positive light on a potential move, he also said Dortmund haven't received any bids yet but that's to be expected given all the uncertainty with the global situation right now.

All in all sounds like the club are willing to do whatever it takes to get him whenever the market opens which is absolute music to my ears :drool:

I just hope we might have the possibility of CL footy on top of all the money in tandem for an offer he can't refuse
:drool::drool::drool: hopefully we get him Fabrizio is tier 1 but he has missed, I remember last summer he called Bruno's deal.

-Supreme-

Why do journalists not link Andreas, Lingard, Dalot and Smalling as swap deal for Sancho :drool:

But we get linked with Di Maria, Ramsey for Pogba :lol: :mad:

Wayne's World

He's coming to us, we are the only club who are going to be crazy money for a player this summer. No other club I don't think we'll spend that type of money on Sancho

I think he's a cracking player but he isn't the last part of the jigsaw to me, plenty more work to do over the summer

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I have been listening to it and he basically said it was almost a formality before Covid-19. However he doesn't think there will be any mega money moves this window coming up due to the pandemic and losses each club will have made.
That's a really poor summery and not what he says at all

What he actually says is we're in constant contact with the player and his agent but nothing can be done because no one knows the long term financial impact current events are having on clubs

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Who have we got who Dortmund may want then? Dalot seems an obvious one given they're loosing Hakimi, can't see them being interested in too many others we'd be happy to let go though

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's a really poor summery and not what he says at all

What he actually says is we're in constant contact with the player and his agent but nothing can be done because no one knows the long term financial impact current events are having on clubs
He clearly says in the interview that he doesn't see how mega deals will happen given the situation. Goldbrige then agreed. Woodward even said this the other day too.

I honestly think we were all set to get him like many others did. This virus has put a real spanner in the works for sure. I don't see us spending 100m on one player right now sadly. And I'd love us to get him.

I think we may have to wait till 2021 now.

SAFMUTD

Who have we got who Dortmund may want then? Dalot seems an obvious one given they're loosing Hakimi, can't see them being interested in too many others we'd be happy to let go though
I dont think they’ll fancy Dalot, I guess the only ones would be Greenwood and maybe Gomes.

IrishMcD

I dont think they’ll fancy Dalot, I guess the only ones would be Greenwood and maybe Gomes.
Offer them Sachez, think of the money they will save only having to change the 'o' to an 'ez' on his dressing room locker and all other embroided stuff. Come on Dortmund, you know it makes sense.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is it true they only want 100m euros? Saw a second hand tweet saying that's romano is saying

Status
Not open for further replies.