Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But Sancho is entering the final year of his contract and this environment isn't comparable to the normal circumstances Mbappe and Neymar went for. I think these two factors alone are sufficient to shave £15-20m off an asking price that's already standing at a huge sum. Dortmund have been burnt with a likely ballon d'or star leaving for a free before (Lewa). Speaking of him, sad that the awards got scrapped this year because he'd be a shoe in for it.
Our need plus the subsequent tax is surely going to factor in and level that out. There are really slim pickings out there and none with the profile and 'sense' of the Sancho signing, to the point he literally knows Manchester and his proposed team-mates inside and outside of work! I just cannot see how any price reduction takes place on our end. We'll meet their price or this won't go ahead, I personally believe.

I think they've had to lower their ambition somewhat because of the circumstances, but they still have a solid, set fee in mind and will include incentives that make up for a good portion of what they've had to write off, which, I believe we'll meet because if we have to pay out on them, we've become a league or CL-winning club again.

RUCK4444

A 29 year old Koulibaly at that. Any club would be stupid to pay more than 50m for him IMO. No resale value there at all.
Yeah 50 mill plus wages with absolutely no return is absolute dead money really, better spent on a top top up and coming centre back like Upamecano or somebody similar.

CG1010

I basically live under the rock as far as non-United football is concerned. Saw Sancho's highlights on Youtube for the first time now and here is what I thought:

He seemed to be generally at or around the levels of Martial and Rashford, as I can see them having similarly impressive highlights reel. I mean this in a good way as I really rate two so it would be great to have him as an additional player in our attack who is on a similar wavelength to our front 3.

Not sure consistent or inconsistent he is from Youtube highlights but even if he is, its fine as he is young player. We would have enough nos of quality attacking players that hopefully 1-2 will in form and unplayable through out the season.

He seems to have a great touch and is a better dribbler so its great to have someone who can complement our other players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No white text?

Greenwood is a number 9, people will be whinging (Tony fans) but he will push Martial out of that position next season.
Not sure about that, will need to improve his all round game quite a bit yet to catch up to Martial (whose hold up play is superb)

Riz

But Sancho is entering the final year of his contract and this environment isn't comparable to the normal circumstances Mbappe and Neymar went for. I think these two factors alone are sufficient to shave £15-20m off an asking price that's already standing at a huge sum. Dortmund have been burnt with a likely ballon d'or star leaving for a free before (Lewa). Speaking of him, sad that the awards got scrapped this year because he'd be a shoe in for it.
He’s got 2 years left at the moment actually so this is the last window Dortmund have to ask for a £100m-ish sum.

Having said that Chelsea got £100m for a 28 year old Hazard last summer when he had 1 year left.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is he really that good?
If people were happy with the Fernandes signing then they'll be over the moon with Sancho, for once it won't be us loooking enviously at a Haland, de Ligt or Mbappe type transfer.

Jericholyte2

No white text?

Greenwood is a number 9, people will be whinging (Tony fans) but he will push Martial out of that position next season.
I think we'll all just be glad to had quality options for the attacking positions. With Sancho able to play LW/RW, Greenwood able to cover RW/ST and both Martial and Rashord able to move to LW/ST we will have great rotation options:

Rashford - Martial - Sancho
Rashford - Martial - Greenwood
Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho
Sancho - Martial - Greenwood
Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood
Martial - Greenwood - Sancho
Martial - Rashford - Greenwood

All 4 will get plenty of game-time with these rotation options.

MadMike

No white text?

His link-up and (particularly) his hold-up play will have to miraculously improve in 6 months to get close to dislodging Martial off #9 next season. Playing #9 in a front 3 isn't just about movement and finishing, back-to-goal play is tremendously important.

Not that I see a reason for him to be #9 considering how much freedom and time he gets in and around the box when he doesn't have 2 CBs up his crack the second he gets the ball.

VanGaalEra

Personally reckon this gets done at £80M plus around £10-15M in add ons. Dortmund get to say they got over 100M euros for him.

Rolaholic

He’s got 2 years left at the moment actually so this is the last window Dortmund have to ask for a £100m-ish sum.

Having said that Chelsea got £100m for a 28 year old Hazard last summer when he had 1 year left.
Benfica also got £110m+ for a 19 year old with less than a full season of action at the senior level under his belt just last year...

If Leverkusen are holding out for 100m for Havertz, Dortmund are well within their rights to do the same with Sancho

0le

A 29 year old Koulibaly at that. Any club would be stupid to pay more than 50m for him IMO. No resale value there at all.
It would not be stupid if the player in question helped a club win a major trophy though. United paid I think £30m for Van Persie with one year left on his contract just for this very purpose.

Goku23

£100mil is the price I think he will go for but its gona be a looooooong saga as it always is with us

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure about that. Sancho played a lot of football from the left also and had just as much of an impact, if not more.

Yes Hakimi helped him get space on the right side but AWB is more than capable of doing overlapping runs too.
It's not just overlaps but rather link up play and quick one two's aswell. @do.ob has mentioned this before regarding the fullbacks. And BVB also have Guerreiro at left back who is technically very good in the build up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think we'd have budgeted £120m last summer for Sancho anyway, we will just keep grinding until we reach a happy medium.

Think it'll settle for around £105m

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Our need plus the subsequent tax is surely going to factor in and level that out. There are really slim pickings out there and none with the profile and 'sense' of the Sancho signing, to the point he literally knows Manchester and his proposed team-mates inside and outside of work! I just cannot see how any price reduction takes place on our end. We'll meet their price or this won't go ahead, I personally believe.

I think they've had to lower their ambition somewhat because of the circumstances, but they still have a solid, set fee in mind and will include incentives that make up for a good portion of what they've had to write off, which, I believe we'll meet because if we have to pay out on them, we've become a league or CL-winning club again.
But we don't "need" him. Greenwood has emerged as a top star for a right wing position and we can do with a natural right winger to give him competition. We are only moving for Sancho with this level because he's a generational talent. We need a pacey center back, some midfield cover and sure a natural right winger. But it doesn't "need" to be Sancho, because we have creativity and finishing all over the park now.

I think a revision to £120m is still toppy for a player entering a final year of contract in covid, who evidently wants out and has been dropped a few times because his head isn't with the club.

Stretender

He’s worse than Rafaeldagold he won’t last long here either
Out of interest, do you expect everyone on here to have the same opinion? What is crazy about my opinion that you find revolting? Every pundit and fan worth his salt has mentioned our defence as the weekest link so my choice of Koulibaly is not a rubbish idea because he is probably the only ready made world class central defender in the world right now. Gary Neville has done a podcast for Sky sports where he categorically says United need to buy a dominant centre half to partner either Maguire or Lindelof. He has made his argument clear that to win the premier league you need a dominant centre half and he has given the examples of Van Dyk and Vincent Kompany. Its fine for you on a football forum to say that is not a priority but Sancho is. Guess what mate, I would rather listen to what a Manchester United legend has to say about it , he knows what it takes to win championships. If you think Sancho is more of a priority for United today, then spell out your reasons for it rather than trashing other people's opinions. As far as am concerned, we need a central defender more than we need Sancho. Why? Because Greenwood, Rashford and Martial can deal with the wings. Now thats my argument, now present yours instead of acting like a North Korean policeman on here.

Adamsk7

When Sancho comes, there won’t be any immediate need to stop playing anyone of our front four consistently. There are so many games and with the addition of champions league, we now have another competition with the same prestige as the league. If say Rashford doesn’t play in a league game but does in a CL game, that’s a different prospect for moral to leaving him out in the league and playing him in the Carabao Cup!

I will be glad to see Greenwood play less next year as he’s still only 18 and I’d rather us be able to protect him when he has those inevitable dips in form, same with Rashford and Sancho. Tony I expect to be the most consistent now as he’s approaching a stage in his career when his game should be maturing.

Still, it’s very exciting. If those four stay together, work hard and improve, they will be the most dynamic attacking force in Europe, no doubt.

Infestissumam

But we don't "need" him. Greenwood has emerged as a top star for a right wing position and we can do with a natural right winger to give him competition. We are only moving for Sancho with this level because he's a generational talent. We need a pacey center back, some midfield cover and sure a natural right winger. But it doesn't "need" to be Sancho, because we have creativity and finishing all over the park now.

I think a revision to £120m is still toppy for a player entering a final year of contract in covid, who evidently wants out and has been dropped a few times because his head isn't with the club.
again, not true. He has two years left.

Fracture90

His partnership with Hakimi has been discussed in here before and I agree it's a concern, but we do have a potential solution.
344 pages in this thread? I foqin hope it had been discussed and i would love it for Laird to break through, but AWB is 22 and we splashed £50 million on him...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Out of interest, do you expect everyone on here to have the same opinion? What is crazy about my opinion that you find revolting? Every pundit and fan worth his salt has mentioned our defence as the weekest link so my choice of Koulibaly is not a rubbish idea because he is probably the only ready made world class central defender in the world right now. Gary Neville has done a podcast for Sky sports where he categorically says United need to buy a dominant centre half to partner either Maguire or Lindelof. He has made his argument clear that to win the premier league you need a dominant centre half and he has given the examples of Van Dyk and Vincent Kompany. Its fine for you on a football forum to say that is not a priority but Sancho is. Guess what mate, I would rather listen to what a Manchester United legend has to say about it , he knows what it takes to win championships. If you think Sancho is more of a priority for United today, then spell out your reasons for it rather than trashing other people's opinions. As far as am concerned, we need a central defender more than we need Sancho. Why? Because Greenwood, Rashford and Martial can deal with the wings. Now thats my argument, now present yours instead of acting like a North Korean policeman on here.
Can't speak for that poster but the implication was that we spend £100m+ on a 29 year old CBs who, by his standards, didn't have the best of seasons. We need a CB but the time for Kouliably has been and gone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 reasons.

We've not let in many goals and have loads of centre backs already

We've not scored many goals and only have 3 good forward options.

Eventually yes a CB will be needed, but it's not priority.

Listening to Gary Neville doesn't mean anything, he knows nothing more than the next guy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
again, not true. He has two years left.
Apolgies, 2 years, of which this is the only year they can really demand a fee close to £100m, or slightly beyond. The point still stands. They should really accept the £100m offered to them rather than holding out for £120m in my opinion.

I dont really care if we spend the extra so long as we get our other targets.I want me a center back!

Utdstar01

It would not be stupid if the player in question helped a club win a major trophy though. United paid I think £30m for Van Persie with one year left on his contract just for this very purpose.
There was a difference though. I think our squad was a hell of a lot stronger back then. Difference is we aren't one player away from winning the league and if we are, that player isn't a CB alone.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
344 pages in this thread? I foqin hope it had been discussed and i would love it for Laird to break through, but AWB is 22 and we splashed £50 million on him...
We spent even more on Di Maria but it didn't prevent Van Gaal to drop him.

0le

There was a difference though. I think our squad was a hell of a lot stronger back then. Difference is we aren't one player away from winning the league and if we are, that player isn't a CB alone.
Yes. I was thinking more about if he went to City because of their defensive issues.

Infestissumam

Apolgies, 2 years, of which this is the only year they can really demand a fee close to £100m, or slightly beyond. The point still stands. They should really accept the £100m offered to them rather than holding out for £120m in my opinion.

I dont really care if we spend the extra so long as we get our other targets.I want me a center back!
well to be fair, they don't want £120m but €120m ... which is about £110m. We've apparently offered around £90m already, so there's lots of middle ground to be found here. It'll get done.

Utdstar01

Yes. I was thinking more about if he went to City because of their defensive issues.
I think it'd be daft for City to do that personally in an already ageing squad. Their squad needs refreshing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
well to be fair, they don't want £120m but €120m ... which is about £110m. We've apparently offered around £90m already, so there's lots of middle ground to be found here. It'll get done.
Yeah, can see £100m in that case being settle on. I hope we have more than £150m on a budget, because if we're looking at 2 other positions we'll need more.
Unsure how much selling Sanchez/Lingard/Jones/Smalling will help. Italian clubs pretty cheap but if we can squeeze another 30m from that its good.

gajender

I think before we buy another Cb we should buy Matic's replacement and see how our Cb fare then because a dynamic Dm would elevate our defence we might not even need new Cb next season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

As talented as Greenwood is, there's a chasm between he and Sancho at RWF/RW, particularly to do with build-up and involvement over two halves of football. Sancho is a conduit and a dependable hub from which others in the attack can plan their next action so assured with both his ability to hold the ball, as well as play them in, as they are.

Greenwood is still a moments player who finds it difficult to remain involved for concerted periods of time - the opposite of what Sancho provides an attack and a game in terms of load-bearing responsibility. This is something our side badly needs if we're going to take ourselves up to title or CL contenders. I think out creativity is good now, but will be excellent with Sancho in the team, so there is a massive leap there as well.

This is no mark against Greenwood as he is a youngster learning his craft in a position that isn't actually his own; more particularly, we're talking about a player out at RWF who is keeping company with the rung below Messi: Salah, Mbappe as comfortably one of the best in the world in the position to date. We have absolutely every need for him, not only in breaking down stubborn defenses, but also pre-occupying top ones as well who will have to have strong tactical plans in place to contain Sancho that don't have to be enacted against Greenwood, as of yet.

I believe the premium that comes with this kind of talent is what we'll have to pay, even if we're the only suitor - and we've form for that (Spurs) . If it's down to months of wrangling or sorting things out expeditiously, in light of what a clusterfeck next season could be, I don't see us quibbling.

What I do think happens from there is us being more likely to haggle on other targets and make up some of the difference there, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.