Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihai

That's because Mhiki was an AM. We tried shoehorning players into positions like a square peg in a round hole. Getting Sancho is not going to win us the title. Sancho is not the only world class RW out there.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think Mkhitaryan played mainly on the right wing for Dortmund.

What other WC alternatives are available in this window?

Toni Roncoroni

Yes he often played on the right wing at Dortmund. Or as an AM drifting to the right. But Dortmund played free floated football. That's where he was best at: short passes on high speed. When he joined us we played static controlled football without that speed. I think that was where he really struggled. He is not a player who wins duels when he is not moving.

Sancho can do both. He is really good with the ball in his feats as he is with short passing. I really hope we get this deal done. Sancho also matured a lot this season. I think it helped him that Favre took him out because of disciplinary problems at the start of the second part of the season. How he responded and played after that was really good. I hope he will be hungry and won't take his foot of the gas. But this front three with Martial, Rashford and him (and Greenwood to rotate) would be a dream to watch.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Doesn't really explain why he then performed similarly at Arsenal.

Personally don't think Mkhi was all that bad for us, and we definitely looked worse without him. Never lived up to expectations though.

Sancho completely different kettle of fish. Generational talent and all that

CG1010

Personally don't think Mkhi was all that bad for us, and we definitely looked worse without him. Never lived up to expectations though.

Yeah, we could do with Mikhi this season instead of Perriera or Lingard.

Mihai

Yes he often played on the right wing at Dortmund. Or as an AM drifting to the right. But Dortmund played free floated football. That's where he was best at: short passes on high speed. When he joined us we played static controlled football without that speed. I think that was where he really struggled. He is not a player who wins duels when he is not moving.

Sancho can do both. He is really good with the ball in his feats as he is with short passing. I really hope we get this deal done. Sancho also matured a lot this season. I think it helped him that Favre took him out because of disciplinary problems at the start of the second part of the season. How he responded and played after that was really good. I hope he will be hungry and won't take his foot of the gas. But this front three with Martial, Rashford and him (and Greenwood to rotate) would be a dream to watch.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to compare Mkhitaryan with Sancho. I was just trying to say that he was the only player that we signed to address the right wing spot after Nani left.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

Even for Dortmund Mkhi was not that good.
He played there for 3 seasons, 1 good season, 1 bad season, 1 okay season.

The only huge disappointments of players moving from Dortmund imo were Kagawa and Götze. They looked like world beaters before they left. Same as Lewandowski and Hummels, but they delivered.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
We’re presently at 352 pages in this thread.
I reckon we’ll touch 400 by the time we complete the transfer.

The transfer seems days away but every latest news drives up 10 pages easy! Willing to take on wagers if anyone thinks it’ll be any less then 400 :lol:

The muppetry is on another level since 2 days..:wenger:

Sometimes I wonder if Sancho himself follows this thread or not haha

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

The transfer seems days away but every latest news drives up 10 pages easy! Willing to take on wagers if anyone thinks it’ll be any less then 400 :lol:

I reckon about 450 if not 500 by the time we get an official announcement. There will be lots of little details and speculation now and it'll keep bumping the thread along.

Siorac

Surely you mean 500? Even 600 wouldn't be that much of a surprise, these threads tend to grow exponentially when some actual news are leaking out near the end.

Thisistheone

The post lock down games were fun to watch but adding Sancho is just gonna take it to another level. We'll be the most exciting side in the league to watch next season. (if/when we get him)

Keyser

Surely you mean 500? Even 600 wouldn't be that much of a surprise, these threads tend to grow exponentially when some actual news are leaking out near the end.
Yep we've got Flight Trackers, leaked medical photos, kit being put live on the main site accidentally, loads to go

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I reckon about 450 if not 500 by the time we get an official announcement. There will be lots of little details and speculation now and it'll keep bumping the thread along.
Yep we've got Flight Trackers, leaked medical photos, kit being put live on the main site accidentally, loads to go
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I take my wager back. We’ll reach 400 by Friday.

Transfer should be done next week most probably.

Squeaky Bumtime

We'll get him when we reach 442 pages.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I take my wager back. We’ll reach 400 by Friday.

Transfer should be done next week most probably.
In all honesty the deal is probably done already, or at least it should be done at least verbally before the legal teams start to work on the paperwork.

It seems to be at the stage where both the clubs and the players have agreed the transfer, the fee is agreed upon but they need to negotiate the 'easy add-ons'.

I can see it verbally already being agreed, and the reason why no sources are citing anything or the 'top-tier journalists' are not reporting anything is because it's not yet on paper from the legal department.

Dortmund know their targets and they know how much they'll cost, so they want the base-fee to cover that, and the add-ons just mean the full valuation is met.

It'll most likely be agreed the fee is around 100M but United will probably want something like 70-80M upfront and 20m on easy add-ons.

Such as 'Sancho makes 30 appearances - 5M', 'Manchester United qualify for the CL - 10M', 'Sancho reaches 15 goals - 5M' to work around covid-19.

The marketing team at United is probably working on getting everything ready.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
In all honesty the deal is probably done already, or at least it should be done at least verbally before the legal teams start to work on the paperwork.

It seems to be at the stage where both the clubs and the players have agreed the transfer, the fee is agreed upon but they need to negotiate the 'easy add-ons'.

I can see it verbally already being agreed, and the reason why no sources are citing anything or the 'top-tier journalists' are not reporting anything is because it's not yet on paper from the legal department.

Dortmund know their targets and they know how much they'll cost, so they want the base-fee to cover that, and the add-ons just mean the full valuation is met.

It'll most likely be agreed the fee is around 100M but United will probably want something like 70-80M upfront and 20m on easy add-ons.

Such as 'Sancho makes 30 appearances - 5M', 'Manchester United qualify for the CL - 10M', 'Sancho reaches 15 goals - 5M' to work around covid-19.

The marketing team at United is probably working on getting everything ready.
I hope you’re right and it doesn’t cross 100m.

We need funds for more transfers.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Don't think it's anywhere near being as done as some like to believe.
I think BVB was serious about the deadline which is basically end of next week. Hence for it to be finalized by then, the deal would have to be agreed (atleast verbally) this week.

Toni Roncoroni

I'm not trying to compare Mkhitaryan with Sancho. I was just trying to say that he was the only player that we signed to address the right wing spot after Nani left.
[/QUOTE]

I know. :) Just did put in my opinion on Sancho in your response. Was nothing against your post.

Mihai

I know. :) Just did put in my opinion on Sancho in your response. Was nothing against your post.
[/QUOTE]

:smirk:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I hope you’re right and it doesn’t cross 100m.

We need funds for more transfers.
The thing is with Sancho is 100m sounds like a big fee but think of it this way, he'll make back quite a bit of that back in shirt sales, merchandising and image-rights.

Even if Sancho costs 100m the reality is in the first year United will probably recoup 20m of that just due to the fan-base of the club and people buying his shirt.

At Dortmund obviously people will buy Sancho shirts, but as an England International at Man Utd he'll be worth a lot more even commercially (off the pitch) than at Dortmund.

Having Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho means that they'll receive lets say 'free-advertising' by the english press.

Obviously Sancho is one of those talents that people will watch United for and there's also Greenwood emerging at the club too.

A player like Sancho I don't think people will question the fee in a few years, Rooney at 30M in 2004 was a huge fee too, but I'm sure Rooney paid back that 30M over the course of his career.

With Sancho and outgoings I can still see 3 signings this transfer window

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
The thing is with Sancho is 100m sounds like a big fee but think of it this way, he'll make back quite a bit of that back in shirt sales, merchandising and image-rights.

Even if Sancho costs 100m the reality is in the first year United will probably recoup 20m of that just due to the fan-base of the club and people buying his shirt.

At Dortmund obviously people will buy Sancho shirts, but as an England International at Man Utd he'll be worth a lot more even commercially (off the pitch) than at Dortmund.

Having Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho means that they'll receive lets say 'free-advertising' by the english press.

Obviously Sancho is one of those talents that people will watch United for and there's also Greenwood emerging at the club too.

A player like Sancho I don't think people will question the fee in a few years, Rooney at 30M in 2004 was a huge fee too, but I'm sure Rooney paid back that 30M over the course of his career.

With Sancho and outgoings I can still see 3 signings this transfer window
Oh I’m fully with you. I’d even justify us paying north of 100m because he’s literally a generational talent but this pandemic has hit everyone really hard and funds need to be spent wisely.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

We'll probably clear 500-600, all the transfer casuals will join in once the real news starts leaking out.

Chief123

Its amazing how we've had a problem at right wing for nearly 10 years and we suddenly get the opportunity to sign one of the best right wingers in the world right now with no one else in for him except us.....but some of our fans still doubt whether we should get him!!

Like has anyone been seeing the problem we've had at right wing all these years??

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's not only on Sancho to maintain the level he's attained, but us to provide the means for his transition to be seamless. That means much better work in offence from AWB, and plenty of competent outlets for him to play off of or use as decoys.

Fernandes, Pogba, Martial will be the players in Sancho's vicinity (assuming he's out at RWF), so there really shouldn't be a problem infield of him. Bissaka is the one who is going to have to get with the program, which if he does, we should be on par as the most productive and entertaining attack in the league.

Whoever is at CF next season is going to have a field day.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its amazing how we've had a problem at right wing for nearly 10 years and we suddenly get the opportunity to sign one of the best right wingers in the world right now with no one else in for him except us.....but some of our fans still doubt whether we should get him!!

Like has anyone been seeing the problem we've had at right wing all these years??
It's bewildering right? Sancho is such an obvious fit for us, if you could create a perfect right wing option for us to play alongside Rashford and Martial, it would be Sancho. Who gives a shit about the valuation, end of the day he'll be with us for a long time and hopefully he's the key to us stepping up another notch.

I've been a big fan of Sancho, he just oozes class.

Matriac

Has it been stated anywhere how long his vacation is for now?

I think it's been pretty standard for most of our high profile transfers the last years to have our negotiation team and the selling club hash out details with the assistance of the players agent. If the two clubs agree, the agent will likely inform the player of his options while he is still on vacation, but nobody expects him to make a full decision before his vacation is over. Let him mull it over. Or even if he does make a decision, nothing is expected to move further before the vacation is over and next steps like final details on personal terms, medical and so on can be completed.

As much as we muppets would like it, we don't ask high profile players to cut their vacations short. Thus no official bids until then either, but likely we'll have agreed all the deal terms before then.

Dortmund is doing a digital pre-season "tour" for China this year, letting fans view livestreams of their trainings back in Dortmund with Chinese commentary, digital meet and greet with players etc, not sure when it starts? Bayern's similar thing started 25th of July and ends August 2nd.
If the clubs are close I doubt Dortmund would want Sancho to partake in this online stuff.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's not only on Sancho to maintain the level he's attained, but us to provide the means for his transition to be seamless. That means much better work in offence from AWB, and plenty of competent outlets for him to play off of or use as decoys.

Fernandes, Pogba, Martial will be the players in Sancho's vicinity (assuming he's out at RWF), so there really shouldn't be a problem infield of him. Bissaka is the one who is going to have to get with the program, which if he does, we should be on par as the most productive and entertaining attack in the league.

I'm not worried by him. It's clear he's one of the players who's struggled with fitness during lockdown (no shit, he's been sprinting up and down the channel constantly). He's a terrific athlete, very similar to Valencia in that regard. His final product is what will need working on (along with his confidence in the final third). But there were signs he's improving on that. Laird is probably 12 months away from breaking through but he's another player that could easily step up like Williams but the difference being his main strength is his attacking play. I rate him very highly.

RUCK4444

I don't think he will be reluctant to get forward, it's just the final ball and link up that is needed. I see that he's been hammered by a few posters but I think his linkup on the right hand side has progressed somewhat over the course of the season but he's dipped with the rest these last few games in particular.

We need the right tactics and press for him to stay forward for the majority of the game. We can't push him up constantly when we don't have control of the game, this is why a Matic backup signing is very important, not just to benefit AWB but more so to control games more effectively. There were spells this season where we didn't have control of games and I don't think an extra-attacking fullback would have helped in that situation, once we have that control I'm all for attacking full backs.

Shaw has also been a miss in these last games, his overlapping on the left has been a good outlet at times in the recent good spell we had.

theklr

I think it's been pretty standard for most of our high profile transfers the last years to have our negotiation team and the selling club hash out details with the assistance of the players agent. If the two clubs agree, the agent will likely inform the player of his options while he is still on vacation, but nobody expects him to make a full decision before his vacation is over. Let him mull it over. Or even if he does make a decision, nothing is expected to move further before the vacation is over and next steps like final details on personal terms, medical and so on can be completed.
Dont think we would go so far in a transfer if we were still unsure if the player wanted to come. Thats basically the first thing you do.
Thats why you always hear those "player has agreed personal terms" rumours a few months before its heating up with Stoney denial etc.

Matriac

Dont think we would go so far in a transfer if we were still unsure if the player wanted to come. Thats basically the first thing you do.
Thats why you always hear those "player has agreed personal terms" rumours a few months before its heating up with Stoney denial etc.
Oh I agree that we know he's interested, but there's a difference in saying you'd want to come and that the proposed terms look good, to actually making the life-altering decision once all the terms are on the table. Maybe Dortmund counter-offers. Maybe Sancho woke up on the other side of the bed.

There's a difference in agreeing you would want to do this, and actually do it.
Somewhat similar (but still very different) to a person applying for a job, going through interview process, but not making the final call to leave the other job until an offer is on the table with all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.