Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Its stated he wants to return to England. Its not a free shot, nobody wants, or can, spend 120m on him.
Teams are cutting back based on 3 months of Corona, not a chance all these teams are rushing in withba season of it.
Yeah the one thing I will say is that if we have to get him this summer,hate to say it but wait a year and there will be too many other options on the table for him to choose from. I know for many of us Utd is everything but some players will not be thinking in that same way.

VanGaalEra

You'd have to be proper naive to think there's been zero contact. Quite obvious there has been, and its ongoing. We know what the club is like, we'd be quick to brief if this was dead in the water.
There's actually people who believe that :lol:

Rolaholic

We've seen that happen plenty of times enough to know it doesn't rule out anything but that won't stop panic it seems :lol:

Makes no sense to believe a club would refuse a suitable offer due to starting their preseason when there's 8 weeks left in the transfer window

We've ourselves sold players after they started training like Robson mentioned with Lukaku up there. Clubs aren't going to be inflexible for the sake of it when there's vast sums of money involved especially in this pandemic affected market.

Wouldn't take whatever Zorc says later at face value either, they'll accept in a heartbeat if/when a suitable offer arrives regardless as they've shown numerous times after issuing repeated denials and claiming the contrary

Irrational.

And rightfully so, signing a future super star for a three digit million sum. Anything less than a saga wouldn't be worthy!
It's not a proper saga until we have reporters outside Carrington with members of the public trying to shove inflatable dildos in their ears, and posters trying to make out faces through tinted windows/ looking at blood bottles/ looking through pathetic attempts to cover players via a towel whilst we get perilously close to the transfer deadline. We're just getting started here. :D

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Dortmund have made a big deal of the deadline - it will be hard for them to publicly climb down from that. My guess is that the press conference Zorc has called for today will be used to say that Sancho is now staying for another year.

That probably won't be the end of it - I can imagine that we might come back in September/October and test their resolve - but it will put the deal on the back burner for a while.
I can see that. I can even see United loaning someone for a year and then going back in for Sancho when he has even less time on his deal. That's what Bayern did when they were waiting for Sane. With the emergence of Greenwood we have a little bit of breathing space. We need depth. However, we're in a different position from when we badly needed a big upgrade on James or Mata.

TheReligion

Abusive
Covid works both ways and United are considerably better off than Dortmund.

Does anybody really think than Dortmund turn down the big money they want later in the window? They know they won't get it next season and they know the player is leaving. His value from this summer gradually decreases and there's every chance the market is still impacted by Covid-19 next summer with teams unable/unwilling to play top price.

They aren't in as strong of a position as made out. Especially when it's clear the player wants to leave.

Idxomer

The Stone tweet means the club is still very much in for him. If the personal terms is actually agreed, it would be odd to see the club pull out after all that effort put in for this deal.

Irrational.

What I don't get is why BVB seem so set on his price, when they let an equally big talent in Pulisic go to Chelsea for relative peanuts/ less than half price without any resistance.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What do you think Sancho does in that scenario where we meet the asking price and Dortmund still reject it? 4 weeks from now is still 6 weeks before the deadline shuts, absolutely plenty of time to get a replacement in and a completely unreasonable reason to reject the offer. Massive risk you have an unhappy player on your hands if you do that.
I mean odds are that if time is indeed an important factor to them then they will have already made it clear to Sancho that their willingness to sell ends around today. I don't know Sancho personally so I can't predict how he feels or how he will behave.

Rolaholic

What I don't get is why BVB seem so set on his price, when they let an equally big talent in Pulisic go to Chelsea for relative peanuts/ less than half price without any resistance.
They issued repeated public denials when it came to Pulisic as well.

The difference in fee has to come down to production/quality. Sancho benched him and put up better stats in each of his seasons than Pulisic's time with them combined and is slightly younger.

croadyman

We've seen that happen plenty of times enough to know it doesn't rule out anything but that won't stop panic it seems :lol:

Makes no sense to believe a club would refuse a suitable offer due to starting their preseason when there's 8 weeks left in the transfer window

We've ourselves sold players after they started training like Robson mentioned with Lukaku up there. Clubs aren't going to be inflexible for the sake of it when there's vast sums of money involved especially in this pandemic affected market.

Wouldn't take whatever Zorc says later at face value either, they'll accept in a heartbeat if/when a suitable offer arrives regardless as they've shown numerous times after issuing repeated denials and claiming the contrary
Yeah using the Lukaku example from him going to Australia last year just proves players can still move after taking part in pre season training camps.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Stone tweet means the club is still very much in for him. If the personal terms is actually agreed, it would be odd to see the club pull out after all that effort put in for this deal.
Exactly. You wouldn't go to the effort to do all of that on a whim. Obviously price can be a sticking point and any transfer can collapse but that's usually because of a tight window or deadline. It seems Dortmund know Sancho has already agreed with us so they have tried to push an imaginary window to get the deal done on their terms in attempts to give them the power back. It would suit them much more if this was the last few days of the window as we'd be under pressure to cave in. As such they've invented their own deadline and I fully expect that's what Zorc will harp on about later.

Everyone knows though that that's just their side of the bargaining process and really the only hand they've got left to play.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Obviously we don't want/can't pay 120. Dortmund i guess had a word with Sancho and he is willing to sign a new contract. Which gives boost to Dormund's stand (120mil).
I don't think this will happen...unless we pay 120mil. Which we obviously don't want to do.

I know that we all hate when players do that but i would love to see once that player help us a bit. With transfer request or saying that he wants to go in Man Utd. When we sign a player they are all "i can go there but i don't mind staying too".

crossy1686

career ending
Let's be honest does it suit either club to announce this or get it done early in the window? I think both will be happy to keep quiet until late in the day irrespective of what's been said/agreed behind the scenes. It would kill both sides in negotiations for other players.
It benefits Dortmund massively to get this sale done ASAP.

Imagine you walked into a shop and the guy who worked there said: “this shirt is £100, you need to buy in the next 10 minutes because I close in an hour”.

What are you going to do? He’s already told you he wants the sale but you know he’s got an hour to sell it and the longer you wait the more power you have to get that price down.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Fab is literally always correct. English Media and the German media can't be trusted as the club's brief them.

Today will really be a shit show in a few hours when Zorc says that's it no deal in that presser but we all know negotiations are still going on.

So until Fab says it's off or United put out the same brief we did with Dybala then things are still happening behind the scenes.

If we didn't think we could get him United would have used their media friends to shut down the rumours weeks ago to avoid fan outrage.
After the news broke yesterday about this Dortmund press conference today, I fully expected to wake up this morning to news that the press had been briefed that we are not interested in Sancho.

The fact that this hasn’t happened has me feeling more positive about this again.

The club must be reasonably confident. They will know with almost 100% certainty (Informants everywhere) what is going to be said by Dortmund today. If Sancho is truly not for sale, United would have preempted that and got in first with a “no interest from us” briefing.

Rolaholic

Yeah using the Lukaku example from him going to Australia last year just proves players can still move after taking part in pre season training camps.
Maguire is another example from just last summer too and he even started games for Leicester during their preseason before being sold :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Obviously we don't want/can't pay 120. Dortmund i guess had a word with Sancho and he is willing to sign a new contract. Which gives boost to Dormund's stand (120mil).
I don't think this will happen...unless we pay 120mil. Which we obviously don't want to do.

I know that we all hate when players do that but i would love to see once that player help us a bit. With transfer request or saying that he wants to go in Man Utd. When we sign a player they are all "i can go there but i don't mind staying too".
Absolute nonsense. The rumours about the new contact were flagged as rubbish in Germany yesterday.

He wants to go back to England and has agreed terms with United. I think that's pretty obvious to everyone at the moment.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pulisic isn't close to the talent Sancho is, and while they were at Dortmund Pulisic was pretty much a backup at that point. He's become a much better player at Chelsea, but he had stagnated at Dortmund. Not sure what the contract situation was like.

Sancho is a generational talent at the top of his form, and is world class already. Not many players in the world are as complete attackers as he is.

RkkMan

I can see that. I can even see United loaning someone for a year and then going back in for Sancho when he has even less time on his deal. That's what Bayern did when they were waiting for Sane. With the emergence of Greenwood we have a little bit of breathing space. We need depth. However, we're in a different position from when we badly needed a big upgrade on James or Mata.
Problem is a year can change a lot.
Madrid- Hazard/Bale a year older both likely to keep flopping if they offload one they could be in for a winger
Chelsea- Pulisic injury prone CHO inconsistent if those two things persist they could be in for a winger
Barca- With pandemic effects likely to settle they may have the financial muscle to sign a big name player
PSG- With Mbappe set to leave they`ll want a replacement
Liverpool- Like Barca with pandemic effects down they may have the financial muscle to sign a big name attacking player preferably someone young as their attackers in their late 20s and 2 of them going to the AFCON
Heck even Utd may have a bad season and miss out on top 4 and he defo won`t want us with no CL
Can we really run the risk of letting in other teams for his signature if we have a free run this year? Isn`t it better to take that hit now if it guarantees a solid top 3 finish and maybe a trophy than use the same strategy in 2018 of not investing when it matters the most and as a result suffering heavy consequences from it(6th place) which will force you to invest anyway this time from a position of weakness?

TheHeya

So, what are we expecting from the Dortmund conference at 330pm?

Sancho is staying blah blah and that he will only go if an amazing offer is out on the table...
Therefore making them look good when they eventually sell.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pulisic isn't close to the talent Sancho is, and while they were at Dortmund Pulisic was pretty much a backup at that point. He's become a much better player at Chelsea, but he had stagnated at Dortmund. Not sure what the contract situation was like.

Sancho is a generational talent at the top of his form, and is world class already. Not many players in the world are as complete attackers as he is.
Plus he’s English and Manchester United want him.

TheReligion

Abusive
It benefits Dortmund massively to get this sale done ASAP.

Imagine you walked into a shop and the guy who worked there said: “this shirt is £100, you need to buy in the next 10 minutes because I close in an hour”.

What are you going to do? He’s already told you he wants the sale but you know he’s got an hour to sell it and the longer you wait the more power you have to get that price down.
True or you could look at it in the sense they'd rather get their business done without announcing Sancho so they don't get fleeced. What I'm saying is we could have the agreement in place but are just delaying releasing it until it suits both sides.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
True or you could look at it in the sense they'd rather get their business done without announcing Sancho so they don't get fleeced. What I'm saying is we could have the agreement in place but are just delaying releasing it until it suits both sides.
I hope so but then what’s this press conference about? Hmmm

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Plus he’s English and Manchester United want him.
Sancho is more comparable to Dembele. Except Sancho is a bigger talent and less of a problem child, but during covid times and more proven. Dembele went to Barca for €148m after add ons. €120m for Sancho isn't ridiculous in comparison to the other world class talents like Dembele or Mbappe, because he's that tier of talent. The market will always be blown up for those, just because how rare they are.

crossy1686

career ending

There’s no way Sancho is signing a new contract at Dortmund. That will see him stuck there for at least another 3 years. He might get a bumper pay rise on his current deal but it would be absolutely stupid of him to sign a new contract if he wants to leave.

Superunknown

Covid works both ways and United are considerably better off than Dortmund.

Does anybody really think than Dortmund turn down the big money they want later in the window? They know they won't get it next season and they know the player is leaving. His value from this summer gradually decreases and there's every chance the market is still impacted by Covid-19 next summer with teams unable/unwilling to play top price.

They aren't in as strong of a position as made out. Especially when it's clear the player wants to leave.
I can't see them getting more money than what we are willing to/will eventually pay. Covid has really messed things up, and that includes the finances for football clubs, too. I can't see any huge big-money transfers like this one on this sort of scale happening too frequently over this next year. I do think it will also still impact next summer's window, so agree with you there.

Look at the huge clubs in each league who would both be willing to and could afford this type of signing. The closer you look, that number seems to dwindle. Of course, if Dortmund are able to keep him for another year and can then tie him down on a longer deal, then that's open and shut. But, part of me does wonder whether many clubs would be willing to cash in on their high profile players due to the impact of Covid.

For our club, if we eventually do not go ahead with this transfer, that's potentially money that we can reinvest into the squad in other places. It won't be the end of the world for us. I just hope that we don't focus all of our attention on this one player and then lose out on others in more needed positions. Aside from Dortmund's imposed deadline, we are always against the transfer window clock and it's important that we don't run out of time.

croadyman

So, what are we expecting from the Dortmund conference at 330pm?

Sancho is staying blah blah and that he will only go if an amazing offer is out on the table...
Therefore making them look good when they eventually sell.
Yeah that is pretty much the standard response in a situation like this. Negative brief but not closing the door on the deal still being completed

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it's odd to accuse you of having a meltdown when you're just discussing the i

I hope so but then what’s this press conference about? Hmmm
The conference will just be them underlining their stance that he's not going etc. As I said they have no power in this negotiation really if Sancho has agreed terms so early on. They'd get more power if the transfer deadline was near as United would be up against the clock. I see this imaginary deadline BvB are pushing as their way of turning up the heat.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The conference will just be them underlining their stance that he's not going etc. As I said they have no power in this negotiation really if Sancho has agreed terms so early on. They'd get more power if the transfer deadline was near as United would be up against the clock. I see this imaginary deadline BvB are pushing as their way of turning up the heat.
Good point, we will see.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't see them getting more money than what we are willing to/will eventually pay. Covid has really messed things up, and that includes the finances for football clubs, too. I can't see any huge big-money transfers like this one on this sort of scale happening too frequently over this next year. I do think it will also still impact next summer's window, so agree with you there.

Look at the huge clubs in each league who would both be willing to and could afford this type of signing. The closer you look, that number seems to dwindle. Of course, if Dortmund are able to keep him for another year and can then tie him down on a longer deal, then that's open and shut. But, part of me does wonder whether many clubs would be willing to cash in on their high profile players due to the impact of Covid.

For our club, if we eventually do not go ahead with this transfer, that's potentially money that we can reinvest into the squad in other places. It won't be the end of the world for us. I just hope that we don't focus all of our attention on this one player and then lose out on others in more needed positions. Aside from Dortmund's imposed deadline, we are always against the transfer window clock and it's important that we don't run out of time.
Absolutely agree that it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't happen. He's not even an essential signing really when you think about it but he is the right signing and I think United fans being United fans want the very best young attacking talent and are desperate for a new number 7.

I really like Sancho and want us to get him but if it's not meant to be we move on and look elsewhere.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There’s no way Sancho is signing a new contract at Dortmund. That will see him stuck there for at least another 3 years. He might get a bumper pay rise on his current deal but it would be absolutely stupid of him to sign a new contract if he wants to leave.
Why not? They can make "gentlemen's agreement" with him. Like we did with De Gea 5 years ago. They can double his wage and say to him that in next 2 years they will sell him for xy fee.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m sure they would but they’ve already made it clear they want the sale by setting that deadline. They’d have told us to whistle if they wanted to keep him or they’d rather wait until next summer to encourage a bidding war and get a higher price, which they know they won’t.

Its possible that could happened but I doubt he’d have gone off to join the Dortmund team if the deal was done.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If you think Dortmund would sacrifice 120m at any point then I think you're wrong. They won't get that next season and the player doesn't want to stay in Germany. He's leaving for England at some point irrespective of when and I very much doubt Dortmund want anything more than as much money as possible before he goes.
Don't be silly, Dortmund aren't sacrificing €120m. Between City's cut and whatever bite the player and his agents take they would net much less. And he wouldn't leave for free next summer either, would he?
Selling late means having pressure to sign a replacement from a tiny pool of available players and invalidating a lot of the tactical side of their pre-season. If they are faced with the choice of either keeping Sancho and losing out on say €30m or overpaying on someone they aren't convinced of and messing with their season then they could easily think it's better for them to take the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.