Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd love for us to sign Sancho but it is worth remembering that United have missed out on lots of players in the past and it has mostly not stopped us being successful. It is also not really a reflection on Woodward or the current negotiation team. A lot of it is economics, politics, bureaucracy and what the player wants. Here are a few examples:

- Gascoigne [source]:
Paul Gascoigne has said one of the greatest regrets of his playing career was to have turned down Manchester United. On the other side of that coin, United's manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, has long maintained that "not getting Gazza" was the biggest disappointment of his managerial career. Gascoigne, 41, said he was shown around United's training ground as a young player but when he left Newcastle United in 1988 it was for Tottenham instead.

- Shearer [source]:
"I sat down with both Kevin Keegan and Sir Alex on the same day, in a house in Cheshire, believe it or not," said Shearer. "I spoke to Kevin Keegan in the morning, talks had gone really really well, very positive."....And Sir Alex's first question was 'am I seeing you first, or second?'. And I said I saw Kevin this morning, and he said 'basically I've got no chance, then'. In other words he wanted to see me first and he was disappointed he didn't do that. But I thought the talks went extremely well, I was really impressed with what he had to say." Shearer then revealed he made the demand about penalties, which was met with a stony-faced Ferguson.

- Ronaldinho [source]:
“I remember two or three that were possibly coming,” Scholes recalled on the BBC’s Savage Social podcast earlier this week. “I think the one that stands out is Ronaldinho. He was away on pre-season and we were as close as announcing him and giving him a number but I think he ended up changing his mind at the last minute and signing for Barcelona".

- Toni Kroos [source]:
"I knew before that Manchester wanted me," Kroos said. "And Moyes underlined that absolutely. It was a really nice afternoon with very nice people. We talked a lot about United's footballing plan which convinced me. In the end, we agreed to do it. We agreed verbally.".

- Fabregas [source]:
"After the week I had to take my chance, I had Manchester City, United and then I spoke to Mourinho – which I didn’t think would ever happen."

- Robben [source]:
"I had a very good conversation with him (Ferguson) over dinner in Manchester and we spoke about football and life. I also went and had a good look around the training ground and everything was good, but after I went back to PSV nothing happened. There was no real contact and the deal didn't happen....Had Manchester United offered me a deal straight after I met them, I would have signed there, but it didn't happen and I have got no regrets."

- Gareth Bale [source]:
And Ferguson claims that Bale would have been a United player in but for Southampton’s decision to reject their bid for the youngster in January 2007. “We were disappointed in Southampton at the time because we were first there, but they never came back to us,” Ferguson said. “It was not the boy who turned us down, it was Southampton, then a few weeks later he signed for Tottenham Hotspur".

- Sneijder [source]
On United's interest in his services, the Dutch playmaker told Galatasaray Dergisi: "We had some talks with Alex Ferguson back in 2010. "They [United] contacted the club after our Treble season but too much money was asked for. And I was also happy at Inter so I decided to stay. Manchester United are a fantastic club and they kept showing interest after that year but not as determined as before."

- Patrick Kluivert [source]:
"It won't be the last time this kind of thing happens but players we really want we usually get," Ferguson said. "We were led to believe he wanted to speak to us, but you know what agents are like. Maybe he doesn't know how big a club Manchester United is."

- Gary Lineker [source]:
"Right at the 11th hour it suddenly appeared that Spurs might not be able to do the deal, financially," his answer read. "That's when my agent spoke with Alex Ferguson, who was keen to take me to Old Trafford. "It was close to being done, but then Tottenham came back and said they could do it".

- Eden Hazard [source]:
“I had a chance to sign for Manchester United, Man City, Tottenham, but I made the right decision,”

- Lewandowski [source]:
Dortmund managed to keep Lewandowski for another two seasons, but he admits he was interested to move to Old Trafford after they Ferguson had shown interest. “I was speaking with him [Ferguson] after two years at Dortmund and at that time I was really thinking about a move to Manchester United,” Lewandowski told The Guardian. “Because of Ferguson and because of Manchester United. Borussia Dortmund said: ‘No, that’s that.’ That was the first time I was thinking about the move because if you get a phone call from Sir Alex Ferguson, for a young player it was something amazing. That was a special day for me.”
Great post.

Litch

This is it. There's been a lot of chests puffed and bullishness in the media from Dortmund's side, yet none of it has been from Sancho. It would've been very easy for this to be put to bed by Sancho making a statement that he intends to stay. The fact we're getting all this bluster without any definitive statement would suggest Dortmund are either worried that he'll still go, or they have already accepted it and are just trying to squeeze out an extra few quid.
Yep, try having talks with Spurs about Harry or PSG about Neymar, that wouldn't be met with we the club 'expect' them to be here next season.....would be a definitive 'not for sale under any circumstance'

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Regardless of anything else coming out. Anything from that Norwegian git Keane punched, from the italian on Twitter, anything from Zorc or Dorc or Bjork...

Ultimately if it's true that Sancho is the number 1 target and the one United are giving sole focus to and throwing everything behind, then it'll get done. Basically if they're going balls-deep for him. Not sure I personally buy that line, which is why I think next Summer is more likely. But if it is true then United will pay up by October 4th and he'll come.
Yeah it's so clear he's our number 1 target I can't see us missing out on him. There will be more cries of not backing the manager than there ever was under Mourinho and that's not something the club are going to want off the back of a positive season.

Think it'll take a while longer than first expected, but will get done eventually, and probably before either ours or Dortmunds seasons begin.

RUCK4444

I'd love for us to sign Sancho but it is worth remembering that United have missed out on lots of players in the past and it has mostly not stopped us being successful. It is also not really a reflection on Woodward or the current negotiation team. A lot of it is economics, politics, bureaucracy and what the player wants. Here are a few examples:

- Gascoigne [source]:
Paul Gascoigne has said one of the greatest regrets of his playing career was to have turned down Manchester United. On the other side of that coin, United's manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, has long maintained that "not getting Gazza" was the biggest disappointment of his managerial career. Gascoigne, 41, said he was shown around United's training ground as a young player but when he left Newcastle United in 1988 it was for Tottenham instead.

- Shearer [source]:
"I sat down with both Kevin Keegan and Sir Alex on the same day, in a house in Cheshire, believe it or not," said Shearer. "I spoke to Kevin Keegan in the morning, talks had gone really really well, very positive."....And Sir Alex's first question was 'am I seeing you first, or second?'. And I said I saw Kevin this morning, and he said 'basically I've got no chance, then'. In other words he wanted to see me first and he was disappointed he didn't do that. But I thought the talks went extremely well, I was really impressed with what he had to say." Shearer then revealed he made the demand about penalties, which was met with a stony-faced Ferguson.

- Ronaldinho [source]:
“I remember two or three that were possibly coming,” Scholes recalled on the BBC’s Savage Social podcast earlier this week. “I think the one that stands out is Ronaldinho. He was away on pre-season and we were as close as announcing him and giving him a number but I think he ended up changing his mind at the last minute and signing for Barcelona".

- Toni Kroos [source]:
"I knew before that Manchester wanted me," Kroos said. "And Moyes underlined that absolutely. It was a really nice afternoon with very nice people. We talked a lot about United's footballing plan which convinced me. In the end, we agreed to do it. We agreed verbally.".

- Fabregas [source]:
"After the week I had to take my chance, I had Manchester City, United and then I spoke to Mourinho – which I didn’t think would ever happen."

- Robben [source]:
"I had a very good conversation with him (Ferguson) over dinner in Manchester and we spoke about football and life. I also went and had a good look around the training ground and everything was good, but after I went back to PSV nothing happened. There was no real contact and the deal didn't happen....Had Manchester United offered me a deal straight after I met them, I would have signed there, but it didn't happen and I have got no regrets."

- Gareth Bale [source]:
And Ferguson claims that Bale would have been a United player in but for Southampton’s decision to reject their bid for the youngster in January 2007. “We were disappointed in Southampton at the time because we were first there, but they never came back to us,” Ferguson said. “It was not the boy who turned us down, it was Southampton, then a few weeks later he signed for Tottenham Hotspur".

- Sneijder [source]
On United's interest in his services, the Dutch playmaker told Galatasaray Dergisi: "We had some talks with Alex Ferguson back in 2010. "They [United] contacted the club after our Treble season but too much money was asked for. And I was also happy at Inter so I decided to stay. Manchester United are a fantastic club and they kept showing interest after that year but not as determined as before."

- Patrick Kluivert [source]:
"It won't be the last time this kind of thing happens but players we really want we usually get," Ferguson said. "We were led to believe he wanted to speak to us, but you know what agents are like. Maybe he doesn't know how big a club Manchester United is."

- Gary Lineker [source]:
"Right at the 11th hour it suddenly appeared that Spurs might not be able to do the deal, financially," his answer read. "That's when my agent spoke with Alex Ferguson, who was keen to take me to Old Trafford. "It was close to being done, but then Tottenham came back and said they could do it".

- Eden Hazard [source]:
“I had a chance to sign for Manchester United, Man City, Tottenham, but I made the right decision,”

- Lewandowski [source]:
Dortmund managed to keep Lewandowski for another two seasons, but he admits he was interested to move to Old Trafford after they Ferguson had shown interest. “I was speaking with him [Ferguson] after two years at Dortmund and at that time I was really thinking about a move to Manchester United,” Lewandowski told The Guardian. “Because of Ferguson and because of Manchester United. Borussia Dortmund said: ‘No, that’s that.’ That was the first time I was thinking about the move because if you get a phone call from Sir Alex Ferguson, for a young player it was something amazing. That was a special day for me.”
The common denominator in that though? Sir Alex.

mav_9me

Anyway. What's the common trait of Liverpool won the League with record breaking points, and PSG, Lyon, Bayern, and Barcelona in CL semifinal?
They all don't have Sancho.

So missing out on him is supposedly not a big deal to be a top team.
One of the most nonsensical posts I have ever seen. So Barcelona should look at these teams and say wait a second they don't have Messi but they are winning and doing good. Natural conclusion having Messi doesn't make a difference right?

This is what I was getting at. Lot of confusion about possible wages that doesnt quite add up, so taking the reports about a possible wage cut with a respectably sized pinch of salt.
Widely spoken about that we’ve agreed terms with him. That’s the thing to pay attention to, not the wage cut waffle.
Agree with @Judas. No way is Sancho going to take a wage cut. But my advise and what I do is ignore wages discussion.

I understand your frustration but you have to remember where you are. You are writing in a forum dedicated to Manchester United and you have to be aware that for example the sentiment that the Sancho transfer won't happen this summer is not really what people want to hear. You basically have to be extra careful not to step on people's toes if you actually want them to listen to you. And if you think no proper discussion can be had just don't post because what you are doing now is simply counterproductive and agitates people even more so they won't listen at all to "the brigade of german fans invading the caf". There is a reason I don't have a lot of posts because I feel a proper discussion usually takes time and oftentimes I don't think it is worth it. So if all you can contribute is "you're all a bunch of idiots haha" maybe just think it to yourself, however warranted it may be.
well said

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yeah, of course :lol: How can not everyone see it? I mean look at Dortmund, they are so desperate, desperation is all over them. Don't you see it?
Reports today that Dortmund believe they can get more next summer....no proof of that I.e pay us what we want. All the noise is coming from Dortmund’s side. How often does a club not wanting to sell a player keep briefing ? You literally make one statement

Litch

Utd genuine interest in players is like a royal wedding engagement, you know about it for day one so if feels forever till the bloody wedding day. You get the 'blow by blow' that's it feels that dragged out, you can't wait till it's over. When my nephew told me he was getting engaged, I wasn't interested until I had to make sure my suit still fit me the week before the wedding dance. That's how the media view other transfers.

peridigm

Yeah it's so clear he's our number 1 target I can't see us missing out on him. There will be more cries of not backing the manager than there ever was under Mourinho and that's not something the club are going to want off the back of a positive season.

Think it'll take a while longer than first expected, but will get done eventually, and probably before either ours or Dortmunds seasons begin.
I think our chances of signing him are higher than not. I also think if we don’t sign him, the club have the perfect excuse this season, as do all clubs.

RUCK4444

You've completely missed the point, again.
Sorry Uncle Bob, please remind me again which point I missed last time? I don't even recognise you as a poster. :lol:

The point was clearly 'United will be ok regardless of not signing a big name player.' Yes, ok, perhaps we will.

Perhaps, however, we don't do as well as this season, struggle to make top four, Ole get's the sack, we start the merry dance of the last 6 years again. The latter never being a possibility under SAF.

That sound inconceivable to you Uncle Bob?

cyberman

for the fee that Dortmund wanted
But they were still sold when the club initially refused?
So the players got their way. Its not as if they were asking to be sold on the cheap. I dont even remember them being lowballed before their moves.

RUCK4444

Kroos was a Moyes target
Still, the common theme amongst those players is Sir Alex. Who, whatever the outcome of a given transfer, would absolutely have us challenging the next season.

We don't have that luxury now, plus the league is arguably stronger, as are our rivals.

UncleBob

He followed up on it and said it was positive information though.
It means feck all. It's a pretty simple statement to make, he joins in on the bandwagon due to the amount of noise around the transfer, he then backs off a bit with his "i had information".

OleTheGreat

In all fairness i think United have done well in holding off Dortmund because we are a huge club and we need to be shown respect. We've always said that no player is bigger than the club and we need players to respect that. I agree that Sancho is an amazing player but to pay 120 mil during these trying times is hard for even the richest of clubs. What baffles me the most is, we are always overpaying clubs to get our intended targets. Pogba, Maguire and now it's with Sancho and i think this needs to end. I rather we go at Traore than meet the deadline set by a club. I'm happy if this money goes into other transfers and we're able to add like 3-4 players to this squad. I still think we have an exciting squad if we add a defensive midfielder, a forward who can play on both sides of the wing especially on the right and maybe a proper left back because i'm tired of Shaw.

With regards to Sancho, i hope he pushes for a move and gets it done because i don't believe for one sec that he's worth 120 mil even if we can afford it. Maybe 90+30 should work but i still don't think it's fair for us to pay the sum after Zorc being so outright about keeping the player. Even though i'd love for him to play for us, it's not the end of the world if he doesn't. I'm very sure our academy can come up with 120 mil worth players in the near future. So, for those who are biting their nails off regarding this transfer, you need to relax. We can definitely grow regardless of his inclusion in the mix. I'm still not saying we don't need him, i'm just saying let's not get written off if he's not here by the end of the transfer window.

I will still be a super United fan and want them to keep pushing for the title regardless!

Fracture90

Monaco wanted 180m-190m (I give you a spanish report) from both PSG and Real Madrid, one paid the other didn't, so no there was no little extra for PSG. The difference was that PSG convinced Mbappé to pick them.
There's probably more to that, but guess we'll never know. Still it doesn't change the fact that both sides and especially PSG had benefited from loan + purchase agreement.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, of course :lol: How can not everyone see it? I mean look at Dortmund, they are so desperate, desperation is all over them. Don't you see it?
If Dortmund want him to stay, if he’s happy to stay and you’ll get more next year then why the hell are Dortmund even entertaining the idea of a sale? It’s utter madness. The lady doth protest too much, as they say in the shires.

theklr

It means feck all. It's a pretty simple statement to make, he joins in on the bandwagon due to the amount of noise around the transfer, he then backs off a bit with his "i had information".
Think he is just playing around for shits and giggles?

DarkDog

Everybody who has come to defend Ed or Glazers here are just funny. Ed is doing Ed right now. Don't tell me that Ed is not doing this right now and Judge is. Ed is the main guy, he is the one who everybody reports to. He will set the bar for the highest offer that his representatives can make. If he tells them to offer 60 million euros, then this is what they will offer. Ed gets his budgets from Glazers. 60mil for Jadon Sancho, have you seen what he can do on the pitch, his stats, is totally lowballing BVB. And i am not surprised that they tried to lowball Sancho himself with asking him to take a wage cut.
The other thing is that everybody keeps mentioning Dembele and Aubameyang. With Auba, they knew they will sell him. they wanted to sell him because he was getting older and it was last time to get a deal for him. and they got 50 or more for him from Arsenal (!!), you know the guys who offered 50+1 pound for Suarez :). Dembele was total pain in the arse for BVB ever since the season ended, he wanted to go. Dembele did everything he could to get the move, he didnt go to the training camp, gave in transfer request, the whole nine yards to get the move, and BVB still got every penny that they wanted and more. + there were rambling from the start of the training camp that BVB (plus us and Tottenham) wanted Sancho. so they already had another new target identified/maybe even agreed.
And dont read so many twitter posts from the so called experts like Romano etc. They didnt even know that Sancho had agreed new contract LAST YEAR!!! :D They are just pandering to the largest audience in the world.
Can you imagine having Rashford Martial/Greenwood Sancho front three? BVB can, that is why they wont negotiate less that 120 million. They know that with good European Cup Sancho will be the target for PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid and they wont start with 60 million offer for Sancho. Fergie and Gill were smart, they always tried to buy before WC and EC.

UncleBob

Think he is just playing around for shits and giggles?
Any absolute fecktard could post exactly the same tweets based on nothing else than pure imagination, it's not like he's making clear cut claims that can be proved at a later stage.

Fracture90

What if we can't agree on a structured deal and he says he wants to go but Dortmund don't sanction the transfer?I don't see how Sancho benefits trying to agitate for a move if Dortmund don't budge from their valuation.
cause it wouldn't work. Dortmund are renowned for ignoring the player's plea and stick to their own guns.
It's an interesting situation. Say Sancho starts forcing a move, but Dortmund refuses to sell short of their €120m evaluation. Now it's a conundrum. If they don't sell they're left with a disgruntled player, if they bench him for a season he will lose his value and it may prove detrimental to them in the long run. If they keep playing him, will he be as committed. Young players will think twice about commiting knowing they will potentially miss out of a dream move due to Dortmund asking for an exuberant amount of money.

Of course it's always possible to come to some sort of an arrangement between the player and the club.

Just food for thought, nothing more.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Being close on a fee with only the structure being the issue is huge news though
That clearly isn't correct though given how he's now gone on pre-season and the noises coming out from Dortmund is that we're still miles apart. If it was just the structure to sort then it would have been sorted by now and he'd not be preparing for their new season. Clearly it's more than structure. It's the price too.

Romano's full of shit mate. They all are. They do get some snippets of information here and there of course they do but a lot of what they do is educated guess work and being vague as possible.

cyberman

Honestly Dortmund made more money on them than they were worth imo, so not the best of examples.
But they werent for sale, chairs were thrown. 2 went on strike and forced Dortmunds hands.
The price is immaterial really.
The same way if Sancho forces a move and they get 100m.
In none of those recent examples did Dortmund show how good they are at ignoring trouble makers requests. The opposite is true

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's an interesting situation. Say Sancho starts forcing a move, but Dortmund refuses to sell short of their €120m evaluation. Now it's a conundrum. If they don't sell they're left with a disgruntled player, if they bench him for a season he will lose his value and it may prove detrimental to them in the long run. If they keep playing him, will he be as committed. Young players will think twice about commiting knowing they will potentially miss out of a dream move due to Dortmund asking for an exuberant amount of money.

Of course it's always possible to come to some sort of an arrangement between the player and the club.

Just food for thought, nothing more.
Yeah, but will he be that disappointed if he stays at Dortmund for another year? He doesn't give off that impression in any of his recent interviews, quite the opposite to be fair.

I think he'll join us if the opportunity arrises, but I don't think he'll go to the extent of kicking up a fuss or requesting a transfer to make it happen.

Giggsy13

Wow going all the way back to gascoigne and shearer to talk about big targets we’ve missed. What a useless comparison to potentially missing out on Sancho when we aren’t even close to the team that was pursuing and missing out on those past targets. If we don’t get Sancho this summer, it would be an embarrassment and complete failure. No competition for his signature, a glaring need at RW and a potentially generational young English talent. This is a no brainer yet here we are.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Dortmund want him to stay, if he’s happy to stay and you’ll get more next year then why the hell are Dortmund even entertaining the idea of a sale? It’s utter madness. The lady doth protest too much, as they say in the shires.
Promising him to sell when certain conditions are met was probably part of the bargain when they signed him.

Can't ever be wrong when you communicate in one character tweets. I think he has evolved to the next level of sports journalism.

Skåre Willoch

Promising him to sell when certain conditions are met was probably part of the bargain when they signed him.

Can't ever be wrong when you communicate in one character tweets. I think he has evolved to the next level of sports journalism.
He's evolved into a football god. This is his Amadeus moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.