Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Sancho isn't alone what turns us into contenders next season, but he's obviously a very vital and key piece of the puzzle, and it seems Ole agrees.
Yeah. He's the single biggest step we can make towards being contenders. There is still work to be done, but that work is achievable every summer, to have a free run at a top level player like this is almost unheard of (for us anyway.)

ROFLUTION

I would love Sancho here, but imagine how nice it would be with Greenwood developing for a full year and THEN buying Sancho (maybe a tad cheaper too).

Woodzy

I would love Sancho here, but imagine how nice it would be with Greenwood developing for a full year and THEN buying Sancho (maybe a tad cheaper too).
I don't think we will get the free run at Sancho next year that we have right now. Now is the time to sign him, otherwise we run the risk of the big boys getting involved.

Greenwood will get plenty of time to play and develop, I wouldn't worry about that. In fact, without Sancho I would worry about overplaying him.

romufc

Sancho coming would not mean Greenwood doesn't develop.

The reason we need Sancho is because Greenwood is not a RW, and we need an out an out RW.

We play CL and PL which means players will need to play 2/3 games a week all season, you cannot expect our front 3 to do that, we will need players to bring on due to fitness and injuries.

Sancho still has 3 years on his contract, so getting him cheaper? No chance when other clubs may be in for him too.

La Pioche

Do you really think Sancho is cheaper after another Season full of class? With his growing experience he will only get better. Don‘t forget the Euros too. It‘s now or never in my opinion.

RUCK4444

I see your point, he does excel in the bundesliga as stats show, I just hope if we get him he manages to make it in the PL, hoping we avoid another Mhki stiuation (23 goals 32 assists before he joined us)

As for the salary, was just to understand the overall structure of the fee we are supposed to pay and the add-ons. Personally I think we can recoup a lot of the fee in shirt sales if we do give him the number 7 shirt, anyway, let's hope we can wrap this up as our transfer activity has been non-existent so far...
I don't see the PL transition being an issue whatsoever, the lad is British, came through British academy. His technique is top level, he won't have any issue in that respect.

For sure the fanfare around his signing would be huge, he has massive appeal for fans young and old. I think this is part of what Ed really likes about the possible transfer because he loves a marketable player.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Or Greenwood ends up like James, burned out and firing blanks having been overused because there wasn't enough depth for rotation.

ROFLUTION

Or Greenwood ends up like James, burned out and firing blanks having been overused because there wasn't enough depth for rotation.
Well obviously the idea was to then sign a backup to not get tired ala Fraser, Brooks or some work-man who can be okay with the bench at times

Redcy

Yeah as has been said relying on 3 young lads for a full PL/CL season is a bad idea, or we end up playing Mata, Pereira, Lingard in the RW. Sancho won't come down in cost next year as he will still have 2 years on his contract, and chances are that other clubs may be able to come in for him. If Liverpool save their cash this year and have another good season then they will have filled their coffers and can offer him a better option.

Redcy

Well obviously the idea was to then sign a backup to not get tired ala Fraser, Brooks or some work-man who can be okay with the bench at times
All those options seem to be cashing in at 30m+ though and Brooks is not a winger anyway.

The available options out there seem to be:

Sarr - 40-50m
Dembele - Loan with obligation to buy at 60-90m
Costa - 40-50m
Traore - 70m
Zaha - 70m

none of which fill me with massive hope.

Mac Asimov

No, this is the sticking point, total costs with agents fees and salary is supposed to be 200m
Ah the english tabloids, they just love adding full contract wages to any deal utd are involved with. Wages for any of the top end players range from 150k to 250k after tax so pre tax wages multiplied by a 5 year contract can be eye watering to most of us.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I genuinely don't see how United will miss out on him, even if he's the only signing at this point, obviously we need a player like Grealish and a CB too but Sancho is the priority this window.

Keeping Smalling isn't a bad option this year instead of chasing an extra CB.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Although people decry the sources, there have been a couple of gentle "price too much we're pulling out" articles recently.

I suppose it's when 4-5 all have that story at the same time we can all finally move on

crossy1686

career ending
Although people decry the sources, there have been a couple of gentle "price too much we're pulling out" articles recently.

I suppose it's when 4-5 all have that story at the same time we can all finally move on
Nah, this is just the next part of the cycle after no new updates regarding the transfer recently. United are most likely already looking at other players now, Coman being one, in an attempt to call Dortmund's bluff. Take £90m now or we go elsewhere and next summer you get less for him.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Not if the club gets run into the ground it won't
Would have happened by now if it were going to... all the evidence is to the contrary. The Glazers might seem a bit stingy compared to an Arab owner but they’re good businessmen and have run the club in a fiscally sound manner.

ROFLUTION

All those options seem to be cashing in at 30m+ though and Brooks is not a winger anyway.

The available options out there seem to be:

Sarr - 40-50m
Dembele - Loan with obligation to buy at 60-90m
Costa - 40-50m
Traore - 70m
Zaha - 70m

none of which fill me with massive hope.
Orrrr, Fraser at 0m.

ROFLUTION

Sounds about right. If we do pull out, I think we'd be interested in doing it without too much drama maybe via some credible journo ala Ornstein or Romano, as we'd still want to sign Sancho later on.

MUFromLTU

108million In a couple years will seem like a bargain!

What is up with people that think buying at an ATH is a good investment :( Just because prices were increasing all the time for past years doesn't mean the bubble won't pop eventually.

Especially when it's projected this winter/2021 will be the most challenging economical periods that we have seen since the great depression.

I simply can't see 100m+ transfers happening next season.

Redcy

What is up with people that think buying at an ATH is a good investment :( Just because prices were increasing all the time for past years doesn't mean the bubble won't pop eventually.

Especially when it's projected this winter/2021 will be the most challenging economical periods that we have seen since the great depression.

Well even if that is true, assuming prices come down what makes you think we would be in with a shout then? Assuming Sancho's price comes in to 70m even you don't think there will be a bunch more clubs capable of buying?

crossy1686

career ending
We are one of the biggest football clubs in the world. We are not going to be run into the ground in a few years, that is bullshit.
Spending money you don't have with no guarantees of it coming in is the quickest way to go to the wall. I'd like to remind you Liverpool were 24 hours away from going into administration under Gillette and Hicks. It can happen.

lysglimt

Scout
Not if the club gets run into the ground it won't
We saved £40 million on Alexis wages - we realistically made £70-80 million for reaching the C.L

Of course we can afford it - the question is, what can we afford afterwards

romufc

Spending money you don't have with no guarantees of it coming in is the quickest way to go to the wall. I'd like to remind you Liverpool were 24 hours away from going into administration under Gillette and Hicks. It can happen.
I would also like to remind you Liverpool have spent money and won the CL and the PL in the last two year.
Chelsea have spent alot of money and won the PL and the CL
City have spent alot of money and won the PL multiple times.

Teams that haven't spent much money... Arsenal, Spurs, and other clubs and only Leicester have won the PL.

So it is clear that you have more of a chance to win titles if you spend money.

Hoof the ball

Finishing top four should enable us to get high ceiling potential players like Sancho who help us close the gap massively on the likes of City and Liverpool, as well as make a go of it in the Champions League. Settling on secondary targets with a fraction of the potential or current ability minimise the ability to close a quality gap, especially if those above us invest in better quality players than we do, both in first team and squad depth fronts.

Sancho is a vital signing. More than vital. Imperative.We've got a free run at a potential Ballon D'or guy. Next time we get this kind of shot won't be soon.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The counter narrative to "He won't cost less next year" is that the clubs are still uncertain around Covid, will fans be back, will sponsors want to invest in marketing during a deep global recession etc... BVB may be desperate to sell in 12 months time or they could be in a position of strength, it is almost impossible to predict. But Utd will be trying to paint the former picture to get a better price.

ForeverRed1

im talking from a footballing perspective. Remember when sterling signed for city for 50mil and everyone thought they were crazy. He’s turned out a very good piece of business for them. Van dijk 75mil again, seemed crazy, turned out to be the catalyst for Liverpool. Of course 108 million is big big big money BUT if he makes us a better team and we win things he will present value.

He is a exceptional talent who will make us better, more clinical. Provide a killer edge which we do lack at times.

now let’s leave the finances up to the United board and see if they can come through with this!!! He is worth it..

RepardReece

im talking from a footballing perspective. Remember when sterling signed for city for 50mil and everyone thought they were crazy. He’s turned out a very good piece of business for them. Van dijk 75mil again, seemed crazy, turned out to be the catalyst for Liverpool. Of course 108 million is big big big money BUT if he makes us a better team and we win things he will present value.

He is a exceptional talent who will make us better, more clinical. Provide a killer edge which we do lack at times.

now let’s leave the finances up to the United board and see if they can come through with this!!! He is worth it..
Agreed. Not coming close to challenging for anything if Woodward doesn't get this deal done. 100mill is becoming the norm for rising stars.

If we walk away now, it's dreadful business from our point of view. Wasted a lot of time and resources looking at this deal if we walk, instead of looking at other potential options. Our board is letting Ole down. It's so frustratingly clear we need players, yet we're wasting most of the transfer window faffing around.

iHicksy

If you think we're likely going to get 8 years of service out of him minimum and potentially 10 depending on how his career goes then you have to say 120mil is more than reasonable for him.

MichaelRed

Dortmund saying there's no COVID discount is just to save face in my opinion. I think £108m is a COVID discount. 20 years old & on a level with players like Mbappe who is 21 & went for 160m. 3 years left on his deal & will easily be 150m next season with more than one suitor.

Glazers must love some of you doing all the PR work for them aswell. Acting like it's unreasonable to spend with COVID. Wake up and smell the coffee. We've not gone above 70m net spend under the Glazers without COVID. They've not invested a penny into the club but they've milked us for hundreds of millions & yet you get muppets on here defending them and falling for the COVID excuse like we'd have forked out 108m otherwise. Pathetic.

crossy1686

career ending
We saved £40 million on Alexis wages - we realistically made £70-80 million for reaching the C.L

Of course we can afford it - the question is, what can we afford afterwards
You're saying that is if we don't have any prior arranged outgoings. We're still paying for transfers we did the last couple of seasons and we're losing money, like everyone else in the current climate.

Matriac

If you think we're likely going to get 8 years of service out of him minimum and potentially 10 depending on how his career goes then you have to say 120mil is more than reasonable for him.
Even if we don't it's more likely that we recoup at least a significant part of the investment.
Unless he were to run down a 5 + 1 contract. But I'm sure he either wants a raise in that time or to move on after 3-4 years if we were to never come near to competing in that time, which I see as unlikely.

But I also see why it makes sense to keep negotiating if we think a better deal can be made.

crossy1686

career ending
I would also like to remind you Liverpool have spent money and won the CL and the PL in the last two year.
Chelsea have spent alot of money and won the PL and the CL
City have spent alot of money and won the PL multiple times.

Teams that haven't spent much money... Arsenal, Spurs, and other clubs and only Leicester have won the PL.

So it is clear that you have more of a chance to win titles if you spend money.
So you're completely disregarding my point of Liverpool almost going into administration by saying they then went on to spend money and win things, after selling Coutinho that is, coupled that with examples of City and Chelsea's oil-rich owners spending ability?

romufc

So you're completely disregarding my point of Liverpool almost going into administration by saying they then went on to spend money and win things, after selling Coutinho that is, coupled that with examples of City and Chelsea's oil-rich owners spending ability?
Clearly you do not see the point.. Manchester United is a self sufficient club. Owners make money from the club, do you get that? We make money, profit... that gets paid in dividend.

So Liverpool have spent all that money jsut from Couthinho? Coutinho payed for 3 windows and pay rises to clubs?

We are a rich club. We are not going to become bankrupt after one signing.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Players return to Carrington for training on Sep 2nd. Would ideally have liked this transfer if it is even happening to be done by then but not looking likely.

He might back the owners and Ed in public but inside, Ole must be fuming at their clear incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.