Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He obviously wants to come home, who flys to the UK that often if they don’t?

Thiagoal

So all that sweat and tears to get in top four was pretty much a waste. I truly thought having pulled it off, we would be able to attract the stars we need. I forgot what a total tosser Woodward is, what a complete mess the club set-up is really in (90 years on we will still be "looking to appoint a DoF).

What a waste to time (doing no other transfer work while this was going on). It honestly looks like the hierarchy is happy with top-four finish and not interested in actually mounting a challenge for title. The current squad isn't strong enough to go deep into the CL either.

These days, the chance for United to sign top-class stars isn't what it used to be. So many other clubs with big money. Total feck-up. What a disgrace
Our sole reason for reaching top 4 was to get Sancho....ok :houllier:

RUCK4444

I agree with the sentiment but if you look at it this way, we aren’t going to win the CL next season, effectively it is a much more important achievement in a sense of retaining tv revenue and sponsorship and signing top level players.

The latter being more important to the average fan.

If we waste this transfer window it will be criminal. Next year will be a struggle once fatigue kicks in again, we may not achieve top four again next season without top additions to the squad. So everything we worked for this year could be wasted.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Few things here. To begin, I'm yet to see reliable reports to suggest they want 120m up front? That's a ridiculous sentiment that I believe has originated from Fab's tweet a few days ago about them not accepting ridiculous instalments. If they wanted 120m up front in this environment, we would not be negotiating with them (if we even still are). They would want respectable instalments which would amount to the 120m, which is very reasonable for a player of his qualities.

Here's one article by James Drucker that states the upfront portion is also a major sticking point : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-borussia-dortmund-despite-manchester-united/
Yes, Fab+others had stated Dortmund aren't budging (yet at least) on installments. You either think Fab is not reliable, or you agree that it's likely a genuine stumbling block and the reason we haven't secured the signing as of yet. The latter makes much sense, particularly when the likes of Hirst, even Howard Nurse had thought it was an inevitability within a short time at some point, before the impasse (i.e. amount was less of an issue and the fee structure was a bigger issue).
So going back to the point, Sancho wouldn't be upset at us that we can't put together close to 120 fecking million euros upfront for him alone. When the likes of Chelsea bring in 3-4 top players for the same grand total, he's sensible enough to understand that the selling club are playing unnecessary hard ball.
If we are going to be pedantic, if we couldn't afford him, we would have never went into this in the first place, the board aren't stupid, they would have known how much he would have been valued at before going into this. We chose to continue pursuing him and we are choosing not to pay what is required, despite knowing his value.
We can afford him, but we would rightly stretch out negotiations on demanding upfront fees. Especially in this environment, it's simple business sense to do so. It's quite rare for massive transfers to be paid upfront, are you mad?!
Secondly, I've never claimed he was desperate to move. I have maintained that he would want the move though. If he didn't, he wouldn't have agreed terms with us, stayed quiet when asked publicly etc.
The entire premise of your post re. this point, was that he was so set on moving that he'd be massively upset to the extent that he'd hold a grudge against us for not getting it done. That sounds pretty fecking desperate to me.
Thirdly, 'he should push for the move if he wants to really come' is a nonsense argument. We haven't agreed a fee with Dortmund. It's hardly as if Dortmund are just refusing to let the lad go. They gave us a figure, we haven't bid anything close to it, why would he risk ruining his relationship with his current employer for a club that doesn't even seem interested in him enough to put forward a respectable bid? Not to add, he has a lot to thank Dortmund for, which is more incentive for him not to act up.
If Dortmund had agreed to a fee, do you really think Sancho would need to request a transfer? How do you know we've had no other approaches rejected? As per Romano for example, we touted 80 + remainder over installments and it was rejected.
Also as I've already said, it won't be the be all and end all for him joining us next summer, but It would for sure be something he considers if he does have multiple suitors, offering similar terms and similar, if not better, progression. If anyone was offered a job with more pay, somewhere they've wanted to work for years. You're told you got the job, only for it to fall through because they don't value you enough. It would annoy anyone. Even if you were happy at your current job.

It's obvious this is something we don't agree on though, so let's leave it here, can't be arsed discussing
It really won't.

Redcy

I agree with the sentiment but if you look at it this way, we aren’t going to win the CL next season, effectively it is a much more important achievement in a sense of retaining tv revenue and sponsorship and signing top level players.

The latter being more important to the average fan.

If we waste this transfer window it will be criminal. Next year will be a struggle once fatigue kicks in again, we may not achieve top four again next season without top additions to the squad. So everything we worked for this year could be wasted.
Not how the board will see it, the hope will be that we can scrape top 4. If we do that, job done.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
So all that sweat and tears to get in top four was pretty much a waste. I truly thought having pulled it off, we would be able to attract the stars we need. I forgot what a total tosser Woodward is, what a complete mess the club set-up is really in (90 years on we will still be "looking to appoint a DoF).

What a waste to time (doing no other transfer work while this was going on). It honestly looks like the hierarchy is happy with top-four finish and not interested in actually mounting a challenge for title. The current squad isn't strong enough to go deep into the CL either.

These days, the chance for United to sign top-class stars isn't what it used to be. So many other clubs with big money. Total feck-up. What a disgrace

I guess the club isn't bigger than players in your opinion these days?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we don’t get Sancho what even is the point of playing in the Champions League?
If we didn't get Sancho I'd imagine we'd end the transfer window with alternative signings. I don't think our window will be Sancho or bust.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we didn't get Sancho I'd imagine we'd end the transfer window with alternative signings. I don't think our window will be Sancho or bust.
Yeah but the Champions League matches would still be redundant?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah but the Champions League matches would still be redundant?
Why? I mean it's pretty far-fetched to suggest Sancho is going to magically win us the Champions League in the first place.

Redcy

The issue is the level of player being touted as alternative investments.

Brooks, Dembele even, all have a massive problems, add in we might go strengthen other areas with bang average players, or pay a United tax on Grealish, Rice, etc.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If we don’t get Sancho what even is the point of playing in the Champions League?
There's no point. We should just forfeit all games next season and have a bash at the Championship. We might win summat... or at least lose in the semi-final of the playoffs?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
To be fair I can understand the frustration and senti. So much emphasis put on qualifying and for what? Our focus should be always footballing achievements not financial. The latter should support the former.

With the current squad we can’t win the league or CL so one of the main purposes of securing CL football is to attract better players and retain our best players. It should never be the end goal though to just participate.

With the window still open we still have time to strengthen but so far Chelsea have made some very astute and sensible transfers, City have added a dash of quality (although the loss of Silva I feel will still be felt) and Liverpool (who don’t really need to add much) are still adding bits and bobs.

Chelsea’s strengthening has on paper elevated them to 3rd best squad which relegates us to 4th best squad enough to qualify for the champions league as things stand but not enough for us to make a serious leap towards City and Liverpool.

Signing Sancho would be a significant step in the right direction and show the club’s intent to make a league title a distinct possibility. The lack of investment so far is worrying and with new season around the corner it’s important this week to make more serious movements.

All in all Sancho could be a gateway signing to having a balanced and exciting young squad that may in the coming years develop into a title winning side.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The issue is the level of player being touted as alternative investments.

Brooks, Dembele even, all have a massive problems, add in we might go strengthen other areas with bang average players, or pay a United tax on Grealish, Rice, etc.
Less related to Champions League, but I'd be happy with Grealish + 2 others if it came to it. I'm sick and tired of of seeing us be upheld to silly demands on transfer activity, so Dortmund can feck off if they really want close to the full fee all upfront.
:lol: Either get some coffee down you or turn on your sarcasm detector.
It's hard to tell! The above reply looks genuine! Well played @Pexbo

romufc

Sancho isn't alone what turns us into contenders next season, but he's obviously a very vital and key piece of the puzzle, and it seems Ole agrees.
We all agree with this but the issue is spend £108m on Sancho or

3 x £30/40m transfers? e.g. CB, backup CM, RW (Brooks, Costa) - will that improve us that much?

OR

We get Sancho which will most definitely improve us and sell 3 players and get 1 more backup player?

Redcy

Less related to Champions League, but I'd be happy with Grealish + 2 others if it came to it. I'm sick and tired of of seeing us be upheld to silly demands on transfer activity, so Dortmund can feck off if they really want close to the full fee all upfront.

I have no problems with Grealish and 2 others, my concern is there doesn't seem to be much we can get sensibly, if you told me Grealish at 40-50m, Chiesa and 45m and a CB for 35m I'm all in. We are being quoted 80m for Grealish and 40m for Brooks, if thats where the market is then Sancho seems like a bargain right now.

Redcy

For me the idea of Costa, Dembele, or Brooks seem like bad ideas for a variety of reasons.

Redcy

I assumed Pexbo was on the wind up has to be said.

Judas

Open to offers
We all agree with this but the issue is spend £108m on Sancho or

3 x £30/40m transfers? e.g. CB, backup CM, RW (Brooks, Costa) - will that improve us that much?

OR

We get Sancho which will most definitely improve us and sell 3 players and get 1 more backup player?
I know its just an example, but anyone even remotely interested in Costa needs their head examining.

I'd take option two all day long. Rather build slower with absolute quality, than fill gaps with player of a lower standard, exactly like a truly average player like Douglas Costa.

Redcy

Just a question, the 120 million fee, does it include his wages/bonuses during the contract period?
No, this is the sticking point, total costs with agents fees and salary is supposed to be 200m

Lowkey

just pay the money and get this one over the line, and get rid of deadwood at the club to compensate. Simples.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Nope. Just the fee to Dortmund to let him leave before his contract ends.
No, this is the sticking point, total costs with agents fees and salary is supposed to be 200m

Thank you gentlemen, damn 200 mill for Sancho, I mean the highlights are great but is he really worth that amount? if we get 2 midfielders for 80 mil each that would still be good, I mean Bruno cost in that region and he looked great value for money honestly... I miss the days where we scout an unknown player and he turns out a Chicharito for example, we are paying over the odds just because we are Manchester United

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The fact BD are trying to force us to use an agent of their chosing for negotiations they expect us to pay for fully is taking the piss. Then Sancho's agent will want his fee as well.

RUCK4444

Not how the board will see it, the hope will be that we can scrape top 4. If we do that, job done.
Well if that happens and we sack Ole as a result of not being backed I genuinely think I might be done with the club, in the sense that I can't invest as much time and emotional attachment as I do currently until the current owners have moved on.

Not that it would matter one jot to them, so long as the brand they did nothing to create keeps sh*tting money into their laps they couldn't give a toss about fans and our success.

RUCK4444

Thank you gentlemen, damn 200 mill for Sancho, I mean the highlights are great but is he really worth that amount? if we get 2 midfielders for 80 mil each that would still be good, I mean Bruno cost in that region and he looked great value for money honestly... I miss the days where we scout an unknown player and he turns out a Chicharito for example, we are paying over the odds just because we are Manchester United
Yes he is. Check his numbers across Europe and he's right up there, he's feckin 20 years old so his peak isn't even going to hit until what 7 years time?

The best players are 'Covid-Discount' immune (not that there is any proof that even exists), they will move for the same massive numbers between the very biggest teams.

What's the point also of lumping in his salary, what are we the Sun? Just look at the purchase price, it's fair for what we are getting. Then look at the crazy money we are paying players who he will be better than. There's your answer.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Yes he is. Check his numbers across Europe and he's right up there, he's feckin 20 years old so his peak isn't even going to hit until what 7 years time?

The best players are 'Covid-Discount' immune (not that there is any proof that even exists), they will move for the same massive numbers between the very biggest teams.

What's the point also of lumping in his salary, what are we the Sun? Just look at the purchase price, it's fair for what we are getting. Then look at the crazy money we are paying players who he will be better than. There's your answer.
I see your point, he does excel in the bundesliga as stats show, I just hope if we get him he manages to make it in the PL, hoping we avoid another Mhki stiuation (23 goals 32 assists before he joined us)

As for the salary, was just to understand the overall structure of the fee we are supposed to pay and the add-ons. Personally I think we can recoup a lot of the fee in shirt sales if we do give him the number 7 shirt, anyway, let's hope we can wrap this up as our transfer activity has been non-existent so far...

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Just show how pathetic our board are. They wait till the end of the season to enter the market while our rivals already bought players.

Just imagine that the PL will begin in 3 weeks and we will resume training next week. We absolutely need new players soon if we want to resist in the coming season. No winter break, long season, CL coming every week from October to December.

Just astonishing how poor we are as a club and how we are unprepared

romufc

I know its just an example, but anyone even remotely interested in Costa needs their head examining.

I'd take option two all day long. Rather build slower with absolute quality, than fill gaps with player of a lower standard, exactly like a truly average player like Douglas Costa.
This is the problem, if we go with squad option, we will be spending money on players that will be a risk. You do not know how certain players will integrate with the squad, why take such a big risk when we know Sancho would make the team better. It isnt like we need a RW is it though?

Why need players who will walk into the first 11, otherwise we will end up with more deadwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.