Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

If he came through the ranks at a different club and had the choice in the year 2000 (when he was Sancho's age) of signing for Chelsea or Man United, I would imagine he would have chosen to go to Man United.

That Sancho supported Chelsea growing up does not mean he'll sign for us, of course not. It certainly will have some bearing, how could it not? Put yourself in his shoes, you have the choice to sign for Man United of Chelsea, does being a fan mean nothing?
We signed Roney from his boyhood club at 18? Ronaldo turned down Madrid to sign for us as well.
Players really are not like us.

passing-wind

Sancho is one of the most circumspect singings in the market. We have every aspect going against us aside playing time in his pursuit and the majority of it hinge's on top four. I don't see Chelsea being in any better position then we are because like us I assume the fans think they will have a free run at him.

But in the scenario of Madrid, Barcelona and PSG being in the running for his signature, I've got no idea how anyone can think he'd be nailed on to play in the league outside the potential draw of Liverpool.

I think the Haaland debacle is a good measure of how successful we are going to be in the market with sought after individuals. We don't have the circumstances nor the managerial pull to attain these level of players. Some might look at it as pessimistic thinking but I think it's more tailored to the reality of our current standing as a club.

The time for Sancho was last summer in my honest opinion. With more clout he merely becomes a more desirable asset to the external environment outside everything Manchester United.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
We signed Roney from his boyhood club at 18? Ronaldo turned down Madrid to sign for us as well.
Players really are not like us.
If Everton were a Champions League club or even remotely close to Man Uniteds level that would be a reasonable comparison.

Ronaldo was a childhood Benfica fan so not sure what he has to do with anything.

I'm not saying that who someone supports is the most important thing, I'm simply saying it is not completely irrelevant.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think the Haaland debacle is a good measure of how successful we are going to be in the market with sought after individuals. We don't have the circumstances nor the managerial pull to attain these level of players. Some might look at it as pessimistic thinking but I think it's more tailored to the reality of our current standing as a club.

The time for Sancho was last summer in my honest opinion. With more clout he merely becomes a more desirable asset to the external environment outside everything Manchester United.
What do you 'think' happened with Haaland?

cyberman

If Everton were a Champions League club or even remotely close to Man Uniteds level that would be a reasonable comparison.

Ronaldo was a childhood Benfica fan so not sure what he has to do with anything.

I'm not saying that who someone supports is the most important thing, I'm simply saying it is not completely irrelevant.
He idolised Madrid and still turned them down for us?
Hell we signed Smith from Leeds ffs. All im saying is none of this is important unless he supports your team and its something to hold on to.
Mbappe loved Madrid and Ronaldo growing up but off he popped to PSG ahead of Real. When you reach a level it appears you get lost in the whole world of it all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hell we signed Smith from Leeds ffs. All im saying is none of this is important unless he supports your team and its something to hold on to.
Mbappe loved Madrid and Ronaldo growing up but off he popped to PSG ahead of Real. When you reach a level it appears you get lost in the whole world of it all.
I agree but I think if Sancho chose Chelsea it's not just down to the club he supported. The boy is from that area, he's a Londoner born and bread. It's not unrealistic to assume that after 2-3 years of foreign experiences, he wants to be closer to family. London I feel would be a bigger factor than it just being Chelsea (which would be icing on top, given its the club he supposedly supports).

passing-wind

What do you 'think' happened with Haaland?
I think that Raiola being the agent of Pogba saw the promises of Mourinho that the team would perform on all fronts and with the club massively underperforming, decided to play devil's advocate by asking for a release clause that would have seen his client attain a "get out of jail free" card with relative ease in future if necessary.

Then there's Haaland himself, if he was knowledgeable that we (United) had interest and his relationship was of any value in his playing career under Solskjaer, wouldn't his desire have overshadowed the will of Raiola ? The 20 million release clause was low so I don't believe Woodward would have opposed paying his father / Raiola money, I think the selling clause was the put off.

Dortmund are realistically a stepping club so it's fitting for players to cultivate moves elsewhere, therefore the fact that Haaland / Raiola seemingly stipulated the same terms to us as Dortmund would indicate that to them we are on a similar level.

duffer

Scout
As I said, who a player supports is not the most important thing. I'm just saying it's not nothing, that's all.

If you think who a player supports really does "mean nothing" (which is the post I was replying to) then fair enough. It's demonstrably not the case though, unless you think Alan Shearer picked Newcastle over Man United for more money or a better chance at silverware!

charlenefan

I agree but I think if Sancho chose Chelsea it's not just down to the club he supported. The boy is from that area, he's a Londoner born and bread. It's not unrealistic to assume that after 2-3 years of foreign experiences, he wants to be closer to family. London I feel would be a bigger factor than it just being Chelsea (which would be icing on top, given its the club he supposedly supports).
Sancho spent more time growing up near Watford and then in Manchester than he ever did in and around Chelsea, they may have been his team growing up but I'd use that in a very loose sense given he was with Watford from the age of 7

charlenefan

I think that Raiola being the agent of Pogba saw the promises of Mourinho that the team would perform on all fronts and with the club massively underperforming, decided to play devil's advocate by asking for a release clause that would have seen his client attain a "get out of jail free" card with relative ease in future if necessary.

Then there's Haaland himself, if he was knowledgeable that we (United) had interest and his relationship was of any value in his playing career under Solskjaer, wouldn't his desire have overshadowed the will of Raiola ? The 20 million release clause was low so I don't believe Woodward would have opposed paying his father / Raiola money, I think the selling clause was the put off.

Dortmund are realistically a stepping club so it's fitting for players to cultivate moves elsewhere, therefore the fact that Haaland / Raiola seemingly stipulated the same terms to us as Dortmund would indicate that to them we are on a similar level.
Right so you say it yourself the selling clause was the put off, if we miss out on Sancho for the same reason I'm more than happy to do so

duffer

Scout
Sancho spent more time growing up near Watford and then in Manchester than he ever did in and around Chelsea, they may have been his team growing up but I'd use that in a very loose sense given he was with Watford from the age of 7
He's born and raised about 4 miles from Stamford Bridge. He never lived in Watford. He was in Manchester for just two years, he's been in Germany longer!

charlenefan

He's born and raised about 4 miles from Stamford Bridge. He never lived in Watford. He was in Manchester for just two years, he's been in Germany longer!
A quick check on his Wiki says the complete opposite

passing-wind

Right so you say it yourself the selling clause was the put off, if we miss out on Sancho for the same reason I'm more than happy to do so
No not entirely:
"Dortmund are realistically a stepping club so it's fitting for players to cultivate moves elsewhere, therefore the fact that Haaland / Raiola seemingly stipulated the same terms to us as Dortmund would indicate that to them we are on a similar level."

The selling clause is a put off because of how our club is currently perceived to the agent / the player themselves. If for example Haaland was signing for Barcelona and they could guarantee his playing time why would he require a 50 million release clause ?

The reason as to why the player himself demands a release clause from our club is the reason we will struggle with sought after individuals, we are not a United of old that we the fans see indifferently. Our last decade of achievements is telling to our present circumstances and why we are seemingly struggling more and more for a certain calibre of players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As I said, who a player supports is not the most important thing. I'm just saying it's not nothing, that's all.

If you think who a player supports really does "mean nothing" (which is the post I was replying to) then fair enough. It's demonstrably not the case though, unless you think Alan Shearer picked Newcastle over Man United for more money or a better chance at silverware!
More often than not they don't care. Some players do, Reus with Dortmund, Totti/De Rossi with Roma or even Piqué with Barcelona but while we can name dozens of other examples, there are thousands of players demonstrating that it generally means nothing. The reality of that particular topic is that you would have to ask the concerned player in a context where he actually has the opportunity to make that move, otherwise it's not worth much as an argument because player rarely care from their POV it's a job and they want to make money and win silverware.

charlenefan

No not entirely, the selling clause is a put off because of how our club is currently perceived to the agent / the player themselves. If for example Haaland was signing for Barcelona and they could guarantee his playing time why would he require a 50 million release clause ?

The reason as to why the player himself demands a release clause from our club is the reason we will struggle with sought after individuals, we are not a United of old that we the fans see indifferently. Our last decade of achievements is telling to our present circumstances and why we are seemingly struggling more and more for a certain calibre of players.
You were in the room during the negotiations then? Because only then would you know why a release clause has been entered

I guess De Ligt's release clause was because he had similar concerns about Juve and nothing at all to do with Raiola wanting to ensure an easy pay check down the line...

JPRouve

Scout
You were in the room during the negotiations then? Because only then would you know why a release clause has been entered

I guess De Ligt's release clause was because he had similar concerns about Juve and nothing at all to do with Raiola wanting to ensure an easy pay check down the line...
It's not even about Raiola, with clubs having more money and more room to keep players longer. Young players should demand release clauses, it gives them a clear way to leave a club when they reach a certain level without having to beg or throw a tantrum.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And Watford is pretty much bordering London. You're looking at a 45 minute drive down to Cobham. Manchester is nothing to do with London and he has no real affiliation there apart from joining City's academy. As far as we know his family is all based in London.

passing-wind

You don't have to be in a room or in a meeting to be able to use your brain to comprehend why a release clause would be demanded into a players contract for a given club.

De ligts clause doesn't become viable until 2021 by which it will be contended for 150 million euros making him the most expensive defender in the history of the game. That is beneficial for both the club and the parties of the player. It's also been stressed by the Italian outlets that his clause can elapse, if the the club is successful and they offer him a new contract to expire the current deal by the time his clause is active.

There's a massive difference in De Ligt having a clause active in two years for 150 million compared to a 50 million clause for Haaland.

duffer

Scout
And Watford is pretty much bordering London. You're looking at a 45 minute drive down to Cobham. Manchester is nothing to do with London and he has no real affiliation there apart from joining City's academy. As far as we know his family is all based in London.
Also, nobody who plays for Watford actually lives in Watford, given it's a total shithole!

Sancho certainly never lived there, they put him in a boarding school in Uxbridge but his family are all still in South London.

charlenefan

That he moved to Uxbridge? Not sure that's the complete opposite, just made his commute to Watford a bit quicker.
It's the complete opposite from you saying he was born AND raised 4 miles from Chelsea and never lived in Watford (the truth is he lived a similar distance from Watford that he did Chelsea).

My point being is it's not like his teenage years were spent in Chelsea where he had mates where he'd have a kick around at the local park, he spent those years at Watford and in Manchester and yes you're right Germany as well

charlenefan

You don't have to be in a room or in a meeting to be able to use your brain to comprehend why a release clause would be demanded into a players contract for a given club.

De ligts clause doesn't become viable until 2021 by which it will be contended for 150 million euros making him the most expensive defender in the history of the game. It's also been stressed by the Italian outlets that his clause can elapse, if the the club is successful and they offer him a new contract to expire the current deal by the time his clause is active.

There's a massive difference in De Ligt having a clause active in two years for 150 million compared to a 50 million clause for Haaland.
Haaland's clause also doesn't come into effect until two years into his contract with Dortmund

The reason for the release clause is so the player can move easily down the line, that doesn't have to be because the current club isn't competing though which is the reason you're suggesting over anything else

duffer

Scout
It's the complete opposite from you saying he was born AND raised 4 miles from Chelsea and never lived in Watford (the truth is he lived a similar distance from Watford that he did Chelsea).

My point being is it's not like his teenage years were spent in Chelsea where he had mates where he'd have a kick around at the local park, he spent those years at Watford and in Manchester and yes you're right Germany as well
I don't think any Chelsea player ever actually grew up in Chelsea (far too posh) There's probably hardly any fans from there in all honesty. We are all from West and South London, like Sancho and me!

Hudson-Odoi has spoken of growing up with and playing football in the same cages as Sancho (in South London).

Sancho going to a school in Uxbridge for a years is not him moving to Watford in my opinion.

Last edited:

passing-wind

Haaland's clause also doesn't come into effect until two years into his contract with Dortmund

The reason for the release clause is so the player can move easily down the line, that doesn't have to be because the current club isn't competing though which is the reason you're suggesting over anything else
That's exactly the problem, the depth of why a player would desire to move down the line is telling, Dortmund are a selling clubs so the terms of a release clause is comprehensive. You name one performing asset of any of Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus or PSG that you can get with a low release clause ? Those clubs are held in a higher esteem presently, because of our current circumstances that's why Raiola / Haaland have given us the same foundation to sign the player as Dortmund.

If Haaland chose to sign for Liverpool or City currently would Raiola have demanded that release clause ? The answer is simply no. We got offered the clause on the premise of our present level competitively.

charlenefan

That's exactly the problem, the depth of why a player would desire to move down the line is telling,
And again you're looking from it from only one possible angle completely dismissing others because it doesn't fit your narrative

JPRouve

Scout
That's exactly the problem, the depth of why a player would desire to move down the line is telling, Dortmund are a selling clubs so the terms of a release clause is comprehensive. You name one performing asset of any of Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus or PSG that you can get with a low release clause ? Those clubs are held in a higher esteem presently, because of our current circumstances that's why Raiola / Haaland have given us the same foundation to sign the player as Dortmund.

If Haaland chose to sign for Liverpool or City currently would Raiola have demanded that release clause ? The answer is simply no. We got offered the clause on the premise of our present level competitively.
There are no clauses in France.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think any Chelsea player ever actually grew up in Chelsea (far too posh) There's probably hardly any fans from there in all honesty. We are all from West and South London, like Sancho and me!

Hudson-Odoi has spoken of growing up with and playing football in the same cages as Sancho (in South London).

Sancho going to a school in Uxbridge for a years is not him moving to Watford in my opinion.
Trying to make us believe that you aren't posh and from Chelsea?

Axkiko

I think he will end up at United or Chelsea in summer depending who's in the CL next year.

passing-wind

And again you're looking from it from only one possible angle completely dismissing others because it doesn't fit your narrative
Thinking critically requires a deeper insight as opposed to how things seem on the surface there's no "narrative" in my thesis.

Why Raiola gave Manchester United the exact same stipulations to sign his client as Dortmund (selling club), provides the "narrative" all on its own.

charlenefan

Thinking critically requires a deeper insight as opposed to how things seem on the surface there's no "narrative" in my thesis.

Why Raiola gave Manchester United the exact same stipulations to sign his client as Dortmund (selling club), provides the "narrative" all on its own.
Well yes it does but it appears lost on you

RUCK4444

We have to go all out, it needs to be the marquee priority signing of the summer for us.

I need to see this kid start for us with Pogba behind a three of him, Rashford Martial/Greenwood.
Lots of pace, movement, fluid football.:drool:

Sancho and a top DM as a minimum.
Would have liked Haaland as well, maybe we can pickup another striker option but I would prioritise Sancho.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Also, nobody who plays for Watford actually lives in Watford, given it's a total shithole!

Sancho certainly never lived there, they put him in a boarding school in Uxbridge but his family are all still in South London.
Yep,which is a stones throw from Cobham.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Buy in January and loan back until summer just like Pulisic. Think Dortmund would go for that. Can't see them letting him go in January while they're in decent position in the league and are in the last 16 of the CL.

I think Chelsea and United are his only realistic destinations simply because City and Liverpool don't need him and neither do Real Madrid or Barca.

Lampard, in seemingly every press conference over the past month, has stressed and bemoaned our lack of aggression and killer instinct in the final third. I really think we'll make a play for Sancho but I'm not sure our club will be willing to pay £120m to get him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Paul hirst:
It is thought that Sancho, 19, is intrigued by the prospect of moving to Spain, but he would be interested in talking to United too.

Dante

Average bang
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we gave Dortmund a free run at Haaland as part of the negotiation for Sancho. This sort of tactic has been used before.

MetoTTT

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we gave Dortmund a free run at Haaland as part of the negotiation for Sancho. This sort of tactic has been used before.
They can't force him to join us if he doesn't want to. Simple.

Dante

Average bang
They can't force him to join us if he doesn't want to. Simple.
But they can control which team's offers they accept.

There are two sides to a transfer. The club side and the player side. It's not as simple as you realise.

Status
Not open for further replies.