Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Silverbridge

If it's true that we've got a deadline to get him, Good, We don't have time to piss about like we usually do this summer, Get it done as soon as possible.

Suvvernmanc

Pretty much. We have plenty of players but need it trimming down and adding quality instead.

Lingard/Pereira out and Sancho in would be a nice start.
In my opinion, No. We still need to replace Lingard and Andreas as they are both central players. Currently they are our backup. Sancho fills a hole we needed filling.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dortmund are practically begging us to take him :lol:

They either really need the money or realise Sancho isn't happy and wants out.

Either way unless we are REALLY stubborn I can't see how this doesn't happen.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has there ever been a case where these deadlines have been set and the selling club stick to them?

This'll get done when it gets done (or not if the case may be) and no cutoff point is going to change that

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Get Sancho, Pogba signs long term contract. Win win

Womp

idiot
100m plus post Covid is fecking stupid, no trying to justify it. Dortmund are a selling club and buy players for nothing, be lucky if they get 80/90m euro. That leak us offering opening 50m is probably true, United will struggle to do this deal. I think they may look at a alternative.
Adama :drool:

Mcking

I hope this is I want to see

Rashford. Martial. Sancho
James. Ighalo. Greenwood

Bruno
Grealish

With some degree of flexibility in who fills in where of course.
That's too much in my eyes. They are quality options to have, but all those players can't play anywhere apart from the front four. There's not enough flexibility.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's too much in my eyes. They are quality options to have, but all those players can't play anywhere apart from the front four. There's not enough flexibility.
Do you think? Surely if it came down to it both the AM’s can cover CM, Ighalo is only here until January so that will organically give Greenwood and James more minutes too.

That’s 4 positions with 8 players who mostly can play in different positions, we play almost 60 games a season and always suffer injuries, I don’t think it’s overkill but understand where you’re coming from for sure.

Where else do we need to cover? We have Pogba, Matic, Fred, mctominay for CM.

Last edited:

Lemansky

100m plus post Covid is fecking stupid, no trying to justify it. Dortmund are a selling club and buy players for nothing, be lucky if they get 80/90m euro. That leak us offering opening 50m is probably true, United will struggle to do this deal. I think they may look at a alternative.
As we should. Dortmund is a highly irritating club. Negotiations players they buy for peanuts and want the world when they sell. A feeder club. We should reject any deal with numbers quoted above. This COVID crisis will not be over in 6 months, they will be even more desperate to sell next summer. The situation in world football now requires patience. Not paying up 100 million or more because of a fictional deadline set by a selling club.

Hal9000

Or what? They'll let his contract run down and walk away for free at the end of the season instead?

Absolute power move by Dortmund this...
He's contracted till June 22, so they could easily keep him for another season.

Morpheus 7

As we should. Dortmund is a highly irritating club. Negotiations players they buy for peanuts and want the world when they sell. A feeder club. We should reject any deal with numbers quoted above. This COVID crisis will not be over in 6 months, they will be even more desperate to sell next summer. The situation in world football now requires patience. Not paying up 100 million or more because of a fictional deadline set by a selling club.
Can't disagree with any of that. There is a bit poker going on at the minute, they know they need to sell. He's not signing a new contract and that money will be crucial, especially if Covid spikes in the new season.

Infra-red

Depending on who you believe he was happy to come last summer with no CL but we wouldn’t pay the money.

It’s a matter of when not if we sign him.
There were also reports at the time (David Ornstein of the BBC/Athletic) that Sancho pulled out of the prospective deal last summer specifically because we didn't have CL football.

In the current climate I expect that, whatever the player's intentions, we are unlikely to sanction a £100m+ deal, unless we have CL revenues secured.

The combined impacts of COVID-19, lack of CL revenue and the consequent reduction in value of sponsorship deals from a second consecutive season outside Europe's premier competition, would surely scupper any big spending plans this summer.

CL football next season is absolutely vital for the club.

Mcking

Do you think? Surely if it came down to it both the AM’s can cover CM, Ighalo is only here until January so that will organically give Greenwood and James more minutes too.

That’s 4 positions with 8 players who mostly can play in different positions, we play almost 60 games a season and always suffer injuries, I don’t think it’s overkill but understand where you’re coming from for sure.

Where else do we need to cover? We have Pogba, Matic, Fred, mctominay for CM.
I expect Ighalo to be given a new contract, and would want us to if he continues doing well, seeing as he provides something different.

There's nothing too wrong with having eight quality options for four attacking positions, but the most important thing for me is to seek balance, and try to maximize our money as much as possible.

Looking at the formation we play and the options we have in midfield, I don't think Bruno or Grealish can cover for CM in any way. There's already questions about the discipline and mobility of our defensive midfield options. Pogba gets by due to his athleticism and playing a simple game, but I don't see how Grealish or Bruno would be able to do the same.
It is easy to say if we sign Grealish and Sancho, we'd have two per position in the front four and two per position in central midfield. Look at the attacking options for the front four though, there's plenty of flexibility and quality. Without Grealish, at least two options can play each position without any significant drop in quality. Add Grealish and that's an extra man that could be useful but one we would be okay without.

Look at the central midfield options on the other hand, any problem with the starting duo, and there would be a significant drop in quality. That is not even the biggest drawback with signing Grealish in my eyes. It is that we would be in a position where we have an expensive new shiny player on the bench but unable to get him on the pitch, so have to shrug and turn to the likes of McTominay.

My solution would be to look beyond Grealish and find a proper midfielder who would be able to play in place of both Pogba and Bruno to an acceptable level. He would get more games than I would expect a Grealish, provide us with plenty of flexibility and also ensure any of our starting front fine could be substituted without any significant drop in quality. That would be money spent a lot better in my opinion. Grealish seems like the lazy option from my point of view.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I expect Ighalo to be given a new contract, and would want us to if he continues doing well, seeing as he provides something different.

There's nothing too wrong with having eight quality options for four attacking positions, but the most important thing for me is to seek balance, and try to maximize our money as much as possible.

Looking at the formation we play and the options we have in midfield, I don't think Bruno or Grealish can cover for CM in any way. There's already questions about the discipline and mobility of our defensive midfield options. Pogba gets by due to his athleticism and playing a simple game, but I don't see how Grealish or Bruno would be able to do the same.
It is easy to say if we sign Grealish and Sancho, we'd have two per position in the front four and two per position in central midfield. Look at the attacking options for the front four though, there's plenty of flexibility and quality. Without Grealish, at least two options can play each position without any significant drop in quality. Add Grealish and that's an extra man that could be useful but one we would be okay without.

Look at the central midfield options on the other hand, any problem with the starting duo, and there would be a significant drop in quality. That is not even the biggest drawback with signing Grealish in my eyes. It is that we would be in a position where we have an expensive new shiny player on the bench but unable to get him on the pitch, so have to shrug and turn to the likes of McTominay.

My solution would be to look beyond Grealish and find a proper midfielder who would be able to play in place of both Pogba and Bruno to an acceptable level. He would get more games than I would expect a Grealish, provide us with plenty of flexibility and also ensure any of our starting front fine could be substituted without any significant drop in quality. That would be money spent a lot better in my opinion. Grealish seems like the lazy option from my point of view.
Fair enough mate, I think you make some good points!

Stretender

Dortmund are desperate to sell. Only a fool would pay 80 million for Sancho, he is not that critical to a team. That's money you pay for a central midfielder or striker. I hope Woodward waits until next year.I think Ole is sensible, let Chelsea pay that stupid money. From what I have seen of Sancho in an England shirt, am not convinced he is a 100 million footballer.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood has a few good games & now people don’t want him? Do people not want to get back to the top? Greenwood is 18. Martial gets injured every season. He’ll get plenty of game time. Get this done.

For those who don’t want Sancho now think about this. Martial & Rashford get injured again we’ve got a front 3 of Greenwood, James & Ighalo. Just think about that.

Njord

If we want to have four top talents for three positions, it's important that we qualify for the CL.

For Greenwood, starting 10-12 matches in the first half of the season sounds good, but if those matches are 6 EL group stage matches, 3-4 LC matches and a couple of matches in the PL against relegation fodder, then that wouldn't be enough for him at this point.

Infra-red

:drool:

Where would Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood stand on the world stage, do any teams have a better 6?
It is decent. Next season, Chelsea could be looking at: Kante, Kovacic, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner, which is also pretty decent.

EwanI Ted

:drool:

Where would Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood stand on the world stage, do any teams have a better 6?
Plus, given their age we could expect them to stick together for 3 to 4 years and develop together. Pretty fearsome prospect.

JohnnyKills

There were also reports at the time (David Ornstein of the BBC/Athletic) that Sancho pulled out of the prospective deal last summer specifically because we didn't have CL football.

In the current climate I expect that, whatever the player's intentions, we are unlikely to sanction a £100m+ deal, unless we have CL revenues secured.

The combined impacts of COVID-19, lack of CL revenue and the consequent reduction in value of sponsorship deals from a second consecutive season outside Europe's premier competition, would surely scupper any big spending plans this summer.

CL football next season is absolutely vital for the club.
Agreed. Get CL and get Sancho I reckon.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sancho pleasing Pogba is great news. In fairness he deserved more talent around him and now I struggle to think of many clubs that offer talent to the same fulfillment. Imagine walking through the tunnel, knowing you can interlink with Bruno, Martial, Sancho with the composure of Matic behind. It's a big upgrade on James, Lingard and Pereira that's for sure.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Dortmund are desperate to sell. Only a fool would pay 80 million for Sancho, he is not that critical to a team. That's money you pay for a central midfielder or striker. I hope Woodward waits until next year.I think Ole is sensible, let Chelsea pay that stupid money. From what I have seen of Sancho in an England shirt, am not convinced he is a 100 million footballer.
There is no guarantee we can get him next summer. Teams will be better off financially and their rebuilding plans might change. Madrid and Liverpool might be in for him. Why take the chance? Sign him up now and move on to the next.

bulby

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bvb need the money dont they? They definately don't hold all the cards in the negotiation process like they are making out.

It might end up being less than their €120m demands, like €90m (£81.46m) plus €10m (£9.05m) in add ons. Not a bad price for someone like Sancho imo
I think the deadline is more because of Dortmund's preperation for next season starts on August 10th and if Sancho leaves they need to buy a replacement. So it's reasonable to not want to drag this until one day before the season starts in September.

I guess Sancho will be a United player by August 10th, but they will pay more than €100m. United can't afford to not get him this summer and risk that he joins another club next year.

In Rainbows

There is no guarantee we can get him next summer. Teams will be better off financially and their rebuilding plans might change. Madrid and Liverpool might be in for him. Why take the chance? Sign him up now and move on to the next.
Not to mention that if you factor in his age and what that means for United for a long period, it's worth it. Like I keep saying, having Sancho and Greenwood for the next 10+ years gives us a leg up on other PL sides for the foreseeable future. Having to replace older players invites a higher probability of failure because it's another transfer decision you have to get right.

If we can get Greenwood and Sancho to fulfill their potential it will be hard for other teams to match a duo like that.

Infra-red

Not to mention that if you factor in his age and what that means for United for a long period, it's worth it. Like I keep saying, having Sancho and Greenwood for the next 10+ years gives us a leg up on other PL sides for the foreseeable future. Having to replace older players invites a higher probability of failure because it's another transfer decision you have to get right.

If we can get Greenwood and Sancho to fulfill their potential it will be hard for other teams to match a duo like that.
Southgate would no doubt be delighted if Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho form a front three a club level.

Fooza

So many hearts are going to break if this one won't be done, I fear for a lot for you. I still can't see this happening but then again I'm a pessimist when it comes to big money signings involving incomings.

Infra-red

So many hearts are going to break if this one won't be done, I fear for a lot for you. I still can't see this happening but then again I'm a pessimist when it comes to big money signings involving incomings.
Deals of this size can collapse at any time and it is most likely contingent on United qualifying for the CL. Long way to go yet.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I'm sure that the deadline is legal and binding, and that if United put a 100m bid on August 11th, BVB would reject it without hesitation.

'We won't take all your money because you're late.'

Status
Not open for further replies.