Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The good news is that Sancho will move this season. He's got 2 years left in his contract and he's refusing to sign a new contract. The bad news is that I can't see United going crazy on the transfer market. Now we might be able to edge it out if we sell Lingard, Dalot and co. However that's not a given especially if Sancho ends up being courted by EPL winners Liverpool or someone who'll be playing in the CL.

I can see the following scenario happening

Pogba leaves, Sancho, Graelish and a 30m striker is signed
Pogba stays, we might sign Sancho or Grealish, Ighalo is kept for another year
I think Pogba staying + Grealish and Sancho is a possibility. Grealish will be on the cheap if Villa get relegated and whilst I agree we won't go crazy, Sancho would make sense even at 100m EUR. We can get both in at 130m EUR.

I don't think Pogba would leave because clubs are going to stay away from purchases much over 100m, and our asking price will be comfortably above that. No one can really entice us into swap deals either.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I would say that clubs would then put the highest possible prices on their players IF we try to be ruthless. There will be a spending cap I assume as that must bring in fair play rules to prevent bigger clubs exploiting the "smaller" clubs, making our financial position, possibly great but spending must be limited.
A cap for spending would be so dumb. Big clubs throwing money down the pyramid should be encouraged, not halted by some silly rules.

Or do these ”smaller” clubs prefer to go bankrupt, instead of selling a few players?

If someone has money they should get it moving. It benefits all.

pascell

Finances for everyone are about to plummet.

Every company is about to go into cash conservation mode and so commercial activity will be affected. Games are not being played so no gate receipts and TV may also be affected.

It's a risky time to be committing cash to anything
But we've literally been told yesterday that the PL will be going ahead at some point, so whilst there won't be any gate receipts, TV money will definitely still be obtained. None of us know just how much its going to affect each club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think Pogba staying + Grealish and Sancho is a possibility. Grealish will be on the cheap if Villa get relegated and whilst I agree we won't go crazy, Sancho would make sense even at 100m EUR. We can get both in at 130m EUR.

I don't think Pogba would leave because clubs are going to stay away from purchases much over 100m, and our asking price will be comfortably above that. No one can really entice us into swap deals either.
Pogba staying plus Grealish and Sancho???

What planet are some people on? Certainly not this one.

Absolutely zero chance of us doing that kind of business in this market. Haven't you watched the news?

Drainy

But we've literally been told yesterday that the PL will be going ahead at some point, so whilst there won't be any gate receipts, TV money will definitely still be obtained. None of us know just how much its going to affect each club.
"at some point"

And exactly, that is why businesses will be looking to preserve cash. Spending £100m if you can avoid it when your revenue could potentially plummet isn't how businesses are generally run

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I imagine we will try to sign him next summer when he has 1 year on his deal for a cut down fee. Probably go for about £60m.

There won't be any 100m Euro signings for anyone the way this year is going. No chance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pogba staying plus Grealish and Sancho???

What planet are some people on? Certainly not this one.

Absolutely zero chance of us doing that kind of business in this market. Haven't you watched the news?
Yes, I have. Grealish would be dirt cheap, hardly an addition in cost.

Sancho I think is a potentail goer, we just have to wait and see.

Redo91

Yes, I have. Grealish would be dirt cheap, hardly an addition in cost.

Sancho I think is a potentail goer, we just have to wait and see.
We don’t need Grealish though if Pogba stays. How do you fit Grealish, Pogba and Fernandes into the one team.

Should be going all out for Sancho as RW has to be the priority. In terms of midfield I’d be delighted if we signed Bellingham as he’s one for the future but if Pogba stays we don’t need Grealish no matter how cheap he is.

Posh Red

We don’t need Grealish though if Pogba stays. How do you fit Grealish, Pogba and Fernandes into the one team.

Should be going all out for Sancho as RW has to be the priority. In terms of midfield I’d be delighted if we signed Bellingham as he’s one for the future but if Pogba stays we don’t need Grealish no matter how cheap he is.
How did City fit Sane, Aguero, Jesus, Silva x 2, De Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez and Sterling into five positions? It’s called competition.

romufc

How did City fit Sane, Aguero, Jesus, Silva x 2, De Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez and Sterling into five positions? It’s called competition.
Yes, you can convince players to come and play when you are champions and challenging and ofcourse money.

If you are going to include David Silva and Foden then we have the same?

Rashford, Martial, James, Mata, Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood, Ighalo.

But as we all know you will not count James, Mata, Greenwood and Ighalo because it suits your argument.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

If we get Bellingham we don't need Grealish (they look to be similar figures I think). But Grealish can operate left, central, and advanced areas so I think there is enough game time.

Posh Red

Yes, you can convince players to come and play when you are champions and challenging and ofcourse money.

If you are going to include David Silva and Foden then we have the same?

Rashford, Martial, James, Mata, Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood, Ighalo.

But as we all know you will not count James, Mata, Greenwood and Ighalo because it suits your argument.
Well to be fair I’ve mentioned nine players there and you’ve mentioned eight. Fair enough though. Maybe I would caveat that by saying Mata would make way for Grealish. My point was that great teams have multiple great players in each position, and given the amount united spend and our wage bill, there is no reason why United can not achieve that.

romufc

Well to be fair I’ve mentioned nine players there and you’ve mentioned eight. Fair enough though. Maybe I would caveat that by saying Mata would make way for Grealish. My point was that great teams have multiple great players in each position, and given the amount united spend and our wage bill, there is no reason why United can not achieve that.
I understand that, I would love to have a squad that good as well. However. I would rather see us having a settled 11 first in which a RW is crucial.

Our squad is quite thin so any addition now will most probably get good game time. I would like to see the likes of Lingard, Perreira all be sold or reduced game time.

pascell

"at some point"

And exactly, that is why businesses will be looking to preserve cash. Spending £100m if you can avoid it when your revenue could potentially plummet isn't how businesses are generally run
But how do we know what our finances are looking like? Its all mere speculation at this point but I'm sure the club will have an idea now what our finances will look like in the future etc.

But who's to say it'll cost £100m for Sancho? If its going to cost anywhere near that figure, surely we'll look at paying it in segments each year.

Posh Red

I understand that, I would love to have a squad that good as well. However. I would rather see us having a settled 11 first in which a RW is crucial.

Our squad is quite thin so any addition now will most probably get good game time. I would like to see the likes of Lingard, Perreira all be sold or reduced game time.
I think we are largely on the same page with that. I would certainly not take Grealish at the expense of a right winger, and Covid could have an impact on our transfers this summer. My first post was in response to someone claiming the players couldn’t fit in a squad together which is what I disagree with.

RUCK4444

I imagine we will try to sign him next summer when he has 1 year on his deal for a cut down fee. Probably go for about £60m.

There won't be any 100m Euro signings for anyone the way this year is going. No chance.
Yeah but a lot can change in a year. He could have his head turned in another direction in that time. Have to strike while the iron is hot. :devil:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah but a lot can change in a year. He could have his head turned in another direction in that time. Have to strike while the iron is hot. :devil:
Dont think we will be able to afford it unless the dabber is sold.

I still think he'd come to us in summer 2021 provided we qualify for the CL for 21/22 season. He's got a lot of mates at United.

SAFMUTD

The good news is that Sancho will move this season. He's got 2 years left in his contract and he's refusing to sign a new contract. The bad news is that I can't see United going crazy on the transfer market. Now we might be able to edge it out if we sell Lingard, Dalot and co. However that's not a given especially if Sancho ends up being courted by EPL winners Liverpool or someone who'll be playing in the CL.

I can see the following scenario happening

Pogba leaves, Sancho, Graelish and a 30m striker is signed
Pogba stays, we might sign Sancho or Grealish, Ighalo is kept for another year
Theres no way he'll go to liverpool, first Liverpool wont spend 100M in a winger when they have Salah and Mane, and secondly there's no way Sancho agrees to join a club where he would not start.

RUCK4444

Dont think we will be able to afford it unless the dabber is sold.

I still think he'd come to us in summer 2021 provided we qualify for the CL for 21/22 season. He's got a lot of mates at United.
Nah we gotta keep Pogs and get Jadon in as well.

Gotta keep our best players and build on it, plus Pogba will be a beast in this more talented balanced version of the squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nah we gotta keep Pogs and get Jadon in as well.

Gotta keep our best players and build on it, plus Pogba will be a beast in this more talented balanced version of the squad.
Pogba has 1 year left on his deal plus the option for us to extend by 1 more. If he stays and doesn't sign a new deal then he's going to go cheap next summer.

He doesn't want to be at the club. His brother and agent aren't journos making it up. I think they k ow his desires. They speak on his behalf because he knows he can't speak out.

The loyalty to him on this board is bordering on lunacy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba has 1 year left on his deal plus the option for us to extend by 1 more. If he stays and doesn't sign a new deal then he's going to go cheap next summer.

He doesn't want to be at the club. His brother and agent aren't journos making it up. I think they k ow his desires. They speak on his behalf because he knows he can't speak out.

Aye, that’s definitely the overwhelming sentiment to Paul Pogba on here.

RUCK4444

He’s hedged his bets and has waited it out, but can you blame him? His next contract should be the most important of his career.

The recent form and signings such as Bruno and hopefully Sancho paint a different picture and outlook that I’m sure he will consider a different prospect altogether.

A reinvigorated Pogba in a more talented and balanced squad is still our best player, make no mistake.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He’s hedged his bets and has waited it out, but can you blame him? His next contract should be the most important of his career.

The recent form and signings such as Bruno and hopefully Sancho paint a different picture and outlook that I’m sure he will consider a different prospect altogether.

A reinvigorated Pogba in a more talented and balanced squad is still our best player, make no mistake.
It's all what ifs. What if he turns up. What if he becomes that player.

I prefer Rashford personally. He's getting better and better all the time and unlike Pogba when he has a poor game he still runs his balls off. Pogba probably has the most natural talent in the squad but what use is that when he's clearly not got the other stuff needed to fulfil the potential. He's far too distracted with all the crap he gets involved in and he's also got an absolute arse of an agent.

I have ran out of patience now. Think it's time we moved him on. Liverpool sold Coutinho and have won the CL since and are about to win the PL. The world doesn't evolve around him. He just thinks it does.

Redo91

If we get Bellingham we don't need Grealish (they look to be similar figures I think). But Grealish can operate left, central, and advanced areas so I think there is enough game time.
I just think if we sign Grealish he will expect to be first choice. On the left we have Rashford, on the right hopefully we will have Sancho and then centrally we have Pogba and Fernandes. All those players are better than him. He will have his pick of clubs and I’d imagine he will only go where he is guaranteed a spot in the starting XI.

romufc

I think we are largely on the same page with that. I would certainly not take Grealish at the expense of a right winger, and Covid could have an impact on our transfers this summer. My first post was in response to someone claiming the players couldn’t fit in a squad together which is what I disagree with.
Fair enough. If we were to get both then who wouldn't take them? We have seen this season that we cannot expect our top 5/6 players to stay fit all season. What happens when we want to rest Bruno / Pogba/ Rashy? or one of them is injured? Grealish can fill any one of the 3 positions which is quite handy.

When a player can play multiple positions, I feel he will get enough game time. Look at Bernado at City where he plays RW but plays CM / CAM when players are rested or injured.

Skåre Willoch

If we sign both Sancho and Grealish, we'll become such a versatile side. Great options from the bench to line up more defensively when needed, and offensively to shred weaker teams.

These are both drool-worthy lineups imo:

:drool:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Sancho and Pogba are in an identical situation. They have 2 years left in their contract and they probably don't want to renew. That means its a buyer's market for both. What may distinguish them is if Sancho is wanted by clubs willing to go into a bidding war for him. Unfortunately I can't see that happening with Pogba.

If Pogba doesn't commit himself in signing a new contract then we should cut the losses. Else we risk keeping an unhappy player who would end up ruining the dressing room's atmosphere in the process only for us to still sell him on cheap at a latter date. Swap deals might end becoming a necessary evil. Unfortunately we will be forced to go on realistic options here as top clubs won't let key players leave. Honestly I am not interested in anything Juventus could offer however there are 2-3 players at Real that might be useful. I wouldn't mind a straight swap with Real which would include Jovic, Achraf and Odegaard. They are 3 young players, who aren't really in Real first team picture, who have the potential to be WC and are exactly what we need. Thanks to those signings we would replace Pogba, we wouldn't need to buy a striker and we would be able to sell Lingard, Periera and Dalot. Hopefully we would recoup enough money (summer budget and player's fees) to buy Sancho.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Theres no way he'll go to liverpool, first Liverpool wont spend 100M in a winger when they have Salah and Mane, and secondly there's no way Sancho agrees to join a club where he would not start.
a- Sancho has 2 years left in his contract. Dortmund would either have to sell him now or risk losing him on the cheap in a years time
b- the Covid-19 crisis will hit clubs hard. Fees might go down because of it
c- Liverpool had always had issues in terms of paying huge salaries. Soon enough they would have to let Salah or Mane go
d- Sancho plays for Dortmund. Klopp has probably followed Jadon more closely then Ole did. He knows that Sancho won't be asking for ridiculous salary, that he's versatile, he's probably better then Mane and he would be considered as a huge signing which would in turn attract a lot of sponsors

Sancho to Liverpool is similar to what Rooney was for us ie a signing which we might not have needed at that given time but was simply a too good of a player to let rivals take him.

Thus I wouldn't count Liverpool out.

RUCK4444

It's all what ifs. What if he turns up. What if he becomes that player.

I prefer Rashford personally. He's getting better and better all the time and unlike Pogba when he has a poor game he still runs his balls off. Pogba probably has the most natural talent in the squad but what use is that when he's clearly not got the other stuff needed to fulfil the potential. He's far too distracted with all the crap he gets involved in and he's also got an absolute arse of an agent.

I have ran out of patience now. Think it's time we moved him on. Liverpool sold Coutinho and have won the CL since and are about to win the PL. The world doesn't evolve around him. He just thinks it does.
I mean that’s fair enough, he’s been here long enough for people to form their own opinion.

Personally I think to some degree he’s held to unfair standards compared to the rest of the team, people bring his personal life and interests into the argument too much for my liking.

At the end of the day when he has been fit and playing regular he gets the best numbers in both assists and goals at the club, and that was in a period when we were so disjointed and unbalanced on the pitch.

I see what he did at Juve and for France and it’s vital to note that those were fully functioning, talented squads. We are far more closer to being one of those squads now with the addition of real quality to play around Pogba.

I know he can be frustrating but he was never going to look that same player for United with the lack of quality and also upheaval of multiple managers and changes happening.

You just know if he does leave to Juve or Madrid that he will again look every inch that player again.

romufc

I mean that’s fair enough, he’s been here long enough for people to form their own opinion.

Personally I think to some degree he’s held to unfair standards compared to the rest of the team, people bring his personal life and interests into the argument too much for my liking.

At the end of the day when he has been fit and playing regular he gets the best numbers in both assists and goals at the club, and that was in a period when we were so disjointed and unbalanced on the pitch.

I see what he did at Juve and for France and it’s vital to note that those were fully functioning, talented squads. We are far more closer to being one of those squads now with the addition of real quality to play around Pogba.

I know he can be frustrating but he was never going to look that same player for United with the lack of quality and also upheaval of multiple managers and changes happening.

You just know if he does leave to Juve or Madrid that he will again look every inch that player again.
I agree with this, but there are things that Pogba does that he could avoid. He doesn't need his agent coming out every other week criticising the team.

It is unfortunate that he has not got to play in a team he thought he was coming into. But if I was Pogba now, I would look at this and say there is a real chance for me to becoming something special. If you look at the style we play, it should suit him.

In most games we will play a 4-2-3-1 where he can get forward pick passes, shoot and be part of the build up play and even get into the box.
In games against the big teams where we play defensive he can play the quarter back role where the defenders find him, him having the ability to find space and ping a 50/60 yard ball to Rashy, James, Martial.

If we can get a fully fit and motivated Pogba this team will be alot better than without him.

Yes, he does have an ego but we have to realise that a player of Pogba's talent needs to be challenging for trophies and we have failed him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Pogba doesn't want to be here if we are going to continue to be shit. He's spent four years of his career dealing with that.

Nobody knows exactly what his preference will be if he believes we are actually getting our shit together and moving back towards the top. If he thinks that that is going to happen his preference may well be to stay here and be part of that. Alternatively he may think it's too late and he'll still want to go regardless. None of us actually know.

If I had to take a guess I would say he won't want to run the risk of 'wasting' more years of his career and so will still want to leave. But that's just a guess.

Anustart89

You mean cheap like Hazard who went for £135m in his last year? Real shot themselves in the foot with that deal.

Denis' cuff

Pogba doesn't want to be here if we are going to continue to be shit. He's spent four years of his career dealing with that.

Nobody knows exactly what his preference will be if he believes we are actually getting our shit together and moving back towards the top. If he thinks that that is going to happen his preference may well be to stay here and be part of that. Alternatively he may think it's too late and he'll still want to go regardless. None of us actually know.

If I had to take a guess I would say he won't want to run the risk of 'wasting' more years of his career and so will still want to leave. But that's just a guess.
my guess is, we won’t want to run the risk of wasting another season waiting for him to do what we paid 90m for. Not sure any other clubs will be queueing up to splash that out on him again.

Can see him doing a Michael Owen and going to another club that he “ deserves”... then, the former club actually do better without him.

Zed 101

You mean cheap like Hazard who went for £135m in his last year? Real shot themselves in the foot with that deal.
Obv it hasn't worked out for Real and Hazard yet... but on his Checlski form Harzard is worth 2 Pogbas and a Periera

Anustart89

Obv it hasn't worked out for Real and Hazard yet... but on his Checlski form Harzard is worth 2 Pogbas and a Periera
I'm just saying that being in the last year of a contract didn't stop Chelsea from telling Real to stump up or miss out on the player. Which means we wouldn't have to let Pogba go on the cheap just because of his contract situation.

Matriac

Sancho and Pogba are in an identical situation. They have 2 years left in their contract and they probably don't want to renew. That means its a buyer's market for both. What may distinguish them is if Sancho is wanted by clubs willing to go into a bidding war for him. Unfortunately I can't see that happening with Pogba.

If Pogba doesn't commit himself in signing a new contract then we should cut the losses. Else we risk keeping an unhappy player who would end up ruining the dressing room's atmosphere in the process only for us to still sell him on cheap at a latter date. Swap deals might end becoming a necessary evil. Unfortunately we will be forced to go on realistic options here as top clubs won't let key players leave. Honestly I am not interested in anything Juventus could offer however there are 2-3 players at Real that might be useful. I wouldn't mind a straight swap with Real which would include Jovic, Achraf and Odegaard. They are 3 young players, who aren't really in Real first team picture, who have the potential to be WC and are exactly what we need. Thanks to those signings we would replace Pogba, we wouldn't need to buy a striker and we would be able to sell Lingard, Periera and Dalot. Hopefully we would recoup enough money (summer budget and player's fees) to buy Sancho.
Dortmund has a much more prevalent existing habit to let their players go to other clubs at their peak. In history they have been a selling club to finance their operation, as they don't have as high income as us from TV-deals and general sponsors from being a dominant world-wide brand with a huge fanbase.

We have not been strangers to letting players go on the cheap by keeping them longer than what makes financial sense (to much criticism from some in the fanbase). It's a gamble from our side if we keep Pogba through next season with the goal that he signs a new contract next spring or summer. That we belive in our plan to become competitive again, which makes good players want to stay with us.

Would it be best for us if he signs a new contract this summer? Yes, for sure. But from Pogba's perspective he doesn't have much to gain from extending this season other than a bit higher salary for a year. It would be a gamble on his side, but with pretty good odds that in a year his physical prowess and skill has not vanished, and that the financial market hopefully stabilizes a bit. If United doesn't look more solid by next summer he can easier get the move to a club of his choice since his fee will be lower, and he can make up the year of lost higher salary by getting a lil higher sign-on bonus since his fee is lower.

if Pogba extends this summer it will be because he already believes in this team to have turned it around, but also likely dependant on our signings this summer (and to some extent who leaves). Of course he's been uncertain about his future when we look at the past 4 years. It makes sense for him to consider other options when his contract is nearing an end if we don't improve as a team.
I've also been at crossroads in my life where I was considering a change, but decided to stay the course because I felt confident in reassurances that my gig was going to get better. And I didn't regret it either. It's the same for athletes, it's just a lot more people speculate about their future than ours. Putting on pressure (externally from the agent) is a tactic to get your employer to put their money where their mouth is and commit to giving you those reassurances, usually by signing other quality players, that will make you want to stay around. Similar to how you would renegotiate your own salary and benefits around your employer having a good plan for your future and making sure you have a good team of colleagues around you.

As for the bolded part. Transfer deals with 2 or more players coming from one club is extremely rare, as it's very complicated to get everyone to agree to terms. I also don't see Real willing to let Ødegaard go anywhere in the next years unless the player kicks up a fuss because he wants to leave. Which currently he doesn't have a reason for, especially not to us at the current moment (which breaks my heart to say). Ødegaard is still young and can afford to wait a few more seasons to continue developing as a player and see what his place will be at Real in the future, as the intention seems to be that he will replace Modric in a year or so.
I would love Ødegaard to us, but he's set up well financially and already in a top team, so he has no reason to look for a next move yet.
The most likely reason I would see him wanting a move to us (in some years) is if we reestablish ourselves as a dominant team again, we sign and field Haaland week in and out (and bonus if Solskjær is still the coach). National romanticism sometimes not to be underrated, especially from a country like Norway that does not have a history of a lot of good players. I could see them wanting to play together week in and out at club-level to increase their dynamic to help their performances on the National team. And United is a good option for that since we can afford big deals/salaries, and United is so big in Norway/Nordics.
Or we don't do well as a club and Haaland goes go Real instead.

Only time will tell.

I hope we sign Sancho and that Pogba stays, even if he doesn't sign a new contract for another year. If we can do that we look to become a dominant force again for many years with them, Rashford, Bruno and Martial. If we can add Haaland as well next summer then I'll be walking on clouds.

a- Sancho has 2 years left in his contract. Dortmund would either have to sell him now or risk losing him on the cheap in a years time
b- the Covid-19 crisis will hit clubs hard. Fees might go down because of it
c- Liverpool had always had issues in terms of paying huge salaries. Soon enough they would have to let Salah or Mane go
d- Sancho plays for Dortmund. Klopp has probably followed Jadon more closely then Ole did. He knows that Sancho won't be asking for ridiculous salary, that he's versatile, he's probably better then Mane and he would be considered as a huge signing which would in turn attract a lot of sponsors

Sancho to Liverpool is similar to what Rooney was for us ie a signing which we might not have needed at that given time but was simply a too good of a player to let rivals take him.

Thus I wouldn't count Liverpool out.
What makes you think that Sancho won't be asking for a high salary? He's one of the most hyped players in Europe, especially on the RW as there isn't many high calibre players there.
And with a recent CL win as well as this year's PL win they should be able to command higher sponsorship fees, they won't necessarily need new signings to attract sponsors, to pay the existing high salaries.
Now they will need to update their roster at some point in order to stay competitive, but I think it's still one or two seasons too early to bring in someone who would be considered an immediate direct competitor to their front 3. It risks ruining the team dynamic and spirits in what is currently such a dominant team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I do not think the situation is identical at all - Pogba plays for a giant club who are happy to hold on to him until they receive an offer in that's materially in excess of 100m. I think Pogba has also flirted of late with the idea of staying on top.

Sancho on the other hand seems to want out, looks to be having his eyes set on us and is playing for a selling club which has a price that is more reasonable than Pogbas.

Status
Not open for further replies.