Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You sound like you're 15 though who plays on fifa and has no acceptance of what's going on in the world.

We've spent 60 to 70m nebt quite often last few summers and that was without a global pandemic.
I'd love us to get Sancho but it's not looking very likely at all. No guarantee of CL football for us and huge hits on finances guaranteed for next 8 to 10 months.

Dont think fans appreciate the situation.
And you sound like a broken record.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And you sound like a broken record.
When you have muppets who say we need to go for a Partey, Sancho and a striker this summer of all summers it's hard not to sound like one.

If our season is even completed we might have a 2 week break at most before the next one starts. Maybe not even that who knows.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
20% of the income is match day revenue. Approx £110m a season.

So for this season, the loss would be negligible because we only have 4 home games left.

This figure is 26 homes games. 19 PL and the rest in other competitions.
Yeah, so our revenue this season is hardly effected.

Next season might be different but everybody will be in the same boat.

romufc

Yeah, so our revenue this season is hardly effected.

Next season might be different but everybody will be in the same boat.
This season, I wouldnt expect our revenue to be effected from the match day direction. However; all other revenue streams will have been affected too therefore; the questions will be can Manutd afford to spend £100m on a player. If we can we will, if not no.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This season, I wouldnt expect our revenue to be effected from the match day direction. However; all other revenue streams will have been affected too therefore; the questions will be can Manutd afford to spend £100m on a player. If we can we will, if not no.
The most important thing will be projections I think. If clubs are confident that things will return to normal shortly, they will get on close to normally. As has been said, the loss of match day revenue for this season has been negligible. Clubs, like any business, will be reluctant to spend in a position of uncertainty.

Even Woodward’s words recently referenced the need to see how the landscape is affected going forward before acting, or something to that effect.

KennyBurner

Yeah, no doubt. @Rozay. Was just simply trying to put into a quantifiable amount how few there are in actual players.

Sancho - of course.

Chiesa is mentioned a lot on this forum, and I think he’s rated higher here than he actually is on real life... It also seems he played all season upfront, and his stats have been very mediocre for pretty much every season he has played. 6 goals and 3 assists in his last two seasons — that’s 12 goals and 6 assists in 60 matches. Dan James level stats.

Adama - not particularly fan, and would be outrageously pricey anyway. Wolves have no need to sell. This is also his first genuinely good season in the PL.

Lozano - perhaps, although he’s *really* struggled at Napoli and at the time many did say he wasn’t the level we were looking for. Maybe it’s just the wrong environment; or maybe those reservations were correct.

Dembele - if it’s cheap it could be a shout. Think the guy is permanently crocked though.

Torres - don’t know much about him, although he does seem to be a regular at Valencia at 20. Stats do seem a bit average but he is only 20.
———
Obligatory ‘stats aren’t everything’ and I didn’t mean to just shit on all the players you’ve suggested — it’s more just to show there’s really not much out there that seems glowingly positive. Outside of Sancho (young, outrageous stats for two successive seasons, English etc) there are very few - none(?) - out there who appear to have such positive conditions attached to a potential transfer.

Now every transfer has risk and nothing is certain, but for me personally looking at the potential options around — it kind of has to be Sancho or bust.
Dembele is the most talented player on this list. His injury proneness and addiction to FIFA might be his downfall in the end. I wish there was a way we could loan him with an option to buy in order to protect ourselves. He has the speed, dribbling and creativity required for our right wing. As stated above by @Rozay sancho will always drift inside which although isn’t bad also isn’t ideal. I think his best position is on the left but is also great enough on the right.

Giggsyking

I have to say it's all starting to look likely he is going to stay at Dortmund for another season and we will have to revisit this again in summer 2021
He will have only one year left in his contract and will be forced to sell him for much less. I doubt they would want to lose so much money in this crisis times. I guess they are playing hardball to make us pay full price now.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We could just sell a player and cover the losses, no big deal.

What even is our match day revenue income anyway? I bet it's not as much as you expect.

I think we will sign just Sancho this summer and that'll be it.
Our match day revenue is £4 million per game. It's the highest in the league.

"Our Matchday revenue was £110.8 million, £109.8 million and £111.6 million for each of the years ended 30 June 2019, 2018 and 2017, respectively."

It's a humungous loss for us.

macheda14

"Our Matchday revenue was £110.8 million, £109.8 million and £111.6 million for each of the years ended 30 June 2019, 2018 and 2017, respectively."

Isn’t it also the lowest in proportion of total revenue?

cyberman

If there isnt a vaccine this time next year and clubs are faced with another season of BCD matches or delays then transfer feees will be in the toilet. Plus he has 1 year left on top of that?
Sancho isnt above the market. I know Dortmund had plans and saw fees if 100m plus in their future but you cant hold onto that in spite of the current climate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Clearly yes it will be a loss, but other clubs will rely on it a lot more than us is what i'm saying.

I don't think it'll be the reason why we don't sign Sancho.

yo@Kirk

He didn't play RW. He played Right Forward.
Greenwood produced those stats playing as the most advanced player on the right side of a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 depending on how Ole lines up. Which is where Sancho would play on the right side. Transfermarkt calls it RW, WhoScored calls it attacking midfielder right, and you call it Right Forward. Semantics.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Clearly yes it will be a loss, but other clubs will rely on it a lot more than us is what i'm saying.

I don't think it'll be the reason why we don't sign Sancho.
That's just over a fifth of our revenues. Other clubs aren't signing £100m players so saying other clubs depend more on it is a bit of a red herring.
Not only is matching income wiped out. Broadcast and commercial revevues will take a massive hit as well, especially of our Adidas deal shrinks.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

That's full-year figures you're quoting. Approximately 2/3 of the season has already been played so the matchday revenue will in all likelihood be down by 35/40%.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

That's full-year figures you're quoting. Approximately 2/3 of the season has already been played so the matchday revenue will in all likelihood be down by 35/40%.
I posted that after some of the lads were talking about up to 10 months of no fans and still expecting us to put down ridiculous transfer sums.

I imagine the losses won't be as significant as a full season, but anyone reckoning we won't be affected is in cuckoo land.

Handré1990

Hed most likely be leaving if it wasn't for this virus. Like I said countless times and got abuse for it..... I just don't see any players going for big big money this summer. There's a very good chance we won't be getting match day revenue for another 10 months. The hit on the club is no joke. The transfer window will be very ordinary for all clubs.

I reckon we could probably bring in Igahlo, Bellingham and maybe a young unknown player and that might be us done. Underwhelming as that might be I don't see any other clubs going much better.
People still not getting it. Nobody is buying 80,90 or 100m footballers this summer. Nobody.

We might not get another fan through OT gates for 10 months and fans are expecting business as normal.

Sancho won't be joining this summer. Maybe he will come up for sale next summer and we can go back in.
We heard you the 70th time. We will see what happens.
You sound like you're 15 though who plays on fifa and has no acceptance of what's going on in the world.

We've spent 60 to 70m nebt quite often last few summers and that was without a global pandemic.
I'd love us to get Sancho but it's not looking very likely at all. No guarantee of CL football for us and huge hits on finances guaranteed for next 8 to 10 months.

Claims «abuse», then proceeds to «abuse» poster for pointing out the obvious. Do you not get enough attention or what?

danamann

I don't see why Dortmund would sell for less than what they want (130 million€ if the numbers are correct). They might agree to a huge lump sum with realistic bonuses but other than that they hold all the cards. Yes, he has only one year left on his contract next season but if he keeps performing on that level,with the Euros coming up as well, he will probably fetch around 100 € million anyway. The market is currently at the lowest point, so I doubt that his current valuation will be much different next year.

Add the fact that he is probably Dortmund's best player and would be a huge loss on the pitch, it just doesn't make sense for Dortmund to sell at any price.

As to what Sancho wants - I'm sure he is interested in joining Utd but I also can't imagine him kicking up a big fuss if he can't move this year. Footballing-wise he is at a good place and seems to feel really comfortable in the team and financially...well he has plenty of time left to make the big bucks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't see why Dortmund would sell for less than what they want (130 million€ if the numbers are correct). They might agree to a huge lump sum with realistic bonuses but other than that they hold all the cards. Yes, he has only one year left on his contract next season but if he keeps performing on that level,with the Euros coming up as well, he will probably fetch around 100 € million anyway. The market is currently at the lowest point, so I doubt that his current valuation will be much different next year.

Add the fact that he is probably Dortmund's best player and would be a huge loss on the pitch, it just doesn't make sense for Dortmund to sell at any price.

As to what Sancho wants - I'm sure he is interested in joining Utd but I also can't imagine him kicking up a big fuss if he can't move this year. Footballing-wise he is at a good place and seems to feel really comfortable in the team and financially...well he has plenty of time left to make the big bucks.
They do not hold all the cards at all if they want to get 130m. Everyone operates in a market. If they won’t get 130m this summer, they definitely won’t get it next summer.

Then there is also the will of the player to consider, whatever that is. Don’t be fooled by all the things they say in the media, they are well aware that the player will not retire with them, this whole ‘we will just keep him’ thing isn’t to be taken at face value. They have said before that they are realistic enough to know they will have to sell Sancho. If it now becomes a conversation of the best time to sell him, that will always be this summer instead of next.

I think they will be better off doing a deal this summer, even if it is one that sees them get most of the agreed fee later, rather than wait until next summer and get less. Next summer they will hold almost no cards at all.

SpyLuke10

fabrizio romano said they want 100m euros or 87m pounds. where did you get 130m from? thats just plain bs.

SpyLuke10

They do not hold all the cards at all if they want to get 130m. Everyone operates in a market. If they won’t get 130m this summer, they definitely won’t get it next summer.

Then there is also the will of the player to consider, whatever that is. Don’t be fooled by all the things they say in the media, they are well aware that the player will not retire with them, this whole ‘we will just keep him’ thing isn’t to be taken at face value. They have said before that they are realistic enough to know they will have to sell Sancho. If it now becomes a conversation of the best time to sell him, that will always be this summer instead of next.

I think they will be better off doing a deal this summer, even if it is one that sees them get most of the agreed fee later, rather than wait until next summer and get less. Next summer they will hold almost no cards at all.
doesnt sancho's contract expire in 2022? which means if they were two sell him next summer they wouldnt be able to command very high a fee at all. whenever a player has a year or less to go on their contract the fee is not that high.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
A lot of cat and mouse right now to be honest.
Ed trying to lower their expectations.
Dortmund trying to say they'll stand firm.

I can see this deal happening

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
doesnt sancho's contract expire in 2022? which means if they were two sell him next summer they wouldnt be able to command very high a fee at all. whenever a player has a year or less to go on their contract the fee is not that high.
Indeed.

DSG

Dortmund has less than 30m in cash and a huge wage bill. We have 300m+ in cash (and also a huge wage bill, but declining).

It's all posturing on both sides. Woodward and other Sancho suitors can read a balance sheet. Dortmund's loss of match day revenue is more painful than ours. Our TV revenue is higher...

You are probably right that there will be lower transfer fees this summer. But the lack of revenue from the shutdown will drive A LOT of transfer activity. Clubs will have to sell assets to remain solvent, which means there will be a lot of supply in the marketplace with not a lot of demand. Clubs that have a lot of cash and no issues with FFP will be at a big advantage.

Sancho might stay at Dortmund into next season.... but they'll need to cut player wage bills. Witsel makes a huge amount of money, but who is going to pay a transfer fee for a 30 year old with that contract? Secondly, Sancho's contract expires in 2021. Even if he moves in January 2021 for a reduced fee, there is no guarantee that there won't be a second wave of the pandemic, potentially halting play yet again. If you think transfer fees are going to crater this summer, just think what they would be like in a January transfer window with the same uncertainty...

So, as CEO of Dortmund, what do you do? Sell him this summer at a cut rate of 70m, or, wait until January and sell him for either 50m (no second wave) or 20-30m (second wave)? Or, do you just let him walk away for nothing in the summer?

He probably will be sold this summer because it's Dortmund's best option, even if they don't get as much as they had originally projected.

danamann

Depends on the quality of the Player. Hazard went for around 80 million € with one year left on his contract IIRC. I think Sancho is a generational talent in the Mbappe bracket.

Im not saying he will fetch the same sum next year. What I'm saying is the difference between what Dortmund would get now or in a year is not worth the loss of quality.

Now we can disagree on how much this difference will be but If he performs out of his mind at the Euros, which is entirely possible, I think they could still sell him for at least 80 million as there will be a Lot of competition to sign him.

Red Daz

A lot of cat and mouse right now to be honest.
Ed trying to lower their expectations.
Dortmund trying to say they'll stand firm.

I can see this deal happening
Exactly how I see it, we’ve seen this played out so many times in the past, this’ll play out like the Maguire deal did

RkkMan

Dortmund has less than 30m in cash and a huge wage bill. We have 300m+ in cash (and also a huge wage bill, but declining).

It's all posturing on both sides. Woodward and other Sancho suitors can read a balance sheet. Dortmund's loss of match day revenue is more painful than ours. Our TV revenue is higher...

You are probably right that there will be lower transfer fees this summer. But the lack of revenue from the shutdown will drive A LOT of transfer activity. Clubs will have to sell assets to remain solvent, which means there will be a lot of supply in the marketplace with not a lot of demand. Clubs that have a lot of cash and no issues with FFP will be at a big advantage.

Sancho might stay at Dortmund into next season.... but they'll need to cut player wage bills. Witsel makes a huge amount of money, but who is going to pay a transfer fee for a 30 year old with that contract? Secondly, Sancho's contract expires in 2021. Even if he moves in January 2021 for a reduced fee, there is no guarantee that there won't be a second wave of the pandemic, potentially halting play yet again. If you think transfer fees are going to crater this summer, just think what they would be like in a January transfer window with the same uncertainty...

So, as CEO of Dortmund, what do you do? Sell him this summer at a cut rate of 70m, or, wait until January and sell him for either 50m (no second wave) or 20-30m (second wave)? Or, do you just let him walk away for nothing in the summer?

He probably will be sold this summer because it's Dortmund's best option, even if they don't get as much as they had originally projected.
His contract actually expires in 2022 but your point still stands because it`ll be very unlikely Dortmund get a lucrative offer with just 1 year left on his deal. A lot could happen in a year either his form dips or he gets a bad injury which could lessen his value even further making BVB look like mugs. That on top of these very valid points proves it`s silly for people based off pessimism generated from possibly fake speculation that a deal is still very much on for Sancho.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The affordability of the deal hasn’t changed, at least not yet I doubt. The main concern is the future financial landscape of football as a whole. We won’t rush into paying a transfer fee that is possible may have been set based on an old reality, a different market. I think rather than being short of the funds, we are more short of clarity. If the health of the game is confirmed this summer, ie - normality is in sight and we can see things becoming normal next season, then I imagine we would have the confidence to spend.

Confidence is one of the most important factors of any market. When confidence is removed and there is a period of uncertainty, people are reluctant to spend. I doubt it’s the actual money. You don’t want to spend 100m on a player as the market collapses and everyone becomes worth a fiver, or if you are unsure if your business model will continue to see you make money in the same way.

He'sRaldo

I'll quote a possibly outdated post from a few months ago
I'm worried less about his ability and more about his fit. As you'll notice, the comparisons you've made are all with no. 10's, with the exception of Mkhi who is a 10/winger hybrid.

I think with Pogba, Fernandes, and Martial in the center, what we'll need is a goalscoring winger on the right similar to Rashford, rather than another creative presence. And if I'm not wrong, Sancho has scored more on the left than the right. If he's brought in for massive money people will be expecting goals, and I'd hate a situation where he comes on massive money and massive hype, and then we're left debating his best position as we've done with all our other good players. In fact that situation is exactly what happened with Pogba.

With that said, of course I think we should go for him because his quality isn't in doubt, and if we do need a goalscoring right forward as an option, we already have a player in Greenwood who can play that role very well right now. As long as we're realistic about the type of player Sancho is and adjust expectations accordingly, then there shouldn't be any problems.

DSG

I'm worried less about his ability and more about his fit. As you'll notice, the comparisons you've made are all with no. 10's, with the exception of Mkhi who is a 10/winger hybrid.

I think with Pogba, Fernandes, and Martial in the center, what we'll need is a goalscoring winger on the right similar to Rashford, rather than another creative presence. And if I'm not wrong, Sancho has scored more on the left than the right. If he's brought in for massive money people will be expecting goals, and I'd hate a situation where he comes on massive money and massive hype, and then we're left debating his best position as we've done with all our other good players. In fact that situation is exactly what happened with Pogba.

With that said, of course I think we should go for him because his quality isn't in doubt, and if we do need a goalscoring right forward as an option, we already have a player in Greenwood who can play that role very well right now. As long as we're realistic about the type of player Sancho is and adjust expectations accordingly, then there shouldn't be any problems.
If you watch Dortmund, you’ll see he starts on the RW, and plays there about 70% of the time. He’ll switch to the LW at times. He scores and provides assists in both positions...

Trex

I think those who have unrealistic expectation are those who maybe have not watched the player,don't worry about him getting the Pogba treatment from the media cus he is English,they were fair with maguire,overall i think he would be a success here,he has the vision,passing,technique,and brains of a elite CAM but with a bit of pace and top dribbling ability.its going to be like having our own little version of messi or hazard,this signing is a no-brainer

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One more thought on Sancho as United's potential RW. As I said, I think he'd be a good fit there, in his own way. Not being a stereotypical winger or wide forward is a strength of his, imo.

But an issue may be the interplay with his fullback. Sancho loves to alternate between wide positions and half spaces, and Hakimi (and to some extent Piszczek) can act as a quality link-up partner on the touchline. Which creates dynamic situations with multiple options, helping Sancho's playmaking impact.

I haven't watched AWB a lot, but * if * the widespread Caf view of him being rather limited offensively is true, it will take something away from Sancho's effectiveness.

(Although AWB's defensive game may be important to that partnership, as this - while not bad - isn't Sancho's forte.)

rotherham_red

One more thought on Sancho as United's potential RW. As I said, I think he'd be a good fit there, in his own way. Not being a stereotypical winger or wide forward is a strength of his, imo.

But an issue may be the interplay with his fullback. Sancho loves to alternate between wide positions and half spaces, and Hakimi (and to some extent Piszczek) can act as a quality link-up partner on the touchline. Which creates dynamic situations with multiple options, helping Sancho's playmaking impact.

I haven't watched AWB a lot, but * if * the widespread Caf view of him being rather limited offensively is true, it will take something away from Sancho's effectiveness.

(Although AWB's defensive game may be important to that partnership, as this - while not bad - isn't Sancho's forte.)
I think AWB's offensive issues are overblown. While he doesn't get (m)any goals+assists, he is very adept at link play and passing in the final third, which doesn't perhaps get shown in the stats columns that matter (G+A) and are dependent upon the players receiving the pass to lead to chance creation, but I do think that aspect of his game will be coming out a lot more if he had someone like Sancho to play and bounce off.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think AWB's offensive issues are overblown. While he doesn't get (m)any goals+assists, he is very adept at link play and passing in the final third, which doesn't perhaps get shown in the stats columns that matter (G+A) and are dependent upon the players receiving the pass to lead to chance creation, but I do think that aspect of his game will be coming out a lot more if he had someone like Sancho to play and bounce off.
If AWB has this skillset & potential, they should mesh well. Can't judge on that myself, as I said. Caf consensus sounds a bit different, but I know that can be OTT and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

The environment in which I see Sancho thrive is fast and precise pass & move plays, outplaying the opposition in tight spaces or on the break.

rotherham_red

If AWB has this skillset & potential, they should mesh well. Can't judge on that myself, as I said. Caf consensus sounds a bit different, but I know that can be OTT and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

The environment in which I see Sancho thrive is fast and precise pass & move plays, outplaying the opposition in tight spaces or on the break.
Yeah, I think you need to see more of him. It's definitely something that I've only really fully appreciated as I've seen him up close (my ST is in the south stand, so he's always on my side when attacking in the first half). While a lot of people in the caf are way too emotional and only really look at games in a superficial level.

In terms of my view on AWB, he progresses the ball really nicely with short and sharp passing through the lines and has had quite a few nice bits of ball manipulation as and when he gets nearer the goal. As he tends to have no one really to play off, with James essentially being a runner to stretch the play and keep width, it doesn't come out quite so often, but you can definitely see it when he has someone like Greenwood or Lingard on that side. I imagine it would be a much more consistent presence in games if/when Sancho comes in as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Goals and assists are not AWBs offensive problems, it is his general poor lack of control over the football that is.

A full back could be forgiven for low output. And AWB can actually cross a ball when given the opportunity. It’s more the inability to carry it, quickly control it, cleverly link with it that is a greater issue. He often looks as if he needs to sort his feet out before he can get moving, and you don’t really get that time in the PL.

Evra wasn’t a productive full-back, nor was Ashley Cole. But they were technically adept footballers, which made all the difference in helping their teams advance up the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.