Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Not sure ole will either when he’s still got other positions that need attention and there are cheaper options than Sancho for RW anyway
Nobody even remotely as good as Sancho though I assume?

Plus Greenwood is going to be a no 9. He will push Martial out eventually. Masons form therefore should not effect, or temper, our glaring need for a TOP level RW.

DoomSlayer

My mind was certainly more on an Allison and Van Dijk scenario than any shiny new forwards as I watched that spectacle yesterday.
This. I feel we have more pressing areas than the attack, where squad depth might be the only problem, though we do have some OK options in James, Ighalo and Mata.

AneRu

They don't need to be as good as Bruno or Pogba, but they certainly need to possess more guile and creativity than McTominay or Fred. Those aren't bad players either, but they aren't the guys to break teams down. The problem with our squad is the drop off in quality from our starters to the players on the fringes - we need to bridge that.

One of the reasons Man City are such a potent attacking force is because they have solutions everywhere. If Sterling or Mahrez aren't firing they can throw on Bernardo Silva or Foden, we need that same level of competition. Else one or two injuries can ruin your season, as has been the case this year.
But you forget one thing, in the first half of the season when we didn't have Pogba, Bruno, Martial for two months and were relying on Pereira, James and Lingard for creativity we just about stayed in touch with the chasing pack for top 4.

Now we have Bruno, Mason has come on leaps and bounds and we are certainly getting Sancho or another RF so we will be better placed to create and score goals should we lose one of or both of Pogba and Bruno. Without Bruno, Sancho come central from the right and without Pogba + Bruno we just play McFred behind Sancho. Not the best but certainly better that Lingard/Pereira alongside James and Mata.

In Rainbows

Sancho started like 36 times for Dortmund. Greenwood has started 18 times.

In a 60 game season you can easily start Sancho 36 times, while at the same time giving Greenwood more starts than what he's had this year. I mean, if you split Sancho's starts in half for either wing, already you've freed up 18 starts for Greenwood on the right wing. Sancho would be on the bench 20 times which means those starts go to Rashford. Plus 18 of those Sancho's starts on the right means 38 starts for Rashford. Is Martial going to start every match? No. Therefore another 15-20 starts for Greenwood.

You can literally give everyone 35 starts if you wanted.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Sancho is an incredible front four. Helps that 3 of them should also be starting for England too. With that lineup our attack is sorted for the foreseeable future, and we can then start to properly focus on other aspects of the team.

CM

But you forget one thing, in the first half of the season when we didn't have Pogba, Bruno, Martial for two months and were relying on Pereira, James and Lingard for creativity we just about stayed in touch with the chasing pack for top 4.

Now we have Bruno, Mason has come on leaps and bounds and we are certainly getting Sancho or another RF so we will be better placed to create and score goals should we lose one of or both of Pogba and Bruno. Without Bruno, Sancho come central from the right and without Pogba + Bruno we just play McFred behind Sancho. Not the best but certainly better that Lingard/Pereira alongside James and Mata.
Yeah, but why be content with that? Top 4 is not the height of ambition for United. Get Sancho and another creative midfielder in and we might get somewhere close to actually challenging.

jamesjimmybyrondean

They don't need to be as good as Bruno or Pogba, but they certainly need to possess more guile and creativity than McTominay or Fred. Those aren't bad players either, but they aren't the guys to break teams down. The problem with our squad is the drop off in quality from our starters to the players on the fringes - we need to bridge that.

One of the reasons Man City are such a potent attacking force is because they have solutions everywhere. If Sterling or Mahrez aren't firing they can throw on Bernardo Silva or Foden, we need that same level of competition. Else one or two injuries can ruin your season, as has been the case this year.
I'm talking about Fred or Mctominay replacing only Pogba in our current midfield ( Bruno Pogba and Matic). And like i said, this happened when Pogba was injured where we played Bruno Matic and Fred mostly. We didn't struggle at all. Our unbeaten run started from them. On a side note Fred also replaced Matic yesterday and we didn't lose anything.

AneRu

Would rather sign Graelish if that means freeing up money to sign Partey or a top class CB or LB.
I disagree I think we have to sign Sancho and look to supplement the budget for a CB and DM from sales across the squad. Sancho would give us the dribbling, crossing, vision and goals that will elevate out attack to a new dimension: make us difficult to play against.

I am at a point where I think we have to sell even some of our jewels like Henderson (with a buyback clause of course) just to get funds to do what we have to do in the summer i.e sign Sancho, a DM and a CB. Those three signings will elevate us into bona fide top three contenders and set us up for title challenge within two years.

CM

I'm talking about Fred or Mctominay replacing only Pogba in our current midfield ( Bruno Pogba and Matic). And like i said, this happened when Pogba was injured where we played Bruno Matic and Fred mostly. We didn't struggle at all. Our unbeaten run started from them. On a side note Fred also replaced Matic yesterday and we didn't lose anything.
Unbeaten runs are all well and good but it is winning games that will have you competing for the top honours.

We drew plenty with McTominay and Fred in the side, we have won every game where Bruno and Pogba have started together. The more reliant we become on Bruno, the more predictable our gameplan will be.

AneRu

Yeah, but why be content with that? Top 4 is not the height of ambition for United. Get Sancho and another creative midfielder in and we might get somewhere close to actually challenging.
I think Sancho will elevate us into challengers as things stand. I also think that the team has other needs ahead of Grealish like CB and DM. Liverpool have a great attack but it's not depth in attack that took them a few levels up, it is upgrading their defense and getting Fabinho as the enforcer. I think we are at a similar juncture although we are coming from a much lower base.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Unbeaten runs are all well and good but it is winning games that will have you competing for the top honours.

We drew plenty with McTominay and Fred in the side, we have won every game where Bruno and Pogba have started together. The more reliant we become on Bruno, the more predictable our gameplan will be.
I'm not talking about Bruno. I'm saying Fred and Mctominay, Fred especially are good covers for Pogba. We still need cover for Bruno and Matic but we don't need for Pogba. If you don't think Fred is a good cover for Pogba then that's your opinion

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Sancho has to be priority. Our strength is our forward play and that will largely compensate for other deficiencies which we can patch up as we go along. Let's put it this way. Let's say Sancho was another Greenwood and we knew that if he went to another club - he would have the same/similar impact. Are we really going to let him go to another English team? Gotta take our opportunity and with Sancho we will be very attractive to other players if they think of coming to England. We have to think present and future. Not just bringing players in but who can we promote. We still have talent in the youth but the situation is actually better for them now because we have players in the team who went through the youth system, so lots of the lads can help those coming through. It's not like in the past, where you had one or two. We've a number so we can improve areas from within. We still need to look at Axel, we need to see if Bailly can come good...we are not that desperate.

Now let me just add. It's true our forwards our strength. When you add to that? That really hurts other teams because they don't get any mental respite and we can wear them down. Then we can look at other areas but these kids are friends. They know each other. The rapport would be great for them...and for us :)

Last edited:

CM

I think Sancho will elevate us into challengers as things stand. I also think that the team has other needs ahead of Grealish like CB and DM. Liverpool have a great attack but it's not depth in attack that took them a few levels up, it is upgrading their defense and getting Fabinho as the enforcer. I think we are at a similar juncture although we are coming from a much lower base.
Liverpool have also had insane luck with injuries - Alisson is the only key player of theirs who I can remember missing a significant portion of games over the last two seasons.

I do agree there are other positions that need strengthening, I just think it's far easier to envisage us winning games with our existing options there than if we got an injury to one of our midfielders.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I do think Sancho can play Bruno's role. If we get Sancho and a DM, we'd be sorted in midfield and attack for now.

In order of efficiency I think this should be our options :

LW - Rashford, James, Sancho, Martial
ST - Martial Ighalo Greenwood Rashford
RW - Sancho Greenwood James
AM - Bruno Sancho Mata
CM - Pogba Fred Mctominay
DM - Matic Rice (just threw any DM name in there)

I'm still abit undecided whether we need a DM over AM. I'd like to see more of Fred in the DM role and if he plays well there then I'm all for getting Grealish
That’s fair, I respect your point dude. For me I think Grealish could cover multiple positions whilst the key players stay fairly consistent to their positions.

AneRu

Which is why we need to sign Sancho because he would add another dimension to our play and reduce our reliance on Pogba and Bruno for creativity.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
sometimes adding someone with quality doesn’t necessarily mean overall improvement as the addition of berbatov proved in 2008. Yes he had better stats compared to Rooney and Tevez but his addition was not good for team harmony.
With that said, you can make a counter argument about the addition of Tevez and Nani when we already had Giggs, Saha, Rooney, Ronaldo.
Berbatov did not suit our team. Sancho does. Plus he's a better footballer to boot. He will add to our quality and harmony.

CM

Which is why we need to sign Sancho because he would add another dimension to our play and reduce our reliance on Pogba and Bruno for creativity.
Agreed. I'm not arguing against the signing of Sancho.

Berbasbullet

Berbatov did not suit our team. Sancho does. Plus he's a better footballer to boot. He will add to our quality and harmony.
He knows a lot of or players too, honestly he’s the most obvious transfer we could make in an area we badly need strength.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He knows a lot of or players too, honestly he’s the most obvious transfer we could make in an area we badly need strength.
Really. I don't think I've seen many signings so obviously suited (on paper) to us as Sancho. Skillful, intelligent, mobile, RW, English.

lenny_1248

I do think Sancho can play Bruno's role. If we get Sancho and a DM, we'd be sorted in midfield and attack for now.

In order of efficiency I think this should be our options :

LW - Rashford, James, Sancho, Martial
You can argue that Sancho is even better on the left (that's where he used to play in academy) and you have Dan James ahead of him?
Martial is also miles better.

jamesjimmybyrondean

They are not neither of them create.
You didn't see the chance Fred created yesterday? Fred was also our key playmaker before Bruno. You're underrating his creativity. Mctominay is not creative but he's third choice for me in the 8 role Pogba plays

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not sure ole will either when he’s still got other positions that need attention and there are cheaper options than Sancho for RW anyway
We're one injury away at the moment. Sancho is young, he's English, he's incredibly talented and eminently marketable. It's ticks all the right boxes.

Berbasbullet

Really. I don't think I've seen many signings so obviously suited (on paper) to us as Sancho. Skillful, intelligent, mobile, RW, English.
Yep! Am I right in saying that he is similar to Hazard in the way he causes mayhem when he dribbles? little lay offs and passing and moving?

DoomSlayer

I he was left-footed, I'd be over the moon if we signed him.

The problem is, with his addition, we'd have 3 attacking players that prefer playing from the left side, instead of the right. I know Sancho can play on the right, but his natural position was always from the left, if I'm not mistaken.

It's true that he is a great player and going to one of our rivals won't be good for us, but I'm just not certain he is the right fit or what we need right now.

If we didn't have Rashford or Martial, it would be a no brainer. But we do.

C'est Moi Cantona

Four top player for three positions, seems healthy to me.

One of them will always needs a rest, be injured, out of form, etc, and after these we would have very little in the way of options, Ighalo will unlikely be here in six months, so you'd basically be left with James and Mata as the further depth, if anything it still seems a bit light.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We're one injury away at the moment. Sancho is young, he's English, he's incredibly talented and eminently marketable. It's ticks all the right boxes.
Indeed, our squad depth is very bad. Who in the squad can come in and expect to score goals? It's basically Igahlo and thats it, all of our wide options lack quality in the final third. Having Sancho would allow us to rotate our forwards resting one at a time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You didn't see the chance Fred created yesterday? Fred was also our key playmaker before Bruno. You're underrating his creativity. Mctominay is not creative but he's third choice for me in the 8 role Pogba plays
I quite like Fred but he's obviously not a creative player, he has 2 goals and 4 assists in 3,220 minutes this season, all of them in the Europa League. Pogba has 4 in 781 and they're all in the league, there's no comparison creatively. Our main play makers were Pereira and Lingard which is why we struggled so much when Pogba was injured, Danny James too before his form tanked.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Indeed, our squad depth is very bad. Who in the squad can come in and expect to score goals? It's basically Igahlo and thats it, all of our wide options lack quality in the final third. Having Sancho would allow us to rotate our forwards resting one at a time.
He'll also give us another creative option. The signing makes so much sense.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I quite like Fred but he's obviously not a creative player, he has 2 goals and 4 assists in 3,220 minutes this season, all of them in the Europa League. Pogba has 4 in 781 and they're all in the league, there's no comparison creatively. Our main play makers were Pereira and Lingard which is why we struggled so much when Pogba was injured, Danny James too before his form tanked.
Again like I said. Bruno Fred/Mctominay and Matic midfield wouldn't struggle to create chances. That is my point and it has been proven when Bruno arrived and Pogba was out injured. It doesn't matter whether Pogba creates more than Fred. He creates more than most midfielders. What matters is would we still perform if Pogba is out and we did. It's when Bruno is out I'd start to worry.

Also Lingard and Pereira were our main playmakers but Fred created the most key passes...playing from deep

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
With The Sun (hmmm), saying we've agreed terms but not yet a fee, I think we need to get this over the line damn quick before it becomes another Harland affair. I just hope Sancho has been watching out last few games and is exciting but Woodward has the ability to feck up everything... "hello Dortmund, will £5m be enough?"

BlackShark_80

This is from Ruhr Nachricten (Watzke's mouthpiece)
  • Borussia Dortmund is negotiating from a comfortable situation, despite the effects from the corona crisis. And BVB is unwilling to move even an inch away from its ideas.
  • A corona discount, managing director Watzke said last week, will not be given to Jadon Sancho, "not a euro". According to information from Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund has now deposited the framework conditions for a transfer with the only real interested party, the red devils. Manchester United are informed that Sancho may switch for a fixed amount of 120 million euros this summer.
  • No other serious prospects for the 20-year-old shooting star have knocked on the door in Dortmund. Chelsea are out of the race after investing in Timo Werner, Liverpool are apparently more focused on strengthening the defensive midfield and have targeted Bayern's Thiago. And a return to Manchester City three years after saying goodbye with some noise, after Sancho unilaterally terminated his training contract, the almighty coach Pep Guardiola has already classified as not smart and advisable.
  • The position of the player is still open towards Dortmund. Sancho's father is said to have been at the office in Dortmund in June. The club has so far received no signals that Jadon Sancho wants to leave BVB at any cost.
  • Dortmund want it done before August 10th. If he even gets on the plane to Bad Ragaz, he's staying at Dortmund.

0le

You can't play the same three players in 60+ games and expect them all to remain injury free and/or maintain the same level of performance. It is also silly to think Sancho will play exclusively on the right. Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Greenwood can pretty much play anywhere across that line so no one is going to lose meaningful game time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I know whilst Pogba was out and before Bruno we struggled to break teams down

spiriticon

I don't know where his best position is, but we need a right winger more so than a left.

If he only wants to play from the left, then maybe he's not a priority signing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.