James Garner (out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

I for one don't think he's very good. He's perhaps a footballer at Everton's level but i can't see him playing regularly for them as the season progresses. Everton will get someone better and he won't be in the team anymore. Ten Hag willingness to sell him also probably means he doesn't rate Garner as highly as the Caf

romufc

It’s okay. We will just have to fact check your posts from here on in. It’s no problem.

I will add our youth team won the FA cup recently and despite the lagging facilities we are still creating talented professional footballers. There’s high hopes for many of this current crop.

Additionally whilst we have been poor at selling that has improved in recent times. Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Lukaku all pretty much recouped their fees for example.

Obviously we’ve struggled for any sort of consistency on and off the pitch post Sir Alex but I’d rather be hopeful of the new regime than continually dig up the past as a stick to be negative and dramatic about.
Ha! They were sold for cheaper than what we bought them.

Lukaku was bought for 76m and sold for 67m. A few years later Inter sold him to Chelsea for 100m

Schneiderlin was bought for 30 and sold for 25m, another loss.

Di Maria was bought for 67m and sold for 45m.

So you can pick out 3 in 10 years which we made a loss on all as we have improved :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marwood

I don't need to argue with someone who thinks our training facilities are on par with City.
It's not an argument. Nor do I have a clue about who has the better facilities.

I'm genuinely asking the question to someone who knows City have better youth development facilities.

Specifically what facilities do thay have that we don't have at Carrington that produces better young players?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The fee is not very good. I am not so sure he was good enough for us so am cool with selling him but would have liked to see above £12m and I am sure someone would have paid that.

MuFc_1992

Lukaku was bought for 76m and sold for 67m. A few years later Inter sold him to Chelsea for 100m

So you can pick out 3 in 10 years which we made a loss on all as we have improved :lol: :lol: :lol:
Considering how poor those players were for us, we did well to recoup almost 75-80 percent of what we paid for them. When we are signing any top player, we're taking a huge gamble on them being somewhat successful and being a guaranteed starter. If they fail then we have no leverage as a selling club as we'd be stuck with a player who can't get into our starting XI earning wages only 5-6 clubs in the world are willing to pay and those clubs are not going to buy Man Utd flops because they already have starting XI better than us.

Revaulx

For people saying we should have gotten 30M for him, Transfermarkt has him as 7M.

The sensible deal would've been selling to Forest, but I think Ten Hag wanted to look at him. The fact that Iqbal and Savage got more game time that him in preseason is a good assessment of Ten Hag don't rating him.

He's 21, with Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, Fred and VdB in front on him. Another loan made no sense and he wasn't going to get any minutes this season.

15M is a good selling value, would've loved to that a buy back clause but you rarely use those.
I think you’re right overall, but don’t forget he was injured for most of pre-season. We can’t be certain, but I’m pretty sure he’d have got a decent amount of game time if he hadn’t been. So much of young players’ progression is down to being in the right place at the right time, and if you miss your opportunity you might not get another, sadly.

Kostov

Oh Ofcourse posters are not clued up but you are?

Its called scouting, City have a great youth academy and the players are playing a certain brand. Which is why they are getting such prices.

Garner was on loan at Forest, they decided to spend 150m+ and decided Garner is not worth £9m must tell you something about him.
That’s the same like saying, Haaland was available for 60m and we bought Antony for 100m. It’s not that Forrest did not want him.

TheReligion

Abusive

You’re not the brightest star in the sky are you?

When a player doesn’t do well you tend to find their value drops. United did well at recouping what they did for those high profile players.

Add a few more green smilies though. You’ll get there in the end.

romufc

That’s the same like saying, Haaland was available for 60m and we bought Antony for 100m. It’s not that Forrest did not want him.
Its clearly not the same.

1. Garner had played for Forest for over a season.
2. Garner would have gone back to Forrest, Haaland wouldn't have come to United
3. Haaland went to City, the PL champions, Garner is going to Everton
4. Antony is a RW and Haaland is a ST.
5. Garner is a CM - Forest bought Frueler for 8m, O'Brien for 8m, Mangala for 11m. They bought 3 CM's and did not even look at Garner who had been on loan.

Clearly its different.

Kostov

Its clearly not the same.

1. Garner had played for Forest for over a season.
2. Garner would have gone back to Forrest, Haaland wouldn't have come to United
3. Haaland went to City, the PL champions, Garner is going to Everton
4. Antony is a RW and Haaland is a ST.
5. Garner is a CM - Forest bought Frueler for 8m, O'Brien for 8m, Mangala for 11m. They bought 3 CM's and did not even look at Garner who had been on loan.

Clearly its different.
We weren’t selling Garner nor loaning him out. Forrest made other plans. It’s not the situation some of you are trying to paint. Like most things it’s a total feck up in planning from the club.

romufc

You’re not the brightest star in the sky are you?

When a player doesn’t do well you tend to find their value drops. United did well at recouping what they did for those high profile players.

Add a few more green smilies though. You’ll get there in the end.
Oh Ofcourse, you are the clever one.

So does this mechanism only work at United? Or is it a a general one?

Because Solanke done so well at Liverpool he got a £30m fee
Because Ibe done so well he got £15m fee
Sane was sold for more
Tomori, Abrhaman were sold for over 30m

But ofcourse you're too bright to see it.

romufc

We weren’t selling Garner nor loaning him out. Forrest made other plans. It’s not the situation some of you are trying to paint. Like most things it’s a total feck up in planning from the club.
Ofcourse its not the same situation.

Its like Ajax were handing out Lisandro and Antony right? Thats why we signed those players?

If a club wants a player, they make a big or show interest, none of that was there for Garner.

We werent selling or loaning Garner, look forward to seing him in the United squad next season then.

TheReligion

Abusive
Oh Ofcourse, you are the clever one.

So does this mechanism only work at United? Or is it a a general one?

Because Solanke done so well at Liverpool he got a £30m fee
Because Ibe done so well he got £15m fee
Sane was sold for more
Tomori, Abrhaman were sold for over 30m

But ofcourse you're too bright to see it.
I think you have now forgot the age of human beings.

Kostov

Ofcourse its not the same situation.

Its like Ajax were handing out Lisandro and Antony right? Thats why we signed those players?

If a club wants a player, they make a big or show interest, none of that was there for Garner.

We werent selling or loaning Garner, look forward to seing him in the United squad next season then.
Not everyone goes and blows their budget on players that the seller will only sell if you overpay, that’s also called planning and reasonable spending.

By forcing Ajax into selling those 2 we ended our chances in bringing additional CM, ST and RB, but who cares right “it’s not our money”.

And selling him for 9m is hardly something to gloat about.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not everyone goes and blows their budget on players that the seller will only sell if you overpay, that’s also called planning and reasonable spending.

By forcing Ajax into selling those 2 we ended our chances in bringing additional CM, ST and RB, but who cares right “it’s not our money”.

£15m? (heard add ons not too onerous, could be wrong)

alexanderplatz

everything else aside, 25 for Schneiderlin was solid business!

romufc

Nottingham Forest bought Gibbs white for £42m but okay.

Also, no one saying to Forest had to blow their budget, they didn't even enquire about Garner suggests that they dont rate him.

No one is gloating for selling for £9m, the point is he is gone for that much because that is his quality.

TypeR

Assuming that the sell-on clause is 20%, if we ever go back in and buy him off Everton, does it mean we get 20% off the market valuation?

If true, that’s in essence a pseudo buyback clause. Top plan :D

Ekeke

Really bad deal for us. Garner will be worth over £10 million for his delivery into the box alone. And 20% of the profits on for example 30 million if he went for that in a couple of years is just 3.1 million. So even if they pay all the bonuses, and then sell him on for £30 million in a couple of seasons we'd still be looking at less than £20 million paid to us for him. Imo £20 million is what he's worth now, so cheap investment for Everton and great business for them

Garner-Onana

Garnana are going to be a very good CM pairing for Everton I think. Onana is very physical so that'll help Garner

Ekeke

Assuming that the sell-on clause is 20%, if we ever go back in and buy him off Everton, does it mean we get 20% off the market valuation?

If true, that’s in essence a pseudo buyback clause. Top plan :D
Its 20% of the profits. So 20% of any extra money over the £15.5 million they pay us. So even if the fee is doubled we'd get like £3.5 million... or £3.5 million off the price. Its nothing

tomaldinho1

Its 20% of the profits. So 20% of any extra money over the £15.5 million they pay us. So even if the fee is doubled we'd get like £3.5 million... or £3.5 million off the price. Its nothing
How warped football has made everyone about money. You’re saying a £18.5 MILLION fee for a player who most think is average at best and cost us £0 is ‘nothing’.

Abraxas

I just think he's got way too many flaws to go to Everton and immediately make a big impact in the PL. He's nothing more than a project for them at this moment in time, and maybe not even a starter yet. I think that reflects in the fee. I do think we lost out on a few million potentially.

His influence in games seems quite low. So either there is a lack of positional understanding or confidence that needs work. He doesn't really turn with the ball, carry the ball that well. He's fairly one dimensional in that what he is going to do is get the ball and play within himself with his passing.

He does however hold his own defensively and put in a decent set piece. Reasonable passing.

Maybe we've got it wrong in not putting in a buy back, but I think that shows that the coaching don't have much faith.

Ekeke

How warped football has made everyone about money. You’re saying a £18.5 MILLION fee for a player who most think is average at best and cost us £0 is ‘nothing’.
I'm saying the 20% of the profits is nothing. How warped some posters who cant capitalize names are when they can't even read properly.

tomaldinho1

I'm saying the 20% of the profits is nothing. How warped some posters who cant capitalize names are when they can't even read properly.
This doesn't make sense. I don't know what you are trying to say.

Kostov

Also, no one saying to Forest had to blow their budget, they didn't even enquire about Garner suggests that they dont rate him.

No one is gloating for selling for £9m, the point is he is gone for that much because that is his quality.
How do you know they did not enquire?

Ane Gibbs-White cost them 25m+add ons

romufc

How do you know they did not enquire?

Ane Gibbs-White cost them 25m+add ons
I guess you know what the clauses are.

Clearly because it isn't reported, any other enquiries for players we have had, have been reported.

acnumber9

So even if they pay all the bonuses, and then sell him on for £30 million in a couple of seasons we'd still be looking at less than £20 million paid to us for him. Imo £20 million is what he's worth now, so cheap investment for Everton and great business for them
He’s only worth that now if anybody is willing to pay it. There is no queue of teams waiting to pay that fee for him. And ultimately if he’s a £30m player after a few years of playing regularly then he would never have proven good enough for United. The alternative was him remaining on the bench only losing further value.

SAFMUTD

I think you’re right overall, but don’t forget he was injured for most of pre-season. We can’t be certain, but I’m pretty sure he’d have got a decent amount of game time if he hadn’t been. So much of young players’ progression is down to being in the right place at the right time, and if you miss your opportunity you might not get another, sadly.
Thats right, IMO players that havent break through at least as a substitute by the time theyre 21 will most likely not make it. Of course there could be an extension here and there bust most will likely end up like Pereira, Tuanzebe and company.

whitbyviking

Must have been extremely poor in training to not get some game time, especially so when you consider McTom has been a starter.

cyberman

Was about to post this. If Gilmour is 9m, I think 15 for Garner is probably reasonable.
Garner hasn’t done anything over Gilmour, Gilmour had great performances at Euro 2020 and started most games for their WC qualification run.
This overrating of a championship season is beyond weird at this point.

Gandalf

Somewhat undermining your credibility when you make a point of stating one fee by including every potential add on in the price and then quote Garner's price without any add ons at all. Your earlier posts referencing fees paid and received in previous deals including some interesting math too. Not even saying your point is necessarily wrong but your facts should be accurate if you are going to use them to make your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.