James Garner

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Hughton sacked. Hope this doesn't turn into a similar situation as his first loan last year

Mickson

Hughton sacked. Hope this doesn't turn into a similar situation as his first loan last year
That would be worrying because their squad is absolutely shit. I don't think there's much of a chance though, Steve Cooper is taking over and he loves youth players.

Gandalf

That would be worrying because their squad is absolutely shit. I don't think there's much of a chance though, Steve Cooper is taking over and he loves youth players.
Would definitely echo that, I was concerned about the impact of Chris getting sacked as it has been coming for a couple of weeks but Steve Cooper is an excellent young coach and has done great work developing youth at Swansea including loan players from the likes of Chelsea. Garner could end up getting a great education over the course of the season and that is what this is all about.

Joseunited

Where have you heard that Cooper is taking over?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He has worked hard in the games I’ve watched but that side is so low on morale. Hopefully Cooper can get them playing with more confidence

Mickson

Ah ok, thanks. For some reason I thought Cooper was the manager at Swansea.
That's not strange at all since Cooper was manager there last season! Swansea has had some difficulties though and only appointed their new manager a few days before the season started.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Kinda wished he stayed this year so we can see if he's up to it. Hopefully next season he will get his chance though if we sign a midfielder i wonder how much he will play.

telstar96

Anyone been following this loan since the change of manager?
He started Tuesday night against Bristol City and played the full 90. Steve Cooper has a track record of working with young players, so hopefully Garner will benefit.

Joseunited

He started Tuesday night against Bristol City and played the full 90. Steve Cooper has a track record of working with young players, so hopefully Garner will benefit.
Did they not both work together at the u17 World Cup or did Garner not go to that?

telstar96

Did they not both work together at the u17 World Cup or did Garner not go to that?
Yh, he did work with Garner but at the 2018 U17 European Championships.

The talent he worked with at the U17 level is incredible. Sancho, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Angel Gomes, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Gallagher, Musah, Madueke etc, the list goes on. He’s also worked with Sterling and Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool, so I hope he can help guide Garner.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I believe he was particular good yesterday. Anyone see?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Man of the match. Has been really impressive last few weeks. Yesterday he was very very good
Excellent. I'm wondering if this is why we're not trying to get a midfielder in.

jeff_goldblum

I believe he was particular good yesterday. Anyone see?
I hadn't seen a full senior game of his before and thought he was really impressive. Stood out, popped up all over the place and generally looked very composed in a really competitive match.

userman

To anyone thats actually seen him play this season(I have not); does he look ready for the PL? If we end up not signing anyone this window, could it be sensible to recall him as a backup/rotational option?
He looked promising although not ready, especially physically, when he got some minutes a few seasons back.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
To anyone thats actually seen him play this season(I have not); does he look ready for the PL? If we end up not signing anyone this window, could it be sensible to recall him as a backup/rotational option?
He looked promising although not ready, especially physically, when he got some minutes a few seasons back.
No chance I'd recall him as he's probably hitting his high point of the season right now and it makes no sense to disrupt that as he certainly isn't going to be the difference for whether or not we make top 4.

Next season depending on how many players we lose I think he could be a good rotation option, but I am also wary that we could be blooding 1 too many youngsters with Hannibal, Laird and Elanga all getting to that point in their careers. Personally expect it to be Laird that misses out as I don't see AWB being sold and Dalot is performing decently at the moment so he'd be quite far down the pecking order.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve only seen highlights too but put it this way. Gallagher can’t get into Chelsea’s team, as it should be. Garner is a good player going from strength to strength but he still needs a few seasons at a middle PL club before we let him conduct. Like Carrick at spurs ;)

GueRed

He played as the most advanced midfielder behind a front two against Derby this weekend.

I only caught the 2nd half. He played ok. 6/10

Mickson

No chance I'd recall him as he's probably hitting his high point of the season right now and it makes no sense to disrupt that as he certainly isn't going to be the difference for whether or not we make top 4.

Next season depending on how many players we lose I think he could be a good rotation option, but I am also wary that we could be blooding 1 too many youngsters with Hannibal, Laird and Elanga all getting to that point in their careers. Personally expect it to be Laird that misses out as I don't see AWB being sold and Dalot is performing decently at the moment so he'd be quite far down the pecking order.
Laird is better than both AWB and Dalot so.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Laird is better than both AWB and Dalot so.
In your opinion. I don't rate either of AWB or Dalot too highly myself, but with the amount of players nearing the end of their contracts or just wanting out it's unrealistic to expect us to sell either of them if they are happy staying so Laird will likely go on loan back to Bournemouth again

Andrew7582

In your opinion. I don't rate either of AWB or Dalot too highly myself, but with the amount of players nearing the end of their contracts or just wanting out it's unrealistic to expect us to sell either of them if they are happy staying so Laird will likely go on loan back to Bournemouth again
Dalot will be safe under the next manager, at least initially, AWB will be the one in danger. If the next manager has a strong preference for attacking full backs he won't have any use for AWB, so it would make a lot of sense to move him on and bring someone more suitable in, or give Laird his chance.

Mickson

Yeah, or maybe the new manager decides that he doesn't really care and just plays the best players? We can easily sell Dalot after this season, for example. Actually, I would like a Laird/AWB combination. Two different players with different strengths, and both could be useful.

Regarding Garner, he didn't look ready in the summer and the clock is ticking. IMO he hasn't shown that he is United class yet. A good player though.

Dan_F

I’ve only seen highlights too but put it this way. Gallagher can’t get into Chelsea’s team, as it should be. Garner is a good player going from strength to strength but he still needs a few seasons at a middle PL club before we let him conduct. Like Carrick at spurs ;)
This. You have to be so special to play centre midfield for a top club at 20 years old.

Andrew7582

Yeah, or maybe the new manager decides that he doesn't really care and just plays the best players? We can easily sell Dalot after this season, for example. Actually, I would like a Laird/AWB combination. Two different players with different strengths, and both could be useful.

Regarding Garner, he didn't look ready in the summer and the clock is ticking. IMO he hasn't shown that he is United class yet. A good player though.
How would AWB be useful to a manager like ETH? He doesn't have the technical ability or football iq to play in that kind of system. He would be shown the door straight away unless the board interfere with squad management.

Mickson

How would AWB be useful to a manager like ETH? He doesn't have the technical ability or football iq to play in that kind of system. He would be shown the door straight away unless the board interfere with squad management.
No maybe not under ETH, even though I think he can be developed further. I think he could be useful for closing a game or just playing 1vs1 against some players. With that in mind, I would def sell him (or never bought him) if I was in charge.

dutchred

No maybe not under ETH, even though I think he can be developed further. I think he could be useful for closing a game or just playing 1vs1 against some players. With that in mind, I would def sell him (or never bought him) if I was in charge.
If ETH comes he will almost certainly bring Masaroui with him