James, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford: What do you expect?

Kag

This lot have started the majority of our matches this season.

What sort of football are you expecting to see? They’re a midtable attacking unit that play exactly like a midtable attacking unit. James is a good egg and would be a great squad player in an otherwise talented squad. But the rest of them have been abysmal. Lingard and Pereira, in particular, are a million miles away from being good enough.

I still understand and support the club’s decision to jettison wasters like Lukaku and Sanchez, but there’s no denying just how abominable our transfer business has been with regards to midfield and attack.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Matic, Fred, Pogba. All bought in recent seasons and only one of them remotely good enough (and grossly unpopular, too). And now we’re left to fight for success with Lingard, Pereira, James and Rashford.

Honestly, what do you really expect?

Lee565

Well its ole that keeps favouring them and starting them when there are other options, look at Emery, he was not afraid to start 18 year old sakho away at old trafford.

Besides I thought James was this amazing signing like most fans keep saying?

Fooza

Preach brother, preach.

But Jlingz being at united still, I just... I just....god help me. I really have no words at this point.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well its ole that keeps favouring them and starting them when there are other options, look at Emery, he was not afraid to start 18 year old sakho away at old trafford
The Arsenal kid looked good enough to warrant his place though, it wasn't blind faith from Emery. Who have we got? Gomes is injured, yes Greenwood could have started but besides him who's left? Chong? He's as bad as the aforementioned players

Kag

Well its ole that keeps favouring them and starting them when there are other options, look at Emery, he was not afraid to start 18 year old sakho away at old trafford
The only other option that is remotely realistic is to start Pogba further upfield and start Fred or Matic on a more regular basis. Slightly less shit, potentially.

Greenwood shouldn’t and won’t be run into the ground before we hit November. He’ll get his league games before long.

Let’s be honest. The other options aren’t exactly appealing.

Last edited:

Will Singh

But but JlingZ is still young and we should give him time like another 3/4 seasons....

In all honesty JlingZ playing for united sums things up, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the 1st team of the other top 6 sides.

Kag

James has no business being associated with the other three.
I’ve made a point of praising him. Sadly, he is associated because he’s a young, promising winger from the Championship that is now, by default, our best, fit attacking player. That can never be right.

Eddy_JukeZ

Do we need Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo to score more than once?

Ole keeps playing Lingard and Peieira.

He went into the season happy with the squad as he has said numerous times.

Lee565

The Arsenal kid looked good enough to warrant his place though, it wasn't blind faith from Emery. Who have we got? Gomes is injured, yes Greenwood could have started but besides him who's left? Chong? He's as bad as the aforementioned players
The only other option that is remotely realistic is to start Pogba further upfield and start Fred or Matic on a more regular basis. Slightly less shit, potentially.

Greenwood shouldn’t and won’t be run into the ground before we hit November. He’ll get his league games before long.

Let’s be honest. The other options are exactly appealing.
How about going with a formation that suits the players at our disposal rather than keep persisting with 4231 when you dont have the correct players in certain positions, also it was Ole that pushed lukaku to the side in favour of giving rashford the 1st team striker position and I dontt see what is wrong with starting Greenwood at the moment when van Gaal did it with rashford at the same age and we have seen it done with many other youngsters, you didnt see Emery take sakho out of the side in fear of "burning him out".

Red00012

Well its ole that keeps favouring them and starting them when there are other options, look at Emery, he was not afraid to start 18 year old sakho away at old trafford.

Besides I thought James was this amazing signing like most fans keep saying?
Sakho:lol: research before posting

Kag

These are the crazy stats of these players playing under Ole....
Are you suggesting that the likes of Lingard and Pereira, in particular, would appear to be considerably better players under a different manager?

Look, I’ve supported our players more than most. I’ve relentlessly defended the players during spells in which the football has been deplorable. But I was doing that when we were playing the likes of Herrera and Pogba in midfield. Back when Mata was actually good. Back when we had Champions League players like Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic and Di Maria. Or when we’ve had young, talented stars like Shaw and Martial.

But I’m talking about lads like Lingard, Pereira and, on current form, Rashford. McTominay is our first choice ‘defensive midfielder’. This is a midtable team we’re fielding.

Crashoutcassius

This lot have started the majority of our matches this season.

What sort of football are you expecting to see? They’re a midtable attacking unit that play exactly like a midtable attacking unit. James is a good egg and would be a great squad player in an otherwise talented squad. But the rest of them have been abysmal. Lingard and Pereira, in particular, are a million miles away from being good enough.

I still understand and support the club’s decision to jettison wasters like Lukaku and Sanchez, but there’s no denying just how abominable our transfer business has been with regards to midfield and attack.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Matic, Fred, Pogba. All bought in recent seasons and only one of them remotely good enough (and grossly unpopular, too). And now we’re left to fight for success with Lingard, Pereira, James and Rashford.

Honestly, what do you really expect?
If pogba never plays well how long do we say he is good enough. Do we just innately know he is good enough forever despite actual performances

Lentwood

I keep saying this but most posters seem to underestimate quite how bad that attacking unit is

Home truth time - how many PL teams would Rashford start for as a centre forward, or even winger on current form?

How many teams would/should JLingz start for? Pereira?

I genuinely believe that if all three of those players went to the Championship tomorrow they wouldn’t stand out

If a Championship team had a front three of Rashford, Lingard and Pereira would that look like a phenomenal line-up...Id say not

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It is called coaching. A good manager can make average players have a positive impact on the team. As shite as Sissoko, Wink, Henderson, Matic, and Xhaka, Luiz, etc are, their managers still make them have a positive influence on their team. Ole cant do that because he can’t coach. I would bet £100 that if Pochettino, Klopp or Pep comes in, we will see an improvement in these players performance tenfold.

These players are not so much worse than players you see at Westham, Norwich, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, and leceister. Yet the managers of those teams are coaching their players to improve their team dynamic because that is what a manager is supposed to do...coach there players. These are not pub footballer we are talking about here. They are players lacking confidence. Back in the honeymoon period, these same players were great.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We wouldn't fear that front 4 if it was Watford's starting line up but people are expecting great football because they play for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I thought we were alright until the final third. You can tell we weren't coached or drilled in attack. We tried to zip it across the box when we have 1-2 guys all double marked. That's virtually all we do.

Leftback99

It is called coaching. A good manager can make average players have a positive impact on the team. As shite as Sissoko, Wink, Henderson, Matic, and Xhaka, Luiz, etc are, their managers still make them have a positive influence on their team. Ole cant do that because he can’t coach. I would bet £100 that if Pochettino, Klopp or Pep comes in, we will see an improvement in these players performance tenfold.

These players are not so much worse than players you see at Westham, Norwich, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, and leceister. Yet the managers of those teams are coaching their players to improve their team dynamic because that is what a manager is supposed to do...coach there players. These are not pub footballer we are talking about here. They are players lacking confidence. Back in the honeymoon period, these same players were great.
It's easier to look good as an average midfield clogger breaking up play than in attack where you actually need quality to make something happen.

Or can you name some average forward lines that score loads of goals?

Kag

You’ve listed a boatload of midfielders that play in teams that play significantly better attackers.

James, Pereira, Lingard and Rashford weren’t part of the attacking line up during the ‘honeymoon’ period. Martial was playing, Lukaku was a regular option and Herrera was playing every week in midfield.

Our current front four is appalling.

AFC NimbleThumb

Remove Dan James’ name from the thread title.

He does not deserve to be listed alongside the chuckle brothers.

Note to all: Solskjær was happy with these attacking options.

Lee565

It's easier to look good as an average midfield clogger breaking up play than in attack where you actually need quality to make something happen.

Well the likes of Bournemouth, Chelsea, west ham and Leicester have scored more than us this season

Amadaeus

Mane, Salah, Ali, Lamela, Moura, Firmino, Abraham, Mount, are just a few average forwards that turn into great or productive time players once their managers coached them properly. None of these players were that highly regarded, until they were coached.

Lee565

Remove Dan James’ name from the thread title.

He does not deserve to be listed alongside the chuckle brothers.

Note to all: Solskjær was happy with these attacking options.
Also it was solskjear's choice to prioritise spending 120 million on defenders than on attackers

Leftback99

Mane, Salah, Ali, Lamela, Moura, Firmino, Abraham, Mount, are just a few average forwards that turn into great or productive time players once their managers coached them properly. None of these players were that highly regarded, until they were coached.
If you say so.

Amadaeus

You’ve listed a boatload of midfielders that play in teams that play significantly better attackers.

James, Pereira, Lingard and Rashford weren’t part of the attacking line up during the ‘honeymoon’ period. Martial was playing, Lukaku was a regular option and Herrera was playing every week in midfield.

Our current front four is appalling.
Lingard and Rashford were part of our lineup during the honeymoon period. Pereira was also selected sometime. Lukaku was dropped for Rashford during that time.

I m not saying our front four isn’t bad, but it could be better if they were coached and had confidence. To be honest, if I was the manager, I would just add Sancho and Håland to our attack and it would see a significant improvement. I wouldn’t let go of any of these players, just give them competition.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Burnley forward line is as average as they come. The trio of Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez have scored 8 goals between them this season. That's 1 less than our teams total this season. They play probably the worst football in the division but the manager is coaching these players to turn his shit football into results. Same applies for attacking four at Bournemouth of Ryan Fraser, Callum Wilson, Harry Wilson and Joshua King who have scored 11 goals between them. Norwich play 4-4-1-1 and their two players up top in Cantwell and Pukki have scored 8 goals this season. Lampards' kindergarten attack which comprises of Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham have scored 10 between them.

Do you want me to continue and provide you with more examples? It's not hard to see we are a poorly coached team as the poster was pointing out, we have no pattern to our attack, little off the ball movement and that's the reason we struggle to create anything. We have created just 8 big chances this season ffs, that puts us as 17th in the PL table. When it comes to creating from open play, the table has us at 18th. There are much deeper issues in our footballing structure than simply the quality (or lack) of players. Otherwise the teams with much worse players than ours wouldn't be above us.

AFC NimbleThumb

there you go.
This guy must think we fans are idiots.

So the players he wanted weren’t available in the Summer but they’ll be available in January which is notoriously harder to negotiate in.

Truth is, he thought he could have another bounce in form, it hasn’t happened & he’s backtracking.

Enigma_87

You know who
This guy must think we fans are idiots.

So the players he wanted weren’t available in the Summer but they’ll be available in January which is notoriously harder to negotiate in.

Truth is, he thought he could have another bounce in form, it hasn’t happened & he’s backtracking.
He probably thought that Martial and Rashford will be fit most of the time and will avoid injuries till the end of the next season, which on its own, based on their record is wildly optimistic to put it mildly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also it was solskjear's choice to prioritise spending 120 million on defenders than on attackers
For good reason. Our defence was bottom half of the league level while our attack was top 6 level last year. The issue was simply selling Lukaku without replacing him (and Herrera in midfield who could provide balance).

snowkarl

Burnley forward line is as average as they come. The trio of Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez have scored 8 goals between them this season. That's 1 less than our teams total this season. They play probably the worst football in the division but the manager is coaching these players to turn his shit football into results. Same applies for attacking four at Bournemouth of Ryan Fraser, Callum Wilson, Harry Wilson and Joshua King who have scored 11 goals between them. Norwich play 4-4-1-1 and their two players up top in Cantwell and Pukki have scored 8 goals this season. Lampards' kindergarten attack which comprises of Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham have scored 10 between them.

Do you want me to continue and provide you with more examples? It's not hard to see we are a poorly coached team as the poster was pointing out, we have no pattern to our attack, little off the ball movement and that's the reason we struggle to create anything. We have created just 8 big chances this season ffs, that puts us as 17th in the PL table. When it comes to creating from open play, the table has us at 18th. There are much deeper issues in our footballing structure than simply the quality (or lack) of players. Otherwise the teams with much worse players than ours wouldn't be above us.
What's funny is that Barnes is actually a very good player and not only plays a good target game but is fairly quick, makes good runs and scores a fair few goals considering his roal in a team like Burnley.

Even more sad is the fact that Bournemouth's front 4 is like twice as good as ours at the moment. Pretty dire.

Leftback99

Those 4 Bournemouth players are good players, Wilson is linked with £70m+ moves, King has proved himself over a number of seasons in the PL (a 16 goal season is better than anything Rashford has produced) and Fraser produces a lot of assists.

Norwich haven't scored for 2 games since the freak City result.

Burnley have proven target men which we don't have.

Lampard's youngsters are taking the next step after proving themselves in the Championship (like Dan James is). With the added quality of William and Perdro around them.

Yes bring some more examples if you want?

Wheato

I have to say, I love Marcus, but he has been really poor this season. He has had numerous one on ones with goal keepers and fluffed it every time. In the 2013 season when we last won the league, we had many games where there was only one clear chance and RVP was so clinical we ended up getting the 3 points. We are having chances, but we don't seem to have anyone with that killer instinct in front of goal. Another bug bear is the fact that we have one of the best headers of the ball in Maguire, and out of eleventy trillion corners we haven't found his bonce yet. I think there is worse to come, so buckle up and hold on. It's going to be a rough ride. Just need to focus on the small improvements and celebrate the highs. We will come back again.