James Maddison | Spurs

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No idea how we got him for a snip especially with Winks going the other way for £10m, he seems like a bit of a cock but a very good player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As I said, so much better than Mount. Would've been a far better signing.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah I definitely would’ve preferred him to Mount. Never mind for less money.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I definitely would’ve preferred him to Mount. Never mind for less money.
I would have loved him at Arsenal as well and he'd look quite useful for City now with De Bruyne out. Very strange there was so little market for him that he ended up at Spurs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A Maddison - Casemiro - Bruno midfield is even more unbalanced than what he had. And I don't think he wanted a bench role at United behind Bruno.

Quality player though, always thought that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I would have loved him at Arsenal as well and he'd look quite useful for City now with De Bruyne out. Very strange there was so little market for him that he ended up at Spurs.
Yeah I thought that too. I don’t follow the transfer market much but it seemed like he went to Spurs with no fuss, and going into the summer with Leicester potentially relegated there were no serious rumours of him going to a top club. Strange.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A Maddison - Casemiro - Bruno midfield is even more unbalanced than what he had. And I don't think he wanted a bench role at United behind Bruno.

Madison possesses attributes we need, though. Something none of Casemiro, Bruno or Mount possess. He's very press resistant. Can dribble, has the agility to turn away from his marker, the balance and strength to shield the ball under pressure.

Exactly what we're crying out for.

Red_toad

Madison possesses attributes we need, though. Something none of Casemiro, Bruno or Mount possess. He's very press resistant. Can dribble, has the agility to turn away from his marker, the balance and strength to shield the ball under pressure.

Exactly what we're crying out for.
Press resistant? Guy falls over at the slightest touch. A cheat of the highest order

Sgreddevil

I wonder why we didn't sign him up. He looks miles better than any of our midfielders.

kps88

I think the top teams would have had some doubt over his work rate off the ball. He's a good fit for Spurs because they literally have no other creative players so they can build around him. He needs two hard working midfielders behind him so not sure he can play in the same team as Bruno.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Agreed. Nunes looked fantastic against us, and now Maddison and Bissouma. Our (total lack thereof) midfield is the litmus test for half decent opposition midfielders.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Press resistant? Guy falls over at the slightest touch. A cheat of the highest order
Definitely. It's hard to win the ball off him because he has the agility and balance to turn away from his opponent, and is smart with the way he positions himself between the ball and the opponent.

Whereas with our players, if they don't have a passing option and need to hold onto the ball, they lose it so easily because they're as weak as.

AFC NimbleThumb

Did nothing until his team put him in front. Bissouma was the type of player we should be lauding today, Maddison was meh.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's been two games, calm down.
If you really think Mount is a better player than Maddison your gonna need a hell of a lot more games than 2 to convince urself. Mount is technically a very good player the problem is no one really knows what position he plays in, he would be ideal as a play maker, behind a big 9, problem is football has moved on from that.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I wonder why we didn't sign him up. He looks miles better than any of our midfielders.
Probably would not want to sit on the bench behind Bruno and in competition with Eriksen, big question marks over a midfield of Bruno, Maddison, Casemiro actually working, seems a bit lightweight. So it would be him or Bruno I would imagine, and he walks into the Spurs starting 11 with Bissouma and Bentancur behind him for cover. His only competition at Spurs is Lo Celso who is injury prone and probably on his way out of the club.

Highfather_24

People have justified Mount as being the better player because he is better off the ball. Jury's still out on that I'm afraid.

Sylar

Would have liked him especially for depth. Think he's always needed a better platform and a team that aspires for CL football isn't bad.
Having another play maker like him would have been beneficial for united imo. He's only 26 too.

I'm sure there's a reason we chose mount but I do think having him and a fit mainoo would give us better balance than mount and mainoo.
Let's see i guess.

Hes played down his ankle injury so for his sake hopefully he's fine.

Redderp

Of course he looks miles better when he is playing in an actual possession based system in his natural position with Sarr and Bissouma behind him to do all the defensive work.

If you put him next to Bruno and Casemiro in midfield and ask him to do defensive work he will look just as useless as Mount and Eriksen. These guys all need better defensive players behind them to be effective…

AFC NimbleThumb

because he played for Leicester and he was shit as per Redcafe.
Why’s there this sudden re-writing of the game as if Maddison did anything before his team went 1 up.

I like Maddison but the wave of ‘told you he was great’ coming after he was absent for a half & United were dreadful is what is ‘per Redcafe’.

Good player, would love to have him as an option but he’s not even the type of midfielder we can see United need right now.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If you really think Mount is a better player than Maddison your gonna need a hell of a lot more games than 2 to convince urself. Mount is technically a very good player the problem is no one really knows what position he plays in, he would be ideal as a play maker, behind a big 9, problem is football has moved on from that.
I think it's quite easy to make a case for Mount who has already been much more successful in his career than Maddison, and who is a player usually loved by his coaches - he offers a lot from a tactical perspective, in terms of discipline and work rate, that Maddison just doesn't. Just to be clear, I actually don't have a preference between the 2, I think they're both good PL players a level below the elite ones, and each have different strengths, but while Maddison is flashier and more decisive in and around the opposition book, I do think he can tend to be mercurial and drift in and out of games. Mount is definitely what suited our team more at the moment and I think this will appear more evidently as the season progresses (I actually think he's been fine in his first 2 appearances, which is an opinion that seems to be shared on some of the more granular tactical podcasts I listen to, so I'm a bit surprised by the backlash).

Real Name

Mount is definitely what suited our team more at the moment and I think this will appear more evidently as the season progresses (I actually think he's been fine in his first 2 appearances, which is an opinion that seems to be shared on some of the more granular tactical podcasts I listen to, so I'm a bit surprised by the backlash).
Lots of posters had it against him since he was bought, even before, he's already called a pointless signing and a fek up and most of them will not change their opinion cause it's more important of being right on the internet than anything.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Lots of posters had it against him since he was bought, even before, he's already called a pointless signing and a fek up and most of them will not change their opinion cause it's more important of being right on the internet than anything.
Yeah I think there's an element to it that he's gonna have to go above and beyond for some to admit they were wrong... but the issue is he's not that type of player, or at least that's not the role EtH wants him to have, I think, so it might be one of those endless debates for a while.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I think it's quite easy to make a case for Mount who has already been much more successful in his career than Maddison, and who is a player usually loved by his coaches - he offers a lot from a tactical perspective, in terms of discipline and work rate, that Maddison just doesn't. Just to be clear, I actually don't have a preference between the 2, I think they're both good PL players a level below the elite ones, and each have different strengths, but while Maddison is flashier and more decisive in and around the opposition book, I do think he can tend to be mercurial and drift in and out of games. Mount is definitely what suited our team more at the moment and I think this will appear more evidently as the season progresses (I actually think he's been fine in his first 2 appearances, which is an opinion that seems to be shared on some of the more granular tactical podcasts I listen to, so I'm a bit surprised by the backlash).
Off-topic, but could you share some of these tactics podcasts?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
no doubt Mount is technically a very good player., my problem with him is he’s no a box to box player, he’s not really an attacking midfielder, I don’t really know where he fits in. That’s up to ten Hag as to how he wants to deploy him. I thought it’s was an odd signing as you need more of a connecting midfielder.

Highfather_24

Drifting in and around games, and being lightweight defensively, are also problems Mason Mount seems to have.