James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The more I think about it the more I think Leicester will be thinking 60 million are you for real. He's an impressive player who will be in the demand and the fact Leicester know were in the rebuild stage means they will more than likely demand more than that figure.
Unless it is a ridiculous offer otherwise I doubt Leicester will be interested to sell. If they fail to sign Telemans this will mean they lose both of their #8 in the same window. They made it really hard for Mahrez last time. They are pushing for top 6 and European football qualification next season. They are targeting Tielemans, Jarrod Bowen, and a striker to challenge Vardy this summer. For every Pereira, Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison, Ndidi, there are Amartey, Mendy, Silva, Ghezzal, Iheanacho, and Slimani. So Leicester's transfer approach takes lots of risk. I expect Leicester would like to move those players on this summer.

Scholsey2004

Definitely. In fact, could this signing also signal a shift to a 4-4-2 diamond?

---------------------De Gea------------------
Dalot------New CB-----Lindelof-----Shaw
-------------------New DM-----------------
----------Bruno---------------Pogba------
-------------------Maddison---------------
--------Rashford------------Martial------
Pogba probably won't be here but yeah I like that a lot. Maddison and fernandes would probably dovetail quite nicely as well. Rabiot could easily replace pogba in playmaking since maddison and fernandes would have the attacking responsibility. Might represent better like this:

----------------Martial------Rashford------------------------
-----------Fernandes------Maddison----------------------
------------------Rabiot------McT/new DM----------------
Shaw-------Lindelof------Tuanzebe?-------Meunier
---------------------------New GK---------------------------------

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Isn't Rashford currently negotiating for a £200k+ salary? Shock horror, players want to be paid their worth.
I wonder what nationality Wayne Rooney was, I always assumed he was from the UK but given his salary demands, I guess he was from Eastern Europe or maybe Scandinavia.
There’s no actual proof Rashford has asked for that salary or that we’re even discussing a new contract with him at all.

OL29

There’s no actual proof Rashford has asked for that salary or that we’re even discussing a new contract with him at all.
Yeah, same way there's no proof that De Gea and Pogba haven't signed due to money. Either way, conflating players' loyalty with their passport is crazy to me.

Fox outside the box

Fully agree we need to be going for players with desire and work ethic and wanting to die for the club. I just wish we would have some kind of identity. Maddison plays as a number 10? Does that mean Ole will go down that route next season?
Going for that sort of player is just asking too much. Sure, the odd one may genuinely have affection towards the club but it's naive to expect it. We're an employer, this is a job and ultimately, people will go with the best option for their career. Just like any other job.

Just because you don't have a professional affiliation with the club or sport and therefore are driven by emotion, doesn't mean people actually within the sport will be.

Actors will take on projects they may not necessarily like the material of but its a good move either for the reputation or financially. They will probably be less passionate about the source material than the fans are but it doesn't mean they won't accept the role and do their best.

Not all of the marvel cast would have grown up adoring the lore and characters like many of the fans, and if they only cast people who did, they would probably either have little to no cast or a cast that can't act.

We expect different from footballers because we have a vested interest and personal connection to the club but it doesn't make it reasonable.

This 'die for the club' thing is just incredibly naive. Just like getting angry and calling them mercenaries if they choose to leave to go to a different club.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
£60m for Maddison over £100m for Felix? Are you serious?
See - this here. This sums up a faulty mentality to me.

If you would rather risk a kid who costs 100m, has no experience or certainty he could adapt to playing in this league, as well as moving to a new country at such a young age, then you are lost.

Obviously, I would rather you did and Maddison stays at Leicester.

Ekeke

Isn't Rashford currently negotiating for a £200k+ salary? Shock horror, players want to be paid their worth.
I wonder what nationality Wayne Rooney was, I always assumed he was from the UK but given his salary demands, I guess he was from Eastern Europe or maybe Scandinavia.
I dont know, why dont you ask Rashford? His deal isnt coming up soon though, De Gea's is.

1 out of tens of first team British players asks for a lot of money yes. We dont fare so well with first team foreign players. They tend to be harder to keep hold of

AFC NimbleThumb

Demand 150m for Pogba. Get the following players in using that money:

1. Rabiot (free)
2. Maddison (60m)
3. Bruno (60m)
4. Longstaff (20m) or Rice (30m + 20m of our own money)
Anyone who thinks we will spend the Pogba money pound for pound I don’t honestly know what to tell you.

He was Woody’s best piece of business; guaranteed not to depreciate. The profit from his sale with nestle nicely into the back pockets of the Glazers along with the extra £40+mil they save on buying a half priced replacement.

Selling Pogba is not the answer.

Onto Maddison, I highly doubt LCFC will sell; an astute club buys him last season.

Ekeke

Anyone who thinks we will spend the Pogba money pound for pound I don’t honestly know what to tell you.

He was Woody’s best piece of business; guaranteed not to depreciate. The profit from his sale with nestle nicely into the back pockets of the Glazers along with the extra £40+mil they save on buying a half priced replacement.

Selling Pogba is not the answer.

Onto Maddison, I highly doubt LCFC will sell; an astute club buys him last season.
We're likely to spend more than what we'd get for Pogba. We've done it multiple times before

OL29

I dont know, why dont you ask Rashford? His deal isnt coming up soon though, De Gea's is.

1 out of tens of first team British players asks for a lot of money yes. We dont fare so well with first team foreign players. They tend to be harder to keep hold of
Apart from Ronaldo, which foreign players have left us that we really wanted to keep hold of? Tevez maybe? Even with him, he would have been happy to stay had we not brought in Berbatov. On the other hand, we’ve had plenty of overseas players who are committed to the cause. Saying we don’t do well with foreign players is a massive reach and somewhat disrespectful.

Fosu-Mens

See - this here. This sums up a faulty mentality to me.

If you would rather risk a kid who costs 100m, has no experience or certainty he could adapt to playing in this league, as well as moving to a new country at such a young age, then you are lost.

Obviously, I would rather you did and Maddison stays at Leicester.
Certainly, there is a risk, but there is no certainty that Maddison will perform for MUFC either. Could just buy Sarabia for £15m from Sevilla and have a better player than Maddison.

You, are you serious?
If you mean that Felix for £100m is the better deal, then yes.

Ekeke

Apart from Ronaldo, which foreign players have left us that we really wanted to keep hold of? Tevez maybe? Even with him, he would have been happy to stay had we not brought in Berbatov. On the other hand, we’ve had plenty of overseas players who are committed to the cause. Saying we don’t do well with foreign players is a massive reach and somewhat disrespectful.
I didnt say that. You're just making things up.

I said we need to rely on our British core of players while the fancy players are asking for high wages.

I didnt say they are foreign. Although Pogba and De Gea are and they're the next issues we have with contracts after Ander. But it could be Rooney again, and once again we had a British core of players so we would have been fine selling him

SATA

What is it about him being a twat off the pitch coming from his Norwich days? Anyone genuinely knows, what did he do?

dev1l

If (a big IF) Maddison signs for us, I cannot see him in the same midfield as Pogba and Rabiot (another big If).
So if we get these two I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba will be allowed to leave. (and our friend Raiola will get another fat cheque)

Ekeke

What is it about him being a twat off the pitch coming from his Norwich days? Anyone genuinely knows, what did he do?
He talked shit to someone else talking shit to him, then his friend got into a fight with one of the shit talkers and was cleared because it was self defense.

Loublaze

ATLien
I like the little ive seen of him. United shouldn't pay over the odds though. 60M seems 'reasonable' in this market for a player like him.

AFC NimbleThumb

We're likely to spend more than what we'd get for Pogba. We've done it multiple times before
Perhaps I need to be more clear.

We will spend money this closed season if we sell Pogba or not but We will not be using the Pogba funds in their entirety on top of those funds.

I hate throwing around figures because the truth is none of us really know what United spend/receive but let’s say we have [random figure] £150mil to spend this closed season, we then sell Pogba for [random figure] £150mil - I don’t see us spending £300mil or anywhere near is my point.

I’m saying the Pogba money isn’t a bonus figure the club will add on top of the funds.

I'll tell you this, we're not Arsenal
Exactly. Which is why whatever we get for Pogba we should be spending in the £100s of millions regardless.

OL29

I didnt say that. You're just making things up.

I said we need to rely on our British core of players while the fancy players are asking for high wages.

I didnt say they are foreign. Although Pogba and De Gea are and they're the next issues we have with contracts after Ander. But it could be Rooney again, and once again we had a British core of players so we would have been fine selling him

Huh??

Ekeke

Yes, 1 out tens of British players asks for loads of money or they might go elsewhere - Rooney and a few others, with tens of other players between them who didnt. And we dont have 1 out of tens of foreign players who want to stick around at United when Madrid and Barcelona etc come for them. I shouldnt need to tell you this

Hal9000

IF he is sold, then they will have to reinvest it. Or they will lose a big slice of sponsorship from missing 2 years of CL football, alongside not having CL TV moola for another year.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm not convinced by him but maybe we can't get those big names after all...

Suv666

£60m for Maddison over £100m for Felix? Are you serious?
I doubt he'd be £60m though probably around £50m. Even if its £60m, I'd rather him over Felix, he looks like a solid player but is so overrated on here its incredible.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Maddison? Another British player we're linked with, not only will he cost a lot but he isn't the required quality we need to bring in.

Oles' fascination with British core will end with him getting the boot by Christmas.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
but he isn't the required quality we need to bring in.
Go and read the Mané thread when we were linked with him before Liverpool. It was full of lines like this

Kush

Go and read the Mané thread when we were linked with him before Liverpool. It was full of lines like this
For 1 Mane you have several Rodwells, Barkleys and Drinkwaters. Notice a common trend? They are all British who tend to get overrated the moment they have a decent season.

Maddison is same, he's a good player but we should aiming to bring a player of higher caliber given the money he'd cost.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If (a big IF) Maddison signs for us, I cannot see him in the same midfield as Pogba and Rabiot (another big If).
So if we get these two I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba will be allowed to leave. (and our friend Raiola will get another fat cheque)
No way will a midfield 3 of Rabiot, Maddison and Pogba work because Rabiot has said he doesn’t want to play DM, and the other 2 would be wasted there.

If we keep Pogba, I think we need to get one of Maddison, Rabiot or Fernandes, plus a defensive centre mid.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
For 1 Mane you have several Rodwells, Barkleys and Drinkwaters. Notice a common trend? They are all British who tend to get overrated the moment they have a decent season.

Maddison is same, he's a good player but we should aiming to bring a player of higher caliber given the money he'd cost.
the rumour is 15m, no?

Mcking

Felix is a far better player. Only factors that i see is in the favour of Maddison is his set pieces (which i agree that we need) and his experience in the league.
Felix ability on the ball, his vision, is defensive contribution etc. Are all better than Maddison.
Maddison is no Lukaku though. I've not watched Felix enough to make a judgement, but if you are able to quantify each those statistically, then Maddison comprehensive obliterates Felix. More dribbles with better success, more passes with better success, better passing range, more key passes, more tackles, more interceptions, and much better at retaining the ball. Felix scores more goals and marginally edges it in terms of through balls.

passing-wind

Maddison? Another British player we're linked with, not only will he cost a lot but he isn't the required quality we need to bring in.

Oles' fascination with British core will end with him getting the boot by Christmas.
I really can't see where your coming from, are any of our midfielders baring Pogba any better than James ? Even in attacking positions does Lingard and co have any bigger influence than him.

I have no idea why our fans dispel players who will genuinely improve our starting 11. We are not a Madrid with genuine quality in every position, we have one of the worst midfields in the league and a disjointed attack full of overrated youngsters.

What we should question is how does Solskjaer intend to use him considering we play with a midfield three, the quality of the player is something that shouldn't be up for debate.

Kush

the rumour is 15m, no?
That is Daniel James, who I have no problem going for.

This is a James Maddison thread, Leicester player who's quoted at £60m.

I really can't see where your coming from, are any of our midfielders baring Pogba any better than James ? Even in attacking positions does Lingard and co have any bigger influence than him.

I have no idea why our fans dispel players who will genuinely improve our starting 11. We are not a Madrid with genuine quality in every position, we have one of the worst midfields in the league and a disjointed attack full of overrated youngsters.

What we should question is how does Solskjaer intend to use him considering we play with a midfield three, the quality of the player is something that shouldn't be up for debate.
Maddison is not a midfielder, he'll occupy the #10 role which Pogba plays in the current side. Unless of course, he is Pogbas' replacement which is just laughable.

If Ole wants to use him as a midfielder then he's even more clueless than I thought.

lcfc fan

Supports
LCFC
Nah you don't want him, he should probably should just stay at Leicester. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.