James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

He does have a point doesn’t he?

He gets abused for being a plonker not because he's Irish.

I don't see other Irish players get abuse. I'm open minded to being proved wrong though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's not being attacked for being Irish. He's being attacked for bowing his head down during God Save the Queen. Other Irish players don't get the abuse he gets. Anyways it's up to the FA to sort it out, but what exactly can they do? Allow him to come only come out onto the pitch once the song is over? I've no idea how you get around this one

Anyways I'm not gonna get into it again. There's some who staunchly defend him on here, and others who despise him. The debate is not worth it.
Isn’t it a bit like Kaepernick taking the knee. James McClean, rightly or wrongly feels that the British have oppressed the Irish, and is exercising his displeasure, as is his right. Are you saying he should keep it shut and get on with it. He’s getting booed and sent all sorts vile messages because he has strong opinions on politics. Other Irish players didn’t get attacked because they kept their mouths shut on the matter.

IrishMcD

I don't see other Irish players get abuse. I'm open minded to being proved wrong though.
The abuse he gets is bigoted, anti irish abuse, not just regular name calling!! I don't racially abuse black players if they are plonkers.

stevoc

Yeah most of the Irish playing in England are good lads who know their place.

But not this uppity paddy, deserves everything he gets for refusing to wear the poppy and bowing his head during a song.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

I guess with that logic you would be fine with someone showing up to Watford games and roar racist abuse at Troy Deeney?

Paxi

He gets abuse because he has an opinion like many others from Derry. English are fine with Irish so long as the politics aren’t brought into it. That’s what it feels like. He’s also thick for the IRA songs and balaclavas etc. Though, I know a lot who ‘joke’ about that stuff. And it’s actually from the both sides to be fair.

Paxi

I guess with that logic you would be fine with someone showing up to Watford games and roar racist abuse at Troy Deeney?
Or Raheem Sterling because he got a tattoo of an assault rifle. I’m not sure being daft qualifies you to receive abhorrent abuse from ‘people’.

arnie_ni

He gets abuse because he has an opinion like many others from Derry. English are fine with Irish so long as the politics aren’t brought into it. That’s what it feels like. He’s also thick for the IRA songs and balaclavas etc. Though, I know a lot who ‘joke’ about that stuff. And it’s actually from the both sides to be fair.
His opinion could be perfectly valid if he expressed it in a Manor that didn't incite other idiots, then round and round we go.

Case in point the balaclava picture above.

My father's a Catholic from derry (60 years old) so I know only to well what McLean believes but he doesn't help himself

IrishMcD

Yeah most of the Irish playing in England are good lads who know their place.

But not this uppity paddy, deserves everything he gets for refusing to wear the poppy and bowing his head during a song.
Well said lad. This is it, isn't it? I agree with him being idiotic at times, but there is no way he should be abused for not wearing a poppy. I wouldn't wear one. I am not anti-English. I do not hate the English. But I respect the history of my country and what members of my family suffered at the hands of the British. The history of the British army in Ireland is a brutal one. You would wonder how many of these intelligent patriots who hurl anti-Irish abuse know anything about the atrocities carried out by the British Army and by the Black and Tans in Ireland. How many of them would even try to understand that point of view. It is sad that people try to excuse anti-irish abuse because the target isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

arnie_ni

Well said lad. This is it, isn't it? I agree with him being idiotic at times, but there is no way he should be abused for not wearing a poppy. I wouldn't wear one. I am not anti-English. I do not hate the English. But I respect the history of my country and what members of my family suffered at the hands of the British. The history of the British army in Ireland is a brutal one. You would wonder how many of these intelligent patriots who hurl anti-Irish abuse know anything about the atrocities carried out by the British Army and by the Black and Tans in Ireland. How many of them would even try to understand that point of view. It is sad that people try to excuse anti-irish abuse because the target isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
They wouldnt have a clue but it wouldn't doesn't matter to them.

They'd abuse anybody for anything they can't find and McLean makes himself an easy target

Bertie Wooster

Loads of famous people (and none famous people) receive nasty personal abuse on social media. Like most things, it can be used for good and bad and there'll always be people who use a potentially good thing with bad intent.

As a society we've got into a position where we're recognising certain abuse (racism, sexism, homophobia) as being unacceptable enough to act upon. However the rest is getting overlooked and dismissed.

There's a lot more personal abuse that should be acted upon. And what's said to James McLean is, I imagine, totally out of order. But he's hardly an innocent victim in it all, unlike a lot of people who get personal abuse having done nothing to inspire it. Whereas McLean is deliberately making very controversial statements and protests about a heated topic, and is receiving heated statements and abuse in return. That's not right from those doing it, but McLean is way down the list when it comes to 'innocent' victims of social media abuse.

arnie_ni

Not what I'm saying at all.

The people in the stands or twitter abusing him are scum. They abuse a coloured player for being black, a gay player for being guy, call a player with big ears dumbo etc etc.

It doesn't matter to them, they'd abuse anyone and everyone they can if they have a chance to and McLean makes himself a target to them.

I've no time for him, I've no time for the

Paxi

His opinion could be perfectly valid if he expressed it in a Manor that didn't incite other idiots, then round and round we go.

Case in point the balaclava picture above.

My father's a Catholic from derry (60 years old) so I know only to well what McLean believes but he doesn't help himself
Therein lies the problem, just because he’s a bit of an idiot, does that mean his point is invalid?

IrishMcD

They wouldnt have a clue but it wouldn't doesn't matter to them.

They'd abuse anybody for anything they can't find and McLean makes himself an easy target
What is it about McClean you dislike? The fact he wont wear a poppy and bows his head for God Save the Queen?

neverdie

He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the FA didn't introduce political statements as acceptable when it suited them for marketing reasons (BLM). As it stands, he can refuse to wear a poppy, bow his head, or go along with whatever political statement is being made, and he's legitimated in doing so. He's an idiot but he's not wrong here.

arnie_ni

Therein lies the problem, just because he’s a bit of an idiot, does that mean his point is invalid?
No necessarily, but how often do you see people just not be heard because of how they go about spreading their message.

It's not a new a concept

IrishMcD

He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the FA didn't introduce political statements as acceptable when it suited them for marketing reasons (BLM). As it stands, he can refuse to wear a poppy, bow his head, or go along with whatever political statement is being made, and he's legitimated in doing so. He's an idiot but he's not wrong here.
And he would be 100% right not to wear a poppy. Anyone without blinkers on, who knows their history, would understand the reasoning behind it. But easier just to abuse him for it

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dislike him. Such an aggressive mouthy mediocrity of a player on the pitch for starters.

arnie_ni

I Wonder how his home schooling is going?

Hopefully not like his previous lessons

What is it about McClean you dislike? The fact he wont wear a poppy and bows his head for God Save the Queen?
Things like this?

Hes not the only player to bow his head or not wear a poppy. Everyone had the right to protest how stand up for what they believe in.

cyberman

Things like this?

Hes not the only player to bow his head or not wear a poppy. Everyone had the right to protest how stand up for what they believe in.
He is allowed to be a republican though

arnie_ni

So justified getting sectarian, bigoted Anti-Irish abuse thrown at him constantly?
Your putting words in people's mouth now. No one said its justified, but it's why it happens.

Your naive to think otherwise.

You'll have a "fan" singing for say Shane Long one week and then abusing McLean the week after, but not because he's Irish per se.

Paxi

No necessarily, but how often do you see people just not be heard because of how they go about spreading their message.

It's not a new a concept
Often. But he clearly feels marginalised, and plenty agree with him. So if we’re going to deal with racism, discrimination et al, then let’s deal with all. I agree with him too. He’s a dick but he doesn’t deserve post cards through the post mocking Bloody Sunday massacre, death threats, so I’d love the footballing authorities try to tackle this issue as well.

He’s allowed to be an opinionated Irish man who happens to be a bit thick without receiving abuse —even it’s daftly presented.

IrishMcD

Things like this?

As I said, the people abusing him for that are scum and would be hurling racist abuse the next week at a black player.
So tell me, what is it about him you dislike. Why is he inviting sectarian and bogoted abuse?
Your putting words in people's mouth now. No one said its justified, but it's why it happens.

Your naive to think otherwise.

You'll have a "fan" singing for say Shane Long one week and then abusing McLean the week after, but not because he's Irish per se.
Yeah ok. Cheering for Rashford one week and racially abusing Sterling the next week. Sound. I get it know.

RUCK4444

Self absorbed feckin idiot.

I can genuinely say I’ve never met a single person who is remotely racist towards Irish people. Just my experience I suppose, but I’m 35 and lived in Britain my whole life. He’s comparing his ‘plight’ to that of minorities who have suffered far worse for generations.

Just feck off and retire from your basic career James, a career in which you are far more known for what’s happened off the pitch than on it.

arnie_ni

Often. But he clearly feels marginalised, and plenty agree with him. So if we’re going to deal with racism, discrimination et al, then let’s deal with all. I agree with him too. He’s a dick but he doesn’t deserve post cards through the post mocking Bloody Sunday massacre, death threats, so I’d love the footballing authorities try to tackle this issue as well.

He’s allowed to be an opinionated Irish man who happens to be a bit thick without receiving abuse —even it’s daftly presented.
And I bet my bottom dollar if it happened to Shane long (using him again) something would be done about it.

I genuinely think no one has the time of day for mclean

arnie_ni

A lot of his abuse is because of his views as a nationlalist. He is allowed to hold those views and shouldn't be racially abused because of it.
Hes not being abused because of it. He's being abused with it but not because of it.

I'll reiterate it doesn't make it right.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If someone calls you a thick Irish cnut, even if you’re a tit, and just because they don’t abuse every other Irish player at the same time, doesn’t make it right.

arnie_ni

So tell me, what is it about him you dislike. Why is he inviting sectarian and bogoted abuse?

Yeah ok. Cheering for Rashford one week and racially abusing Sterling the next week. Sound. I get it know.
Not sure what your saying here, just come out and say it?

IrishMcD

Hes not being abused because of it. He's being abused with it but not because of it.

I'll reiterate it doesn't make it right.
Lad, he is 100% abused because of it!!! He got slaughtered for refusing to wear a poppy and for bowing his head when GSTQ was played. The Daily Rags in the media called him scum for that and he has been talking abuse ever since, stoked by the media every year when its time to wear a poppy. It is the reason he gets abused, it is what he gets abused for and about. I really believe you don't understand the history involved in his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.