James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bloody hell :lol:
Man, I am from NI I am protestant and the vast majority of my friends are catholic, that's the truth, and none of us really give a feck what happened. We rib each other with the usual NI humour. I don't think unless you are from here you can really grasp it, I mean the mentality of it all. We are a shit stain back water compared to most of the UK.

Deery

Dreary
If he hates England so much, why play his trade there? Perfectly good Irish league to play in, I say this knowing how much hate certain Republicans have for the English, yes with good reason, but why even put yourself in such a position if you feel that way?
Even being from Derry myself I’ve often thought this too, he could easily ply his trade in the league of Ireland instead of making a song and dance every year about how he’s persecuted in England.

I know all about Bloody Sunday and the reason he doesn’t want to wear a poppy I’d probably not wear one either, but the attraction of a few million probably is why he’s there. I mean his brother even plays for Glentoran and they’re in the heart of East Belfast surrounded by UDA graffiti, seems a little hypocritical to me sometimes.

stevoc

I don’t think he hates England. I mean he probably has a lot of English friends and team mates. Big difference between not wearing a poppy and having republican views.
A fact that is obviously lost on a lot of people in Britain though.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
If he hates England so much, why play his trade there? Perfectly good Irish league to play in, I say this knowing how much hate certain Republicans have for the English, yes with good reason, but why even put yourself in such a position if you feel that way?
Shocking logic. "If you hate capitalism so much, why do you have an iPhone."

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
That's just silly come on.

diarm

Man, I am from NI I am protestant and the vast majority of my friends are catholic, that's the truth, and none of us really give a feck what happened. We rib each other with the usual NI humour. I don't think unless you are from here you can really grasp it, I mean the mentality of it all. We are a shit stain back water compared to most of the UK.
You are a shit stained backwater because of the UK. Yet you still ask why a professional would want to better their standard of life by moving to England.

It's akin to a white person in 1950s America asking why Rosa Parks would even want to take the bus if nobody wanted her on it and then when called out on it, saying "but I take the bus too so I understand what it's like".

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Even being from Derry myself I’ve often thought this too, he could easily ply his trade in the league of Ireland instead of making a song and dance every year about how he’s persecuted in England.

I know all about Bloody Sunday and the reason he doesn’t want to wear a poppy I’d probably not wear one either, but the attraction of a few million probably is why he’s there. I mean his brother even plays for Glentoran and they’re in the heart of East Belfast surrounded by UDA graffiti, seems a little hypocritical to me sometimes.
I think the same mate, I am from Co Antrim and we all know the biggoty that goes on here, even amongst friends. But if you go to a protestant church for a friend or a catholic mass you have some decorum and bend as that's what friends do. Like I said before, unless you live here you don't quite get it.

stevoc

I'm sure you'll know there aren't many places in Northern Ireland were you aren't confronted with UDA/UVF flags or graffiti. Whether someone is a footballer or a delivery driver you are gong to see that sort of thing.

How exactly is it hypocritical to earn a living?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are a shit stained backwater because of the UK. Yet you still ask why a professional would want to better their standard of life by moving to England.

It's akin to a white person in 1950s America asking why Rosa Parks would even want to take the bus if nobody wanted her on it and then when called out on it, saying "but I take the bus too so I understand what it's like".
I think you miss my point, I have no problem with McLean at all, but he reaps what he sows, surely you get that?

cyberman

That
Thats extremly unfair to be fair. He can be critical of Britains past while still plying his trade.
Thats up there with the America, love it or leave it racist rhetoric from the 90s.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
See, you don't get it. How you say the letter *h* is very divisive here.

That
Thats extremly unfair to be fair. He can be critical of Britains past while still plying his trade.
Thats up there with the America, love it or leave it racist rhetoric from the 90s.
I am being a dab shitty of course, but for me, he does seem to try and attract this spin on himself.

Deery

Dreary
I'm sure you'll know there aren't many places in Northern Ireland were you aren't confronted with UDA/UVF flags or graffiti. Whether someone is a footballer or a delivery driver you are gong to see that sort of thing.

How exactly is it hypocritical to earn a living?
The Newtonards Road is something to behold though, I get your point though it’s all around us I had to live there for a year and couldn’t wait to get home.

Oranges038

I'm sure all the racists online could use try to use a similar excuse. It was 100% unacceptable.

On a separate note, who actually owns a feckin balaclava anyway ffs?
I assume he picked it up for the purpose of the joke.

The only way a racist could use a similar excuse was if they were responding to abuse. Which I don't think a racist could really do.

On the other hand, someone who suffered racial abuse could turn a joke in a similar fashion.

cyberman

See, you don't get it.

I am being a dab shitty of course, but for me, he does seem to try and attract this spin on himself.
Its a chicken and the egg situation imo. I still remember the shit he got for simply switching NI for ROI.
If he is getting abuse he should speak up, I dont think discussions about deserving it or what he attracts is really warranted, it sort of legitimises the abuse if its being weighed.
Again, it is ok to be a republican, thats to be kept in mind.

stevoc

Haver you ever walked down the road and been asked to say the letter H?
My address has a H in it. Been asked to repeat it so someone can confirm they heard right how i said it the first time, more than once over the years in various places, Job interviews, work, Tesco. The lovely lady behind Tesco's click & collect counter was even nice enough to inform me i was pronouncing it wrong. And offered me the chance to spell my address again and say H right this time. I declined.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its a chicken and the egg situation imo. I still remember the shit he got for simply switching NI for ROI.
If he is getting abuse he should speak up, I dont think discussions about deserving it or what he attracts is really warranted, it sort of legitimises the abuse if its being weighed.
Again, it is ok to be a republican, thats to be kept in mind.
Of course its more than ok to be a republican, that not the issue, but being continually obtuse on the matter is going to get the same reaction. Of course its wrong but you can see why the issue is so triggered.

diarm

I won't hold my breath for that education then.

I need to learn to avoid conversations with the types of people who feel the need to jump in every time James McClean gets abused and educate us all on why he deserves it or should just feck off home if he doesn't like it.

It's like playing chess with a pigeon. You can have the best arguments in the world but he's still going to knock over all the pieces, shit all over the board and then strut about the place like he's won.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
My address has a H in it. Been asked to repeat it so someone can confirm they heard right how i said it the first time, more than once over the years in various places, Job interviews, work, Tesco. The lovely lady behind Tesco's click & collect counter was even nice enough to inform me i was pronouncing it wrong. And offered me the chance to spell my address again and say H right this time. I declined.
Its the little things, every little helps. :D

I will be honest, I lived on Sandy Row for 4 years at Uni a life time ago, and for the first month that was a big part. Great people to be honest but they liked knowing who was living with them.

RUCK4444

I think you miss my point, I have no problem with McLean at all, but he reaps what he sows, surely you get that?
No they don't. That's what we've learned here I suppose.
I assume he picked it up for the purpose of the joke.

The only way a racist could use a similar excuse was if they were responding to abuse. Which I don't think a racist could really do.

On the other hand, someone who suffered racial abuse could turn a joke in a similar fashion.
That would be even stranger, I mean to go and premeditatedly pickup a balaclava, casual as feck, then film and post that. Just goes to show that he knew what he was doing and the reality being he probably only offended people who have had nothing to do with him previously.

But of course he should expect no come back on that from the vile world of online trolls.

The shame of it is that there is clearly many (here as well) where the history of this topic cuts deep. What they deserve is somebody better than Mcclean to shed light on it.

RUCK4444

It's like playing chess with a pigeon. You can have the best arguments in the world but he's still going to knock over all the pieces, shit all over the board and then strut about the place like he's won.
I'm only playing if I can be a sheep.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I won't hold my breath for that education then.

I need to learn to avoid conversations with the types of people who feel the need to jump in every time James McClean gets abused and educate us all on why he deserves it or should just feck off home if he doesn't like it.

I am not jumping in, or hating on you. Again I have no hate for Mclean but there is a lot that goes on.

Feck sakes, haven’t heard of that since school. People don’t mention that still, surely?
Still there mate, as well as how far your eyes are spaced together. Again its mostly in jest but a lot depends on where you live, the whole Brexit issue and border down the Irish Sea seems to be stirring things up again. If it wasn't for lockdown I think people would be a lot more vocal. Mostly Unionist/Loyalist unrest.

RUCK4444

You were raised in Britain and have never sought learn about the real history of your country. You've always been a sheep.
I was raised in Wales. I'm not allowed to define my origin now?

Just lump us all in together mate. That's the best way to avoid discrimination and stereotypes... oh wait. Where did you get that education you speak of?

diarm

I am not jumping in, or hating on you. Again I have no hate for Mclean but there is a lot that goes on.
A man who loves telling people they've missed your point as much as you do should really have better levels of basic comprehension.

Who said anything about hating me or James McLean? In the last half hour you have both questioned why McClean chooses to work in England and said that he reaps what he sows. Both points that I mentioned in the post you quoted.

diarm

I was raised in Wales. I'm not allowed to define my origin now?

Just lump us all in together mate. That's the best way to avoid discrimination and stereotypes... oh wait. Where did you get that education you speak of?
Is Wales not in Britain?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Still there mate, as well as how far your eyes are spaced together. Again its mostly in jest but a lot depends on where you live, the whole Brexit issue and border down the Irish Sea seems to be stirring things up again. If it wasn't for lockdown I think people would be a lot more vocal. Mostly Unionist/Loyalist unrest.
I live in a quiet wee village not too far from Maghaberry. People celebrate Paddy’s day down the local and they have the flags up during July holidays. It’s chilled out to be fair. Though I’m always mindful when I’m in Belfast or Lurgan just to be on the safe side. Still some absolute weapons about.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
A man who loves telling people they've missed your point as much as you do should really have better levels of basic comprehension.

Who said anything about hating me or James McLean? In the last half hour you have both questioned why McClean chooses to work in England and said that he reaps what he sows. Both points that I mentioned in the post you quoted.
I don't get why you are so hostile? My point about Mclean was in jest tbh.. where are you from?

diarm

I don't get why you are so hostile? My point about Mclean was in jest tbh.. where are you from?
I'm hostile because you ignored several pages of discussion and leapt in with the same tired, lazy, bigoted shite that's been covered and shown to be wrong countless times, both today and every time this subject comes up.

Don't worry, I'll leave it alone now. I should know better than to expect any different.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I live in a quiet wee village not too far from Maghaberry. People celebrate Paddy’s day down the local and they have the flags up during July holidays. It’s chilled out to be fair. Though I’m always mindful when I’m in Belfast or Lurgan just to be on the safe side. Still some absolute weapons about.
Moria? I am outside Ballymena, and lately I am seeing signs "the Braid will not tolerate a border across the Irish Sea", again we are an odd place.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm hostile because you ignored several pages of discussion and leapt in with the same tired, lazy, bigoted shite that's been covered and shown to be wrong countless times, both today and every time this subject comes up.

Don't worry, I'll leave it alone now. I should know better than to expect any different.
Ok, u seem to be seeing what you want to see.

Champagne Football

Is that a crime?
Not at all but sadly idiots and thugs will use it as tasty ammo to dump their endless hate onto someone. All they need is a whiff of an excuse and McClean gave them what they want in mass doses.

The question is - is there anything else McClean could have done to lessen the hate?
Is there anything the FA could have done to avoid this?

As far as I know, McClean is the first Irish player to bow his head like that, and the FA are probably thinking, the other lads from Derry/Belfast aren't kicking up a fuss..... so ignore his complaints and hopefully this will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.