James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Moria? I am outside Ballymena, and lately I am seeing signs "the Braid will not tolerate a border across the Irish Sea", again we are an odd place.
Aye, mate. You’d struggle to find any nonsense here. At least nowadays.

Paxi

Moria? I am outside Ballymena, and lately I am seeing signs "the Braid will not tolerate a border across the Irish Sea", again we are an odd place.
Oh and who would have thought it, eh?

Paxi

Will be, sooner rather than later.
Will it though? It’s not a loaded question? I’m genuinely curious as I know people whom are unionists that have left the past behind, at least from what I can see, but that may just kick things off again big time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Aye, mate. You’d struggle to find any nonsense here. At least nowadays.
Ha, I am down around you place a lot the wee girl loves the park and wood walk and I like the deli/butcher. You have quality pubs/restaurants down there, well before the COVID.

diarm

If he hates England so much, why play his trade there? Perfectly good Irish league to play in, I say this knowing how much hate certain Republicans have for the English, yes with good reason, but why even put yourself in such a position if you feel that way?
I think you miss my point, I have no problem with McLean at all, but he reaps what he sows, surely you get that?
but for me, he does seem to try and attract this spin on himself.
... seeing what I want to see.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Will it though? It’s not a loaded question? I’m genuinely curious as I know people whom are unionists that have left the past behind, at least from what I can see, but that may just kick things off again big time.
I don't think it will be a unionist/republican choice, Brexit has made the choice, there will either be a hard border on Ireland or along the Irish Sea. The GFA seems to have voided the land border and TBH Boris doesn't care about anything but Little England. That along with the block grant payments/hassle the dissolved parliaments give him I can see exactly why Boris wants to dismantle the UK.

diarm

Shall I just assume Northern Ireland is part of Ireland? Just lump it all together is it? no.
If you like. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

In case I really need to spell it out, my point was that you were educated in Britain and have spent much of this evening on here telling anyone who'll listen that there's no such thing as anti-irish bigotry or racism and that the historical British oppression of Ireland isn't as important or as significant as the oppression of other minorites.

If you want me to draw you a picture connecting the dots let me know.

Paxi

I don't think it will be a unionist/republican choice, Brexit has made the choice, there will either be a hard border on Ireland or along the Irish Sea. The GFA seems to have voided the land border and TBH Boris doesn't care about anything but Little England. That along with the block grant payments/hassle the dissolved parliaments give him I can see exactly why Boris wants to dismantle the UK.
Be that as it may, there are still a small minority of loyalists who wouldn’t have that under any circumstances. And you know yourself what even a small but a very angry, motivated group of people can achieve. So that’s why I don’t see it happening without major problems regardless or Brexit or any other political issues. Not without resumption of violence unfortunately.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We knew that when you didn't bother reading the couple of pages of discussion before flouncing in to tell us all what we were missing.
Man, this is all cause I said I was Protestant, I am no fan of the British dealings in NI, but you failed to heart that. Up to you my friend but no need to be arsey about it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Be that as it may, there are still a small minority of loyalists who wouldn’t have that under any circumstances. And you know yourself what even a small but a very angry, motivated group of people can achieve. So that’s why I don’t see it happening without major problems regardless or Brexit or any other political issues. Not without resumption of violence unfortunately.
Agreed, I think COVID is masking the problem, well that and the utter stupidity of the DUP. In my youth I was a *God and Ulster* man, but now I honestly couldn't care less as long as myself and my family are healthy.

diarm

Because you're a protestant? Feck me but you can't honestly be that dim?

I've literally just quoted the 3 posts that pissed me off. Either engage on the points or don't but leave that shite out of it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Because you're a protestant? Feck me but you can't honestly be that dim?

I've literally just quoted the 3 posts that pissed me off. Either engage on the points or don't but leave that shite out of it.
At least quote me mate. What is your issue with what I said? Sorry I am dim.

Oranges038

No they don't. That's what we've learned here I suppose.

That would be even stranger, I mean to go and premeditatedly pickup a balaclava, casual as feck, then film and post that. Just goes to show that he knew what he was doing and the reality being he probably only offended people who have had nothing to do with him previously.

But of course he should expect no come back on that from the vile world of online trolls.

The shame of it is that there is clearly many (here as well) where the history of this topic cuts deep. What they deserve is somebody better than Mcclean to shed light on it.

The main purpose being giving two fingers to the people who abused him online and in the stands. I doubt he considered what offence it might cause to anyone else.

RUCK4444

If you like. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

In case I really need to spell it out, my point was that you were educated in Britain and have spent much of this evening on here telling anyone who'll listen that there's no such thing as anti-irish bigotry or racism and that the historical British oppression of Ireland isn't as important or as significant as the oppression of other minorites.

If you want me to draw you a picture connecting the dots let me know.
Nobody discriminates Mcclean for being Irish. You rightly or wrongly have a view that there is mass anti-irish bigotry in Britain. I've just never seen it and as you pointed out I've lived here my whole life. Unlike black and ethnic minority groups who I hear having racial discrimination almost daily. Unless you class Paddy jokes as discrimination of course, which is fair.

I mean, if your the one handing out educations, then what reason does your average working class person in mainland Britain have for hating the Irish?

I want to know because I can't fathom how people dislike Mcclean for anything other than his stance on the poppy and the Balaclava incident.

diarm

At least quote me mate. What is your issue with what I said? Sorry I am dim.
Funny that now you're suddenly paying heed to what I quote. 5 minutes earlier you were ignoring the posts I quoted and calling me a bigot instead.

A 30 second glance through the couple of pages you ignored before posting tonight would've seen your first bullshit point made and refuted twice or three times.

Oranges038

That last bit, these are maybe not down to it being an odd place, but they are a couple of things I've experienced that I remember as being oddly funny.

Once time in Markethill there was a guy sitting at a junction with a bag of cans, it appeared he was just there drinking and giving two fingers to the cars with ROI plates.

Also a friend of mine used to have an orange van, we used to go down to Newry and Banbridge a fair bit. The van would regularly receive beeps and waves from other cars etc..

All harmless fun.

diarm

Nobody discriminates Mcclean for being Irish. You rightly or wrongly have a view that there is mass anti-irish bigotry in Britain. I've just never seen it and as you pointed out I've lived here my whole life. Unlike black and ethnic minority groups who I hear having racial discrimination almost daily. Unless you class Paddy jokes as discrimination of course, which is fair.

I mean, if your the one handing out educations, then what reason does your average working class person in mainland Britain have for hating the Irish?

I want to know because I can't fathom how people dislike Mcclean for anything other than his stance on the poppy and the Balaclava incident.
It's difficult to hear and see things when you're standing in front of the people telling you about them with your fingers in your ears shouting about how they don't exist.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That last bit, these are maybe not down to it being an odd place, but they are a couple of things I've experienced that I remember as being oddly funny.

Once time in Markethill there was a guy sitting at a junction with a bag of cans, it appeared he was just there drinking and giving two fingers to the cars with ROI plates.

Also a friend of mine used to have an orange van, we used to go down to Newry and Banbridge a fair bit. The van would regularly receive beeps and waves from other cars etc..

All harmless fun.
That's the humour of this place :D.

Funny that now you're suddenly paying heed to what I quote. 5 minutes earlier you were ignoring the posts I quoted and calling me a bigot instead.

A 30 second glance through the couple of pages you ignored before posting tonight would've seen your first bullshit point made and refuted twice or three times.
Ok :lol:.

RUCK4444

It's difficult to hear and see things when you're standing in front of the people telling you about them with your fingers in your ears shouting about how they don't exist.
It's also hard to be constructive when your entrenched in a narrative and overtly willing to force others who don't share your exact opinion into said narrative.

stevoc

What reason do they have for hating anyone who isn't from Britain?

And yet racism and xenophobia do still exist in Britain.

FYI mate just because you've never personally witnessed anti Irish abuse in Britain doesn't mean it hasn't and doesn't still happen.

RUCK4444

What reason do they have for hating anyone who isn't from Britain?

And yet racism and xenophobia do still exist in Britain.

FYI mate just because you've never personally witnessed anti Irish abuse in Britain doesn't mean it hasn't and doesn't still happen.
Perhaps it's an English thing. I've never experienced it in Wales, in fact the exact opposite. I would honestly say with conviction that the Welsh like the Irish more than any of our neighbours. They go mad for St Paddy's day and everything Irish, the Rugby games are always the best between the nations and the fans all have a good day out together, there never seems an ounce of animosity towards them, never.

But alas @diarm has deemed that as purposeful ignorance on my part.

POF

He's not being attacked for being Irish.
Nobody discriminates Mcclean for being Irish.
That's completely irrelevant. It's the language in the abuse, not the reason that's important. That's what has been established.

For example, Tuanzebe was racially abused online because in the eyes of the abuser he cost his team a goal. It doesn't make it alright just because Pogba didn't get racially abused too.

The abuse McClean gets is anti-Irish and it's as discriminatory as the racist abuse being highlighted currently. That's his point and he's absolutely right.

diarm

I'm done. You can't debate subjects like this with people who are dishonest in their arguments and wilfully ignorant of the issues at hand.

Just goes to prove once more how effective the British model of oppression and selective education is. When you can't bully and murder, just bluff and annoy people into submission.

RUCK4444

That's completely irrelevant. It's the language in the abuse, not the reason that's important. That's what has been established.

For example, Tuanzebe was racially abused online because in the eyes of the abuser he cost his team a goal. It doesn't make it alright just because Pogba didn't get racially abused too.

The abuse McClean gets is anti-Irish and it's as discriminatory as the racist abuse being highlighted currently. That's his point and he's absolutely right.
Yes giving away a free kick is the same as dressing up with a balaclava to intentionally upset people. The two are one and the same.

And around and around we go.

POF

Yes giving away a free kick is the same as dressing up with a balaclava to intentionally upset people. The two are one and the same.

And around and around we go.
It's not the same. It's irrelevant.

It's the type of abuse that is important, not the reason for it.

stevoc

Perhaps it's an English thing. I've never experienced it in Wales, in fact the exact opposite. I would honestly say with conviction that the Welsh like the Irish more than any of our neighbours. They go mad for St Paddy's day and everything Irish, the Rugby games are always the best between the nations and the fans all have a good day out together, there never seems an ounce of animosity towards them, never.

But alas @diarm has deemed that as purposeful ignorance on my part.
Well being in Wales might explain it mate i couldn't say as I've only ever passed through.

But I lived in England for most of my teenage years in the 90's and experienced some abuse from time to time.

My dad and uncles worked in England during the 70's-90's and experienced some really bad shit going off the stories they told. I've loads of family there still and they say its definitely got better over the last 20 years
but still rears its head every once in a while.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's a good lad as well. Done his fair bit trying to help folk out. But that not what folk like to see
Yup. I agree.
He's had a solid career in football yet all people will remember him for is the guy who refused to wear a poppy.
It's a shame that this feeling towards Irish people still seems to exist in English society.

arnie_ni

The picture was posted as a joke in response to all the abuse he was being subjected to. The only ones offended were those who could give the abuse but couldn't take a joke.
It was distasteful at best. It was outright insulting to many many people.

It was rightly criticised.

Champagne Football

Beckham got severe personal abuse for the red card against Argentina....from English fans.

Rival fans will latch onto anything they can to try and find a way to destroy someone with insults. It has always been that way.

In regard to racism, more needs to be done. But how does twitter stop people setting up fake accounts so that they can racially abuse others? How can the FA stop a section of fans from most clubs in the country singing hateful racist songs about rival players they hate?

Yup. I agree.
He's had a solid career in football yet all people will remember him for is the guy who refused to wear a poppy.
It's a shame that this feeling towards Irish people still seems to exist in English society.
nothing like drawing massive conclusions and making big generalisations...

RUCK4444

Well being in Wales might explain it mate i couldn't say as I've only ever passed through.

But I lived in England for most of my teenage years in the 90's and experienced some abuse from time to time.

My dad and uncles worked in England during the 70's-90's and experienced some really bad shit going off the stories they told. I've loads of family there still and they say its definitely got better over the last 20 years
but still rears its head every once in a while.
Sorry to hear that, it could also be a generational thing as well then, as generally tends to be the case with racism, older generations holding onto negative stereotypes.

Its genuinely not something I’ve come across but none of it is acceptable.

Social media has to change, but so much of it is based in anonymity. I’m not a fan of social media in general, this place is the closest thing to it for me. No Facebook, Twitter etc.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
nothing like drawing massive conclusions and making big generalisations...
Making generalisations such as there is still a stereotyping of Irish people in English society?? Hardly a generalisation when it's true.
And what is McClean most famous for in England if not his stance on the poppy?
Every year there's a clamour in the press to string him up for refusing to wear one on his shirt, hell this thread only gets bumped every November or when he has a political view.

Red_toad

Sorry to hear that, it could also be a generational thing as well then, as generally tends to be the case with racism, older generations holding onto negative stereotypes.

Its genuinely not something I’ve come across but none of it is acceptable.

Social media has to change, but so much of it is based in anonymity. I’m not a fan of social media in general, this place is the closest thing to it for me. No Facebook, Twitter etc.
Ageism is generally something the younger generations hold onto until they age, then they find out that they're being labeled and discriminated against for a purely natural event.

POF

Beckham got severe personal abuse for the red card against Argentina....from English fans.

Rival fans will latch onto anything they can to try and find a way to destroy someone with insults. It has always been that way.

In regard to racism, more needs to be done. But how does twitter stop people setting up fake accounts so that they can racially abuse others? How can the FA stop a section of fans from most clubs in the country singing hateful racist songs about rival players they hate?
I agree. It's a difficult problem but at least it's one that is front and centre in public discussion now.

McClean's point is that it was happening to him for years and nobody gave a crap. "He brought it on himself" is as irrelevant for McClean as it would be if someone said it about Tuanzebe.

Discriminatory abuse is wrong. But now, there's discrimination over which type of discrimination is more important!!!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

All harmless fun.
Was it also funny seeing a Sinn Fien member posting a picture on Twitter with a Kingsmill loaf on his head and grinning? It’s fine lines here but most generally understand the limits. In the public eye you are going to draw more attention and should be sensible. Some of my friends calling me SS RUC won’t draw the same histeria and it’s a chuckle, would I post it opening of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.