James Robson: Man Utd have left Ole with a bloated & imbalanced squad wasting over £1m p/w in wages

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
£4m was reported to be shared among the squad for winning the league.
I can't believe they're spending £41m a year extra on their squad personally

Hughes35

Still have Romero and Jones to go, then the clear-out will be complete.

Kinda crazy to think how much deadwood we had/have:

Romero

Young
Smalling
Rojo
Darmian

Fellaini
Jones

Sanchez
Lukaku
Depay

Can make a bloody full team of them.
Still not even done with them gone. Add Mata & Matic. You could argue De Gea too..... Also need buyers for Pereira, Dalot and Lingard.

Crazy how bad our squad was.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fun fact - Rashford has played 40 more games for United than Phil Jones.

He made his debut 5 years after him.
He’s also our 13th highest goal scorer of all time, just ahead of David Beckham and Eric Cantona.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not sure where else to put this.

Yeah, I was so surprised when I've read at the Athletic that Liverpool has the second highest wage budget in the league! Good for us.

Mainoldo

Yeah, I was so surprised when I've read at the Athletic that Liverpool has the second highest wage budget in the league! Good for us.
Includes bonuses.. they’ve been very successful so they have got payed more. This season that would be a lot less.

dove

Did we reduce our wage bill or others caught up? If it's the former then I don't see a reason to be excited about as it will only benefit the Glazers, none of the money saved will be reinvested into the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So if that only increased £16m they were already the 2nd highest payers?

No wonder they wanted to put their squad on furlough!
It was us before they took the lead. And if they miss out on the UCL this season, it's being suggested that it will set them back 3 years. A lot of their income in the last 3 years has come from participating in the UCL and player sales. And when you factor in the losses during the pandemic, then it's easy to see why many would come to that conclusion.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We are very reluctant to lose anyone on a free, even when it’s cutting our nose off to spite our own face. We are never going to get a transfer fee for a player like Phil Jones or Juan Mata, yet we give them anew deal when they aren’t in the managers plans & just waste money.

With Bailly, I think he’s a decent player, but given his fitness record it’s a questionable move. I do think we would be able to get about £15m for him though if we do intend to sell him. It’s certainly not the worst renewal we’ve made in the last few years.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Still not even done with them gone. Add Mata & Matic. You could argue De Gea too..... Also need buyers for Pereira, Dalot and Lingard.

I think you are wrong about Mata and Matic being deadwood. They both have performed pretty well for United in the past. I agree that both are NOW surplus to requirements, but to place them in that group mentioned is a bit ott. De Gea has been brilliant for us, and yes, probably needs to go as Henderson looks like number one now, Pereira and Dalot were young players trying to make their way, but unfortunately Pereira never really looked the part, Dalot also disappointed on the few occasions he played, Lingard was a decent player for us, but definitely struggled these past couple of seasons.
So our squad, on the whole, has been decent, but I agree that all those players you mentioned need to be sold. I would also add Chong in on that list, great talent, but seems to struggle in the men's game, perhaps he will come good later, but we can't afford to wait for that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was us before they took the lead. And if they miss out on the UCL this season, it's being suggested that it will set them back 3 years. A lot of their income in the last 3 years has come from participating in the UCL and player sales. And when you factor in the losses during the pandemic, then it's easy to see why many would come to that conclusion.
Reading that thread it seems their wage figures are definitely ballooned by recent CL and PL victories, so yes the figure should drop a lot next year. I'd be amazed if there base salaries aren't very similar to ours if not a little less.

These accounts are also for 19/20 so we didn't have the CL either. I expect our wages to inflate by a fair bit for this years end.

Who would be their highest earner?

Last edited:

Player Red

We are very reluctant to lose anyone on a free, even when it’s cutting our nose off to spite our own face. We are never going to get a transfer fee for a player like Phil Jones or Juan Mata, yet we give them anew deal when they aren’t in the managers plans & just waste money.

With Bailly, I think he’s a decent player, but given his fitness record it’s a questionable move. I do think we would be able to get about £15m for him though if we do intend to sell him. It’s certainly not the worst renewal we’ve made in the last few years.
And then often we just release them from their contract to move to a new club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Man City £351m Liverpool £325m Man Utd £284m Chelsea £283m Arsenal £225m Spurs £181m

Arsenal really aren't getting bang for buck are they :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Includes bonuses.. they’ve been very successful so they have got payed more. This season that would be a lot less.
According to reports their players received a £4m shared bonus for winning the league and a £7m shared bonus for winning the UCL, which totals £11m in seperate seasons. Alexis Sanchez alone was eating up almost £20m a year, and getting him off the books, along with Ashley Young (£110k a week), Darmian (£70k a week) and Lukaku (£250k a week), meant we wiped between £40m to £50m a year off our wage bill. Whilst we went down Liverpool's wage bill went up by 16%.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Fun fact - Rashford has played 40 more games for United than Phil Jones.

He made his debut 5 years after him.
Strangely enough, the thing I find weirdest about that is that the gap is only 5 years. It still feels like Rashford only just burst on to the scene. And it certainly feels like Jones has been here forever.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Reading that thread it seems their wage figures are definitely ballooned by recent CL and PL victories, so yes the figure should drop a lot next year. I'd be amazed if there base salaries aren't very similar to ours if not a little less.

These accounts are also for 19/20 so we didn't have the CL either. I expect our wages to inflate by a fair bit for this years end.

Who would be their highest earner?
Their highest earner is Salah according to reports. But their financial results which have been explained superbly well by Swiss Ramble, show that their wage bill is high, which is in contrast to what's been reported in the media in the last 12 months. It seems their journos have been doing a great job when it comes to the PR aspect of the club with the likes of Melissa Reddy, Maddock and Pearce doing a splendid job to portray a narrative likely pushed by the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Their highest earner is Salah according to reports. But their financial results which have been explained superbly well by Swiss Ramble, show that their wage bill is high, which is in contrast to what's been reported in the media in the last 12 months. It seems their journos have been doing a great job when it comes to the PR aspect of the club with the likes of Melissa Reddy, Maddock and Pearce doing a splendid job to portray a narrative likely pushed by the club.
For anyone who spent bit of time to do basic research it was obvious that Liverpool journalists did a great PR job when it comes to reporting wages.

When they signed Salah, it was reported he earns around 80K per week, when he was earning more than 100K at Roma. For TAA when he played few games, he signed new contract, report was "TAA would earn at least 40K" which means the minimum wage he earns is 40K and then will earn more with bonuses. When Brandon Williams signed contract the report was "Williams will earn upto 65K per week" which means the max he will earn is 65K if he achieves all possible bonuses.

Then you see people mindlessly going with "Brandon Williams earns more than TAA"

There is a clear difference in how wages are reported, for one club basic wages are reported and for other wages are reported including all possible bonuses.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For anyone who spent bit of time to do basic research it was obvious that Liverpool journalists did a great PR job when it comes to reporting wages.

When they signed Salah, it was reported he earns around 80K per week, when he was earning more than 100K at Roma. For TAA when he played few games, he signed new contract, report was "TAA would earn at least 40K" which means the minimum wage he earns is 40K and then will earn more with bonuses. When Brandon Williams signed contract the report was "Williams will earn upto 65K per week" which means the max he will earn is 65K if he achieves all possible bonuses.

Then you see people mindlessly going with "Brandon Williams earns more than TAA"

There is a clear difference in how wages are reported, for one club basic wages are reported and for other wages are reported including all possible bonuses.
Excellent post.

Hughes35

I think you are wrong about Mata and Matic being deadwood. They both have performed pretty well for United in the past. I agree that both are NOW surplus to requirements, but to place them in that group mentioned is a bit ott. De Gea has been brilliant for us, and yes, probably needs to go as Henderson looks like number one now, Pereira and Dalot were young players trying to make their way, but unfortunately Pereira never really looked the part, Dalot also disappointed on the few occasions he played, Lingard was a decent player for us, but definitely struggled these past couple of seasons.
So our squad, on the whole, has been decent, but I agree that all those players you mentioned need to be sold. I would also add Chong in on that list, great talent, but seems to struggle in the men's game, perhaps he will come good later, but we can't afford to wait for that.
Nothing against Mata and Matic 5 years ago. They are now deadwood though. Have been for a year IMO.

I actually trust Ole and his squad management though.

Lastwolf

I saw this even yesterday, people claiming Phil Jones is on 120k a week, any report I could find was 70-75k, as he took a paycut with his extension.

DULLAGHAN

I really don't understand how Mata constantly gets chucked in the "deadwood" category. He should be used so much more in those games against teams intent on defending, his movement and passing is still top class and his attitude is fantastic. He probably won't beat your granny in a 100m sprint but it's better than having the moving statues we regularly have at 0-0 with 10 mins to go. So often Bruno or Cavani are desperate for someone else on their wavelength against those low block defenses and mata could be key in those situations.

Infra-red

Did we reduce our wage bill or others caught up? If it's the former then I don't see a reason to be excited about as it will only benefit the Glazers, none of the money saved will be reinvested into the club.
We got some players off the books and had a significant reduction in salaries across the board due to non-participation in the Champions League in 2019/20.

Our wage bill will be higher this financial year than last year (because we are back in the CL). This is already reflected in the accounts - our Q2 (three months ending 31 December 2020) wage bill was £81.7m, which is a 15.2% increase compared to the same quarter last year.

Ludens the Red

Still have Romero and Jones to go, then the clear-out will be complete.

Kinda crazy to think how much deadwood we had/have:

Romero

Young
Smalling
Rojo
Darmian

Fellaini
Jones

Sanchez
Lukaku

Depay

Can make a bloody full team of them.
About to win Serie A the bolded. Somehow. They’ve actually contributed too. I swear every week I look at inter score Darmian scores a winner or assists a winner.

BorisManUtd

We're probably going to extend Mata's contract for another year, which is fine by me, he clearly has positive influence in the dressing room and believe he'll be made club ambassador when he retires. Matić can be useful from time to time as well.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Jones, Pereira and Dalot, don't think we have any other players you could classify as 'deadwood' other than them. I'm happy for Alexis and co. doing well in Inter and Serie A generally but thankful we got rid of them, it sadly never worked out for them at United.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

laughtersassassin

Liverpool and City have higher wages.

Our turnover is greater. Another excuse gone but I'm sure it will still be peddled about

EliotTheRed

Grealish 200k
Rashford 300k
Greenwood 150k
Cavani 250k
Kane 300k
Dilalo 100k
Bruno 300k

Maguire 150k
Shaw 150k

henderson 150k

Ole 350k

If we get Kane and Grealish or someone of their profile this is how I see the wage bill in 1-2 years

£2.2 million a week or £110 million a year on our core group and we probably double that for everyone else’s wages.

£250 million a year is thus manageable which is where I see us heading.

Thing is this will inevitably go up as it always does but turnover must aswell.

We need to keep it at 55 percent of turnover.

To keep football sustainable there needs to be regulatory change at government level to ensure FairPlay however a balance where new owners can come in and inject sensible capital.

I truly believe though there’s always a way around it, I mean why does a Man City player never want to leave? They must be getting a lot more money through other “legitimate” means.
What is this?

tomaldinho1

Liverpool and City have higher wages.

Our turnover is greater. Another excuse gone but I'm sure it will still be peddled about
Glazers are 'good' businessmen and I'm sure if you look at turnover to wages, we'd be top of the pile for being efficient with costs. As with a lot of the data we see, it' hard to really draw any conclusions from the graphic because those numbers for Pool will be hugely inflated from trophy bonuses - will be interesting to see them next season after they miss out (hopefully) on CL football.

3KDré

He deserves credit but at the same time, all the players who have been offloaded were easy to do so tbh. Still neither Mata nor Jones should still be at the club
Also deserves credit for replacing them well. LVG gutted our squad, got rid of players like Evans and replaced them with Tyler Blackett and Paddy McNair.

hobbers

Worth remembering that Romero, Jones, Dalot, Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Matic and Chong all still technically on the books.

Mihai

Man City £351m Liverpool £325m Man Utd £284m Chelsea £283m Arsenal £225m Spurs £181m

Arsenal really aren't getting bang for buck are they :lol:
It looks like Arsenal are getting banged for buck.

Brightonian

There's a balance between wanting rid of the likes of Romero and Jones as quickly and efficiently as possible and the FM-generation zealots on here who act as if the fact that Matic and Mata are currently on our books indicates an unhealthy squad. You cannot have a squad of 19 superstars and no-one else. There will always be youngsters on the fringes hoping for a break, oldies on their way out but still with something to contribute over the coarse of a season, players on the fringes who have the potential to break back in and in the meantime cover you against injury and burnout.

You replace the likes of Mata and Matic with quality players, then sell them. You don't just ship them out as quickly as possible as 'dead wood'. That's what Liverpool did with Lovren and it effectively derailed their entire season.

BFernandes

No-one will ever convince me that Woodward has been anything other than a complete disaster since he joined the club, even on the commercial side.

I see a lot of people saying we should have brought in someone on the footballing side and let him concentrate on the business side of things where people seem to believe he excels. What kind of savvy businessman lets a £35-40 million player in Herrera walk out of the door for nothing, whilst protecting the value of players like Jones and Pereira by offering them long contracts on huge money, who are then a nightmare to shift? Then there's the Sanchez debacle. On such huge money when he first joined, we actually had to pay him to NOT play for us in the end. This is all done under his watch.

We've also now got an issue with De Gea on £350,000 a week or whatever it is, who will be utterly impossible to shift.

Any CEO worth their salt would be able to bring in the kind of sponsorship deals he has brought to the club. That should be a given. What shoudn't be accepted though is the sheer disgusting amount of money haemorrhaged by the club because of deals that he himself has signed off on and we still continue to pay for.

bsCallout

No-one will ever convince me that Woodward has been anything other than a complete disaster since he joined the club, even on the commercial side.

I see a lot of people saying we should have brought in someone on the footballing side and let him concentrate on the business side of things where people seem to believe he excels. What kind of savvy business man lets a £35-40 million player in Herrera walk out of the door for nothing, whilst protecting the value of players like Jones and Pereira by offering them long contracts on huge money, who are then a nightmare to shift? Then there's the Sanchez debacle. On such huge money when he first joined, we actually had to pay him to NOT play for us in the end. This is all done under his watch.

We've also now got an issue with De Gea on £350,000 a week or whatever it is, who will be utterly impossible to shift.

Any CEO worth their salt would be able to bring in the kind of sponsorship deals he has brought to the club. That should be a given. What shoudn't be accepted though is the sheer disgusting amount of money haemorrhaged by the club because of deals that he himself has signed off on and we still continue to pay for.
De Gea will go anywhere that will start him. Not sure why anyone thinks a 30yo GK is just going to sit on our bench, especially when he wants to be closer to family.

Giggsy13

Pretty horrible squad management by the scousers. Remember all the shit we had to hear when United had a high wage bill and were finishing 6th? I’d say there is far more deadweight in their squad than ours at the moment. Keita, Shaqiri, AOC, Origi to name a few.

BFernandes

De Gea will go anywhere that will start him. Not sure why anyone thinks a 30yo GK is just going to sit on our bench, especially when he wants to be closer to family.
Or more likely, we'll have to pay a percentage of the players wages when he does leave because no other team will come close to what he's currently earning.

Dante

Average bang

Academy products shouldn't be considered deadwood. Sellable, yes. But only because we've produced them from out of nothing.