• No

Votes: 565 48.4%
  • I hate Silly Season

Votes: 198 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AXVnee7

Usually when money goes on something( eg a horse)the more money goes on the more the odds shorten(eg.7/1 into 5/1- For every 1 gambler put on you get 5 plus your original stake).

So in this case if a lot of money went on James to Utd the bookies might decide it's in their best interest to close the betting if it looks likely they would likely lose money.

I don't think it means that much here though, just bookies playing it safe.
Ah I see cheers. So just a lot of people naively reading the media reports and betting accordingly then.

I guess we'll have to see what unfolds.

Eugen Hume

Could this be a gesture of goodwill from Real?. As in: "You have first dibs at James, we're even willing to let you have him on the cheap, but let De Gea go or leave Mbappé alone this summer so we can sign him after next season." Or some other catch like that...

I don't see us really being in for him but if it's a Jose target then I'll trust his judgement.

Sparky10Legend

Could this be a gesture of goodwill from Real?. As in: "You have first dibs at James, we're even willing to let you have him on the cheap, but let De Gea go or leave Mbappé alone this summer so we can sign him after next season." Or some other catch like that...

I don't see us really being in for him but if it's a Jose target then I'll trust his judgement.
No, in my opinion deals involving this much money have no catches.

DDG goes to them is one deal, James to us another altogether. No joint discussions etc etc.

Sheldon69

I've not seen much of James as I'd like but in a nut shell were getting a player around the 50m Euro mark that cant get into madrids starting 11 and is second choice behind Isco to come off the bench.

Probably in return Madrid will be getting the best goalkeeper in the world for roughly the same price and we're being quoted more than we're selling de gea for if we want to sign someone like oblak to replace de gea !!

Shagged with our pants on again !

redsunited

It could be arsenal or psg as well. Rumours were solid for pedro and otamendi too. &75 m for a player who wont contribute more than 10 - 12 goals is madness.
He is worth 50m. Nothing more than that. We often overpay but definitely not 75m if at all we buy him.

prtk0811

He is worth 50m. Nothing more than that. We often overpay but definitely not 75m if at all we buy him.
Sanchez is worth spending the money on, not james. Arsenal would resist but since he got just a year we should try him.

Hawks2008

This pace obsession symbolises all that is wrong with English football in my opinion. All anyone cares about, no matter what the position is. 'How Fast can they run?'.
Nah he's way too slow and pace is clearly the most important thing ever. Lets just sign Musa, Adama Traore and Matt Phillips, then we'll win the league.
I totally agree with you

prtk0811

You want to convert Modric to a DLP in front of defence at the end of his career, so that you can replace one senior citizen with another? surely you must be joking.
No, modric is good enough to do that and replacing him with carrick for few seasons makes sense because there isno other young midfeilder as good as him in prime and gettable. Madrid dont keep older players so he must be on the market sooner than you think. Bayern or Juventus would waste no time if that was the case , We could act earlier. Till then weighls and new midfeilders will emerge.

Pogba is not an accomplished midfeilder yet, We have to build a side capable of wining the cl as well as pl.

redsunited

Sanchez is worth spending the money on, not james. Arsenal would resist but since he got just a year we should try him.
I would spend 5m+ on top for Sanchez with one year left. Sanchez will be the signing of the summer if he moves to another PL club. This news seems drumming up interest by using United's name. We may eventually buy James if we don't find other targets. United announcing him by the end of the week seems bs.

Last edited:

prtk0811

Nah he's way too slow and pace is clearly the most important thing ever. Lets just sign Musa, Adama Traore and Matt Phillips, then we'll win the league.
I totally agree with you
Sir alex ferguson signed antonio valencia, and he owned best lb's left right and centre and now owning wingers. Someone like brumafrom galatasray would be great.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wonder if we could get James or Alli at about the same value, who will most people prefer?

Infra-red

I totally agree with you
As has been said before, those worried about pace consider it a necessary but not sufficient attribute for a top attacking player. Musa, Traore and Phillips are therefore not relevant examples. To counter their argument you need to some up with a list of world-class attacking players with little-to-no pace or dribbling ability...

el3mel

Wonder if we could get James or Alli at about the same value, who will most people prefer?
Alli will be +90m, 90m looks even cheap, I think it'll be +100m.

Of course I will take Alli but James is cheaper and will do the job.

redsunited

Most likely that his agent doesn't want to keep his bum for next season in real's bench as his value will go to rock bottom. Hence he started his work early to drum up interest from clubs like Chelsea.

prtk0811

I would spend 5m+ on top for Sanchez with one year left. Sanchez will be the signing of the summer if he moves to another PL club. This news seems drumming up interest by using United's name. We may eventually buy James if we don't find other targets. United announcing him by the end of the week seems bs.
I strongly think james could be lured by arsenal and london. If wengers stays he need a reason to exite the fans .

redsunited

I strongly think james could be lured by arsenal and london. If wengers stays he need a reason to exite the fans .
Do arsenal have any of Mendes clients? His agent will try to sell him to clubs who pays big wages. This transfer has potential to go to the end of the summer and real accepting cut price bid from a club. As though clubs queuing up to sign him before the season ends reeks bs.

Hawks2008

I don't hate the idea of him joining us, just worried that it would mean we're giving up on Greizman, Bale.
Tbh Bale breaks down too often anyway, and in less minutes this season James has contributed more goals + assists.

bucky

For what it's worth, I think it's more likely that Madrid are trying to create a bigger interest, thus increasing his fee and selling him to Munich than that he's actually coming to us.

prtk0811

Tbh Bale breaks down too often anyway, and in less minutes this season James has contributed more goals + assists.
But they occupy different areas of the pitch, We need to fill a spot in the area bale occupies.

redsunited

Means nothing. Mostly played against weak teams in rotation. Bale may had a poor season, still he is a player in a different level and will fit premier league perfectly if his injuries are managed.
I am not against James transfer. If a player like Griezmann or Bale is available. They should be the priority. If we miss out on them then we can buy James.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

No, modric is good enough to do that and replacing him with carrick for few seasons makes sense because there isno other young midfeilder as good as him in prime and gettable. Madrid dont keep older players so he must be on the market sooner than you think. Bayern or Juventus would waste no time if that was the case , We could act earlier. Till then weighls and new midfeilders will emerge.

Pogba is not an accomplished midfeilder yet, We have to build a side capable of wining the cl as well as pl.
Madrid are already managing his minutes (<40 games a season for the past 2yrs) to prolong him in la liga and you want him to come to EPL, where there are more games and is physically more demanding, and still give you 2 seasons as a starter? He definitely cannot cope with the physical demands needed to do so. Bayern and Juve play in a slower leagues, so yes an old man can still perform for them.

You are the same guy that accuses Mourinho of playing Pogba out position but now want us to buy an aged Modric to play him out of position late in his career. His mobility and acceleration are a big part of his current role, and his passing range is not wide enough to be a DLP. So he will need at least a season to settle into such a new role. He is simply not worth it.

Modric is past his prime and unless he is available for free and ready to be coming off the bench, he is not worth the risk.

Also we dont need a DLP. Pogba is the playmaker, for better or worse. He has the ability and has shown it this season. what Pogba needs is a solid DM with decent abilities on the ball. That covers up his defensive shortcomings and gives him more offensive freedom.

Even if you want a playmaker, there are better options like Veratti or younger ones like Weigl or Paredes.

We should be assembling the core of our team that will last for the next 3-5 seasons, not inheriting other clubs retirees.

cheeky_backheel

Means nothing. Mostly played against weak teams in rotation. Bale may had a poor season, still he is a player in a different level and will fit premier league perfectly if his injuries are managed.
and how well have we been managing Jones injury?

I have never liked the idea of buying an injury prone player, no matter how talented.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As has been said before, those worried about pace consider it a necessary but not sufficient attribute for a top attacking player. Musa, Traore and Phillips are therefore not relevant examples. To counter their argument you need to some up with a list of world-class attacking players with little-to-no pace or dribbling ability...
You can't just add 'or dribbling ability', it's a totally different argument. Some don't want Bernardo, for instance, because he's not fast enough - others have countered that he's a great dribbler.

James can dribble, pass, and score at a high level. He has a brain. It is often those who don't who simply just try to 'run away from people'.

Pace is great, but it has been used as a cheat code in English football for years to often escape technical and tactical development.

Infra-red

You can't just add 'or dribbling ability', it's a totally different argument. Some don't want Bernardo, for instance, because he's not fast enough - others have countered that he's a great dribbler.

James can dribble, pass, and score at a high level. He has a brain. It is often those who don't who simply just try to 'run away from people'.

Pace is great, but it has been used as a cheat code in English football for years to often escape technical and tactical development.
The ability to 'beat a man' seems to go hand-in-hand with the most commonly expressed concerns about 'pace' on this forum, which is why I mentioned it. I'd also argue that tactical and technical development in England has suffered more because of a preference for physicality rather than out-right pace, but that's a different topic altogether. Back to the list, world class attacking players with little-to-no pace. Care to venture any? In the past 12 months you might include larger #9s like Ibrahimovic and Dzeko and in terms of attacking midfielders... perhaps Eriksen.

Mainoldo

Or the reverse. Just because they are fast doesn't mean they lack the other two.

Janson

I don't expect us to play like Juve, nor would i want us to. The point i was making was that without being blessed with numerous pacy players, Juve stiill managed to nullify Monaco's pace. Yet, ironically it was the speed of Juve's passing in the final third (not their players) that undid Monaco's defence. Pace within a team is important, but nowhere near as important as the speed of thought or the speed of passing. That is where we fall down in my view, our play is far too pedestrian and predictable at times. We simply need to deliver the ball quicker and with more quality to better utilize the pace we already have. Adding even more pace won't solve that problem, but better service certainly could.
This is spot on, although there are other things that are equally important. Speed of thought is one thing but you need the intelligence, understanding and reading of the game. Then you need the technique to execute the passes(also the reciever has to have a good first touch to give himself more time until the defender arrives and get more time to think about and execute his next move) and on top of that you also need to have the ability to stay calm when on the ball and under pressure to be able to think clearly. If you get nervous, that compromises your decisionmaking. Then there's positioning, timing of runs, hold up play to make time for the runners to get upfield, and so on.

I remember when I was younger playing basketball. I used to be great in training but in actual games I used to get so nervous that I couldn't do anything right. When I got the ball I just got tunel vision and couldn't see who I should pass to, just running towards the basket. It has happened at times that I was so nervous, I was running out of bounds asking for the ball.:) Once I got older it got better through experience.

There are so many important qualities you need as a football player. Pace is one of them but there is much more needed to utilize it. Against parked busses, I wouldn't say pace is useless but you have to move the ball very cleverly to make use of it. You can't use it through the middle since it's packed there, only on the flanks. And we all know that traditional wingers who just run to the byline aren't used as much anymore. Wide players usually want to come inside, and are much more skilled than a traditional winger.

Countering is of course when pace is most needed, but as we have seen this season, even with so many quick players, it's difficult to utilize when you have so many who lack many of the skills or brains needed to make it work. Many of the attributes I listed above are things you get better at through experience. And our pacey players are young so I'm hoping they will learn and improve but the problem is that we need players who are proven to deliver instantly, if we want to have any chance to fight at the top next year.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

The ability to 'beat a man' seems to go hand-in-hand with the most commonly expressed concerns about 'pace' on this forum, which is why I mentioned it. I'd also argue that tactical and technical development in England has suffered more because of a preference for physicality rather than out-right pace, but that's a different topic altogether. Back to the list, world class attacking players with little-to-no pace. Care to venture any? In the past 12 months you might include larger #9s like Ibrahimovic and Dzeko and in terms of attacking midfielders... perhaps Eriksen.
Isco, Ozil, kroos and Fabregas to name a few

prtk0811

Madrid are already managing his minutes (<40 games a season for the past 2yrs) to prolong him in la liga and you want him to come to EPL, where there are more games and is physically more demanding, and still give you 2 seasons as a starter? He definitely cannot cope with the physical demands needed to do so. Bayern and Juve play in a slower leagues, so yes an old man can still perform for them.

You are the same guy that accuses Mourinho of playing Pogba out position but now want us to buy an aged Modric to play him out of position late in his career. His mobility and acceleration are a big part of his current role, and his passing range is not wide enough to be a DLP. So he will need at least a season to settle into such a new role. He is simply not worth it.

Modric is past his prime and unless he is available for free and ready to be coming off the bench, he is not worth the risk.

Also we dont need a DLP. Pogba is the playmaker, for better or worse. He has the ability and has shown it this season. what Pogba needs is a solid DM with decent abilities on the ball. That covers up his defensive shortcomings and gives him more offensive freedom.

Even if you want a playmaker, there are better options like Veratti or younger ones like Weigl or Paredes.

We should be assembling the core of our team that will last for the next 3-5 seasons, not inheriting other clubs retirees.
Even more better in that case when we can manage his minutes with a new dm. Still good enough to contribute at top level and will be an asset to control the midfeild against the likes of city liv chelsea and arsenal games as well as cl games . He aint a tackler but a cdm like carrick role he can still do it very nicely , he does not need to be a physical player to do that. Carrick is not physical , never was.

Even carrick is past his prime but he steadied pogba in a mid 3 playing with him and got better out of him. Veratti is ungettable because he will be barca bound while weighlis too young right now , he can developmore before a big move and also german players dont playin england much.

you need exp at top level in big cl games , Pogba is not readyfor that level yet, you need someone to add exp in cl games having a too young midfeild does not help. Modric can still play 3-4 years. We are fighting against pep klopp pochetino conte in this league , exp is a must in a squad and modric can play deep play maker role well.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
This guy would be a legend for Manchester United. Trust me on this.

That little left cannon :drool:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He provides solutions these 2 can't provide. Really tired of this comparison. Even Mata and Mikhi have different play style than each other.
The comparison comes from them all playing in similar positions and them all ideally needing to start. Obviously they have different playing styles, most players do.

Enigma_87

You know who
I will take James. Alli is younger and faster, but James offers more dimensions.
I agree but thought I'd be the only one :D
Alli will be +90m, 90m looks even cheap, I think it'll be +100m.

Of course I will take Alli but James is cheaper and will do the job.
I was referring if they were valued at about the same. I know that Spurs would ask a lot more, just the general perception of people comparing James to say Alli.

Obiorahking_

Starting to warm up to him 75 goals and assists in 110 appearances(not discounting the fact he has a significant amount of sub appearances in there) is pretty ridiculous.He is still a world class player, and at 50m, we are robbing them. Not to mention, he brings the finishing we have been lacking.

el3mel

The comparison comes from them all playing in similar positions and them all ideally needing to start. Obviously they have different playing styles, most players do.
Why all of them need to start ? They definitely don't. Mata has been playing as a starter and as a sub with no problems this season.

Any top team needs depth in its squad, so we can rotate between different competitions.

Infra-red

Isco, Ozil, kroos and Fabregas to name a few
Fabregas and Kroos are predominately midfield players and have been for 3+ seasons. Ozil? Lazy perhaps, slow no - he was part of the best counterattacking side in Europe for three years. Isco certainly isn't fast, neither is David Silva, nor particularly is Bernado Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.