James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The old thread was in the transfer forum and no longer available to reply in.

We've all been talking about him, how much would it cost to prize him from Monaco?? He's been absolutely stunning.. wouldn't buy him as a wide-man, he's someone to build your team round as a number 10. He's not a columbian Ronaldo, different type of player in my opinion.. much better vision and game intelligence, arguably less explosive and less effective out wide but in a free role, as we have seen he has been devastating.

Will the likes of Real be sniffing round? thoughts..

Cina

well he cost them €40m or something didn't he? So probably a shitload, especially after his WC so far.

His goal last night was :drool:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:drool:

Everyone was quite keen before his surprising move to Monaco.

He must be on massive wages, plus they're in the UCL next season.

Would cost minimum of 40m Euro to even start talking, especially after his WC thus far.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
His pass before it was sublime too, very hard to think of that in the split second he had with the ball and then to spot the run. He also has bundles of energy and a great work ethic to go with the talent.

Probably a good thing he never came to us when he did, as a winger I can't see him having as much of an impact.

Danny Boi

Would absolutely love to have him but we are well stocked in the No.10 position already and most other areas of the pitch are in need of strengtening so it would be stupid to spend 40m on him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Would absolutely love to have him but we are well stocked in the No.10 position already and most other areas of the pitch are in need of strengtening so it would be stupid to spend 40m on him.
If it was a guarantee we could get him, I'd sell Mata/Rooney.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
:drool:

Everyone was quite keen before his surprising move to Monaco.

He must be on massive wages, plus they're in the UCL next season.

Would cost minimum of 40m Euro to even start talking, especially after his WC thus far.
Well clubs like this dont seem to hang on to players for very long, Monaco are relatively unknown, I have football loving mates that say "Where did that Falcao go, was it PSG?" so a player can always push for a move out of not liking the league, the environment will be gorgeous in Monaco and the its a tax heaven but young players like him shouldnt be playing for clubs like that.

After watching a few French games on BT its safe to say its a dire league where the real competition is in the 3rd-7th places with the likes of Lyon, Marseille battling it out. I doubt at 21-22 hes really interested in staying there for too long.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well clubs like this dont seem to hang on to players for very long, Monaco are relatively unknown, I have football loving mates that say "Where did that Falcao go, was it PSG?" so a player can always push for a move out of not liking the league, the environment will be gorgeous in Monaco and the its a tax heaven but young players like him shouldnt be playing for clubs like that.

After watching a few French games on BT its safe to say its a dire league where the real competition is in the 3rd-7th places with the likes of Lyon, Marseille battling it out. I doubt at 21-22 hes really interested in staying there for too long.
Yeah agreed, though the landscape is changing quite a bit now with all the money on offer.

Monaco/PSG really need to offer massive salaries to attract these players but guys in their peak, like Luiz/Thiago/Falcao are there. Monaco especially, with their current tax laws etc, you might say he shouldn't be there but if they're regularly competing in the UCL, regularly competing for their league etc, I think there's a point where earning 400%-500% more becomes integral for footballers. Even young ones.

Then there's only Real/Barca/City etc who would even dare try and match their wages.

He might never win the Ballon d'Or there, but it might also not be his goal, who knows.

I agree with you - young players shouldn't want to play there and he might seek to move on in another year or 2 (especially if all the attraction/attention is in England/Spain).

johnmufc

The **** of the number 10 on this site has to stop. They are not living in the world of modern football. Every modern playmaker, including James, has the qualities to excel in any attacking role. James is a phenomenon, and he would excel for us or any club centrally, on the left, or on the right. Mata has played most of his career for Valencia, and much of it for Chelsea, as a wide player. If a player like Kagawa can only truly excel in that fabled number 10 position, then perhaps it is a sign of his limitations as a player.

Of course we have zero chance of ever signing James, but we can dream.

GledTheRed

2011–12 season[edit]
In the 2011–12 season, Rodríguez scored 14 goals for Porto and delivered 11 assists. Rodrigeuz along with others from the team were given racing horses as part of a team building exercise, Rodriguez's horse Barker never left the gates in three races.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
The **** of the number 10 on this site has to stop. They are not living in the world of modern football. Every modern playmaker, including James, has the qualities to excel in any attacking role. James is a phenomenon, and he would excel for us or any club centrally, on the left, or on the right. Mata has played most of his career for Valencia, and much of it for Chelsea, as a wide player. If a player like Kagawa can only truly excel in that fabled number 10 position, then perhaps it is a sign of his limitations as a player.

Of course we have zero chance of ever signing James, but we can dream.
To be fair, I always thought of him as a Left Winger, isnt that where he played the other night and got his goal from?

In Rainbows

I thought James always played on the left wing until this past season. What is the point in bringing up Kagawa?

Santos J

I thought James always played on the left wing until this past season. What is the point in bringing up Kagawa?
Played all over at Porto really but down the middle is where he's played for the most part. Played out wide right for Monaco a bit this season too.

Ruht

So his name isn't pronounced Jaym- ss?
Sadly, no. It's pronounced as Hames.

Brilliant footballer though, has lit up the WC so far. Such a shame he plays for Monaco.

Ruht

As did I. Such composure in that finish. I've been limited to the minutes I've seen him play as I don't watch the French league that much, but he has impressed me a lot every time I've seen him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Monaco relatively unknown? I think that it's one of the most successful French/Liga 1 clubs in its modern history (after Lion and Olympic). They were in CL final not so long ago.

NK86

Were we not linked with him for something like 30 million pounds a couple of years back?

Santos J

Hardly. They might not be the most attracitve proposition due the the league but the money sure makes up for that & they're hardly a club that's come out of the blue with money. They were Champions League finalists in 2004 & are one of the most successful clubs in their league.

Were we not linked with him for something like 30 million pounds a couple of years back?
Yeah while he was at Porto, we didn't want to pay the asking price though apparently and he subsequently went to Monaco for €45m.

Wayne's World

Stick a €40 million bid into Monaco and test their resolve. FFS we are meant to have 200 million to spend and James has the potential to our new Ronaldo for us.

His performances at times for Monaco were a bit indifferent last season but he would be worth the risk. Saying that If he continues the way he's going, one of the big Spanish clubs will take him

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's class. I do hope that he isn't with Monaco for too long (for the sake of being able to watch him on a bigger stage than Ligue 1).

Colombia have a great mix of technique, pace, power and scoring ability in the attacking areas. After the re-emergence of counter-attacking over pass pass pass, they'll be a well-followed team by the neutrals the more they progress.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He played on the left of a front 3 at Porto didn't he?

Eerily calm in front of goal
He played left and right, but more often and better on the right. He really isn't the sort to go to the line and cross, so left side doesn't do him much good.

ottosec

Great little player.

I think it would be difficult for anyone to get him off Monaco for now because of his salary. Monaco doesn't have tax, if I am not mistaken, so basically his net salary is the same to his brut salary. If somebody would like to buy him, basically they must offer him at least twice the salary he has now, which is probably a lot anyway.

shivab

great player. but we have mata so we dont need him, even though he has the potential to eventually be better than mata. He has a remarkable tendancy to provide key passes and his stats for that are amazing. But he doesnt have much pace and doesnt track back much either so his best pos is no. 10 where we have enough players already.

Instead, imo, we need a pacey skillfull hard working winger like Lucas from Brazil or Alexis Sanchez.

Telcontar

I am thinking, maybe it would be nice if LvG sent Kagawa back to Dortmund, and use that to add funds and get this little gem.. He is super at the World Cup, we should sign him if we can, I think passing on this opportunity (if there is opportunity) would be equal to letting Robben / Ronaldinho go, Mata or no Mata in the team.

shivab

I am thinking, maybe it would be nice if LvG sent Kagawa back to Dortmund, and use that to add funds and get this little gem.. He is super at the World Cup, we should sign him if we can, I think passing on this opportunity (if there is opportunity) would be equal to letting Robben / Ronaldinho go, Mata or no Mata in the team.
firstly, i dont think there is an opportunity. theres no way Monaco would sell him and even if they did the price would be astronomical given that it cost atleast 30 million to sign him from porto.

a team has to be balanced. playing rooney van persie mata and someone like rodriguez would not be balanced team defensively. we need to address whats most lacking, and thats not a playmaker like rodriguez, its genuine world class pace and threat from the wings, a world class CM, CB and LB. splurging money on him is not what we need to do. that being said, he is a world class player and if he becomes available we should sign him to replace rooney maybe in a year or so.

fallengt

He's not a no 10 in traditional sense. I followed him a bit when he were linked with United, He can play any where behind striker but mostly as a winger when he was at Porto. If we sold Young, Nani we might he a room for him in the team but anyway I don't think Monaco would sell him for anything less than €50m.

shivab

He's not a no 10 in traditional sense. I followed him a bit when he were linked with United, He can play any where behind striker but mostly as a winger when he was at Porto. If we sold Young, Nani we might he a room for him in the team but anyway I don't think Monaco would sell him for anything less than €50m.
he is a no. 10 as much as david silva is a no.10. he might be playing on the wing but drifting inward and controlling the game and playing crucial passes is what hes good at. he more often than not ends up drifting inwards and playing behind the striker. if we want pace on the wings then rodriguez is not your guy.

fallengt

he is a no. 10 as much as david silva is a no.10. he might be playing on the wing but drifting inward and controlling the game and playing crucial passes is what hes good at. he more often than not ends up drifting inwards and playing behind the striker. if we want pace on the wings then rodriguez is not your guy.
Well I said he isn't a no 10 in traditional sense who play in a hole between midfielder and striker to link up attack. At Porto James played mostly as right winger but he's adapted his football as an ACM now, just like Messi who originally was a winger/inside forward(the role that you described). Anyway My point is rather than simple, he can play on the wing, both wings.

Last edited:

Lane

It's completely unrealistic. Maybe next year if he gets sick of france league. And even there we would have to beat Real, Barca and City, Chelsea at least probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.