James Ward Prowse | this isn’t a performance thread | signed for WH

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm amazed it's taken this long for us to be linked with this guy. And I've heard worse ideas: this guy can actually pass to guys wearing the same shirt as his and finds teammates with corners. We've forgotten how to do both those things!

Seriously, he seems to have a good engine and good attitude and, I guess, wouldn't break the bank. And we have to be realistic, we are unlikely to get the very best in the world right now.

Will we get him? Probably not...

ForeverRed1

Would love this signing. He signed a 5 year contract last year though if I’m correct? So he would cost a bomb? Or does he have any clauses?

He has such a good attitude though, total professional.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Think it would be a waste of a transfer. Garner is a similar profile of midfielder without the direct free kick prowess, he created 4-5 chances from his corners yesterday and I think we should give him a chance. We need a defensive midfielder first and foremost. I think we have loads of midfielders that can do that box to box role.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think it would be a waste of a transfer. Garner is a similar profile of midfielder without the direct free kick prowess, he created 4-5 chances from his corners yesterday and I think we should give him a chance. We need a defensive midfielder first and foremost. I think we have loads of midfielders that can do that box to box role.
Agreed. Spend on a quality defensive midfielder first and foremost. The box to box midfield spot can be taken by Fred/VDB/Garner/Mejbri for now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ward Prowse is pretty good defensively, and I think we've seen that our youngsters don't seem to be making the grade as per 1992. Successive managers have barely promoted any of them - even Rashford only got a chance because of injuries

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Agreed. Spend on a quality defensive midfielder first and foremost. The box to box midfield spot can be taken by Fred/VDB/Garner/Mejbri for now.
Beek isn't good enough as a 6 or 8 for the PL (jury still out as a 10, could work under Ten Hag) and I wouldn't want to be relying on two youngsters with barely a kick of PL football in there.

Getting a proper DM in is the absolute priority of course, but finding another body for the midfield at the right price with Pogba going is something we need to be looking at as well imo.

Andersons Dietician

I'm amazed it's taken this long for us to be linked with this guy. And I've heard worse ideas: this guy can actually pass to guys wearing the same shirt as his and finds teammates with corners. We've forgotten how to do both those things!

Seriously, he seems to have a good engine and good attitude and, I guess, wouldn't break the bank. And we have to be realistic, we are unlikely to get the very best in the world right now.

This feels like a move 4 years too late for me. He is a good midfielder and maybe that is what we need. His Deadball delivery is arguably one of the best around but if the price I just read they want for him is anywhere near true that will be a no thanks. Doubt it’s a true price but 75mil for James- Ward -Prowse. Having a laugh.

If he could be picked up for 20-30 mil then sure he’d be perfect but not someone you blow the majority of your budget on.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Average player outside of set pieces.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Ward Prowse is pretty good defensively, and I think we've seen that our youngsters don't seem to be making the grade as per 1992. Successive managers have barely promoted any of them - even Rashford only got a chance because of injuries
It’s a fair point. It should be noted Garner averages more tackles and interceptions, a different league granted but still notable. For the second midfield profile, I think ten Hag will be looking for someone who is better in possession than both Garner and Ward Prowse.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nah not for me. Think people get caught up in his excellent free kicks (which would be nice to have). Aside from that he’s just not good enough for the level we need. We are desperate for a Modric, Veratti, Kroos, level midfielders in that profile where they can really control a game. I’d honestly still prefer Neves as a cheap option but think the scouts should do their job and find someone who will be the next star in that position. Failing that go all in on De Jong. He’s the perfect profile.

Classical Mechanic

Nah not for me. Think people get caught up in his excellent free kicks (which would be nice to have). Aside from that he’s just not good enough for the level we need. We are desperate for a Modric, Veratti, Kroos, level midfielders in that profile where they can really control a game. I’d honestly still prefer Neves as a cheap option but think the scouts should do their job and find someone who will be the next star in that position. Failing that go all in on De Jong. He’s the perfect profile.
Agree with you on JWP but Wolves are talking £100m for Neves so he's far from cheap.

C'est Moi Cantona

If we were just polishing the team off then maybe, but we're not, so not sure we can afford a luxury like this when there are so many more obvious holes in the team we need to spend money on this summer.

Classical Mechanic

Can’t see that. He’s gonna leave on a free otherwise so I think you’d pick him up for £20-£30 million.
I highly doubt it. Wolves are quoting £100m so I think they'll want at least £50m considering the contract situation. I don't see a situation where they quote £100m and then accept £20m.

didz

There's no way we can afford £75m on a Ward-Prowse type. We've got like 8 signings we need to make!

Wouldn't it be funny if it happened and Klopp came out with "well his corners are worth £60m"?

Mainoldo

75m. No thanks. Lower clubs must think we are funding new training facilities for everyone.

Dante

Average bang
He has all the tools to be a world class right wingback. Probably too old to convert at this stage in his career, though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I highly doubt it. Wolves are quoting £100m so I think they'll want at least £50m considering the contract situation. I don't see a situation where they quote £100m and then accept £20m.
I’d get in his ear then and try and pick him up on a free when he’s available. Wolves will have to cave because I can’t see anyone paying that for him.

big_jeffstar

there's absolutely no way on earth we're throwing 75m at JWP, the papers are just desperate for clicks because there's not a lot to write about until the summer.. it's amazing to me that we're seeing "the best premier league teams ever" battle it out for either first or second, Liverpool possibly on the verge of a quadruple.. and yet the papers are desperate for United stories, because those two aren't interesting enough.

JuriM

He has all the tools to be a world class right wingback. Probably too old to convert at this stage in his career, though.
Mate, have you been playing Fm22 lately :D? I legit have a Pep Esque tactic where JWP is insane as an Inverted right wingback :D

On a serious note, he is a quality player but the quoted price is insane and I am rather sure nobody in top6 is ready to buy him for that, unfortunately.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Who is linking us to him? Provide a source if you're going to start a thread on it.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yeah, he’s not good enough for a top team. Classic mid-table player.

He should fit right in.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's a good, solid PL midfielder, who also happens to have arguably the best set-piece delivery in PL history (he's up there with Becks anyway). I've always liked him and if we could get him for fairly cheap I'd definitely be happy, but I can't see him being cheap and he's not good enough outside of the set pieces to be worth paying what it would probably take.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
We literally have James Garner who can fulfill everything this guy does and is pulling up trees on his loan and doing everything asked of him. Can't believe people want to spunk £75 mil on the guy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We literally have James Garner who can fulfill everything this guy does and is pulling up trees on his loan and doing everything asked of him. Can't believe people want to spunk £75 mil on the guy.
No he cant. And you're basing this off a championship season :lol:

phelans shorts

You want somebody of those guys level, and you name Ruben Neves? Huh?

flappyjay

Beek isn't good enough as a 6 or 8 for the PL (jury still out as a 10, could work under Ten Hag) and I wouldn't want to be relying on two youngsters with barely a kick of PL football in there.

Getting a proper DM in is the absolute priority of course, but finding another body for the midfield at the right price with Pogba going is something we need to be looking at as well imo.
Going into the season we should have mcfred, dm and new cm. We will have 5 pl subs from next season mejbri and Garner will have to impress on those minutes or get rid of mctominay. Beek and Bruno will have to fight it out for the offensive midfielder spot.

Castia

For a fair price he would be a good squad player but I'm reading £60-£70 million for James Ward Prowse?? Noooo thanks.

English talent/the majority of PL signings are a complete rip off we need to stay clear unless we can strike a good deal

Trequarista10

I've wondered if a top club would use him as an attacking RB/RWB. He's filled in there for Southampton, and started off as a winger. Similiar to Milner in a sense, or Young/Valencia, Delph at City, Hargreaves for a brief stint for us erc

For me, it's a no as a pure CM, but a yes as a versatile squad option who could cover CM and RB.

redshaw

Again a player who's just signed a long contract and needs mega money to move.

Zoo

I like him but was shocked to read he was 27, genuinely thought he a few years younger. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.